Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2024 World Championships

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Session to spare, it was a very long drawn out affair. Anda was very poor for a seeded player.

That was the score after two sessions.

There was a risk of a comeback and a need for a third session late tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭weemcd

Not watching but Selby looking in trouble

The standard hasn't been great early on. You'd need to step up your game to stop Ronnie or Trump here. They are due to meet in a semi final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,977 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,500 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

BBC4 is not empty throughout the day, the same transmitter/wavelength broadcasts CBeebies until 7pm. So it's not actually available for snooker. And not as simple as paying for a new transmitter, they are expensive and their number is limited by the BBC charter.

It's not so obvious, because our TV providers split the signal so that CBeebies and BBC4 are different numbers on our EPG. Can't have Spongebob leading into Rise Of The Nazis.

On topic, I see we are getting BBCNI'ed today with GAA coverage from 3pm whilst everyone else gets snooker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,977 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I’ve been watching snooker all day on bbc or the Eurosport player.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

session to spare? No, there’s only 2 sessions.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭badabing106

Snooker can't be in a healthy place as a Sport when three of the favourites are 48 years old? They are all 15 years past their peak!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

• Advertisement

they/them/theirs

Have you been watching this year? Williams is playing better than ever and Higgins isn’t a favourite. Higgins is a massive outsider now.

Ronnie playing very well too. None are 15 years past their peak. It’s not football, it’s snooker.

they/them/theirs

Yeah, I know, I was replying to a post further upstream

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,522 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I don’t have a problem with that. I don't get the allergic reaction to criticism of the Crucible. It's just a venue.

What's the usual rate of qualifiers winning tge first round? Qualifiers have won 2 matches and Joe o Connor is likely to beat Selby.

I feel like they're usually win about 3 or 4 of the first round but don't have any stats.

Well in 2023 4 qualifiers beat seeds, in 2022 3 seeds lost first round.

would love to see Maguire beat Carter, but he’s finding a way to lose.

they/them/theirs

Cheers They could win a few more this year.

I thought Mark Allen was very good on commentary today. He was very natural and gave a good level of insights. Very conversational in tone

One thing about the Crucible that many may not realise is that Sheffield City Council give World Snooker Tour the venue for free.

So when a certain few players on World Snooker Tour start bitching fashionably about a venue that has been has done a lot for the game it can be a bit hard for punters and the local taxpayers to take. Anyone who has visited the Crucible recently can see for their own eyes how well kept and up to date it is, with comfortable, plush seats you'd not get in a lot of places these days.

Vafaei just comes across as an idiot with comments like that quite honestly.

Yeah but he's not sitting in the audience seats. I'd be inclined to take him at his word about his experience of the backstage side.

It would be bad for us if it moved to China or somewhere far away because we'd likely never be able to go there. But the game might benefit from it changing location to more modern venues.

I'm not interested in a soulless, empty 10,000 seater stadium in Saudi Arabia, but there are other places, even within thr UK where it could be held to be benefit everyone, fans, players and the game.

I've not been back stage in the theatre, but I've been around most of it and I find it hard to believe the practice room is sub standard versus the rest of the building.

Each of those tables cost 20 grand installed, and they'll put them 'in a garage'. Give me a break.

It smacks of the sort of prima donna rubbish that has infected football in the past 30 years. It's a pity this bull is being introduced to the sport now, because one of the big attractions of snooker to many people is how down to earth and relatable the players were. And the vast majority of them still are.

This punter isn't even in the top 16. Where does he think most people work. If the Royal family came out with that sort of stuff, they'd soon be taken down a peg or two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,948 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Delighted Tom Ford won his match. Hoping Stephen Maguire can win his match although wouldn't be surprised if went to a final frame decider

Fair Enough. I don't pretend to know his motivation for saying what he said. I just presumed he was relaying his experience.

He's on fire. He's Stephen Maguire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,729 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

not the most gracious interview post defeat from Carter…….disappointed im sure but his comments on Maguire re: luck….? Hmmmm might have been better off bemoaning his own bad luck rather than having to comment on Stephens luck….

Classic Carter. Missed some absolute sitters and blames bad luck. He’s a terrible loser, I really don’t like the guy. No grace in defeat

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 18,882 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I can't remember which commentator said it, maybe it was Hazel Irvine. Said she would like to have a "Carter Cam" just to see his constant expressions during a match.

He got worse as he went on, shaking his head and all sorts in the last session. Everyone just takes the mick out of him at this stage.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

I watched a good portion of that game and the worse thing about Carter is him shaking the head at every piece of luck against him but he never acknowledges his own luck. Delighted he's out.

Murphy determined not to lose again in the first round to a Chinese qualifier

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Man that's gotta hurt!

Wilson really got away with one there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,948 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Advertisement