Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clontarf to City Centre Cycle & Bus Priority Project discussion (renamed)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,836 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

In that scenario it’s beyond selfish.
    Causing traffic to back up really isn’t an option while they wait for a space.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,663 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

This queuing for Westwood has been happening for years — long before these works started. I remember being annoyed by it some 12 odd years ago when I lived in Fairview!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,070 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Yes, it's an ongoing issue but it's been made worse by all the roadworks. It's also been done to death here so I'm bowing out.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,360 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

i can never get my head around people thinking it's a good idea to go to the gym at peak time in your car and queue for the main car park. car brain at its finest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭bren2001

A lot of people would stop in on their way home from work. Kind of a logical thing to do. The outrage on this thread about it is a bit ridiculous, its people following the rules of the road.

Personally, I'd park down the road and walk up. Its faster. No different to going to my local shops where people will try and park as close as possible. Its an extra 10 seconds walking 1 or 2 rows up but usually a plethora of free spaces.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The outrage on this thread about it is a bit ridiculous, its people following the rules of the road.

How exactly is blocking a bus lane (and previously also a cycle lane and footpath) following the rules of the road?

They're not blocking a bus lane. Its a single lane due to roadworks at the moment. There is no bus lane.

Thelonious Monk's post makes no mention of the footpath being blocked and solely referred to traffic being backed up to the Alfie Byrne road.

Can you please point out what rule is being broken here? Because I can't see any. Its people in traffic which is perfectly legal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,417 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Oh goody, more Westwood talk

The entire area is a complete mess because of these works from Clontarf to Connolly station. Focusing on a single tiny stretch makes no sense to me. The project is already over schedule and reportedly over cost. There’s zero chance it gets finished by June and the level of disruption is going to increase with more stop/go in place as they amstart to relay road sections and work on all the junctions that still have to be finished. There was one at the 5 lamps over the weekend and it looked no different from when they started to when they finished.

The drivers heading into the WW car park have been blocking the bus lane, the footpath and now the new cycle lane since the gym pretty much opened. In the recent days the are road works leaving one lane inbound (as I understand it) but my point remains - drivers heading into WW prioritise themselves and their need to get into the main car park over absolutely everyone else!

• Advertisement

What rule/law are they currently breaking? You failed to tell me but were very quick to jump on my original post.

Your point is irrelevant to what I was referring to. Sitting in the current lane and waiting to turn left isn’t breaking any rule.

You should retract your original post to me. What you describe is a separate issue and will rear its head when the bus lane reopens no doubt.

If you read the thread, it is easy to misinterpret your post to relate to the queing that is always happening there. However, maybe get down from that high horse if you think a simple question (in my origninal post to you) needs "retracting".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,470 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

They are breaking the 'don't be a dick rule'. If there's only one lane, you either avoid it or keep moving. You certainly don't stop in it.

That’s not in the rules of the road which is specifically what Seth was referring too.

There’s nothing wrong with waiting in the lane until the traffic ahead is clear. They’re perfectly entitled to park in the Westwood car park.

There’s nothing wrong with waiting in the lane until the traffic ahead is clear. They’re perfectly entitled to park in the Westwood car park.

They're also perfectly entitled to park in the overflow car park but they make the choice not to which is what then helps create an obstruction on the road! Is this still part of the current RTA?

https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1961/act/24/section/98/enacted/en/html

Waiting to complete a turn isn’t an obstruction. You’re intentionally misinterpreting what you’ve linked.

How long are people waiting to complete the turn?

I have not gone out with stopwatch. I’m not sure it would be relevant either, they’re sitting in traffic.

Do you honestly believe those people are breaking the law? Is that your honest interpretation of events?

FFS, I didn't say that them blocking traffic was breaking the law - I asked if that law remained in force.
    Is this where I now demand a retraction from you?

• Advertisement

We can both play this game, I never said you claimed it was breaking the law. I asked if that was your honest opinion. Nothing more.

You’re perfectly entitled to demand what you want. Be a long time waiting for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭markpb

Give it a break, please.

For someone not living in that part of the city, can someone tell me how much of the cycle lane work is completed and open?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Disco24

Close to 50% open. Inbound is 99% open but junctions and some surface not complete. Outbound 95% not yet open.

Fairview was never nicest place but the new public realm looks like it will be really good.

None of the outbound section and bits and pieces of the inbound section. Almost every junction inward/outbound needs to be completed and it's a mess around any of the bridges. The section along Fairview Park inbound is quite nice actually but even this needs some work at the traffic light sections. All in all, I'd say considering it's coming up on two and half years it fairly brutal going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

Just spoke to a Roads Policing Member. He has prosecuted several Gym Members for "Obstructing the flow of traffic" there. He really can't get over the fact that they're ignorant to the fact that by blocking the lane they're stopping emergency services getting through. So it is an offence, there just are not enough Gardai to enforce it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

That’s interesting, I imagine the tickets they handed out will be challenged in court, I know I would in their shoes. By that logic the stop/go they have there regularly is an offence as it blocks that very same section with traffic. Unless they’ve painted a yellow box along that section I’m not sure what they expect people to do. In fact, if you take a walk there this morning you will see that lane blocked due to traffic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,290 ✭✭✭highdef

If people queued in the driving (right) lane between 07:00 and 19:00 instead of the bus lane that is in operation between those times be considered ok? If it was me, that's what I would do during those hours. Sure, I'm holding up traffic in that lane but it's the correct procedure as per the rules of the road.

Would signage to instruct drivers to do as such be in any way helpful?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

It's not possible to say the Local Authority has the same liability as a motorist, in the circumstances, because the Road Traffic Acts provide for Local Authorities to put in place temporary traffic management plans when they are doing public works.

A motorist in Court could certainly plead with the Judge that they were doing their best in the circumstances, and on any given day a Judge could come down whatever way they feel like.

I cycle and drive past Westwood daily, and I've gone in there a fair few times over the years. Entry to that car park has always caused problems for other road users and pedestrians at peak times, especially when kids swimming classes were on at rush hour in the evenings. Lately, with the road works, it's definitely tipped over into being quite hazardous. The pace through the junction, being slow, is also encouraging a lot of breaking of the red lights, so it's not great all round.

I'm baffled why people try to queue for several minutes for the main car park when entry to the overflow car park is usually much, much quicker, and it's safer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭tomfoolery60

The North Quays is a shambles, Eastbound cyclists are supposed to de-materialise several times en route to the Point. BusConnects plans for the area will improve it if I understand them correctly

Advertisement