Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is a woman? **Mod Note In Post #294**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭ruth...less

John Mongrel can give you the answer op lol 😂 😆🤣 only joking…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,681 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dickdasr1234

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭AyeGer

If you have to transition into a sex then you are not that sex.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Hoboo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭AyeGer

I’m watching the Masters and feel like a professional golfer so today I am identifying as a professional golfer, anyone disagrees will be cancelled. I’m taking golf lessons to help me transition. .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

• Advertisement

Take your own ^ advice, hun. (referencing your original post, wherein you proclaimed anyone who dare nay agree with you as homophobic.)

I follow a trans woman Cara Cunningham and she had a post a while ago and I can't find it now but it was so clear and honest. She doesn't deny her past or the fact she was born male. She lives as a woman now and I have no doubt if I worked with her or she was my neighbour we'd be besties lol 😁 not that that means anything ...I just mean she is absolutely a woman to me.

There are certain things in the trans community I don't agree with like I saw something a while ago of someone having a 'funeral' for their past self and I don't think that's healthy. I think acceptance of who you are is a big thing with anyone regardless.

I think most people don't really give a **** but some people online are fearful cause when things like getting rid of words like 'mother' and 'woman' or whatever…people feel like their own identity is being attacked and it's something they have heavily relied on psychologically throughout their own life...not by choice but it's who they were assigned to be. I personally relate heavily to being a woman and I can understand why people feel defensive about that word and also I can't understand trans women wanting to abolish it since it's who they relate to most?

I think there's a lot of crap that goes on online and it's arguments mostly dominating from people on either side who are fearful of their own identity or their own desires and the majority of people are in a reasonable arena.

I never said that. You are making things up now. Just leave it out. Enjoy your day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

You said “transphobic” but other than that he had it word for word. And you’re wrong.

Try leaving out the circular logic and have another go.

Transphobia and homophobia aren't the same thing. But what ever you are into yourself.

• Advertisement

Well CLEARLY or I’d have agreed it was an accurate representation of your comment!!!

Not getting a genuine feeling off this; so to ignore you go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭volchitsa

This is not even true for mammals: young female cats and dogs often end up pregnant earlier than they are physically or mentally able to cope. Seems weird saying it like that, but a bitch who is too young will often fail to care for her pups properly, and her body also suffer from early pregnancies.

So having sexual capacity to just get pregnant, or indeed to carry a pregnancy to term and give birth, is not really "adulthood". And that's only among cats and dogs. It's even more the case in human society, where raising the resulting children to adulthood successfully is FAR more complex again.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

All of this re-enforces my position that defining an adult is hard enough and is open to debate, so it makes no sense for people to declare 'A woman is an adult human female' as if this is a clear scientific fact that cannot ever be open to interpretation

These labels and categories and definitions are context dependent and can change over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭KevMayo88

Yea, but if you have a schlong, you are a dude.

It really doesn’t.

At ANY point in the sexual development of a female she becomes male, then we’ll talk.

Spoiler alert - can’t happen.

• Advertisement

We're not talking about male vs female or biological sex, we're talking about gender

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭KevMayo88

You cannot change your gender. All the leftie and wokeist nonsense wordplay can't change cold facts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Shes a man pretending or who thinks she is a women, She is NOT a women ,I'm not sure when telling the truth became WRONG or offensive, Her life choices are her own and all power to her as long as she isn't hurting anyojne ,

There's is massive hint on the first 5 words you typed ye see a real women is someone who doesn't have to put Trans infront of the women part,

Genders themselves can change, given that gender and gender roles, and responsibilities and rights and privileges etc are very different depending on the time and place you ask about

https://www.britannica.com/list/6-cultures-that-recognize-more-than-two-genders

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Really? And science has developed techniques for transition gender - but hey, what do scientists know…

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Sex = male or female?

Gender= male, female, non binary, agender etc etc.? Is that what you are saying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Biological sex, but yeah - pretty much. That's my take on it anyway.

Science, though, has developed procedures for transition.

Not sure if the question is for me personally, or Science. I'm just quoting the scientific stance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TokTik

How many transwomen can give birth? Scientific transition?? It’s just extreme body modification. Do you think the below is an actual lizard? Scientific transition has developed procedures for him to be green, with a forked tongue, subdermal implants and sharpened teeth. It’s ridiculous.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lizardman_%28performer%29

Well, take that up with scientists and tell them you know more than they do. Let me know how you get on

Okay that's fine, we're in agreement there. My position is that I'm absolutely delighted for an adult to act/dress/behave in whatever way they deem appropriate to their chosen gender, including a gender they may have just made up that very day, as long as it doesn't incommode other people excessively.

