Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,355 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

If they want people to come back, especially to the cafe, they will need to open later. Closing before 4pm on a Sunday is crazy! I haven't seen his mom since all that happened, don't know where she's at. His sister is back working there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,693 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Chatting to someone this morning who said the cafe always closed at 4.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,355 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

They stopped serving hot food at 4, but you could always get teas/coffee cake up until about 5pm. They may have changed this in the last few months as I haven't been since probably before Christmas.

No need to post up information on what the O'Donnell family are doing in their personal lives. I don't know Why people feel the need to search the web to find out what they are doing and then post it up here? Please keep it off this page, its nothing to do with anyone, especially if it involves their kids, leave them out of it. Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Bailey43

The price of a pint in tralee has gone crazy guys/girls in rock Street E5 30 and that's only Guinness .16c turns into 30c .And don't get me started on the price of food and restaurants are wondering where are the people charging nearly E19.00 for a main course. The people had enough close your doors.Rip off ireland is alive and well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I would not like to be trying to run a business ,wages have risen sinse Jan 1st as well this adds onto increase in costs across the board the delivery driver etc ,all have a knock on effect in fueling the increase in inputs ,Rates have increased yet all we hear spouted is we are one of the richest countries in the world

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭JVince

Hope you never visit New York, Boston, Seattle or Baltimore.

A "cheap" pint is $10 in most American cities

A pre-made sandwich and can of coke will be $10-$12

Breakfast in a diner will be at least $20.

€5.30 is CHEAP for Guinness

I have travelled the world even you know the price of local beer is cheap. Guinness our local beer seem to think they can keep screwing people. Where is it going to end as for meals out the restaurants screwed people when they had the 9%vat decrease.

They can have it like a lot of people I know it's off to the off-licence. The savings alone I should have a lot of sunny holidays abroad

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭barryribs

What's "local" about Guinness?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

'Lots of Holidays abroad' from the savings you will make by buying your drink in the off licence?

There is something wrong there….

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

It's expensive around alright but the cost of doing business is gone through the roof. I see some of the energy companies have started to reduce their retail prices & I believe I saw that AIB were reducing some of their interest rates so hopefully there is some moderation of all these increases on the horizon. As cute george said I wouldn't envy anyone in the hospitality game over the last five years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Ya cause it's great craic sitting alone at home drinking cans..

As someone else said, input costs for all these businesses have skyrocketed. And before you say it, Spain/whatever sun destination has not experienced the same rise in costs, so naturally can afford to keep prices lower. But if you're going on your sun holiday, you better get going soon, because I hate to break it to you but, guess what, the cost of those sun holidays is about to increase too.

The cost of running a business is crazy! Rates alone are a joke. The electricity is only now starting to show signs of coming down, slowly. Cost of buying in stock is constantly going up, there's no shopping around anymore really. Even Aldi & Lidl aren't 'cheap' anymore! I very rarely go out, but its more cos I don't really care about going out anymore (although I do miss those days!). We are trying to price to go away for a few days to a place we went to 15 years ago. We can't get over how expensive the flights have got, before we even book a hotel. I haven't been out of the country in years, so its crazy how much its gone up!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Bielsa2020

I’d be interested to know what people think is a justified price for a pint of Guinness in town. Some nice bars popping up in town and others are upping their game and that all costs money. Even if someone thought a fiver was the max a pint should be, at €5.30, you’re only spending an extra €2 for your night out. Is that really breaking the bank?

And both Diageo and now Heineken have put up the prices of their pints again! Heineken just announced it today, so the pubs are being squeezed now. I don't know what the price of a pint should be, but its not possible for many to keep their prices low. The younger generation going out are mostly on the spirits now anyway, not sure if they drink many pints etc?

I was in McCafferys just before Christmas and they do amazing cocktails, which obviously aren't cheap, but seem to be very popular!

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭eusap

Maybe some of the bars and customers should shift away from the corporate beer, there are many great brewery's in Kerry and surrounding county's. Vote with your pocket and stop buying it and ask the bar to stock real local beer

This is so true! Its amazing how few bars seem to be willing to do craft beers and independent brewers! A few are doing it, I know the Blasket do the Dick Macks beers on tap, and a few others. But its amazing how they want to stick to the Diageo/Heineken taps. I have seen that some bars are starting to pull them out though, so others should start following, but it won't be many! When we have been to bars/hotels in various places, we are always surprised at how few of them will even stock local beers. We asked in the Rose hotel once why they don't put in the West Kerry beer, seeing as its literally on the road towards Dingle and the amount of tourists who would be coming to and from West Kerry. They just didn't seem to be bothered. Its the attitude that amazes me!

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

I think most drinkers just default to the same 4 or 5 draught beers out of habit. I was sitting at a bar the other night and there was a Guinness and Coors tap by themselves in front of me. There was about 10 other taps further down with a varied mix of stouts, lagers and ciders, (some craft)so kudos to this pub attempting to offer choice. However the bartender basically spent the whole night in front of me pulling Guinness and Coors as that's what most customers wanted. I suppose its a risk to publicans to stock a more varied choice if punters will not order them en masse to justify a profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Irish drinkers are very conservative and go for quantity over quality unfortunately. The reason they serve the beer so cold is because there is rice used in the ingredients instead of more flavourful hops etc, cold beer numbs the tongue so you don't know that it tastes like muck. Try drinking a heineken at room temperature vs a decent IPA. The Heineken is vile. Also, people just want to horse down pints and the nicer beers, particularly IPA's can be very heavy so they probably don't sell as well.

As was mentioned, in Kerry alone you have Killarney brewing, Torc, Dick Mac's and west Dingle brewery. I think Bailey's corner serves Killarney brewing but it's a shame more bars and drinkers don't take a chance on local beer. All the new pubs along by Vals and Sean óg's serve Lagunitas IPA. I don't understand why they wouldn't serve a local IPA instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Meadowlands have Killarney Blonde & a Chieftain session IPA if I recall correctly. You can get Dingle Session IPA in Roundy's as well.

I remember asking in a big bar in the middle of town last year if they had any sort of IPA and the guy says "No, sorry. Funny though a lot of people ask me the same thing." Seemed to go over his head altogether that there might be something to think about there!

Roundy's were always good for doing a few craft beers on tap.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭eusap

I heard a story of a bar in Killarney being paid by a big brewery in marketing, free kegs and promotional material to remove other taps (small brewery's) which i guess influences a lot of bars choice of taps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Packrat

I've never found a craft stout or beer that I liked. I like Guinness and occasionally Heineken.

Obviously a majority agree. Any publican will tell you that craft beers rot in the barrel because so few drink them.

If they were wanted they'd be stocked. End of story.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Diageo definitely put pressure on pubs to not sell independent beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭cms88

Anyone know what's going on with Allstyle Tiles in Rock Street? Seems to be closed a long time now.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

Says 'closed for renovation' on the window anyway

Kyoto Japanese restaurant on Denny Street where Denny Lane was is opening tomorrow (24th). Hope its successful and offers a good alternative to the town!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

The resurgence in hospitality in Tralee continues, long may it last!

• Advertisement

Disappointed to read this about O'Shea's 235 home plan off Bracker O'Regan Road. This would have provided so many options for house hunters. How is anyone ever able to afford housing if everything keeps getting refused?

https://m.independent.ie/regionals/kerry/tralee-news/tralee-housing-project-refused-by-an-bord-pleanala-this-setback-wont-deter-our-mission/a926810262.html

Advertisement