Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭farisfat

Have you part time labour that will look after robot if your away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

cows first day to grass 2024:)

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭grass10

Where I live when bulk milk collection started many moons ago all farmers pressed the button to put the tank washing themselves except where the farmer was maybe going to a wedding etc and he would ask the driver to put the tank washing to do him a favour in return the driver would get a very good present usually at the end of the year now what has happened is most farmers just expect it to be done automatically by the driver and with changes of drivers etc it can happen that the driver might forget or not know about washing the tank but where I come from its not in the drivers contract to wash the bulk tanks its a private arrangement between farmer and driver

Some young dairy farmers need to realise that you need to have curtisoty towards others including lorry drivers instead of throwing tantrums every day or else change and maybe be a tillage farmer or beef finisher and nobody will come into your yard and do any task in your yard for free and then you complain if he doesn't do it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭alps

Lightweight clusters are better for yourself as well. No need of weight, repetitive strain the only oucome.

SoSome of your older cows may not transition well to lighter cluster however, and may take quiet some time to milk out..b

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Most tanks now are very modern, just push a button to start wash. A good few farmers dont live on farm so if wash cycle takes 40 minutes it can hold up milking. Up to a few weeks ago milk man was collecting milk at 4am here,grand tank washed for me when I'd go out. Now he's here just after 8am, suits me as I dont have to pay for fully cooling the milk. He puts it on wash.. . He has also rang me at 4am to say there was a cow in difficulty calving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

You are a very young fellow.

Where I live when milk collection started. An open flat bed lorry pulled up to your gate and the driver and his helper rolled 10 gallon milk cans onto the lorry.

Then bulk milk collection started out of tanks. The driver would mostly give the inside of the tank a rinse of the water pipe beside, after collection, before the farmer when they arrived to put the water and detergent in and wash with a brush the inside of the tank.

Now Grass10 you are complaining of turning two knobs. And this you say is not normal for you. It's normal for as long as automated wash has been on tanks and milk collected.

Your some boy grass10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭older by the day

Blast it its only press two buttons. What is the big deal. Before the automatic washer, the tank driver used to open the cover and give it a splash of the water hose to stop the milk sticking. But now this fuuucker won't press a button. Jesus it's a pity he wasn't calling to my yard. Then again he wouldnt try that Crack here.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭grass10

I've no issue with pressing a button I am not a lorry driver nor have ever been I was merely responding to a rant by another poster who is not getting on with his lorry driver and it's very simple you either press the button yourself or arrange with the driver to do it but if you are not getting on with him its still your problem to ensure the tank is washed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭jaymla627

your not grasping my issue re leaving the chiller on, he hasnt put the wash on the last 5 collections i genuinely didnt care i put it on, but now he's trying to damage my equipment, but you cant seem to wrap your head around that, you have another agenda anyway i think ranting about dairy farmers been precious and soft, in any other industry where your providing circa 1 months work for a tanker and driver yearly youd be able to call the shots, why should i be beholden to the above driver

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭daiymann 5

Ive a fair few nr and there udders and teat placement are a disaster.There great cows otherwise but i wont use anymore

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

JJust curious have you discussed this with the driver

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

Just make him go to the trouble of calling you to move the tractor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭cosatron

i think Jay has an all picture no sound relationship with the driver

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

thats a shocking repose from your milk manager jay, he could be as much of your issue as the driver…..its common practice since i started milking the driver puts on the tank, the driver can arrive at any time of day or night, we appreciate each other…respect is everything in business….

every new driver that gets trained the owner of transport show them how to put on the wash on each tank, we never asked, were in food production hygiene is everything and a tank should always be closed, who knows what could crawl into it…

are you on the advisory committee? can you ask for it to be made mandatory….as its the standard every where outside loais

the biggest problem i see in tirlan is the inability to be able to sit down with anyone internally to resolve an issue, no matter how simple or complex they go on the defensive…..you'l have to go through council and board to get any satisfaction and you'l need as many people ringing them about it or they simply wouldnt bother….you have 3 issues milk manager, transport company and the individual driver…..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

Nobody is asking the lorry driver to get into a milk tank with a brush and marigold gloves. Its just a case of turning off cooler ( one switch) and turning on washer (another switch) .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

If he is not able to turn off cooler and turn on washer , the milk manager will have to arange a suitable time for him to collect , so that you will be there to supervise

I'd say he'd just drive off, they're supposed to have access

Any chance you d go for a job in the agri lending section of one of the banks?

The whole problem with milk collection is farmers milking times most farmers dont want lorry at all same time.i always work with driver to help him out it may mean milking an hour later in evening but farmers need to understand that these 50 euro notes and the likes dont help much at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭straight

I do suffer from repetitive strain but not from milking. Only 7 rows. Just saying I'd be buying them for the cows more than myself.

Maybe I could get liners with a smaller hole. I'll take to my milking machine man about it.

Our drivers have no problem replacing the cover on the outlet and pressing wash. We're blessed with very helpful drivers in fairness -tough job with long hours. They're coming to me every two days now because my tank is too small. Not a word of complaint out of them. They're going to other lads every day at peak.

What kpa is the clock on the vacuum line showing

Don't know. There's a red marker line on the gauge and it sits just to the right of it as usual. Must clean the regulator when I get a chance

I'd say you should get him to call out and test the machine. Even if 1 or 2 clusters are open the rest should be able to stay on the cows. I can't figure out your solution. Unless you are milking heifers with short shiny teats but even after a week that should sort itself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Have milked many three crosses but not in that order, I've montys of Norwegian red and jex cows. I would say a great cross for you system, the NRs are a super breed, seem to be able to adapt to high or low input while maintaining health and fertility . You should have enough size from the first cross.

GGenerally its 48 kpa.the rule used to be you should be able to throw off 2 clusters open and the rest should stay on the cows

Ya, I can do that. Loads of vacuum. 3 heifers last year had the machine falling off and are still not great. 2 or 3 more this year and same story. If they even take a step it falls off. I use kick bars to hold up the milk line for about 4 cows/heifers. I don't mind but disaster for relief milkers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭green daries

SSell The fuckers cows there offspring will be as bad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

When did you last change the liners? New liners are that bit less able to fall off.

Edit: it could even be a liner brand issue.

Theirs a really sinister element involved with this lad, all the above was done last year, after he forgot to collect us on a sunday collecton and had to ring milk manager on a monday morning wondering what the story was, no one in the factory had informed him re not been collected it was the first he heard of it, in the wind up a different lorry came that evening took 8k of milk from tank and the ole chap thinking he had emptied the tank, but hadnt bothered putting the wash on, as was usual at the time, put on the wash, with a 1000 litres of milk still in the tank….

The latest stroke he tried pulling involved leaving the pump running dry for a good 10 minutes after tank was emptied and was trying to say the yard been on a hill, the pump wasnt fit to lift the milk, learnt this from the driver who had been collecting the milk for the 4 months previous who had been sent up to do a collection to see was their actually a issue, when i mentioned the above re him spending half a hour in the yard when it should of been 10 mins, max to empty the tank

I'd pick my battles. A few early mornings the milkman here was in the yard for ages, 1 morning he was playing a game on his phone, Another he was waiting to get word back as to where he'd be offloading . Another morning the lorry was broke down. You're only concerned about your tank and milk not his pump on his lorry. Afaik the gps tracker thing will say how long he was in your yard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

I already have HolxNR. About 30% of them are excellent but the rest aren’t.
    I’d be wary of the 3 way cross for the reasons that Ginger22 points out. If they went back into Hol or Monty, I’d be more confident.
    There’s a guy getting out of dairy and joining his farm to his neighboring cereal farm. His production level is 6600L on grass based, so not bad at all..but this is his first foray into a 3 way cross.
    Interesting point…a Hol x Jer is called ‘an Irish’ and a 3 way cross is called ‘a Kiwi’.

Who does it serve that there’s an exemption from driver hours regulation?

It certainly doesn’t put any money into farmers pockets..but it allows Coops to sub the transport to unscrupulous operators that hire the cheapest drivers and squeeze the last out of them. Maybe bring the haulage up to 2024, proper hours, proper pay..and make the Coops take responsibility for an important part of their part in processing?

Post edited by K.G. on

• Advertisement

camera in dairy, putting one at covering the yard/dairy door in this week, just waiting on cctv lad to get it wired in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Get a nest camera. Set it up on WiFi. Sends a notification every time a person walks past and automatically records previous 3 hours of notified movements. Easy to download the video too. Can get ones with built in floodlights too.

thats what i have in dairy, have the floodlight one in calving shed with full 360 motion their a brilliant job

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭pg141

Make sure you have notices up that CCTV is in operation and has some sentence for monitoring people for safety and quality purpose . If this does turn into an issue and co-op go to sack him there case will fall apart as he not know the camera's were there or being used to monitor him

What did u find wrong with the norwegian red mine had bad teat placement.My cow of choice is nz friesian and british friesian

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,976 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The notice has only to be on display. From my understanding it can be an inch high at the bottom of a window. I

Slava Ukrainii

As whelan2 said, don't be worried about the lorry that's the coops problem.

From what you are telling us, it's a personal problem he has with you. Would you be better having a conversation with him, (not an argument), rather than ringing the manager. Maybe it would clear the air. Let bygones be bygones. I'm sure he is not making all those mistakes in every yard.

And if that doesn't work you can go to the coop.

My father used to say that water was as important as feed to a cow. And would go around and empty any old water in the troughs in spring. I do the same. I emptied one this evening and found the bones of a rat or bird or something the water was rancid. Its a good habit to check the water troughs after the winter

Apart from colouring or if there was a large size difference such as with a Jersey, I'm not sure what issues would be with a 3 way cross that there wouldn't be with a pure bred, apart from notional. Most traits are universal and varied across dairy cattle. A pure bred can take after any particular ancestor just as easy as a cross bred.

Apart from maybe one bull EGE, no such issues here, and they're all very good cows, functional and long lasting. Plenty udders here are off high ebi fr. What NR bulls were they off?

I find NZ Fr very prone to mastitis and SCC, probably due to their free milking and milk loss in cubicles. Calf quality is poor too, understandably.

They weren’t ‘milky’…bad feet, poor mobility etc.

3 way outcross, on paper, would indicate a lack of a genetic line or purity. Therefore you could get the worst of all 3 breeds.
    If he had gone back into Hol or Monty he’d have doubled down on those breeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,976 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The purpose of a three way cross is to keep hybrid vigor within the breeding. If your breed is 50/50 and you breed back with one of the orginall breed you lose hybrid vigor. To keep it you have to use a third breed.

To keep hybrid vigor you are trying to keep any one breed used as near to or below 50% if possible.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Talk of lightweight clusters got me thinking this morning, perfectly teated heifers you have to hold the cluster on for a little while to get a hold. It's something I always thought was normal. Machine tested fine and has new liners fitted. Delaval clusters that were high spec at the time and a big upgrade on what they replaced. I remember being warned it could be an issue changing at the time but it was seamless. Cow udder and milking speed is a lot better now I think a slightly bigger capacity and lighter cluster would be better. Afraid to ask how much though.

Have the light weight pearson clusters here. I think once a cluster has fallen off in the 5 months we've been using them. Used to have a pain in my shoulder from old parlour. That's gone

• Advertisement
Advertisement