Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2024 All Ireland Senior Football Championship (Sam Maguire Cup)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,926 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Derry will be a Seed 3 now. As a Seed 1 last year they got Clare as the Seed 2 in their Group. They could both be in the same Group again.

The paint on the pitch was a message to "Stop the Killings". Some people broke in overnight. It was partly scrubbed out before the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Today showed there is still life left in the provincial championships.

Div 2 Cork put it up to Kerry and were leading by 4 points at one stage before Kerry got the win by 3.

Real get out of jail card used by Galway and heart break for Div 3 Sligo who looked heading into added time were going to get a famous win.

Last but not least Donegal who played their league football in Div 2 this spring taking out the Div 1 champions. Goals wins matches and Jimmy is winning matches again for Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,926 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Five teams left in Ulster now. Only one of them from Division 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭blowitupref

All depends on the draw now. Could get Dublin,Kerry as 1st seeds and Armagh or Donegal as 2nd seed in their group which will make it harder to top their group. I'd expect most if not all group winners to reach the last 4 this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,492 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

• Advertisement

Pretty sure he gifted Galway a goal in the semi final a few years ago when he was of on one of his adventures. No idea how is still #1.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Id fault him for the 2nd goal. Should probably have got it.

He is quite obviously under instruction from management, highly unlikely this is something he decides on himself so I dont fault him any more than I would fault a full forward whi has been brought back corner back to do a man marking job for not scoring.

Id give a pass for the first goal to both as its something they have been doing for a few years now to reasonable success, I cant remember them getting caught out on it before. But it should have been clear after the first goal thst Donegal were targetting him with lightnight fast bursts on to breaks.

To be still doing after it costing them 3 goals just boggles the mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭soap1978

Got caught out in all Ireland semi final against Galway,comer got the goal that day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

Donegal will give any team a bellyfull of it, McGuiness is some manager, turned them around from shite last year to genuine all Ireland contenders. Tactically he will have a plan for your Dublin and Kerry's no doubt. Great to see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,709 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭rolling boh

If Derry are a third seed that will make it a difficult match for whoever has to go there later on .I wouldn't rule them out after today's result just yet .

As they say league is league and you know the rest. I was seriously impressed by Donegal this year after seeing them twice live and to be honest would fancy them against most teams except Dublin which I still think would be a toss of a coin. The X factor is McGuiness as he will have a plan for Kerry and Dublin later on.

Id agree. I dont think they will contend this year although they will be very dangerous opposition for anyone. It will be interesting to see what else they bring to the championship as we can probably assume no other team will hand them goals like today

I wouldnt either. It might do them no harm not to have the gruelling Ulster championship and reset and freshen up a bit. They are still in the top 3 for me

I kind of get what Canavan meant though. The Div 2 final is pretty worthless and an afterthought especially for the likes of Armagh and Donegal and having seen the two games there was a world of difference between them. The Div 2 final was a dreadful pedestrian affair whereas the Div 1 was a cracker at championship pace.

Like Derry would have had to prepare mentally and physically for the final v Dublin whereas Id say once Donegal were assured of promotion, everything after that was targetted for Derry game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,605 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

You could have a group with Dublin or Kerry, one of Galway, Mayo, Armagh, Donegal or Tyrone, Derry, and Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,346 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Has anyone said anything yet about the championship in April just not being right?

Cant see the problem with it tbh, the two games today I watched were decent. I actually enjoy the way the season is set up now before you would be waiting for months between league and championship and generally the semi finals in august were the only decent competitive games along with Ulster. There are good games all year round now. League to Ulster to all Ireland series then to club finals. Much better set up for clubs also.

• Advertisement

Dont get that logic at all from canavan. The league final was 3 weeks ago so plenty of time for both teams. It's a poor excuse

• Registered Users Posts: 18,562 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I strongly disagree with that. If you look at the league winners of div 1 historically over the last 20 years or so. Mayo still managed to get in the top four in the Championship in 2019 which is not far off what a "peak" Mayo team does normally.

It is a definite indicator of championship form either in that year or just before or just after it. The league was integral to Dublin's success in 2010 they got to the first league final since 1993. It is now an anomaly rather than the norm where a team has a poor league and does well in championship. I believe the last time Kerry were relegated from div1 was in 2002. That is no fluke.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,562 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

To be honest I think Canavan was going to say that no matter what. Even before the league finals he was saying that he wants them done away with. His logic is they basically interfere with the provincials - ie "Ulster". But I think it would be madness to scrap them. Best football competition the GAA have. I have had plenty of good days out following my own team in league finals or as a neutral. They should be building up/jazzing up the league rather than scrapping it IMO/

You can easily spin Canavan's argument the other way and say the league has stood to Donegal. It gave McGuinness valuable gametime to perfect his tactics again etc etc. Donegal made a right show of Armagh in that Div 2 Final.

But instead he focuses on the league win somehow being a negative for Derry.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,985 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

gaza and a protest over the bloody sunday hearing , both go hand in hand up there , and all over the country really

Advertisement