Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,995 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I think you'll see the eight subs get some game time whether it's off the bench or playing a half here or there. They'll need gametime and I can't see them being limited to two more sub appearances this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Ospreys have beaten the Stormers away. That's a big surprise and maybe gives Leinster a small hint of an opening for next week.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The Stormers shipped a huge number of injuries in the last 16 game against LAR, wonder are they still missing a load?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Cause this has worked swimmingly in the past obviously. We'd genuinely be at risk of dropping out of the top 4 if we do that and having an away route to the URC.

There is making something the priority and taking the complete piss and we are veering more towards the latter.

I don't agree with the strategy but it's what I think we'll do.

I'd prefer some rotation but keeping a strong core of first team players in the 23.

• Advertisement

Fair enough, me too. I also just think it is better for the squad. I think this maniacal focus on one comp/game has not helped Leinster be mentally on top for the game when it comes. Too much pressure.

I really hope they don't though.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Rugbyf565

I think the Lions game has proved that leinster actually need Barrett for their depth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

McGrath's been an important player over the years, and his commitment is beyond question, but it's looking as if the experience and leadership he brings are outweighed by poor performances in games. Obviously we don't get to see how his character and personality are positives in the group environment, but it's looking as if it would be better to back Foley and Gunne (Murphy too - if he isn't leaving for Connacht).

I don't expect to actually see it. McGrath himself had to wait while Matt O'Connor persisted with Reddan and Boss well past when he should have promoted the younger player.

Leinster are weird when it comes to scrumhalves - it taking Farrell picking JGP for them to select him ahead of McGrath; pointlessly bringing back Nick McCarthy from Munster while letting Patterson and Rowan Osborne go in the opposite direction; and then splitting minutes equally between Foley and McCarthy last season when Foley clearly, clearly had more upside.

McGrath has captained multiple times and used to bring an excellent all round game that was unfortunately held back by his passing. His passing has now deteriorated to a level that no level of game management would carry, but beyond that his decision making has gone down the toilet. The quick tap penalty today indicative of it. Great servant to Leinster but I really hope to not see him next season.

Don't think it's fair to hold the quick tap against him. It was others who messed up, not him. What's the alternative? Kick it up the line and build pressure? It's not as if a lack of possession in the opposition 22 was one of Leinster's issues today. They spent ages hammering away to no effect. It's understandable why he wanted to try something different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

This match hurts but, we lost at home to Ulster. A match I think we should have won. We bottled it v Glasgow. We've left a few points behind there.

Jack Boyle apparently at an AIL match in Limerick! Hmmm

Castres beat La Rochelle. It's also possible that Rog and his elderly band of merry men are not what they were. Don't write off Northampton, boys. Could be, that the Saints will be a far more difficult task.

Obviously that was the alternative? We were roughly on the halfway line and could have put pressure on in the 22 with the game building towards us. Instead he essentially ran off on his own with no one ready for it all to make ground to the 10m line and ultimately the players the ball got to out wide were completely isolated. It was a dreadful decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

I don't think the Saints have anything uo front to worry us too much. They have talented backline but I feel we should be winning by 11 plus

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The man at 12 was about the only one that played well.

^

Ngatai was very good today. He's not a huge man, but constantly makes metres post contact and has a lovely passing range.

It's such a shame that he's picked up lengthy injuries in both seasons with us. I think he's contributed quite a bit, but could have been even better with an injury free run. Would have loved to have signed him when he was still in his 20's. Could have had a Nacewa sized impact.

If Barrett was in the squad at the moment it's unlikely he'd have been taken on this SA trip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Yea that's true. There is the factor in the north that i don't think players get that athletes tax rebate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Was the Garryowen Wesley game in limerick? He came up through wesley i think so could he supporting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭scott1974

I've given up Tring to analyse French teams results especially away from home.. we beat what was in front of us, that's all you can do..

Northampton were leading by a point (I think) before the red card.. so might have been different with 15 v 15..

Well have a game plan for Saints and we need to execute it..

It was 18-17 to Northampton when Leicester picked up the red card after 60 minutes. It wasn't a full strength Northampton side, but was still pretty strong.

Leicester put it up to us a few weeks ago, but on reflection we had a few extra gears to go up if needed. Northampton have a truly excellent attack and I'm not sure we'll be able to completely nullify them.

Our big advantage is up front, especially in the front five. Their pack is good especially in the back row. Lawes and Ludlam are excellent. But they don't have the same quality in the replacements.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭markest

You may be surprised, has improved this season by a good margin.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I dont think you're right on this.

I doubt we'll see them being even more conservative than last year. We already saw more of the 23 subs on the SA trip. Last year we saw a decent mix of starters and 23 subs during the URC match 2 weeks out from the EC final and even the URC semi the week before the EC final had a sprinkle of 23 subs.

We lost badly in the heat and at altitude. We deservedly lost! We were poor. The team had quite a few experienced heads and yet they failed away.

We should be hoping for any points available next week. Otherwise poor Ospreys are in for a thorough humping!

I've said it before and I'll say it again, what does McBride actually bring to the table? Very poor coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

On the game itself, a lot just went poorly for the team. The pace the Lions have makes it a dangerous one for a team that doesn't have full cohesion. Minor breakdown or miscommunication and it is a try against you. The stats tell a lot more than the score

As for seeding, I wouldnt overthink it. Once we avoid having to do a trip to SA then it shouldnt be a bother for this side (thanks Munster). Final in Glasgow would be nothing to fear for our starting team and Munster would be similar and likely end up in the Aviva, even if they do it in Munster it wouldnt be far off a 50/50 split for tickets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Has you seen him coaching or just making an assumption?

Advertisement