Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

nvidia Shield - Tips & tricks [Read post #1]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

Thanks for recommending this, its fantastic, no more ads

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭theintern

Your question prompted me to finally get around to install it and yeah, it really is great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭seanin4711

shield pro still relevant in 2024? ,moving from firestick 4k & looking for options.

are nvidia going to bring out a new one or do i try buzztv box circa- 300euro but some specs tbh

thanks for advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,270 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Anyone have a spare games controller that they are not using? (Or a link to a cheaper online one!)

Mine is no longer charging, bought a new battery and still no good so no idea whats wrong, might have been dropped by one of the kids and broken a connection somewhere on the PCB.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 JMurphy84

Hi all! Any ideas on this issue? It's saying it's connected but it's actually not! This happened a few weeks ago but a hard reset of the broadband sorted it out but not this time! It won't connect to wifi of when I hotspot with my phone either! It's eir broadband! Any help greatly appreciated!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Have you tried setting a manual IP address instead of using DHCP or if you were using manual, switching to DHCP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,716 ✭✭✭corks finest

Afaik no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Have you tried a hard reboot of the Shield to see if that fixes it.

Maybe try disabling IPv6 on the eir router to see if that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 23 JMurphy84

• Registered Users Posts: 40 dextersnp

I'm looking for the 2019 version to buy, if anyone is selling it at a good price, DM me, please

• Advertisement

Should be a few on adverts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭larchielads

i think that has somethin to do with date and time settings. Happens me if i plug mine out. Dont know why it happens. Did a bit of diggin on line and people were sayin if it happens turn on or off your automatic date and time, cant remember which but that fixes is it without hard reset. Think it happens actual android tvs

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

You need to change time and date settings to 'match network'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Ive a Xiaomi note 13 running on hyper OS and a new shield pro

My phone won't cast to the TV . It worked perfectly with the old shield

Has anyone any suggestions on a fix please?

Edit. Solved by uninstalling Chromecast built in in the play store and reinstalling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Thats an odd one....

On a side note, Xiaomi still full of bloatware?

Had a lot of them,redmi etc etc going back yrs

Thanks

Seems to have been a known issue with a faulty update documented on Reddit. It's on the shield side rather than Xiaomi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭batistuta9

is the rte player still working alright on the shield?

Must check my old one. Seems like there's been a lot of TVs (including mine) getting an updated player that has the "live" option. I don't really use my Shield for streaming very often.

Post edited by Flinty997 on

• Advertisement

Just checked downloaded the latest rte player on my Nvidia Shield Pro (2017) and it seems to be the latest version with the live option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Yeah can't use latest rte player from play store on nvidia shield

Worse app ever... please just check BBC app and mirror that if rte can

what's the version number?

been using 2.0 on firestick for ages but over the past few weeks most programs don't work, nothing loads even the ads. 1 or 2 play fine though, the weather usually works.

usually hear bad experience with rte player but the android TV app has been pretty much flawless for a couple of years before now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Rarely use RTE Player as the experience in the past was far from stellar.

Reinstalled it due to previous posts mentioning Live support - Shield 2015

3.120.0 - 10th September

Tried Live TV on it and it worked for the 10 minutes i had it running

That's the version I have now 3.12 working on my Shield. Working just as well as the Android phone version. Ended up watching a movie on it. I had forgotten how annoying ads are. I'm not having any problems with it.

@moonboy52 @Flinty997 any of you able to copy the apk and share it?

Where is it on the shield

I found it using explorer but can't copy it anywhere. I assume because it's needs to be rooted maybe?

not sure what way people are doing it, probably with adb. it'll pop up sometime.

• Advertisement

Wouldn't watch it at gunpoint

100 pc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭Glebee

Cant say I've any major complaints with the RTE app on my Shield, does what is supposed to but it the amount of ads that pop up that drives me around the twist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭moonboy52

@batistuta9

Managed to copy it as a zip using X-Plore File Manager and send it to PC using LocalSend.

However it is a split APK and the 3 seperate APK's total 6MB, whereas an older version of the app on APKMirror is 30MB, so i doubt it will work sadly :(

APKMirror has the 3.117.0 version (August), so the latest might appear there soon. Or it might just be a staged rollout and will appear soon on your device.

Without looking into it further, cannot send you the latest APK :(

It's the ads and any interruption they restart. Then the ads are in VGA or such from 1990. On some older versions of the app the ads don't appear.

• Advertisement

thanks. wanted it for firesticks as they still haven't an app for them, vm & tg4 are there though but rte gona rte i suppose. the old version 2.0 was working fine until recently. I'll see if you can install splik apks on them.

that one on apkmirror is the regular android version don't think they've the tv one

Anyone get the clubber app working on shield by any chance??

Adds were enough for me to know that I'll never ever put it on again

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

i see its split up its 19.28 mb on chromecast and only 9mb when i downloaded it

just updated rte player on nvidia shield thru playstore and its got live option

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Dogsdodogsstuff

only ever used firestick for this sort of stuff but can Nvidia do the same thing ?

Disney, prime , Netflix , IPTV, downloaded (for some other apps) and Rte would be main ones I would want to use.

Im not overly techie so I’d fancy a device that is fairly handy to use and setup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭BandMember

In simple terms, the Firestick is a lightweight, cheap option not suitable for full time use and prone to buffering issues due to being connected via WiFI. The Shield is the top of the range, high spec and future proof option that is worth every penny and will last you years! There's plenty who still have their 2015 or 2017 version running fine. That should tell you it's durability, value for money and easiness of use.

whats the version number of the app ? 3.12.1 v?

3.120.1 is the version i have

that's a load of crap, fs are fine for full time use. more than enough for 99% of people

& shields are hardly future proof at this stage, latest one is 5 years old. doesn't support some hdr formats

Firestick gives you ways of getting us , uk , austrailian , canadian and german apps etc all updating on the same account - these apps are geolocked - and every update would need sideloading on a shield .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭savemejebus

shhh don't tell my shield that, it's got zero problem updating my apps from different countries play store from different accounts while on my main one (without vpn)

No way I would put firestick and shield in the same bracket. Any firesticks ive had I have been driven demented by the slowness and unresponsiveness of the OS. There grand but the Shield is just quality in my opinion. Would not go back to a firestick although dont know if the latest versions have changed much.

Latest 4k mac gen 1 ones have 16 gb and are fast - if you buy an out of date cheap lite version there poor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,819 ✭✭✭lertsnim

4K Max Firesticks are not sluggish at all. They work really well. I use one on my 2nd television and never have a problem with it.

I do prefer the Shield though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement