Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cities around the world that are reducing car access

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Conchir

Is there anything planned for the junction between Clare Street, Lincoln Place, and Nassau Street? At busy times cars block the junction trying to turn from Clare St onto Lincoln Place and buses then get blocked, causes massive issues for public transport all the way back up Nassau St, and Merrion Square/Mount St in the other direction.

Would be great to see some positive changes which cut this out, similar to the quays discussion above.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

you'd expect the removal of the Westland Row-Pearse St-Tara St option would reduce the amount of traffic going through that junction as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,415 ✭✭✭cgcsb

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Liffey Cycle Route has been cancelled, which is probably not a surprise when you look at the cost of it, the complexity and the fact that the Dublin City Transport Plan has essentially already replaced it with something a lot better.

Amazing that a project can be canned, and this is welcomed as a good thing. Some sea change over the years.

The bus gate on the quays should have been done in advance of luas Cross city and indeed that was the plan and the modelling scenario carried out as part of the luas bxd project but then dcc bottled it and the opening of bxd became a shitshow. They then fudged a busblane cross over ofln bachelors walk that made it slightly less of a shitshow. Now they've grown a pair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I can't read the thread because I don't have twitter but I assume part of the welcome for this news is that instead of trying to fudge one big project that garners lots of political opposition, we're getting a lot of sectional projects that essentially negate the point of the LCR

Plus we already have a lot of the North quays covered thanks to "temporary" projects that will undoubtedly be made permanent over time.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Essentially, yes. Goes into the fact that the original plan was designed the way it was so that councillors didn't have to vote to remove a traffic lane, but it meant that it required heavy engineering, which meant archeological digs were necessary, all of which drove the price up over 100 million, which meant it had to go before cabinet, etc.

The quick build stuff that has been put in already has made some of it redundant, while proving that removing car priority doesn't cause the end of the world. The Dublin City Transport Plan will greatly improve on even these.

A revised public realm scheme is still needed for the quays but the car free quays in the short term will be a dream, I can see footpath build outs galore on a temp basis and we can easily replace the the remaining quayside parking with better footpaths

• Registered Users Posts: 14,130 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

good idea for pedestrianised areas in ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭serfboard

Fantastic and very obvious idea which begs the question why this wasn't done sooner? And as someone remarked in the video, Wexford is almost the last place its needed.

Just shows what can happen when you have dynamic individuals who consult and get buy in, as opposed to the standard operating procedure in Ireland where people complain that something isn't being done and object when it is.

• Advertisement

Wonder why they didn't make it transparent, looks a little dark down there. Other than that it looks great, should be in many other places. Shop street in Galway is washed out of it 300 days a year it could really benefit from something like this. Plunkett street in Cork maybe. I don't think it'd be much use in Dublin tbh, its pretty dry generally and the streets are quite wide, maybe henry or capel street would be good candidates.

My only cencern is that it's retractable and how that is controlled. Will it be open while spilling rain because some lad in the council lost the keys or something.

it'll be interesting to see if this boosts footfall for the street's shops and pubs etc. i mean you're basically turning the street into a shopping mall type area. it really could change things for the street in a good way, you'd probably be far more likely to go there if you knew you could definitely sit outside and have a drink and wander around without worrying about the constant deluges we get in this country.

I seem to remember there was talk of roofing Henry St in Dublin years ago but it was treated like a joke, in the same league as the sort of cocaine fueled, celtic tiger hubris, that somehow ended up in the public sphere of debate like the artificial Island city in Dublin Bay, the Suas or the Midlands Airport

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭loco_scolo

They were even gonna roof Tuam back in the day! Good olde boom years!!

I wonder is it envisaged that the quays bus gates will be operated with camera enforcement in August?

If so expect the Irish state to become richer than the combined gulf states over night. Followed by an overwhelming volume of 'I didn't know' calls to whatever appeals office exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

I really like this surprisingly, in theory the idea of putting such an intensive opaque structure over a whole street sounds oppressive but this is quite atmospheric, reminiscent of the souks of the middle east.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

I think it only works for short stretches otherwise it's a bit much.

If it was proposed along an entire street length such as capel street I'd prefer waterproof sheets be placed at intervals along it like they do with sun stoppers on spanish and portuguese streets.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i doubt that'd work in the rain - would turn a heavy drizzle into a randomised heavy shower!

you'd need to be conscious of light levels - in places like spain where it's usually reliably very bright, the effect would be welcome. but on a dull day in ireland it could drop light levels too low.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,839 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Well it was done sooner, Cavan installed similar canopies when it hosted the All Ireland Fleadh more than a decade ago, as can be seen in the background here;

They didn't extend along the full length of the street, just strategic points along Main Street. They were very much temporary (the uprights were set in barrels filled with concrete) but were clear to allow light through. The structure in Wexford is obviously a higher quality finish and the lights are a nice addition. I wonder did they choose to have the roofing material that colour in anticipation of it becoming stained over time (seaside environment being particularly harsh).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Funnily enough, this particular scheme has been completed in time for this year's All-Ireland Fleadh, which Wexford are hosting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Something like the Meeting House Square umbrellas could be tried more widely. I'm not sure if they're still working as I haven't been through the square in a while but they were great and funnelled the rain rather than dumped it off the edges!

https://sha.ie/sha_projects/umbrellas-meeting-house-square/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

"people complain that something isn't being done and object when it is."

That sums it up. Why bother designing these street canopies when some tenement fetishists in Dundrum will object to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 The Mathematician

It seems that Susan Hall's attacks on the ULEZ in London didn't do her any good, and may even have done her harm. Perhaps the silent majority are in favour of them:

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2024/0504/1447349-mayoral-elections-uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Hard to parse, as the Tory vote was down, but it's been down across the country by much more.

Of course, the UK Green Party has been mopping up disenfranchised Labour votes too, so there's obviously a significant environmentally focused vote not being served there.

It's clear that it's far past time to stop listening to the noisy minority of the motor-obsessed

As a fanatical motorist entitlement hater and ex Londoner I'm delighted with Sadiq's victory today. I lived in an LTN in Hackney and it was fantastic, about a 15 minute cycle from Liverpool St station and basically no traffic outside our flat. Will be interesting to see how people cope with the bus gates on the quays etc. in Dublin when they come in, and if they'll want to go back to normal service after it's been there for some time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

You do not hear anyone campaigning for motor traffic to return to Grafton St or Henry St.

Once cars are gone from a street, they generally do not get to return.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Consonata

• Registered Users Posts: 11,993 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Weeps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭JohnC.

There's a weird and bigger than you might expect contingent in Waterford that want cars back in John Roberts Square and attached streets and the Quays turned back into a 4 lane racetrack too. Thankfully they won't get their way.

Advertisement