Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protest outside Roderick O' Gormans home - read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

ah would you stop the scaremongering you sound as bad as the nutjobs outside o gormans last night just on the other side of the fence. Democracy is not under any threat you would think it was the night of the long knives the way you are blowing it up.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Whether it's anything to do with him being gay or not, it does seem to be a feature of Right leaning / populist politics in Ireland to intensely focus rage and blame on a few individuals. The attraction of that is obvious — it negates the need to actually think and negates any motivation to acknowledge that socioeconomic problems are complex because all you have to do is say "Roderic O'Gorman is a traitor" and that's all the argument you need.

It's just a really shi*ty feature of political discourse these days. Politicians are human, they are flawed, they do a lot of really good work and put themselves at the mercy of public opinion in a way that the vast majority of people never dare to do — and that majority gets the luxury of never having to actually justify the practical realities of implementing their views. Put any of the clowns outside O'Gormans house in power — or indeed the great sages they would have us vote for (the Hermann Kellys) and watch them fumble around and absolutely f**k everything up — and at least we would have the satisfaction of watching them be the guys who have to justify actual policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,491 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

This behaviour is horrible, and the Gardai should have forcibly removed the people within minutes.

I say this as a person who thinks ROG actions to invite bogus AS here is near-treasonous.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Attacked from who though. You might say they're under attack from these guys but others will say that our politicians don't give a **** on what we think and the disconnected between the public and their policies is massive (just look at the last referendum, response to immigration, hate crime bill etc).

To me, the government aren't respecting the will of the Irish people when it comes to immigration (most surveys are coming out with that) so when the gap exists and people don't think they're being respected, what do you think happens.

As for people claiming this is somehow an Irish thing, this is happening in a load of places and it's been the catalyst for the birth of democracy in some countries (France and US being ones we would have all learned about). Government should start listening to people more if they want to stop this or any further civil disobedience

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭slay55

But they weren’t being made to cover their faces. in this instance, they chose to cover their faces.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭BagofWeed

If these guys are so hard why don't they actually enter the house and evict Roderic out onto the street, it would free up a house for the homeless. Instead pointing the finger and blaming migrants is just cowards work. Also Gardaí again proving they don't care one iota about racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Yeah, it makes no sense.

Here's the count results from the 2020 GE:

Between Count 1 and Count 2 (where SF's Paul Donnelly's transfers would have occurred), O'Gorman only went up by 295 votes. For each count after that, it only went up by three or four hundred until Count 5.

Then in Count 5, O'Gorman is on 6,270. Joan Burton is on 2,406. She gets eliminated, and on Count 6, O'Gorman suddenly goes up by 1,990 to 8,260 to clinch the last seat. It's very clear where his winning transfers came from.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭techdiver

A few things on what has happened and the rise of this type of behaviour. As with others above, my position is protesting at someone's home is abhorrent and in fact should be outlawed. By all means protest outside the Dail and the constituency offices but laying siege to peoples homes (where other family members who have nothing to do with the individuals profession may reside) is the lowest of the low. Wearing masks too is another sig of sheer cowardice. At least if you're going to be a scumbag, own it and don't be a coward. The fact that you cover your face means you know what you are doing is wrong.

Many here are theorising as to what has lead us here. Misinformation etc is blamed, but whilst this is true to an extent it is not the root cause in my opinion. It is a symptom of the failure of the government to:

1. Listen to the concerns of genuine individuals.
    2. Govern for the good of the electorate.
    3. Communicate their position better. If they truly believe what they are doing is for the better of the country explain why. Our political elite, now just brand any concerns regarding immigration control as "far right rhetoric". They are incapable of debate and selling an idea to the people. Instead they attempt to use coercive language and soundbites that alienate people with opposing views. It's either vote for this, agree with that, or you're a <insert branding with negative connotations here>.

In my opinion the are failing large sections of the population in the above regard. With regards to the governments deflections that all the wrongs of society are down to the mythical "far right", they have ironically given fuel to that fire. If ordinary people are branded something they are not for voicing an opinion that the government don't agree with and goes against policy, then you leave the door open for these people to seek refuge amounts others, who claim to represent their fears. It seems our current crop of politicians are the same fragile types I used to see in Student Unions down through the years who are only used to echo chambers and are aghast at the great unwashed questioning their intellectual superiority. ROG, is a classic case of someone like this.

This is my thoughts as someone who is generally a centre left voter. I'm against religion in schools, believe in a woman's right to choose, voted in favour of both repeal the 8th and SSM. I believe immigration enriches society but there has to be a common sense approach to it. I believe in the welfare state and that we should always look after those of us who cannot look after ourselves. With all that said this lot has lost me and in some ways it's not even their political ideology, it's their sheer arrogance and lack of empathy for the people that they are elected to represent that angers me the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Peaceful protest? That's not peaceful protests. It's intimidation.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Intimidation of a politician. Of course that's a threat to democracy.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Yes. Not "targeting" - abusing/threatening/intimidating

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,841 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Paul Donnelly's surplus largely went to Coppinger in Dublin West (who O'Gorman beat out for the final seat).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,828 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

• Registered Users Posts: 17,117 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

It's not just ROG himself, that must be very intimidating for all his neighbours too. I certainly wouldn't like scumbags in balaclavas outside my home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

I had a feeling this was the case but thanks for confirming, I didn't know who the transfer came from but the fabled SF transfers I didn't think was right

• Registered Users Posts: 13,828 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

SF transfers elected McDowell in the early 2000s

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭celt262

He needs to step down he isn't fit for purpose but yes no need for that carry on.

• Advertisement

• So, do you think it was a sort of BLM/antifa style of protesting? That in your face, show of strength type of dynamic?

Its hard to tell from watching a short video. You would really need to be on the ground listening to everything being said etc. Especially when seeking to ascertain just how well organised it was.

No. Its not "protest" - standing outside someone's home like that with those disgusting signs while masked is intimidation.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭MFPM

I'm no fan of O'Gorman, but this type of activity is not on, his constituency clinic, the Dail etc are acceptable places of protest, but this isn't. The contrast with the policing of these protests and say eviction protests or more the Debenhams pickets has been widely commented upon, the approach of AGS is very standoffish and that seems to have emboldened the far-right elements behind the protests.

• Really? I didn't even know the chap was gay…

Did they have signs with homophobic remarks or were they shouting slurs etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭BagofWeed

The wrong people with the wrong ideology are protesting. But this suits the establishment fine, prevents the rest of us from protesting as we wouldn't want to be associated with racists.

Now you're trying to change the goalposts. Masked men showing up with those disgusting signs is intimidation.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

• What goalposts?

The poster said they don't like him because of his sexual orientation, I'm curious to get more details about this aspect of their demonstration.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,488 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

This thread is about the protests outside O'Gorman's home. It is not about his electability, and to answer a question earlier in the thread it most certainly is not about immigration.

Any questions PM me - do not respond to this post in thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

It should never be deemed OK to protest directly outside politician's homes. Peaceful protest at their clinics, on their way into the Dáil, at public events etc are all reasonable. Lot more effective than simply writing letters that can be tossed in the bin or emails that are junked.

Advertisement