Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

If Arsenal lose to Bayern tonight, the additional Champions League spot for next season won't be going to the Premier League. Dortmund winning last night moved the Bundesliga into second spot in the rankings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

He's playing week in and week out at a higher standard in the PL and standing out. I think we are vastly over estimating international football at this stage..

Rice, Bellingham and Maddison midfield is moving Bellingham back deeper and is not using him in the position which he has excelled at this season. You are moving potentially the best attacking midfielder / 10 in the world on form to accommodate Maddison. Why?

If England don't want to throw Mainoo in then they still need to fill that position with a player who can complement Rice and Bellingham. Not changing those 2 around to accommodate a lesser player.

Be no harm.
    Utd are well off the pace now anyway. Dortmund currently 5th in Germany - think I'd rather see them in the CL than Spurs

If we are honest JWP is fairly average in general play. He's a set piece machine but in open play he isn't a standout player.

You'd bring him and play him later on in games that are tight for the chance of a free-kick. He'd also be a handy option to throw on in extra-time if game is heading towards Pens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

The coefficient rankings are determined by points gained from clubs across the current season’s UEFA Champions League, UEFA Europa League and UEFA Europa Conference League.
    Teams get coefficient points for winning games and reaching different stages of the competitions. Any match win in any of the three European competitions at any stage after qualifying is worth two points and a draw is worth one point. Teams that make the last 16 of the Champions League get five bonus points, and then one more point for each further round. Teams in the Europa League get one bonus point for each round from the last 16, and in the Conference League there is one bonus point on offer for reaching the semi-final and final.
    The total amount of coefficient points gained by clubs from a league are then added together and that score is divided by the number of clubs that league has in Europe in the season. England had 8 and Germany had 7 and they are competing for that last slot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭golfball37

So Tottenham will have to cheer for their rivals against their home grown hero ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭slegs

As a Tottenham fan if we cant get 4th we deserve Europa and Villa deserve CL. Cant ever bring myself to shout for Arsenal even in this scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

As a Villa fan I’m enjoying the assumption that we’ll get 4th, I think if we can win our next two Bournemouth and Chelsea at home that puts us 9 points ahead of Spurs before they play Arsenal. In that scenario and given Spurs other difficult games in hand I think Villa will get 4th. But you never know there will be more twists and turns at both ends of the table.

• Advertisement

Its the right way to be when you haven't been there for a long, long time. Never count your chickens.

I really hope Villa make it.

Just out of interest who would you say has been your best player this season. I had this conversation a couple of weeks ago with friends and it ended up 4-2 against who I believed was your best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Watkins is the obvious one but I hear a lot say Douglas Luiz

I've a lot of time for McGinn

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭IrishOwl...

Douglas Luiz has been exceptional this year. I always had a question mark over him, and could he cut it at a City and the likes as I felt his consistency the past few years was not always there, a few good games followed by a few questionable ones.

But this year I think he has proven himself as one of the best midfielders in the league...

Douglas Luiz is who I said but four said Watkins. For me it's Luiz with Watkins and Martinez just behind him.

McGinn is a great one too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Emi Martinez for me

Yes it’s an interesting conversation as Emery has had the knack of raising the level of all players particularly those he inherited from Steven Gerrard.

I think on balance it has to be Ollie because of his statistics, I’d then go Martinez and then it’s close tie between McGinn and Luiz but if I could only keep one out of McGinn and Luiz it would be McGinn. His passion, drive and energy has carried the team so many times.
    But we also can’t forget Konsa, Torres, Bailey and Digne who’ve also had a fantastic season.

Above all else the one person who’s made the biggest difference at Villa is Unai Emery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

Two German teams in the semis surely means curtains for Englands 5th champions league spot so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭mobydopy

Yup , mixed emotions tonight for Spurs fans I bet

I suppose Italy are top in the coefficient rankings due mainly to the Europa league with Roma, AC Milan and Atalanta in the quarterfinals and Fiorentina in the Conference League

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Watkins contributions have been undeniable. He would be a pick for the leagues POTY not just Villa.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

THe EPL teams had a bad week in Europe, only Villa flying the flag.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

West Ham going out to Leverkusen is no disgrace. City to real neither. Liverpool will be kicking themselves and arsenal never look like troubling an ordinary Bayern team though.

