Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk Price III

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭green daries

II'll Second that ..... just in case he hasn't noticed 😉

..... its brutal here the last two days again would sicken ya to the back teeth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭orm0nd

I've noticed, best thing we ever done was cut back in numbers, making as much if not more money and less hassle.

Great stuff good for you ..…..butthe weather is still absolutely shite.you must be on fairly free draining ground...

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Lorne Armstrong

The Dairygold Board has agreed a Weather / Fodder Relief payment of 2.0cpl incl. VAT for March milk and kept March Quoted Milk Price at 40.0cpl.

Plus the March Early Calving Bonus of 1.0cpl excl VAT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Arrabawn is topping me up 3c ltr for the shite weather and 30 euro a ton rebate if I buy dairy feed off them.

The sun was out for a couple of hours to day did it do anything to improve your attitude?

Yes you're right my land is free draining, when it's not under water that is.

• Advertisement

Great stuff yet again I'm delighted for you ( was genuinely the first post and am now too theres enough people who ddislike us as a group). We got very little sun an a nice drop of rain here today . Cows a week out grazing 4 hours max a day can't travel 2/3 of my ground with fertiliser. I'm not too bad I've feeding and bedding and sheds and above all a bit of help .who I would have been really lost without this year. As long as we are healthy we will be OK 👍. are you out full-time yourself now or how are ye fixed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,302 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

there’s no rise to base price tho which is very disappointing as we’re lagging behind Lakeland’s and Dairygold on that …..3 cent whilst welcome is just a one off for march which was a poor production month and won’t be there for April so our base will be 38.94at least 2 cent on base needed for April

poor move not to at least give 1 cent on base

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

https://agriculture.ec.europa.eu/system/files/2024-01/eu-raw-milk-prices_en.pdf

we seem to be 2c off the average price paid to an eu supplier for march….if you take off "weather support" which eu coops didn't pay its as much as 5c…..are our coops really selling 10% cheaper than the eu competition??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

The joys of relying on the world commodity markets. How were we looking in November 2022? Most of the other countries are just supplying their own large domestic markets so I don't think it's right to call them our competition either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭older by the day

Had a American cousins home lately and they joked I must be a millionaire at the price of kerry gold butter in America. I wish. We are the last to be paid.

The good news

Drinagh: The milk price for the month of March has increased by 0.5 cent per litre to 41.25 CPL including SCC bonus & VAT. A weather milk price support payment of 5.0 CPL plus VAT is also paid on all March milk.

And a 15 euro/ton rebate on feed runs up to April

Fair play to the management and board of drinagh.

Bad news. My electricity bill came this morning 1100 euro. Ff,fg government hates small business

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

5 cent hardship top up, that's excellent in fairness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭cjpm

Drinagh are incredible. I don’t suppose they’d take a refugee….

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

are our customers actually charged commodity prices?….our coops accounts for that period suggests they are not……they got charged about 15% more according to our coop ceo's, commodities jumped 50%

we have to comply with same legislation as eu coops, we have access to their markets….they are our competition in the most lucrative market in the world

the dutch are one of our main competitors internationally (nearly 2/3 of supply is exported)….only 1/3 used in domestic market…..its fair to compare and they are between 2-5c ahead….

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭farmertipp

iI think alot of inefficiency in coops atm. every coop board should be driving management to cut costs and sacred cows given reduction in milk processed yr on yr. dg board is just not interested in the hard grind or doing something to put money in farmers pockets. hiding Inefficient practices behind assembly costs of 9.1 cent per litre which is an increase of 50 percent in a few yrs. if about of milk processed falls then costs need to be cut as well. I think our management has become lethargic also. probably needs new blood now just like board

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭ginger22

No a DG supplier here but was reading a statement by the DG ceo last week. "The dairy business is stagnating, we need to look at M&A opportunities". I think in a few years time farmers will be bailing them out again when the M&A opportunities go pear shaped like last time they went on a spending spree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

I’ve commented before about Kerrygold.

I’m supplying milk to make a butter that’s AOP. That butter makes substantially less in the shops comparing to Kerrygold..but I get substantially better paid for my milk than you guys get for Kerrygold. So where’s the money going for Kerrygold?

Last milk chèque was a lot lower because BF is down to 4.2 now that cows are out to grass, but it was still over 53cpl + vat.

huge amount of inefficiency ….and board members don’t be long forgetting about lads that elected them after elections. …don’t answer phone and give you the fob off …best people don’t get elected either due to **** old school politics ……

we’ve constantly been sold a pup here re our production system and it’s supposed benefits and the premium we should get …..where is it …..our cooop despite an impressive set of accounts released this week have paid up a base price of 38.9 cent vat inc ….sounded great when they added 3 cent for march due to weather

I think any active shareholder. they're called A1 shareholders in dg should be able to throw his hat in the ring. the committee system is full of old guys who don't care or who don't want to get rid of sacred cows in their area.

all A1 shareholders should be able to vote in board elections. postal vote .and term should reduce to 4 yrs from 5. limited to 3 terms . cream would rise to the top you would hope

i think rearing your black calves to yr old and getting 900 to 1000 plus is also a good system rather than overloading milking platform as they call it now and zero grazing grass into them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭alps

It would be very interesting to work out the profitability of the black calf system based on Nitrate loading usage out of your now Nitrate Quota.

If you sell them say at the end of March each of there sold animals will add about 39 kgN to your total. This is about 42% of a cow.

If you can return 900/1000, what would your profit/animal be?

If this beats 42% of the profit from a cow (which it might), the system's flexibility beneifts may be quiet an addition to a dairy set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭grass10

This system was always the most profitable until teagasc and the ifj told all the farmers that they should stop doing this and instead breed jex cows let the calves die get next to nothing for cull cows get a pat in the back for getting a high.price per litre but the cows produce low number of litres and put all your eggs in 1 basket and be totally reliant on approx 6 milk cheques and your winter will only be a few weeks long now hopefully some lads will see the light and ignore the so called advisors that are drawing big fat salaries get rid of all jex cows and buy in British fr cows and have proper yearlings to sell

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

It's the rent that kills it.if you ve land its good enough but then if you've plenty land there's loads of things you can do that make sense.

You know there's a good few bang away here that it's all teagasc s fault and that the ejits are all following them and we know better and that's why we have maize,cereals,calving, all year round,milking through the winter,diet feeders,cows indoors or whatever.just to say we all have calculators and most can figure out for themselves what systems suit them best and most are following the money

We re commodity producers end of story.very hard to establish brands or try new products when our home market is so small

I would say it does beat 42 or very close to it.especially as some will go earlier than March. I sold in January Feb. outside blocks make it attractive. might be different if all land in one block.

in my experience all beef on a dairy farm do is keep a ball of ready made money available to cash in when needed ….depending on year little of any profit after all costs ….money is in milk and that’s where I’d concentrate it ….saying that I’d love to be able keep 25/30 beef animals to yearlings but if I did due to nitrates and banding cows nos would have to drop and that’s where the actual profit is so replacements contract reared and male and beef calves sold as calves ……it’s an extremely simple system now as from may on only stock on farm are cows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Jack98

If you put a cost of 250 an acre on ground for example to rear replacement heifers and calves do you reckon the cost of having them contract reared is much the same, less or more?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,713 ✭✭✭jaymla627

its still burned in my memory when we where at the sucklers, think it was the autumn of 2009 having to take 550-650 euro for lovely chx r/u grade weanlings that where averaging 350kgs in the mart…

The only reason good cattle are back making decent money is like youve said the quality of dairy breed stock has gotten so bad, if everyone went back to breeding better quality animals wholesale, the arse would more than likely fall out of them

• Advertisement

I’m contract rearing due to banding /nitrates /cut to dero ….allows me maintain cow nos with bit of wiggle room and always have enough feed in yard ….honest answer to your question on cost I don’t know as my decision to contract rear wasn’t based on that

Advertisement