(For example, somebody dressed as a rainbow monkey with a giant dildo hanging out would definitely count as excessive in my book )

And I also think that we need to distinguish between biological sex, which is physical and is the correct criterion to determine who has access to sex-segregated sports or spaces etc, from gender, which is a social construct which will vary from one society, or even group of people within a society, to another.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Ballygowen

What is a woman?

Lena Olin

Sharon Tobin

Emily Maitless

Sheryl Crow

Summer Brielle

Miranda Kerr

Jessica Drake

I said science - as in a body of people who have conducted research from a neutral standpoint.

Not one person with an opinion. (On a completely different topic, btw - were not talking about surgery)

Professor Winston is not just "one person with an opinion" though. He's one of the foremost researchers into human fertility, ie SEX.

His opinion is based on years of research and study into human sex. It's not just a random opinion from a random person - not even when that person is a scientist of some description, unless their expertise is in human biology. And even then, Prof Winston almost certainly outranks them in knowledge and expertise.

In fact there can only be a handful of people in the world whose level of expertise on this subject is comparable to his.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TokTik

Science like the Cass report??

What scientific tests are there to determine someone’s gender? How do I find out what gender I am, for example??

He's still.just one person. You said it yourself: 'His *opinion* is based on...." unless he's carried out the research. Also you havent actually told me what is opinion actually IS.

Furthermore,, he hasn't commented on what a woman is or not, unless your point is that bring a woman involves surgery.

He wasn't asked what a woman is, but when he created the world's first test tube baby, he clearly had no problem identifying the sex that carries babies to birth and the one that just provides the sperm.

It makes you look silly trying to claim that he's just another person with an opinion.

Specially when you haven't managed to name any of these scientists you appear to think would say he was wrong.

And if you'd watched the clip or even read the headline I linked to you'd know what his opinion was: it's that we are born male or female, ie that our sex is observed not assigned, and that we cannot change that sex no matter what mutilating surgery is carried out on our bodies. ("Mutilating" was his word, not mine, before you get annoyed).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭89897

It baffles me why people care so much. What is it to anyone if someone identifies as trans or not? How does it effect your day to day?

Haven't read it, don't know. I asked you what science says about transitioning gender, you never replied - what does the Cass report say about transitioning gender?

"He wasn't asked what a woman is…." - and therin lies the irrelevance.

The problem here is an "appeal to authority": you don't say HOW his point contradicts mine, and it actually doesn't.

Dr. Robert Winston also said in an interview with Piers Morgan that you CAN change gender but you can't change biological sex (something I'd agree with - apologies if I was unclear).

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=413574834126288 (about the 2.00 mark)

——

You guys are both making a case against specifically surgical transitioning and therin lies the block: surgery does not have to be involved for transition. Scientifically or legally. I honestly don't know enough about the surgical process to comment about it.

• Advertisement

You need to know what the Cass report says about transitioning gender then, otherwise your opinion is based on ignorance. Which was my point about your claim as to what various unnamed scientists supposedly think.

Even the Guardian accepts that Cass says that social transitioning (never mind medicating someone) is not a neutral act, but rather reinforces the dysphoria and makes it harder for the child to "retransition" back to its natal sex.

Cass is also clear that socially transitioning a child – treating them as though they are of the opposite sex – is a psychological intervention with potentially lasting consequences and an insufficient evidence base

I think we're going off on another tangent here!

My point is: transitioning gender is scientifically possible.

My question is: are you sure the Cass report contradicts this?

Yep. at the end of the day, they're just words

What you identify as doesn't affect me in any way, I call myself a Man, but I've never shot an animal. Some 'manly' types might say you're not a 'real man' until you've killed something and provided food for your family, I don't agree. Some people say 'Man Up' to refer to 'male traits' or male gender roles that I might think are antiquated or could apply equally to any mature adult…

Some people might say 'you're not a real woman until you've had a baby' which would be pretty annoying to women who consider themselves to be real women with or without ever having borne a child..

Man, woman, boy, girl, child, adolescent, teenager, young adult, mature adult, straight, gay, lesbian, queer, bisexual, transsexual, Cis……… etc etc etc etc etc etc

They're just words that do not actually change who people are. What really matters is that we treat everyone with respect and if they genuinely want to be called something that reflects their identity, we should respect that unless they're clearly trolling us (which some people do) or they're clearly just attention seeking or putting on some kind of act or performance.

This works both ways, it means if someone is identifying as a gender or role that does not match their outward appearance, they should be ok if people accidentally misidentify them and not go seeking offense (I think it's only a tiny minority of people who actually do this)

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Kingslayer

We all know at least one woman, your mam. Not all women are mothers but all mothers are women.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Jaffa3000

Because they end up demanding you refer to them as a man or woman when they factually aren’t and plenty of people believe (in fact I’d say the majority) that to be nonsense.

Plenty of people believe that the flat is Earth or that there's a magical invisible man in the sky that we need to worship, but of course, that's not nonsense - is it?

Again, science is founded by physics, experiments and research; not democratic majorities :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Jaffa3000

There is no science that says a man can become a woman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

You sure you’re not mixing up Robert Winston with Robert Edwards?

He wasn't asked what a woman is, but when he created the world's first test tube baby, he clearly had no problem identifying the sex that carries babies to birth and the one that just provides the sperm.

Just on that…

On 10 November 1977, Lesley Brown underwent a procedure, later to become known as in vitro fertilisation(IVF), developed by Patrick SteptoeRobert Edwards, and Jean Purdy. Purdy was the first to see her embryonic cells dividing. Edwards, as the only surviving partner, was awarded the 2010 Nobel Prize in Medicine for this work. In March 2022, a plaque was installed on Royal Oldham Hospital to record the importance of Sister Muriel Harris and Jean Purdy to the work. Although the media referred to Brown as a "test tube baby", her conception actually took place in a Petri dish.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louise_Brown

Although Ms Purdy developed processes that are still part of IVF treatments today, her role was largely forgotten in the IVF story and the Nobel Prize committee.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2018-07-25/first-ivf-baby-louise-joy-brown-turns-40/10017032

The science of reproductive medicine has moved well beyond Winston’s understanding. Winston is no more than a decrepit old fart in terms of what modern science and medicine is discovering in the area of human fertility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭PoisonIvyBelle

God not this again.

I have my own belief on what a woman is. I believe there are women born as women, not CIS or any of that, just women, and there are trans-women also - who are trans. They are both different and that's fine. It doesn't take away from a trans-woman's right to exist. However, I say this and I get left wingers at me for being "transphobic" by simply acknowledging trans women have had a different lived experience to women born as women, and then I get right wingers at me for saying trans-women fall into the overall category of women. I have a trans person in my life and have had conversations about this quite a lot in order to understand it as much as I can.

Regardless of all of that, it's not my business what anyone chooses to think or what their opinion is and it's not anyone's business what mine is. Live and let live.

Ok, but how does that affect the conversation.

If you meet someone who looks like she might be a mammy. She may even have adopted a child, she adopts the outward appearance of a woman, refers to herself as a woman, is a mother to a child, acts and behaves in a way typically associated with women in her culture, but secretly has a penis.

What actual difference does that make to anyone. Do you go around wondering about the genitals of every mother you meet on the street? If you found out that this person had a penis through some kind of 'outing' against her will, would you insist on treating her differently, as a man? Why would you do that? what benefit would it give to you or to her? or the child she is mothering?

On the other hand, if a trans person had a child as a young woman, maybe she was married young a few decades ago when it was extremely common for women to hide their sexual identity and just go along with the assigned gender roles.

Later on, that person decides that they have never been comfortable as a woman and has always wanted to be identified as a man, goes through the social transition and is now outwardly identifiable as a man. Their child accepts the transition and everyone they know refers to them as a man. If you were to find out that person had been born female and had a child several decades earlier when they had no socially acceptable way for them to live the life they really wanted. Would you insist on calling that person a woman?

Its all well and good having anonymous opinions on the internet about the philosophical basis for taxonomical categorisation of people into categories that you have always felt you understood, but these are real situations that real people find themselves in, in their real lives. And if you would be happy to go up to an actual person and deliberately offend them to their face by calling them the name or gender that they explicitly and obviously do not want to be referred by, then you need to ask what are your actual objectives here, and are you acting like the person you want to be.

Demanding?

Most trans people don't demand anything. They just would like it if people treated them nicely and respected their choices.

In the real world most people just want to live their lives in peace. If someone looks and acts like a woman, and wants to be referred to as a woman. Just call her a woman.

If someone is being unreasonable or has a personality that you find really grating, you're still entitled to not like them. There are loads of people I don't like, I find them annoying to deal with, but I still treat them with respect when I meet them and don't call them by some nickname that I know will annoy them because that would be a scummy thing to do as an adult dealing with other adults in the real world.

The kinds of people who spend their lives seeking offense and 'feel' that the trans community are making excessive demands of them, are just as obnoxious to me, as the small number of very outspoken 'activists' who are trying to monetise their sexual and gender identity by being as edgy and extreme as they can get away with.

In reality, you might walk past several trans people every time you go anywhere in public, and not even know that they were born a different gender to the one they are displaying in public.

Some of the people who choose to be easily recognised in public as trans, are doing so for their own reasons and if they annoy you, that's ok, but they're not representative of all trans people, just like you shouldn't see a drag queen on television and decide that's what all gay people are like.

• Advertisement
Advertisement