Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭tigger123

I would have agreed with you re the 250k a year, but was very surpirsed at the amount of people defending him on this thread in the last few weeks; 'it was the FAI's error, not Robbie's, so he was right to take the money'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭Guffy

Post edited by Guffy on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

There's mixed feeling online from the Southampton fans about this. Plenty are glad he's out of the team, with a fair amount of harsh Twitter comments saying so, and less harsh but still a fair amount happy on SaintsWeb fan's forum. A lot say although Gav is great with his feet, his shot stopping (especially low, hard and to his left) and dealing with crosses is bad. No argument there from me. Then there's a lot saying they wish he gets back quickly because they aren't happy with the backup keeper. Consensus seems to be that Gav has a few wobbles every game.

To me, as a huge admirer of Gav in his earlier days (I'm a Rover's fan too), I thought he was going to be the real deal, a top keeper. Now I think he'll be lower Championship or L1 at best. Now, the other lad a Liverpool, now I think he's got a better chance to make it, but the jury is still out (he also is prone to a few wobbles, although fewer than Gav) because he really needs to get regular first team football at a high level (Championship+) before he can be assessed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,198 ✭✭✭Xander10

Is there or was there ever a manager announcement for April post some contractual obligation?

The FAI need to show some transparency to the paying supporters and confirm the april manager announcement or admit they were acting based on some false hope rather than someone that just needed to cross the T's and dot the I's of the contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I think we'd be a lot better off hiring someone who has no previous relationship with the FAI, the players, Ireland, and preferably someone who doesn't understand how incompetent the organisation is and what a basket case we are.

What I would give for a Trapattoni figure now. Someone who doesn't even speak English, who is totally confident and isn't interested in anything we think. We really badly need someone who doesn't respect us at all.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

"We really badly need someone who doesn't respect us at all."

Thats a great job spec!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,989 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Problem as well is the format for the next World Cup.

Only the top team qualifies straight away, 2nd team plus Nations league into seeded playoffs.

Not too attractive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭NITRO95

The way world Cup qualification is going and the rest of the world getting more slots compared to UEFA being held to 16 and it becoming almost impossible for a nation like Ireland to qualify, I think we should look at leaving UEFA and joining CONCACAF. Hell some of the away trips would be closer than we currently endure. Also who wouldn't rather go to Barbados than Kazakhstan for an away game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,271 ✭✭✭✭briany

With Ireland being an island, I might propose that the team joins the Oceania Football Confederation. Some mighty away trips there, as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭YTM

Extremely bad news for Bazunu as he'll now spend 9 to 10 months on the sidelines after rupturing his achilles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,302 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Yeah, that's a bad blow for him. Southampton in with a strong shout of promotion and he likely would have been a starter in the Premier league for them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

The FAI do not expect a new manager to be in place until September.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2024/0419/1444517-fai-apologise-as-manager-search-goes-to-september/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭LowOdour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Never thought after the disaster of Delaney and his cronies reign that this new regime could even be more incompetent. Every single member of the board should be offering their resignation or be fighting to keep their jobs. I can't think of any other FA in Europe that would take this long to make a decision on appointing a new manager and yet stating in public the promise of an April appointment only to delay that by a further 5 months. An absolute embarrassment and proof that football in this country continues to be run by utter clowns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,198 ✭✭✭Xander10

Clueless..

Needed a deep clean, not just Delaney

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,629 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

That should be a resignation speech.

The first conditions that they are imposing on the job are ridiculous. Developing players etc. is a separate job. Canham should go today and someone sensible should take over.

Dogs on the street knew it was definitely over last June after that Greek performance yet here we are.

Canham has come out with that statement and they haven’t even secured O’Shea to continue as interim manager. They’re going to talk to him about it. What the hell are they doing in there. An absolute shambles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Think Southampton would have brought in an experienced keeper next season like Bournemouth did with Neto. Put some pressure on Bazunu to perform.

Unfortunately for Bazunu now they'll definitely bring in a new keeper this summer even if they don't get promoted. If said keeper is performing for Southampton then Bazunu could find it hard to win his place back next season once fit.

Bring back Vera Pauw. She can make history as the first manager to reach both WCs. Honestly hope JOS turns them down as interim for June. Rightly put the boot into the FAI plus saves us having to watch another JOS team playing like a Kenny 2.0 team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Kerr was obviously brought in as an insurance policy to cover the interim post in case O'Shea walks. Him babysitting John for a couple of meaningless friendlies never made much sense to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TokTik

Sweden took 9 months and only appointed a new manager weeks ago. Happy to help

Janne Andersson's contract finished in November 2023 and they hired the new manager end of Feb 2024.

Canham had been in talks with Kerr for months and would have assumed they had a role lined up for him behind the scenes. Wouldn't be surprised if Kerr somewhat filled the consultant role that Morling had been doing. Don't see him covering the interim if O'Shea doesn't. Though at this stage Canham probably doesn't give a **** anymore and wouldn't surprise me if he's lining up a new job and walks before September's games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,256 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

The FAI are a running joke. As is the appointment of the senior manager. It should have been done months ago, then it was supposed to be this week. Now we've to wait at least another 4 months. Those in charge aren't up to the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,350 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Let’s leave aside the fact that we still don’t a manager for a moment. It’s hard to attract the perfect candidate, and so on.

What we have learned is that you cannot believe what the FAI say, they make it up as they go along. This is very damaging as we saw at the Oireachtas, the government won’t give funding to a dishonest shambles of an organization.

They always said the manager search was going very well. They said February, then they said March. Then they said early April. Then they said mid-April. Then they went silent again. Now they say September, but we all know this is just a meaningless timeframe.

Who would give this organization €863m and trust them with it ?

Remember how insulting that redacted email was to the Oireachtas, handed in late and only 45 minutes before the actual hearing.

They also breached their bailout conditions.

The manager search pales into insignificance among all their problems.

Don’t think that would be healthy for either player to be vying with each other for a starting spot both club and country. Kelleher has looked excellent as he got more game time. He will surely get a move to a bigger club than Southampton.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭athlone99

Thats the bigger issue in my opinion. Manager searches can go that way and in my opinion its only hindsight that will tell us if the wait was worth it or not.

There is more important issues for Irish football and money for infrastructure is the main one and the new FAI have very quickly looked like the old FAI and all the good work they did do over 2 or 3 years has been undone in 4 months. At this stage Canham probably should follow Hill out the door. He has tried to do good work but the manager search and giving themselves nonsense deadlines will have harmed him and the FAI hugely.

• Advertisement

Think they'll more likely try to find themselves someone with experience that's maybe available on a free or brought in on loan. Don't think they'll spend big another young keeper.

Also wouldn't surprise if this long term injury to Bazunu see's Kelleher stay at Liverpool next season. With Bazunu out he's probably guaranteed the number 1 spot. So give it one more crack at Liverpool with there going to be some upheaval there this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭McFly85

You’d wonder if it’s Sagnol then. Probably would have gone for him to announce in April but he qualified for the Euros.

Only reason I would imagine they wouldn’t have someone in June is if they’re going for a manager at the Euros.

But maybe I’m trying to make sense of what has been a completely nonsensical situation!

Think if Sagnol is their guy then they need to have a deal done for him before the Euros start. Can't wait till August to get a deal done as he'll have options after the Euros. Though like Lennon and Robbie Keane hiring Sagnol is gonna bring them some backlash after his comments about African players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

It won't be Sagnol now. Unless he absolutely shites the bed this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭breffni bogballer

Probably waiting on Southgate and Carsley to finish their contracts 😄, turning into a joke at this stage,but they'll have saved a years wages by appointment time,which is the main reason with the delay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

rather than making it up, they’ve just been guilty of over sharing, which has only served to craft a rod for their own back. The actual deadline is and has always been the September competitive games. Sooner would have been lovely and helpful, but that’s when the person HAS to be in place.

I think they felt like they had to chase positive attention so whenever they got close to agreement they set these expectations of ‘good news soon’, but did it before they had everything locked in, so just ended up looking dumb. I don’t particularly have an issue with how the process itself has gone - they’ve clearly been trying, and I appreciate making the harder decision of holding out for the best they can get over placating people with an inferior appointment - but their communication has been woeful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,218 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Yeah I dont getvhow the idea of we are waiting for this summers managerial changes to pick a new manager.

