Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Money is a factor but only because there isn't another league where they can earn similar. IRFU doesn't only have to worry about high paying jobs like the NFL would, but also other leagues.

Agree with your other point. The average length of an NFL player career is 3.3 years, less than the length of their cost controlled contracts coming out of the draft.

Irish rugby doesn't have the playing population to churn through players like that if they aren't immediately showing progress. Having an annual draft means provinces are enticed to go after the shiny new young player each year, knowing that you get another shot the following year no matter how poorly your development program is.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

As exampled here with an impressive efficiency, you just don't deal with a representative sample of Irish rugby fans on this site. It's important to stress this for fans of the other provinces, who may otherwise feel that such uninformed, childish spite reflects a majority opinion. In my experience, it very much does not.

I think this is a fair and reasonable post on the topic.

One point though - a lot of the “structural” advantages people cite about Leinster: the private schools, the population & demographics, the stadiums nearby etc to move games to and grow the gate receipts etc - all of these things have largely always been the case, or certainly have been in place for 50 years or more.

So I don’t think they’re as significant a factor as they’re frequently ascribed to be, because Leinster haven’t historically been so dominant in terms of internationals / CC players.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I'm not. You're conflating things.

The significant imbalance I'm talking about begins next season. Leinster have been the most consistent club in Europe for the last 8 years before this scale of an imbalance.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭custom_build

To be fair, I am literally parroting exactly what you have said. You are speaking out of both sides of your mouth.

Is there a big enough player pool and finances in Ireland to have three teams at the level Leinster are at? Definitely not.

So the choice is to dilute Leinster so that we have four teams at a Scottish club level. Or we continue to let Leinster develop world class talent for Ireland and themselves and hope that the other provences change their structures to be more competitive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

There's absolutely nothing spiteful or childish about that statement, it's a simple fact.

Sorry that facts hurt your feelings and you choose to attack the poster rather than the post. We'll see if the mods give you the soft treatment you usually get from them.

There is clear evidence of how Munster made a complete mess of their academy system for a decade and only after they made significant changes that their system they also started producing the far higher quality we're seeing now. You must believe that is pure coincidence.

You're literally not. Here's what you've claimed I said:

On the one hand, Leinster are at an advantage and thus more competitive because there is an imbalance in the number of CC's they have.

The issue I have is with what the imbalance of CC's will be next season.

"Will be". Not "is" currently.

Do you see the difference?

I dealt with that in my last response to you and instead of responding to it you've just repeated it at another poster:

As for the outlook of going 10:3, we aren't even seeing some huge shift in spending due to it - we may never will. Leinster are losing Molony, Jenkins, Ngatai, Alalaatoa (plus other squad players) and so far they are bringing in Snyman and 6 months of Barrett. I'd argue those wouldnt be far off netting from a cost perspective, if not Leinster will be paying less (though it could change with a TH signing).

Leinster are sacrificing quantity for quality in their transactions thus far. It isn't like they taking the potential two extra central contracts and bringing in 2 extra players at a similar cost.

Fair enough, hadn't factored in the scenario where two central contracts would be the downfall of Irish rugby.

I really yearn for the good old days when everything was more equitable in Irish rugby. (last week).

• Advertisement

You really must not be reading my posts.

I'm not calling for equality. I'm calling for less inequality.

If you can't see the irony in those words you just typed, you're lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

I haven't been reading all the thread, so maybe you've said this already, but how do you get to where you want to be? The best, most important players will be paid the most, no?

You've saved yourself a lot of time.

It has been done to death with them - they have been asked again and again but have no credible solution that moves the needle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Surely Nash would have received extra for his international caps already. The more arguments I hear the more I think nothing should be changed and central contracts are working perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

None of the other provinces ever had a subsidy from the IRFU that allowed them to have 9 starting players they didn't have to pay for in fairness

Yeah the other provinces spent a few quid on NIQs on some of the rare occasions when they had a bit of cash in the bag, they've had to pay for all but 1 of their own players this coming season though so that makes it harder you know?

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Munster for a period did have a poor academy structure but were always behind leinster anyway at age grade and wereonly ahead of leinster from players who cane through clubs scene(adults) in early years of pro rugby and leinster wete miles behind.

Munster started to change their whole approach around developing players through youths and schools interpro teams around 2012/2013 and it just takes time for that to show at pro level. Their systems are now very good but thats 10 years in the making.

Biggest issue for munster hasnt been the last 10 or ao years but the years before thatas systems ans structures are totally different and improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,561 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Munster did when they were winning HC in the noughties

Don’t really understand what point you’re trying to make here.

Obviously the other provinces haven’t had this situation previously - but that’s directly because they don’t produce enough quality players.

The current CC situation didn’t create itself - the roots of this situation where we now find ourselves were sown well over a decade ago when a lot of the current crop were coming through.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

and if it flipped tomorrow and Munster had 9 CC they would have no issue with the system 🤣

• Advertisement

Agree with most of that.

I probably could have been clearer in my post, when I said 'a decade' I wasn't specifically talking about the last one, as I've repeatedly given Munster credit for improving things over the last few years. It will take some time, as you noted, which is why I don't buy into the 'cant see how they'll get closer to parity without intervention' narrative that some have started pushing this week.

I provided the below detail on the differences in the capital investment side of things on the previous thread when @theVersatile specifically @'d me requesting what I was talking about when it came to a the contrast in focus between Munster vs Leinster. After spending time to write it I didn't hear a peep back from @theVersatile, despite them posting further on this topic.

Leinster used private investor money to build and staff both their main UCD training facilities for their main team and academy and sub-academy (opened 2011) and their Donnybrook Center of Excellence, which is specifically for pathway players (opened 2019). There are also 5 more of those centers planned around the province.

Leinster were planning to heavily invest in their facilities even before they won their first EC - a two year turnaround to move into a high performance space for their team and academy.

Over ten years after Munster's first EC win and their team and academy still wasn't even consistently training in the same county. Instead of facilities and coaching they dumped their money into big name signings, internal politics, and a white elephant stadium.

How many more central contracts are there now? 3

How many more central contract were there then? Way more than 3.

Right?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,561 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

But Munster did have at least 9 if not more back then, yes there was more CC but they did have the bigger share of them

As I've pointed out repeatedly now, Munster never had as big a share as Leinster will have next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Rugbyf565

Think tonight was a new low point for ulster rugby. Hard to see any of those players who played tonight making the international side.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

So what? It's not like it's undeserved. You would swear that Leinster win Europe every year. Leinster have massively underachieved, imo. Despite the CC's and advantages etc. Winning nothing is not achieving! Or is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭theVersatile

I didn't hear a peep back from @theVersatile despite them posting further on the topic

I actually didn't post any further on the topic (aside from welcoming back FTD). Felt I needed to take some time to exercise muscles other than my thumbs :P

I suppose now that you have my attention...

Munster have developed Centres of Excellence in Cork and Fethard IIRC (with additional planned I believe), and I'm not sure what the craic is with the HPC whether that was UL or Munster themselves, although I imagine its similar to the UCD situation.

Munster also used private investment (as far as I'm aware) to sign a special skills coach for the Academy and sub-Academy, Mike Pettman. His influence can easily be seen in Munsters current set of young players (especially forwards).

It's almost as if there are exterior circumstances which affect player development.

You also point out that Leinster's investment area has been from external investors, rather than income generated by the province, which is kind of the original point I wanted to emphasise. The money that goes into schools rugby as a whole is basically it's own economy separate to Leinster (but that's not to say that Leinster haven't done good investment in their pathways also).

That's not to say that Munster have been perfect. Peter Malone was academy manager for about five years too long and the unity in playstyle/coaching emphasis from the Senior side down through to the sub academy and underage sides was a very recent (I believe Larkham era) development.

But I don't think it's fair to say that they have been completely neglecting pathway development to the extent you seem to be indicating

Advertisement