Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford North Quays

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Valhalla90

looking forward to also seeing the plans! I hope the city gets a tall unique building. Something iconic.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Dexpat

I agree but something iconic might be a stretch. As long as it's commercially viable, looks good and brings more people to live and work in the city centre, then it's benefits will be huge. Whatever the plans I'm sure it won't be good enough for some.

Aspirational, utopian visions of what people would like are great, but at this stage it comes down to what is possible to develop. The sustainability element of the site is already built in with the closeness to the clock tower and with the transport hub. The link to Ferrybank and joining the two greenways is also huge. Whatever emerges is not going to be prefect but on second thoughts an iconic tall building would be good,

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭mart 23

What would be an iconic building for Waterford ?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Dum_Dum_2

the main building of the University of Waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭SodiumCooled

A lot of tall buildings are often offices and I can’t see big office buildings being justified anymore anywhere in Ireland really. Maybe an apartment building like the Elysian in cork but if it’s not a very functional building it is hard to see the finances making sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

how about a smaller version of the ‘shard’ (not sure about spelling) in London….?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

People say how the retail element is not justified at the moment but equally the office space is not justified. We either scrap both in favour of housing or actually go for a bit of Vision and offer both.

Perhaps that's actually whats delayed Harcourts plans, they've rejigged the plans and turned the office space into housing. Which is basically happening in a lot of places right. Everything is being thrown at housing right now to the detriment of all else.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Valhalla90

Build Irelands tallest hotel. Let’s stand out for positive reasons instead of usually negative press. The site can definitely accommodate some buildings of scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Bards

Brand new A rated latest generation offices will be in demand once the market self corrects which will be around the time these come onto the market

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

So the need for modern offices will definitely return but the need for a modern retail offering definitely won't?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭SodiumCooled

I’m not so sure, WFH (full time and hybrid) is the name of the game for a large amount of jobs now and one of the top requirements for people looking to change jobs. The types of company still really needing offices are usually with jobs tied to manufacturing or hands on R&D and just have the offices in industrial estates with the rest of the business.

I can’t see a demand for these types of “statement” offices for office only roles around here or elsewhere in the country. Just last week I heard of another IT business closing its offices and moving staff to fully remote as no one was going in and offices were lying mostly empty.

I think a mix of residential and some retail are the most probable uses for a tall building going forward. Hotels also but probably too big a hotel for around here and also a can of worms during the housing crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,515 ✭✭✭cgcsb

It depends how the next few tech revolutions play out. At the moment there is a staff recruitment crisis in almost every sector of the economy, due to demographics, abundance of education and global mobility.

If AI, robotics and quantum computing really take off we'll see a large increase in automation of processes that could end the staffing crisis and potentially allow for a 4 day or even 3 day working week for most people, with the traditional office becoming even rarer.

If governments get scared they'll bury new tech with regulation to maintain a traditional worker-consumer led economy. Only time will tell. Best to not plaster new office blocks all over a new area though, especially not in a housing crisis and hotel shortage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Bards

This is the part where it relates to new build offices and specifically A rated offices

"Real estate experts say it will be at least two years before the market sees an upswing, but with new construction drying up, future demand will benefit owners of the best buildings with green credentials, especially ahead of the target to slash carbon dioxide emissions by the end of the decade.

“In the medium term, there will be demand, but it will just be smaller lot sizes to cater to the new normal,” said Aoife Brennan, a senior director at Lisney. 

“ESG promises will also play into it, so the demand will be for top quality, energy efficient buildings.”"

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Flow Motion

I heard on the grapevine that if Harcourt don't get the ball rolling in the short-term a back-up proposal is to use the NQ's as car parking and take the current Quay based car parks out of circulation. Probably makes sense (in the short term).

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭GandhiwasfromBallyfermot

South quays car parking is privately owned so not sure how they could do that. Sounds like someones made that up.

They could do it very easily if the price was right!

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭GandhiwasfromBallyfermot

The price would be enormous and even if the project could afford it, it would take far longer to CPO that much land than it would for Harcourt to put together a proposal. CPOing that much prime land would take a hape of consultation and red tape and definitely wouldn't be a short term solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭jelutong

Why not build something like the High Line in New York on the Waterford side of the river. Say from the Clock Tower to the Plaza.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,392 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

that would ideal - A bit of a feature , a bit of adventure ….Like in Lisbon

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement

Which beggars the question… "WHY?"…. to look down @ the manky Suir in the wind n rain??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Your posts are a delight to read, not! Someday you will makea positive one.The Suir is a reatively large tidal river and looks pretty much the same as all otehrs of that type.

Any perhaps one day you will learn how to spell old boy! Three mistakes in just the one sentence. Tut! Tut! You will have to suffer my observations from time to time. It's what we call the concept of "free speech".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,392 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

BAH HUMBUG ……

"Theres nothing any good to do here…

Shur why would there be …."

🙄

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭jelutong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Begging the question means "to elicit a specific question as a reaction or response," and can often be replaced with "a question that begs to be answered." 

I'm talking about the station under construction.

Anyway back to my question: why doesn't a bridge connecting the town to the bus station carry any buses?

OK, not quite any buses. My understanding is a silly little shuttle mini-bus will operate over the new bridge. So how does that work?

Do bus passengers disembark at the Clock Tower and cross the new bridge on foot/shuttle to change buses? It's not really a transport interchange anymore then is it?

Or do they stay on and sit in traffic: buses crosses Rice Bridge, change, cross Rice Bridge again. This negates the need for the bridge.

Or do they change on the Quay, in which case nothing has changed and the whole bus station is negated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭JohnC.

It's mainly a train station, not a bus station. I think Bus Eireann are keeping the current station as the main bus station. You seem to be assuming that an interchange and the main bus station are one and the same.

• Advertisement

So NOT an integrated node. I assumed the budget would allow citizens be able to transfer from bus/train and bus/bus seamlessly.

And this dogma regarding different operators terminating at disparate locations is idiotic. Operational complexity does not increase bus ridership.

Also, the implications for footfall on the North Quays look pessimistic in this current guise.

Advertisement