Sure theres a manager merry go round but Ireland isn't gunna be winning a manager when dozens of clubs will be offering far better deals. Sagnol will have better options than us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The Senior Manager should have **** all to do with youth development. This is all unnecessarily silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,306 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The money on offer must be terrible, no one wants the job

• Advertisement

If they don’t appoint someone until September they’ll be “holding out” for around 9 months since Kenny’s last game in November 2023 and it was well known that Kenny was on the way out a long time before that. Their “process” is nonsense. The stipulations that they are putting on the job are ridiculous, the candidate must have both club and international experience and also will have a role working with youth team managers. They’re “holding out” because they’ve made a mess of the “process”. They’re a shambles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I just find it hard to get upset about a 9 month period with no competitive games… like, yeah, it'd be nice if they were in place sooner and got to try out a few things in the couple of friendlies, but we are where we are. We'll only know once the appointment is made whether it was worth the wait. But whatever about anything else, I'm definitely happy we're at least not going to just settle for O'Shea for the sake of it as some wanted.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

you know what lads, I wasn’t far off.

https://x.com/IrelandFootball/status/1781277907555340784

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,453 ✭✭✭secman

Money is a huge restraint on appointing a new manager and team, people expecting them to go and splash the cash when they are 60+ million in the red, don't own a stadium, a HQ. They're are the poor relations of the GAA, always were from the off and always will be. I'm old enough to remember the "ban on foreign games " when in school . Despite football being globally a huge sport it is still behind the parochial GAA , the length and breadth of the country . Its not even called football outside of the pale, soccer FFS . Unfortunately they were also starved of top drawer administrators from the off and here we are, yet some people, lots in fact are surprised.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

It it a restraint or just something they are happy for people to think and take pressure off?

The debt fell to 51million in the last accounts and they had a surplus of over 3million inside turnover of 54million.

No doubt the FAI have a huge challenge financially due to poor management of money - like the high profile early drawdown of money from Sports Direct, the Robbie Keane wages for nothing, paying the CEO holiday pay - but within their normal turnover, a manager for the team responsible for a large proportion of income is possible.

If they are genuinely trying to cut all unneeded expenditure and the manager role does not need to be filled yet, in their view, I could see that as a good choice but that conflicts with a lot of their talk along the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Money is a huge restraint on appointing the kind of manager we would love to have.

Neil Lennon would have taken the job by the sounds of it, and it's that level manager we will be getting on our budget (not that I want him in the job)

The issues are bigger than any manager at this stage, it will be a viscous circle until we find form and success over a sustained period of time. How that happens, God knows

Limited budget → mediocre manager → mediocre team → mediocre performance→ disgruntled fans → low turn out → financial hit and rinse and repeat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

It's a leap. To blame the shenanigans and mismanagement of the last 40 or 50 years in particular on the GAA, you are stretching the hatred of the gealic games thin there, all we need now is blame the Catholic Church and Fianna Fail and you have the full set.

There has been plenty of money put into soccer in my lifetime, and invariably it's been pi55ed away.

I know two lads who got involved in a LOI club about 25 years ago. The club never had tuppence. They were bust (again), they got involved as chairmen, and brought a few more from about the town involved. Thay couldn't believe within months how much money was actually available. Queue several years of success, a new stadium, national honours and European football, before it eventually petered out and the group moved on. Within a year or two, the mlne9was all gone, and the club was running hand to mouth again. Something in soccer in this country attracts charletans and chancers, and until that is sorted, and the culture changes, no government money should really be committed to the Fai. (not that the government can't waste money as well....)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,906 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

it will be a viscous circle until we find form and success over a sustained period of time.

Sticky situation alright…

if money is such a constraint, why are we applying stipulations to the role around youth involvement?

If money is the issue, the best thing we can do is appoint the most pragmatic manager possible who can take the senior pool and win a couple of **** games.

The forthcoming Nations League in September is of crucial importance for our ranking, seeding, etc. To offer a new manager no time to prepare for those games is disgraceful. I utterly reject the shrug shoulders attitude to this. Have people here learned nothing over the past few years on the importance of this competition?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭Augme

Because we need someone to look after the youth side of the game and we don't have the money to get someone to do it as a stand alone job. The cheapest solution is to get the manager to do it for "free".

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement