Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Large arrays / NC7 applications

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭randombar

Solar company submitted on my behalf, I think they stated the 2 x 6kw inverters (only looked for 12kw NC7).

I'm very confused by the thermal capacity though.

Technically every house in the area could have up to 5kw of solar. 90% have none (I know all the neighbours) so rather than 3 houses have 15kw why can't 1 house have 12?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭TerraSolis

I bet this is harmonics related… I was initially offered 7kVa MEC due to harmonics. Once I escalated, I got passed from a nice but slightly clueless grad hire to the boss man who re-did the harmonics analysis and showed that I could go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭10-10-20

That's the thing that we are all wondering. The specific question back to ESBn is "what is the limiting factor in the decision to restrict me to 8kVA?" We're thinking that it's either that thermal thing (from that document: "…because the most onerous constraint is thermal capacity...") or the harmonics.

Is there anything I'd need in relation to harmonics questions before they call? Tech docs for inverters I'm guessing but how do they calculate?

Yes - you need certified harmonics data for the inverters in question (or they make really exaggerated worst-case scenario assumptions.) What inverters are you proposing? If you give me detailed model specs, I can see if I can find the right docs in the G99 database for you.

• Advertisement

2 x Solaredge SE6000H Screenless.

Installer was back onto his networks contact and apparently it's harmonics all right, that I've to argue my case.

There's two houses down my laneway fed off a three phase line, hard to see how the harmonics are bad?

Alright, making progress!

@randombar type tested data up to the 40th harmonic for the SE6000H attached. You'll be able to get this across the line, but you'll have to argue. They have assumed that your inverter exhibits the maximum harmonics allowable to comply with EN61000-3-12. You can now show that the inverter exhibits much lower harmonics as certified by the type test attached. They can now use this info to reevaluate harmonic limits.

brilliant stuff. I’ll have plenty of ammo for call on Monday.

• Advertisement

Guy rang me this evening about it actually, seemed like a sound guy, going to call out Tues, sent on the pdf and explained that I have a 16kva MIC, seemed open to investigate further and did explain this is all very new for them.

He was wondering if the transformer was the reason for the low MEC but I don't think he was aware of the 16kva. I'd say he hasn't looked at the case at all yet really and is only starting the investigation.

"seemed open to investigate further" - That's the stuff. They'll sort you out as best they can now I'm sure.

Investigations proved to be slower than I thought.

I'll go back to SolarEdge now for that information but I'll need to figure out what xx is now so I can get the MEC of 12.

============================================================================

The Harmonics data on it’s own as provided is not used in the calculator for Mini Generation. Therefore what’s provided would not allow for a higher MEC value.

What we need from the Manufacturers as per EN61000-3-12 is the following to assess this differently:

Some devices may produce lower levels of harmonic currents and hence lower voltage distortion, so that their kVA installed limit (MEC) could be higher.

Please see second paragraph below. Can you please engage with the manufacturer of the equipment to confirm the values denoted by ‘xx’ in this paragraph

Post edited by randombar on

The paragraph/screenshot isn't loading there. What's xx that they're looking for?

Yeah, you linked to your gmail rather than the intended document.

This again… What ESBN aren't accounting for here is that manufacturer's don't test for IEC 61000-3-12 compliance down to lower Ssc values, so ESBN's policy here isn't sensible. IEC 61000-3-12 is an old standard that is isn't fit for purpose when it comes to modern inverters and distributed gen.

In the UK, the recognize it and have developed a new standard called EREC G5. EREC G5 was developed by the Energy Networks Association and ESBN are actually a member. G5 doesn't require further manufacturer data and instead makes a calculation based off the inverter size.

I raised these points during debate around my own assessment and never had to provide further manufacturer's data. I would argue the case and request assessment under the G5 standard.

what figures do they use to test off g5 and what’s the equivalent equation?

See pages 45-47 of EREC G5. Pretty straight forward. They just need the power rating

The latest:

======================================================================

So to progress any application they have for accepting their Inverter we need a Type Test confirming that it conforms to EN 50549 – conforming to EN 50539 automatically means that it meets EN 61000 requirements, and that the Rsce to be used is 33.

IF they want to have a lower Rsce used then they need to get a Type Test to EN 61000-3-12 (which goes up to 50kVA 3 phase) showing that the equipment has been validated at a lower Rsce, or that it is within limits at a particular short circuit level (Psc). These calculations are done by the Type Test Laboratory and need to come from the Type Test Lab.

However, every Inverter sold in Ireland to date has a Rsce of 33, so it may not be a problem for them to run with the standard.

There was some mention in the installers letter which seemed to indicate that they felt that a lower Rsce would allow a higher MEC – the Rsce relates to the maximum size of generator which can be installed, not to what it can export. The only relationship with size of MEC is that if you are limited in what you can install then this obviously limits what you can export.

In the attachment SE-Emissions they list compliance with EN 61000-3-11 and EN 61000 -3-12 for a number of Three Phase models,  which is fine, but there are other tests in EN 50549 which is why a Test Cert for EN50549 is required. Also this attachment did not reference single phase models.

As EN 50549 is a European standard I would expect that if Solar Edge are selling anywhere in the EU they should already have an EN50549 Test Cert.

In relation to the documentation submitted, they have provided a Test Cert for the UK G99, but this is Ireland so our requirements are different. Essentially conformance to EN 50549 means that most of the tests required in UK G99 were already done when the unit was tested to EN 50549. Similarly EREC G/5 is a UK standard and not relevant to Ireland.

A point for them to note is that the Protection Settings for Ireland are different for the UK so that the protection values shown on the UK G99 cert are unsuitable for use on ESB system.

The Test Cert supplied from Israel showing conformance to EMC requirements under EN 61000 – 6 is not of relevance to ESB – any standards to which the unit must conform are in EN 50549 and in the ESB Distribution Code.

• Advertisement

They're just tapping the sign that is already well established. They want a type-tested report that states EN 61000-3-12 compliance down to an Rsce or Psc level, which manufacturers and testers don't do.

In fact, nearly every modern inverter ever is compliant down to crazy small Rsce values, as implied by the G99 cert which demonstrates very low harmonic levels. ESB Networks know this, they're just using an old standard that's not fit for purpose.

In the case of the SE6000H, it is actually certified to comply with the requirements of EN 61000-3-2 (see cert attached), a far more strict and rigorous standard that applies to equipment of < 16a per phase (IE about 3600 W at 240V) even though the SE6000H is up to 25a.

In this scenario, most DSOs allow connection without further assessment as compliance is stated with a much stricter standard. See for example the screenshot form Western Power Networks (Now National Grid DSO) for their harmonics connection assessment procedure (policy attached).

Gone back to them with the following:

So to progress any application they have for accepting their Inverter we need a Type Test confirming that it conforms to EN 50549 – conforming to EN 50539 automatically means that it meets EN 61000 requirements, and that the Rsce to be used is 33.

Response: Please find Type Test confirming that it conforms to EN 50549 attached.

IF they want to have a lower Rsce used then they need to get a Type Test to EN 61000-3-12 (which goes up to 50kVA 3 phase) showing that the equipment has been validated at a lower Rsce, or that it is within limits at a particular short circuit level (Psc). These calculations are done by the Type Test Laboratory and need to come from the Type Test Lab. However, every Inverter sold in Ireland to date has a Rsce of 33, so it may not be a problem for them to run with the standard.

Response: I have attached type tested data up to the 40th harmonic for the SE6000 including Limit in BS EN61000-3-2 in Amps, these calculations were done by the type test laboratory and came from a type test lab.

There was some mention in the installers letter which seemed to indicate that they felt that a lower Rsce would allow a higher MEC – the Rsce relates to eth maximum size of generator which can be installed, not to what it can export. The only relationship with size of MEC is that if you are limited in what you can install then this obviously limits what you can export.

Response: My understanding is having a lower Rsce would give me a higher Harmonic limit, and as I am applying for the Export Limiting Scheme I believe it is this harmonic limit that is used to determine my MEC "the most onerous"

Basically I just need to get you in a room with these guys 😀

I've seen a thread in relation to my case, seems to be with senior enough people.

The strange thing is the N/A on my ELS too.

Basically, it comes down to this:

Rsce <33 is outside the scope of the EN 61000-3-12. This basically means there is a grey/undefined area in the overarching EN 61000 standard when it comes to the connection of distributed energy sources to Low Voltage Distribution Networks.

ESB Networks seem to have recognized this, so they instead have developed a policy that allows manufacturers to state compliance with EN 61000-3-12 harmonic limits at Rsce levels < 33. However, manufacturers and type-testers do not test for compliance with the limits down to lower levels of Rsce precisely because that falls outside of the scope of the EN 61000-3-12 standard and because other DSOs apply alternative methodologies to plug the gap/grey area like EREC G5, and the Western Power Networks policy attached above.

I'd really like to get the Irish Solar Energy Association involved on this one, because otherwise there's a de-facto ban on higher (but not unreasonable) levels of solar inverter connection at the LV network even though the equipment would technically comply with all relevant harmonics standards quite easily.

I argued this case and provided plenty of data and assessments to show that it'd be grand. I never provided docs stating compliance with EN 61000-3-12 at at a lower Rsce level, because frankly they don't exist.

Eventually they made an MEC offer for my NC7. It took arguing and elevating though.

Ya this does seem to be a bit crazy, how does anyone get an NC7 so in that case??

@randombar I have fired off a quick email to the Irish Solar Energy Association to see if their grid working group would be interested in engaging with ESBN on their harmonics policy. It irks me that people are still encountering this based on an antiquated standard.

If they come back to me, would you be interested in providing further details/specifics? Such as who your installer is etc.

Anybody else with NC7 experiences of the same too, would be good to present more data.

It's such a silly blocker and nobody is seeking the watering down of grid standards. But the current interpretation of the EN 61000 standard means you basically need an MIC>= 1.75 MEC at all times on a harmonics basis, which is nonsense.

It's the least I can do for all the help you're giving me.

Send me a pm there and I'll send email/phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭portach king

Hi everyone,

Posting here as it was recommended I pop over from my own thread.

I'm hoping someone can offer some advice as I'm
    trying to complete the Micro-Generation Installation Confirmation
    Certificate myself and am a bit stuck.

For context, I had a
    disagreement with my solar panel installers (explained in a previous
    thread) which thankfully resolved with them agreeing to cover the NC7
    costs and me taking over the application.

Now, the ESB requires
    this certificate (FORM NC7-01-R1) and there's a section regarding grid
    protection settings with boxes to confirm compliance. I'm unsure how to
    check if my Solis S5-EH1P6K-L inverter meets these specific settings
    before sending it back to them.

I apologise if this is a basic question, but I'm out of my depth. Any
    guidance on how to check if my inverter aligns with these settings
    would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement