Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shortage of Catholic priests.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭yagan

I knew a lad from Sierra Leone who said a church service wasn't any good unless it lasted at least three hours, had loads of singing and food etc.. It's a weekly festival by the sound of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

As we get more educated we are realising that the church and its spokesmen are not really worthy of our time and effort anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭Rawr

I feel this is fundamental to the RCC and its continuing decline. More and more, people simply can't be arsed with them or frankly religion in general. Go back one or two generations, you'll still get true believers who fully signed up to the whole Jesus package. Thereafter we get people who proceed with all of the various religious rights out of social obligation, followed by those who do this due to familial pressure or expectations. But once we get to the point of those who were baptised / confirmed simply to appease a relative, we're into a sort of end game. That final generation isn't going to apply the same pressure onto their own children, and so in coming decades you are going to likely see a very large drop in the numbers of people even getting baptised.

While all that happens, the amount people who even believe in a god is deminishing. The business of being a priest in Ireland will face a terminal decline…quite literally since those who actually attend church and apply pressure on family members to undergo religious rites on their children, will be dying off. This may take decades, but it's likely to happen within the lifetime of many of us. The RCC will likely still exist, but in Ireland it will probably be reduced considerably.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,359 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Three reasons:

1 - The Islamic heirarchy is not responsible for abusing and covering up of abuse to Irish children.

2 - The vast majority of us didnt grow up under the authority of Islam.

3 - As I said earlier, people aren't changing, they're turning their back on religion full stop. ALL religions.

Beyond that, this is pure whataboutery.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

No there's one reason with regard to Islam.

People are afraid to be critical of Islam, given the majority of its members are non white and lot are immigrants here. Therefore they are afraid of being called racists or xenophobes by having legitimate observations in relation to the muslim faith. Only white people can be racist you know

From the Muslim men I regularly speak to, at beach or in local playground ( I don't get to speak to the women 😀)

1. Homosexuals should be ashamed and keep their heads down. Not big fans of pride week
    2. women's place is primarily in the home
    3. Society needs a strong religion to keep people in their place.

1950's Catholicism reinvented.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Poon Tang

I often did wonder what it's like being a priest, as a profession.

My mind always consistently went back to the idea that I would feel like my "job" was a bit of a made up fantasy role, almost like the local sorcerer or witch doctor.

Priests were always seen as authority figures in our communities, sort of on a par with the local Guard, GP, TD etc etc… a responsible figure. But those other professions are grounded in something "real" and tangible. Priests are practicing something that you have to believe is actually real. I would feel like a bit of a sham standing next to any other authority figure in a community. Plus, now you add all the abuse scandals and people tend to look at priests with a bit of suspicion (even if that probably isn't fair obviously), so the authority and respectability of the profession just isn't there anymore.

Just my perception anyway. I'm sure religious people would probably disagree with that take.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Conspiracy theory forum is probably more suitable.

Islam doesn't have substantial influence over our schools. Islam hasn't covered up generations of abuse and failed to compensate the many victims in the country. It's pretty clear why Irish people would feel stronger about Catholicism.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

You need to have a little more faith , once those Muslim immigrants are exposed to a progressive education system, they'll be voting Soc Dems in no time

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

Religious beliefs are just Santa Claus for grown ups, however we haven't yet found a hugely superior replacement for the structure it gave - gives to a lot of people's lives

I don't believe in god but wokeness is much more damaging for Ireland than Catholicism ever was

You mean will get a tit like the current FM in Scotland?

• Advertisement

https://www.whitelawpllc.com/faqs/how-prevalent-is-clergy-abuse-in-different-religions/#:~:text=How%20Prevalent%20Is%20Clergy%20Abuse%20in%20Islamic%20Communities%3F,cases%20tend%20to%20go%20unreported.

Interesting take from lawyers representing victims of sexual abuse.

Given much of the Muslim world is conservative or ultra conservative I'd bet my bottom dollar disclosure in that community is about where it was here when De Valera was Taoiseach

In fairness they sound like they're more in tune with the Irish electorate's decision not to change the woman's special place in the home!

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Kingslayer

Does a priest get a salary as such? They seem to have free housing and car but they would need spending money for food, petrol etc no?

You might be afraid, I'm not. Lots of people aren't, so stop making sweeping statements. Ive criticised it a few times before, but I tend to hold back simply because I don't know as much about Islam as I do about Catholicism. That's not fear, that's just common sense.

Your points are not 1950s Catholicism, that's modern catholicism. The opposed equal marriage in 2015, opposed a woman's right to choose in 2018 and called for a no vote to changing the referendum on the women's place in the home a few weeks ago and the most certainly have the stance about society you make in thier third point.

To be fair though, most religions have pretty much similar stances with this criteria; and it's THESE points that are pushing people from religion. The thing is, modern young Irish people don't like being told what to think, which is what religions boil down to and THAT'S the crux of the issue.

Beyond that, thread title says "shortage of catholic priests" - nothing to do with Islam. So with all due respect, I'll leave your deflection and whataboutery here and go back on topic.

If you want to carry this on, start a new thread and send me the link.

I always assumed that came from parish funds collected as mass and envelops.

If so I reckon cash flow took a massive hit during lockdowns. I won't be surprised if they coast on for years selling off property.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

• Registered Users Posts: 25,804 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Of course familiarity breeds contempt, but let's be honest the Salman Rushdie protests and the nonsense over the fake Danish articles didn't exactly bring the MENSA members to the forefront.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Haha I laughed out loud at this.

It's all part of "the plan".

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭animalinside

Why this hatefulness and mockery of RCC and its followers?

Think it's all stupid? That's fine, but what's funny then? Why feel the need to laugh at and mock people's beliefs?

You wouldn't come into a muslim thread with similar concerns would you, so why do you feel the need for this hatred to your own kind.

Why the hate and mockery.

And no I don't happen to be religious myself, now what?

• Advertisement

Why the RCC hate for children they abused?

Why the RCC hate for societies that they lied to?

I'll tell you why, because the church says everything is gods plan...but when something negative happens they don't seem to acknowledge the plan!

As Stephen Fry said, brain cancer in children, what type of god does that.

The church was pious and lectured the public for long enough, we aren't allowed to comment back?

As to your point re Islam, where is that thread? I think all religion is fallacy, an people that believe there is some greater being living on the clouds or wherever need their heads examined.

However in Ireland it is catholicism that surrounds us, in our hospitals, schools etc. Valuable school time being wasted on catholic sacraments in 2024 is scandalous. So I absolutely will mock and hate this particular religion.

And don't forget, most religious folk resent and mock other religions. As Ricky Gervais says, I just believe in one less religion than those people.

To be fair, I've never heard a muslim say "it's all part of God's/Allah's great plan!" dismissively.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

I do not at all think "hate" and "mockery" are the same thing or that having one means you have the other. I would "mock" certain beliefs because they are genuinely hilarious myself. And quite a lot of comedians have used religious beliefs for material very well.

Dave Allen used to have a great bit about Adam and Eve.

Eddie Izzard has a good one about Jesus appearing in heaven after crucifixion and sheepishly telling his da how he might have instigated a cult of cannibalism and vampirism.

And Ari Shaffir has a wonderful hour and a half free on you tube about how patently hilarious and ridiculous many Jewish beliefs are. The bit about how there is different ways of scapegoating sin and his dad chose the most graphic and traumatizing to do with his son when he could have taken him to feed bread to fish instead was hilarious. And I nearly split my sides about the special Jewish book that is essentially a FAQ on applying jewish beliefs in specific scenarios like what to do if your wife starts her period during sex - or how in the after life Jews have to meet the deformed children born of each and every time the Jew masturbated.

Many Religious Beliefs are genuinely hilarious and prime for mockery and jokes and jest. Even by the religious themselves sometimes. For all his other faults for example - I think the Rabbi David Wolpe is a genuinely funny man who can laugh at himself and his religion as readily as anyone else.

All that said though there is a phrase for your "You wouldn't do this to muslims would you" rhetoric. It's called Fatwa Envy. The truth is many people very much do say the same things about Islam as every other religion. For example that both Christianity and Islam are essentially a Personality Cult.

But the thread is about the shortage of priests or people entering religious vocation so it is important to keep all of the above in context and on topic. And I reckon one aspect of many involved in the shortage of vocation is people relying too heavily on taking it all seriously and clinging to hard to solemnity. Of all the priests I have ever met the ones who were both the happiest and the most effective in their role as a priest - were the ones who could laugh at themselves and their vocation at the same time as finding it serious and transcendent. And those priests had absolutely no concept that mockery and humor and irony were automatically indicative of - or born of - hate. And the resulting enjoyment of their career and life means they were probably most likely to recommend that career to others - or be an inspiration to others to follow them in a similar career.

If someone wants more vocations to the church - they could start therefore by not taking it all so seriously vicariously on behalf of those priests or that church. Make people realize that such a career can be as much fun and funny as it can be serious and meaningful. And that none of these things are at all mutually exclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭billyhead

To posters downing the Catholic church, that's your own opinion and you have a right to express it but to mock followers as stupid imbeciles is wrong. If people want to believe in religion and it's teachings that's thier choice. No need to insult them. Is it any skin off your back what people believe in? If it brings them solace through times of need what harm is that?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the funny thing is that quite often, the more religious someone is (and i'm speaking almost exclusively about catholics, as per DO'B's obersvation in the video above) the less they know about that religion.

my favourite example; only about a year or two ago did my mother - a lifelong catholic - learn about transsubstantiation, after i told her. she scoffed at me saying 'we don't actually believe that, it's just symbolic'.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Funny how it's completely fine for the Catholic Church and Christians to not just ridicule other people but to impose their beliefs on them through the constitution and spread all sorts of bigotry for no societal benefit whatsoever.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The difference between the two is that islam does not have the political power to force non-adherents to live their lives as islam sees fit.

Post edited by ohnonotgmail on

• Advertisement

While walking by a local, very large, church recently I saw they had covered a Sunday morning mass time with masking tape. So now there are 2 Sunday masses where there used to be 3. Presumably the same priest does the masses, so one must have been taken away due to lack of demand for the service.

Perhaps this will become 1 Sunday service in the future. Or maybe due to a shortage of priests some churches will need to consolidate.

Advertisement