Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship 2024 (Munster And Leinster Championships,Liam McCarthy Cup)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Limerick lads are already waiting to get in:
    https://x.com/mlverney/status/1779607694103449612

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

Looking forward to the action this weekend. Unfortunately i'll be out of the country so radio will have to do.

The game in Ennis hard to call but i'll give the nod to Clare.

Hard to see anything but a comfortable Cork win. Davys days are numbered. He'll soon be taking his self promotion, waffle and excuses elsewhere (please god never to Dublin).

Wexford v Dublin important game in Leinster for the winner will have made a big step in getting into the top 3. Wexford justified favourites and at home but Dublin will fancy it, also. Dubs to win.

The other two Leinster games you have to wonder what is the point.

Galway 1/500 to beat Carlow and spread is 22 points.

Kilkenny 1/100 to beat Antrim and spread is 17 points.

Post edited by YabaDabaDooley on

• Registered Users Posts: 25,627 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I'de agree about every game except the Dublin one. Wexford and Dublin on different trajectories.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭MfMan

Ennis game hard to call alright. If Clare win, it could be open-season on Limerick, as the others will be circling for a kill. If Limerick win, as I kind of expect, then Clare are in a bit of bother straight away, with 2 tricky away games to navigate.

Two years ago Cork surprised then league champions Waterford in Walsh park. Hard to see a reverse-surprise being engineered this year, unless Davy springs a massive smoke-and-mirrors job out of the blue.

Winning margins only question in the Galway/KK games. Think Wexford have better momentum than Dublin and should be trusted at home. It's not axiomatic that Leinster will be a Galway/KK final; had Wexford somehow not contrived to lose to Dublin last year, than they, rather than KK, would probably have contested the final

I don't think Limerick or Clare should panic too much as they should still be able to pick up enough points to qualify. Don't think teams should get too excited about circling either wounded animal either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

I agree. Imo Clare and Limerick are a step or 2 above the other teams in Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,790 ✭✭✭billyhead

Will Tony Kelly be fit. Always has a good game against Limerick.

No.

According to any media I have seen anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭thesultan

Sundays game the most exciting Munster championship games in years

Last year Limerick needed a win (or draw we found out later) against Cork on the last day. Only won by a point in the end so I would say that was way more exciting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,559 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Agreed - everything in the build makes for an unreal atmosphere and match. You lose you’re on the backfoot immediately.

Increased Capacity at Cusack Park. The stadium itself is grim but the atmosphere there is as good as it gets when it’s a packed house.

Walsh Park has been widened by five metres. 145 metres long and 84 metres wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,271 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

We haven't won a game there since

Some load of waffle talked about 'fortress Walsh Park'.

Are there actually any fortresses in Munster ?

Yes you are more likely to win more home than away but I'm not aware of any team having some amazing home record.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Limerick have a good home record

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Tipp have pretty decent home record against limerick and clare. Poor record away to limerick.

Our recent loses that I can remember were Clare 23 and Cork 19 at home. We also lost to Tipp away in a dead rubber.

Tipp will always have a good record against everyone except Cork. But it is impressive how good their record against Kiely's Limerick is.

Big words from Pat Ryan: “From our point of view, if we want to be successful this year, we’ll need to be scoring three or four goals. If you want to be doing anything really in championship, I think you need to be scoring three or four goals to be winning your games.” 

Not so sure Tipp have a great record against us. They don't tend to beat us when it counts.

Cork's problem for the last 10 or so years has been defending. They always seem to have good forwards

• Advertisement

We are talking about in Thurles during championship.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Montys return

Tipp have only won 2 games at home out of 8 since the round Robin started.

That includes losing to Waterford, our only win in 12 attempts outside Walsh Park.

Their record against Kielys Limerick is 5 losses, 1 draw & 1 win.

Was wondering where this talk of Tipp doing well against Kielys Limerick came from. I think Tipp beat Limerick in 2019 round robin but Limerick were already through to Munster final and rested players and exacted revenge by beating Tipp well in Munster final soon after.

The running narrative between the two in recent times seems to be Tipp leading at half time and Limerick upping the gears and overturning the ht deficit in jig time and coasting to victory. Haven't gone over the results but seem to remember this occuring on a lot of occassions. I'd be surprised if Limerick haven't won 90% of games with Tipp in Kielys time.

Post edited by YabaDabaDooley on

Waterford increasing the width of the field should help Cork in their pursuit of goals. Lots of goal-hungry pacy forwards they will enjoy the extra bit of space.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭letsseehere14

We were already through in the top 3 on pd I believe in 2019 against tipp.

But we were not qualified for the Munster final.

As far as we were concerned we had to beat tipp to make that final assuming Cork beat a Clare team going poorly. Think we only rested Hannon and Lynch.

That was our 2nd loss of the 4 rr games. People forget how poor we were in 2019 rr because of the Munster final, where in reality the Munster final hid a lot of our issues that championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭Rosita

Yeah, the fate of these two teams will be decided elsewhere. The fact that it's the first round takes a fair bit of the sting out of it. Clare lost in the first round in Ennis last year and it made no odds. An exciting game in its own right but in no way more exciting than a few other games down the road that will have a context we are unaware of now. Clare going to Cork needing to win would be interesting.

Post edited by Rosita on

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭letsseehere14

I'm finding it very hard to form an idea of what I think will happen.

I actually think these next two weekends could define Clares season. My gut says they will lose both games and Davy might take the villains role and end Lohans tenure up in Ennis. While losing the first 2 games against Limerick and away to Cork isn't a stretch, logic says them losing to Waterford just won't happen but I just have this feeling in my gut.

I think there'll be a bolter from either Cork or Tipp. But I don't know which one yet. Tipp have the ability but not the consistency. Cork is the good with the awful and in my view are still to reliant on Horgan, Harney and Lehane. These guys influence for Cork grew through the rounds last year when I had hoped it might go the other way for Corks benefit.

Saying that, I think Cork could be in fora land this weekend. It's just so hard to make form an opinion on whatll happen.

Waterford have the best schedule to build a foundation. Home game, break, home game, break but they near a clear sensible gameplay and a fit squad.

If I was to make a prediction I'd say Limerick plus 1 of Cork and Tipp then the remaining teams fighting it out for 3rd.

I don't know why I just have this feeling Clare are going to struggle, against all evidence I know. I can see Tipp v Clare maybe being a winner takes all in the last round.

I think Limerick have been very shrewd in our prep. Limited game minutes to suit a team on the road for a long time now. But I don't think our depth is what others make out. I am also concerned about Hannon and Lynch and how they are moving. Still I think the other 4 teams are close enough to do damage to eachother that we'll get enough points to make another munster final.

I think Leinster will be much the same. Wexford v Dublin this weekend just might decide 3rd. But i dont see an improvement or room for improvement in Kilkenny or Galway to win the All Ireland this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Can't see tipp getting top 3 or close to it. Hope I'm wrong but unless league was cloak and dagger stuff from cahill it doesn't look good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Munster: Clare, Cork & Limerick

Leinster : Galway, Kilkenny, Wexford

Advertisement