Newcastle gave a decent account of themselves but were naive. Only man united were properly shite in Europe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

Big week ahead for Arsenal and Liverpool. If they both can win their games and be 4 clear of City it puts a toll of City to lift themselves after getting knocked out by Madrid. I still think some are premature in thinking that it’s definitely going to be City. As I said, if Liverpool and Arsenal win those 2 games they won’t even be thinking of the last week and what happened them.

All 3 teams are capable of dropping further points for sure and I expect they will.
    The question is do they drop less than City from here?

Liverpool and Arsenal have just had a couple of highly disappointing back-to-back results. Picking themselves back up is the real task. Arsenal especially haven't shown they can bounce back from these setbacks just yet.

So yeah, these next couple of games are key. If Pool & Arsenal drop further points then you just give City too much wiggle room in terms of error. They won't drop that many points all the same.

Win the games and maybe a bit of pressure can be applied to City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

Liverpool look absolutely shot, I wouldn’t back em in the next few games 3 away games in a week is tough even when going well.

Arsenal will be interesting to see if they can dust themselves off after a couple bad results though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Both Liverpool & Arsenal look tired, Liverpool moreso, due to differing reasons.

I'm not sure they have the physical capabilities to rally another charge again. Arsenal lost out last season and haven't shown yet that they can go toe-to-toe with Man City over the course of a full season. Arsenal's xG over the last month doesn't look too good, bar the odd exception, so there are doubts over the creativity now too.

Liverpool's schedule now is very tough with the 3 away games in 6 days and quick turnaround to the 12.30 KO, to add to the tiredness. Liverpool were creating too many chances in recent games, but the finishing was not there. Against Atalanta, there were basically no chances created and that is the real worry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,153 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Don't think you can blame one player in this case. Granted Nunez is at best average but it is definitely not just him that has cost Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Interesting to see that Arsenal are actually top of the "last 10 matches" form table. Their next three games are

(A) Wolves,(H) Chelsea and (A) Tottenham. Will they be playing a Chelsea team that has just knocked out Man City, or one that has been put back in its box?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

The more important last 10 games will be the most recent 4 & the last 6 games where it becomes a mental challenge also; both Arsenal & Liverpool have 7 points from those 4 games, I do not see either getting more than 12pts from the last 6. I do think City can get to 84pts.

Also after City beat Luton last Sunday to go 2pts clear, both Arsenal & Liverpool knew that they would play 3 games before City play again, a big chance to be 7pts clear & that would put City under huge pressure. One of them have to win the next 2 games to put City under some pressure, if both fail to do that then the league is over on Wednesday.

Yes, the player with 19 goal contributions in ~20 games worth of minutes has single handedly cost Liverpool the league. Of course, it has to be him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yup… now, we might still be ahead if he was in better form over recent weeks, which of course can be said of most of the team, but we certainly wouldn't have even been in the title race to begin with without Nunez' contributions.

And even with his more recent struggles for form - the consistency of his goal contributions has been nuts, very rarely goes more than a game without a goal or assist.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Lack of goals from elsewhere in the team, Diaz huffing and puffing but not really blowing anyting down, Salah … so many missed opportunities and bog standard performances aplenty - epitomised with his missed lob last night, on his left aswell and yes Nunez has good stats but everyone knows they could and should be better. But, I look at Rashford, a player well capable of scoring and being exciting as he has proved in the past, but looks like he completely doesn't give a toss about putting effort in - a complete passenger and Nunez who should be doing a lot better but has a ridiculously good work ethic and is still a bit raw, I wouldn't swap him in a fit.

He is an easy scapegoat to some, but not for me. I expect he will get better, but over the season as a whole, he is one fo the reasons why we are punching above our weight this year. We weren't expecting to challenge this year, but when you are there, you hope the season doesn't crash and burn like the last 2 weeks have. Top 4 was the aim and another trophy earned. 'Outside' chance of the title still, but it's very hard to see an upturn in form that would be necessary to achieve that.

