Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The crusade against the motorist continues...

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I complained last week about a cyclist in Foxrock, he was cycling towards the race course on a narrow road holding up a line of traffic, there was a perfectly goid cycle path he could have used.

uh, no.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.2763232,-6.1880396,3a,75y,109.41h,74.71t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1skPppVAnN0Lxny0_WTY-6bA!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3DkPppVAnN0Lxny0_WTY-6bA%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D83.820656%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

i'd have regularly hit 40km/h+ on that stretch. that cycle path was 'designed' by someone who doesn't cycle, who thinks there is no difference between cyclists and pedestrians. if i am using the main road, and i am vehicular traffic, i do not need to yield to motorists coming out of housing estates. why would i use the cycle path which would drop me down the pecking order?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭maisie45

The cycle path from the N11 to the race course, runs past Foxrock Manor, thats where that cyclist was, that road is narrow so he was holding up cars, that path is perfectly adequate, its not like many people use it.

The cycle path is Stillorgan park towards Stillorgan was perfectly adequate too, very few cyclists using it outside morn and eve time. I have cycled it occasionally, no complaints.

Now the council are busy installing this wide cycling lane and in doong so have narrowed the pedestrian path, a mother pushing a buggy took up the footpath and if you wanted to pass her out you would have to go into the cycle lane, its not open yet but thats whats going to happen, lots and lots of people walk that path every day, lots of people with children, its very tight now.

And then the congestion thats going to be caused now that right turns from stillorgan are being removed.

What is the long term objective of this, is it to make air cleaner, is reducing traffic to a standstill going to help the environment, I fail to see much benefit to this work.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

again, the cycle path along the road you mention is not a perfectly adequate cycle path, it's one of the worst i know of (and coincidentally, the street view link i posted illustrates one problem with it, and that's precisely where it 'interacts' with the entrance to foxrock manor)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Why didn't you use the M50 access to Leopardstown? What's the point in us building and paying for all these motorways if drivers won't use them?

Have you ever cycled the perfectly fine cycle lane?

What kind of hiviz do you have on your car?

another example of that madness i frequently cite - on the airport road - which in theory would carry any and all commuting cyclists from north of the airport, i.e. swords, rush, donabate, lusk, etc.; cyclists are basically told they're of lower priority than patrons of a pub.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.4250755,-6.2295753,3a,75y,294.17h,68.13t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1suPHqc7s7buDxA70vPVMd4Q!2e0!5s20180601T000000!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Has to be one of the worst "Cycle Lanes" I've seen.. crossing multiple driveways, side roads, uneven surfaces, glass and stones in it, cars parked in it.. And you're moaning about 1 pedal bicyclist who nipped out onto the road, maybe to get around a parked car?

Was full of parked cars there today at lunchtime as the carpark at the back was full..

i did get stick occasionally on that road past foxrock, there was one woman in particular, driving a black polo, who on three or more occasions lost the plot with me. invariably at rush hour, i'd be faster than a motorist anyway, so it was kinda funny.

Going by some of the regular anti-cyclist posters on here I think the mods should rename this thread to

"The crusade against the (male) Cyclist Continues…"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

The point is not about what I want, or whether or not motorists are inconvenienced by the cyclist's choice.

The point is the level of hypocrisy and double standards in them making that choice, i.e. "I want motorists to slow down and take extra care when sharing a space with cyclists. But as a cyclist, I'm not prepared to slow down and take extra care to share a space with pedestrians. If given a choice, I'll choose the other option."

• Advertisement

its perfectly adequate, huge built up area, we all have to compromise and co operate.

The footpath there isnt fabulous either and pedestrians have to cross driveways, should they join the cyclists on the road too.

No , pedestrians atent moaning loudmouths, they walk on whatever space is left for them and its now reducing further to create wide cycle lanes that arent used.

And buses are caught up in the traffic jams bring created and the buses could be full, so you have one lone cyclist holding everyone up because he doesnt like a cycle path.

Then when he collides with a car its the drivers fault.😳😳😳😡😡😡

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

So compromise & stop telling others to compromise for your benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭ARX

The point is the level of hypocrisy and double standards in them making that choice

i don't think that analogy is working the way you want it to - a direct analogy would be the cyclists using the shared pedestrian/cyclist space, but not willing to slow down. that'd be where it'd be hypocritical.

cyclists (generally) aren't idiots. i'll use cycling specific infrastructure when it's safe and sensible to do so. i won't use non-infrastructure where the local authority has simply repurposed a footpath and decided 'there, we've provided infrastructure'.

for example, the one past foxrock mentioned above - you can see from the google street view history that they only dished the path at the N11 end to allow cyclists coming from the other side of the road to mount it safely, in 2022. the dishing is not there in october 2021, and that cycle path has been there since 2009 or earlier. it took them that long to fix a simple issue!

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.278199,-6.1853766,3a,75y,137.03h,65.71t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sA73gYipVWq6r19TAETpODQ!2e0!5s20221101T000000!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

• Registered Users Posts: 1 lego base

Ive had tubes burst on my road bike from using that cycle track, due to the unforgiving gap between the tarmac and the sharp edge of the concrete driveways that cross it. I'd say it's inadequate.

Cyclists ARE taking care of pedestrians by moving out on the road away from pedestrians. What's not to like?

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭ARX

Speaking of Leopardstown, can you see the cycle lane in this picture?

Well, here's where it ends:

And this is the sign that informs pedestrians that there is a shared-use path ahead:

This is the sort of incompetent f**kwittery that local authorities demonstrate over and over and over and over again whenever they try to implement cycle infrastructure.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

When I am on a bike and have a choice of moving quickly and not having to cede priority or move more slowly and cede priority at junctions and private entrances, I'll obviously choose the former (why wouldn't I?).
    This has absolutely nothing to do with hypocrisy.
    However, me choosing the former option does not give other road users an excuse to behave like dangerous pricks and put me (or anyoine else) in danger. The law is that you don't put anyone in danger.
    If I decided to use a shared cycle lane and yet continued to travel at speed then I'm completely in the wrong (but I wouldn't make that choice).

As for your use of the verb "inconvenienced" - I'm often held up by people in cars when I'm on a bike, especially in the city centre (which this thread was originally started about). I don't get my knickers in a twist about it or try and endanger them! You really shoiuld not have to be told but I'll say it anyhow - you don't own the road; you share it!

No hiviz on that lorry so you can't really blame the poor car driver, suffering under the current jihad.

Twitter link deleted @Psychedelic Hedgehog

Post edited by AndrewJRenko on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Cyclists speeding too slowly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

"

1. Cyclists didn't seem to know what a red light means."

Ahhhh. I understand now.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Psychedelic Hedgehog

@AndrewJRenko the Gardai have asked for that footage not to be shared.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,808 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

That path is some of the worst cycle path ever made. I use cycle paths when fit for purpose, sometimes when they are not but that path on both sides is a danger to cyclists to use.

None of this has anything to do with the quays that the thread is about though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,820 ✭✭✭SeanW

I get the feeling that people talking about cars being painted with fluorescent paint have never actually been to Ireland, at least not in the last decade or so. In this country, it's very commonplace for cars to be illuminated during the daytime, usually with either DRLs or low-beam headlights. I just took a drive today during the daytime and found that virtually all of the cars I encountered were well lit up even though it was daylight. Including my own BTW as I began driving my car(s) with low beams on in the daytime about a decade ago when I observed it being so commonplace.

Meanwhile cyclists, just have a little light at the most, and often not even that. As it happens I saw two cyclists on my drive today, and because both were wearing hi-vis I observed them the instant they came into my field of view, even though neither were in my lane and one was on a different road, and one had no lights whatsoever so would otherwise have blended into the background.

Correct. The people who make these disingenuous claims want you to forget two things:

1. "Drivers" are not a collective hive-mind. There are about 3.3 million "drivers" in Ireland according to the CSO and we do not co-ordinate who we're going to collectively "kill" this week/year/whatever.
    2. Many of the pedestrians who die on our roads do so as the result of their own actions and/or negligence. According to the best numbers we have, 70% of pedestrians who lose their lives on the roads were solely culpable for the collisions they caused. That number is disputed but it cannot be denied that the proportion is significant.

If, for example, a pedestrian kills themselves due to their own negligence, it would be extremely disingenuous to blame even the driver involved, let alone all 3.3 million "drivers" writ-large. Yet that's what those fond of making broad-brush statements like "drivers kill (whatever)" seem to be trying to do.

Jeezsus is that you Conor Faughnan?

The President of the number of registered drivers in Ireland?

"We do not.. Who we're…"

When most cyclists are also motorists I'm sure they don't want to be spoken on behalf of by you..

The same hyperbole you throw around in all motorist v cyclist threads you dump in on…

I was driving on a busy road today and noticed a cyclist coming at speed on the footpath to my left, I guessed he was going to join the traffic on the road without looking left or right.

I slowed down and he did exactly as I thought. If he had cycled into my car it was his fault and I have a dash cam to prove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,820 ✭✭✭SeanW

Lol you accuse me of being hyperbolic when your side makes such broad statements as "motorists kill (whatever number)" … I mean really? All 3.3 million of us? Collectively?

And if you object to me speaking for motorists who are also cyclists then I assume that these cyclist-motorists take their share of collective responsibility for all road fatalities regardless of circumstances. But I most certainly do not, and I think I speak for most motorists in this regard.

And this nonsense about cars having hi-vis paint or panels, like seriously, have those posters ever been to Ireland? Wearing hi-vis while cycling on main roads is like car drivers putting on their low-beams during daylight - just good practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

The same dash cam would have proved you had seen the other human being and not done anything to avoid them colliding with a ton more of metal.

Fault, as in right of way does not mean you don't have an obligation to avoid hitting people. Driving 101.

Are we at the level of 'i saw an (insert type of road user) doing something stupid today' now?

Because that certainly makes for constructive, informative debate.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

A few days ago you were telling us how you had "no skin in the game" whereas now you seem to be making nonsense up to get your point across. 🙄

Advertisement