Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zgemma H7s Guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Schorpio

The box won't ever 'offer' you an update. You need to seek it out and install yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,474 ✭✭✭swoofer

Alun yes its the H7S and I have gone back to 6.4. 6.5 is not that good yet so avoid.

And you can configure the box to tell you when an update is available, what you get then is a blinking green dot in the info bar. And they keep changing bits grrr.

The best option is NOT update unless you have to. I'm still on 6.3 on main box and no intention of updating.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Errm, yes, I know all that and a) it will "offer you an update" by displaying the green dot on the info bar (which it isn't), and yes, the automatic check IS enabled! and b) I checked manually for an update as well and it said everything was up to date :)

Is there a possibility it's been pulled?

What version are you on at the moment and the green dot bit was for schorpio but I think they keep changing bits. Not pulled its in image manager yellow button

As I said, 6.4.011. I've re-checked just now, and no updates available, even if I select the option for unstable releases.

Looking on the forum there are reports of people who downloaded 6.5.002 on April 1st (!) seeing 6.4.011 in the version info, but if they downloaded it at a later date and reinstalled, it then showed the correct version. That doesn't seem to be the case for me though as everywhere the version number can be seen (Image Manager, Backup Manager, Multiboot Image Selector, Version info) it all shows 6.4.011 installed on 23rd March.

Very odd ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Apologies Alun, wasn't my intent to steer you wrong. I believe the auto check is off by default? (At least, it is on my box and I don't remember changing it).

No problem, it was always set to on on my box I think. It was a customized image installed by the supplier, so probably a lot of settings were preset by them. I've had loads of updates since I got the box, all signalled by the green flashing blob, so I'm at a loss as to why it seems to have stopped now.

So, I've just downloaded 6.5.002 from the ViX image manager menu, flashed it to a spare slot and it's working fine. Why it didn't offer me the update will remain a mystery.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭ArrBee

I still haven't fully switched over from Sky yet… I'm still testing and getting the Mrs used to the idea of this.

One thing I noticed was that when I was pointing to a NAS share for the timeshift was that there didn't seem to be a limit to how long a timeshift could be. Is that right??
    Luckily I had a quota set on the share (1TB) and so it didn't fill up the entire storage pool!

Is there a way to limit a timeshift to, say, 1hr? or do I have to remember to turn box off before I fill my storage?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭andy1249

It will offer updates say on 6.4.xxx and install them automatically if you have it set that way.

It will never update between major revisions , so 6.4.xxx to 6.5.xxx will never be an update , there is however , an option to download a new image and flash it , thats how I did it , through "new image" and not an update.

Also , just in case anyones buying from WOS , they did not flash the latest image on the boxes I got from there , even though it was selected during the order , so for example , they have shipped a lot of stuff lately with openvix 6.2.xxx , which is over four years old …… so check on receipt that you have the latest image !

Its no big deal to change it if its openvix though , most boxes will download and install a new openvix image in less than 5 minutes and import your settings from your old setup. Just read the release notes and make sure your plugins still work with the latest version ( e.g. crossepg etc. )

• Advertisement

It will offer updates say on 6.4.xxx and install them automatically if you have it set that way.

It will never update between major revisions , so 6.4.xxx to 6.5.xxx will never be an update ,

Ah, yes, that would explain it.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Leonita

I have the zgemma h8 about a week now. The remote on this box is way better than the one for the H7s. Is there a way to get the two to "talk" to each other? ie share settings etc? If so could somebody please explain in very simple language? Absolute technophobe here.

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I always set boxes up by scratch and if you have a laptop connected to network use your box IP to login and match the settings while you use the remote of new box.

You have tv with new box and using webif to connect to h7s on your laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

It is but I don't have to point it directly at the box like the H7. I can use the remote from any direction on the H8

Sorry I'm a bit lost could you please explain? Thanks

You want to setup your new box like i assume.

Do you have a laptop or desktop at home if so enter your box ip like 192.168.0.24 into the browser and you get an entry into H7S.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭andy1249

The Remote is exactly the same on all Zgemma boxes.

The IR receiver in the box however , is another thing.

The H82h is the sort of thing thats cheap enough to buy to have a mess around with and see how E2 boxes work.

For me though , its far too slow bringing up the EPG to use as any kind of main box , it degrades picture quality noticeably compared to any other box , ( crappy entry level huawei chipset ) and it has a habit of freezing/stuttering/audio catching up on high bitrate HD channels.

You are right though , its IR receiver is far better than the H7s

Regarding setup , you can manually copy some general settings , either use webif as suggested above or take some pictures of the menus on your phone.

There is no easy way out , you cannot directly transfer software from one box to another unless its exactly the same model.

The easy way out is to get this remote for 10 euro at amazon, "" New Replacement Zgemma Remote Control for Zgemma Star Satellite Receiver - No Setup Needed '' Free delivery with prime.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭MenloPete

It would help if you told us which model remote you have - there are several with that description.

• Advertisement

Just put that in the amazon search and the one that pops up is the one you need, the 10 euro price is also a hint.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,307 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Yes there is

On remote control unit…press file list

Your recordings will appear with the folder Deleted Items at the top

Scroll to that folder until it is highlighted only the press Menu on remote control and select Empty Trash Can and the box will you asked Permanently Delete All Recordings from the Trash Can?

Press Yes…….and all deleted recordings will be gone from your trash can, present recordings will not be affected

Cheers

Socks 🇮🇪

Post edited by MonkieSocks on

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Upgraded from Tiviar to ZGemma on OpenVix 6.5. Got it from WOS and all is going fine. Very easy setup.

One problem I am having is the the Zgemma keeps dropping off the network. It's connected via wifi using a USB dongle I had with tiviar and just switched it out. I can go into network settings and restart network and it comes back online, but drops again after a couple of hours.

Right now I'm watching TV and it's telling me no network connection.

Any ideas what it might be?

Hmm not sure if you need to load a driver with this or is pre installed.

you would need to say name of the usb wi fi dongle and then can check for a driver. 6.5 is very new and may have a glitch. did you dwonload a driver when using dongle on tiviar?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Didn't download a driver. Just plugged in the Wi-Fi dongle and it worked

Post edited by FastFullBack on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

And thats all you should have to do. I have the generic €10 wifi dongle for usb from freesat.ie and no problem. Is the box in a funny spot where the signal may be weak?

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭MenloPete

Maybe not related, but I found that putting the dongle on a USB extension cable and away from the box increased my speed dramatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 AindrisBro

sorry if this has been posted before but spent literally hours searching everywhere for info. I added a few add ons to kodi and whenever I have tried to play any programs or videos it stuttered a lot. Checked all I could settings etc and no avail. Keeps happening on all apps and I’ve yet to get a clear playback also from downloads. I’ve just seen now going into summery that the memory usage is stuck at 87% when idle. Which now I’m assuming is what’s causing the playback issue. Has anyone any advice on this? The box is only a couple of months if even old has an ssd with it etc and was bought and also set up by world of satellite. I am afraid to mess around in case it bunches the box or kodi on me as I remember from years ago they could be seriously temperamental.

Edit I haven’t changed or done anything for kodi itself like new skins or anything it’s just the default ones. Programs I added were Asgard and the crew.

• Advertisement

Not sure if anybody has gotten Kodi to play smoothly as most use other forms of Android boxes for that and keep it for sat only/ terrestrial.

Maybe others will jump in with other comments.

Advertisement