I know he has cult like status but his lack of finishing clearly affects the team. Hes great at everything else but any striker whose actual weakness is finishing isn't gunna lead a team to a quad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Of course, but it's a hugely reductive swing the other way to single him out as 'costing' the team the season. For 75% of the season the team was winning games week in week out, and he was providing a lot of those goals and assists. What's really 'cost' the team is just the injuries at key times. Good players like Jota weren't able to come in and share the load, which meant those that were fit were run into the ground - so now those lads look absolutely mentally and physically shagged, while even the returning injured lads like Jota and Szobo look well off the pace still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Its fair to ask if 11 goals was enough to sustain a title race from our most expensive forward purchase ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

Yeah, I’d be a bit skeptic of whether Darwin can be the real deal for Liverpool. It’s mad how often he shoots straight at the keeper, the chance against Palace last week should have been a goal. But as others said, Jones should have got one or Salah should have got one, to blame him solely is missing the big picture.

Post edited by doc_17 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

• Advertisement

His assists are fantastic, his work rate is fantastic, his positioning is generally perfect, but his finishing is awful. I think it seems logical that if he was a better finisher the other forwards wouldn't have had to been ran into the ground if ye were already ahead in games.

Its the same issue with Onana at United their biggest weakness (Onana's case - basic goalkeeping & Nunez - actual finishing) is the actual most important part of their position. It cant really be ignored.

Nunez is the most expensive signing alright, but he's not the primary forward at Liverpool. That is Salah, and Liverpool play towards/through Salah the majority of the time so he will be the primary source of goals, and take penalties etc. Nunez's numbers would look differently if he was the primary forward, was first choice on penalties etc. Liverpool have been awarded 6 pens this season. I think Nunez took and missed 1 of those 6. Hypothetically and for arguments sake, let's say he scored 4 of the 6, his goals scored would look a whole lot different.

Some context is needed.

Liverpool paid a similar fee for Nunez to Newcastle paid for Isak and their records are similar enough this season. I would classify Isak as the primary Newcastle attacker, and he was lauded as "a superstar" by a poster in this thread a week or two ago. The 2 players have started the same number of games with similar enough minutes played overall. Nunez has 11 non-pen PL goals, but Isak has 13 non-pen PL goals. Similar enough record there from open play if you ask me. Including penalties, Nunez remains the same but Isak jumps up to 17. if you add in assists, Nunez's total PL goal contributions would be larger than Isak's. PL goal contributions this season stands at 19 Nunez, 18 Isak, including penalties. Excluding penalties, so basically open play, Nunez has 19 PL goal contributions and Isak has 14. One is regarded as "a superstar" but one is constantly called a flop, rubbish, the reason why Liverpool won't win the league etc.

And if we go through the top 6/7 PL clubs and compare Nunez vs the secondary goal scorer in each club it is a similar story. Going by total goals scored in the PL, and taking the secondary player at each club, the ranking looks like this (penalties included);

Foden 14

Nunez 11

Richarlison 10

Gordon 10

Havertz 9

Bailey/Luiz 9

Garnacho/Hojlund/Rashford/McTominay 7

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Diaz, Jota, Nunez and Salah are all all at fault in some way for Liverpool finding themselves a whole 2 points off top with 6 games to play.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Losing 4-1 at home to Burnley. Can Sheff Utd just be relegated already. Even if they win all 5 of their remaining games (I doubt they will get more than 2pts tbh) which would almost double their current tally…they would still only end up on 31 points.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

They're playing man utd next at old Trafford so might be points there for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Some amount of hoops being jumped through here. If Salah leaves in the summer who is the “primary forward” at Liverpool?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

And what hoops are they exactly? Because people are trying to compare Nunez to Haaland et al and just pretend that Salah doesn't exist?

If Salah leaves next season, and Liverpool line up with Nunez as their primary forward, then you can compare Nunez to the primary forwards at others clubs on how they also do next season. Because there is no manager at the club next season, we don't know how Liverpool will set up, and what players will be there etc.

Since when was Salah a primary forward? Whatever that is.

Can't make head nor tail of it, its Kloppesque.

Simple fact whether 4th 5th 6th choice Nunez has the worst feckin big chance conversion rate in the the top 5 European league at 20%.

The chances are falling to Nunez and he hasn't a bulls notion how to finish them. Someone should really tell Jurgen not to keep giving the non-primary forward the primary chances he cant take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Laughable isn't it. He's their number 9 and plays down the middle as a centre forward so he's their primary forward whatever that is.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement