Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

I don't actually care how much debt they have except that in the future it's going to impact the world's economy and their ability to intervene in countries like Ukraine. There's always going to be another conflict and another country being invaded who will need their help. Ukraine isn't the first and sure as hell won't be the last unfortunately.

Russia's economy is so far beyond trouble that the sooner it dies the better for Ukraine and the basic Russian soldier.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

No doubt that it is but their interest payments now exceed their defence spending at around 2.5%, even with all the advantages that you have said. If they continue to add debt, there will come a time when it becomes a problem for them.

Anyway, not the thread to discuss this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Seems Putin is looking for Gas customers to pay for it using Rubles only! I wonder how that will work out for him?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,447 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

YAAAWWWWNNN. Been hearing this for decades. Guess what - the world's still stumbling along.

I'd be worried about RuZZias sanctions and debt, tovarisch. The US is supplying Intel and weapons to Ukraine, not 'intervening.' If it were intervening, I think this conflict would have ended about 2 years ago.

Seeing what's happened to 'the 2d most powerful army in the world' /sarcasm, I wouldn't be so sanguine about more invasions, as one of the worst invaders is kind of off the pitch for awhile.

….oops meant as a message to the mod, not sure how it ended up here.

Post edited by Igotadose on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,491 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

For all the hatred of America. The world turns its eyes to America in crisis. I'm happy to see my tax $ make some of ye happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭Gerry T

Post edited by Gerry T on

sorry, this was meant as a PM to the mod, somehow it ended up on the thread. Tried cleaning up the mess, unfortunately wasn't quick enough. Weird, I'm sure I used the 'send message' button, yet, it ended up here. fat-fingered.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,403 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Still finding this funny

All Eyes On Rafah

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,318 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Whilst true, defense and international relations is one thing the US government is -supposed- to be spending money on. We can save money elsewhere, this is still important enough to fund.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

Americans should give the Ukrainians a good few of their retiring A-10 thunderbolt warthogs , and let them convert them to super drone, autonomous weapons . Or even let some Kamakaze pilots loose in them and supply them a nil balance on the ledger .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭thomil

I get the sentiment, but unless you have air superiority and at the same time drastically reduced the enemy’s air defences, sending in the A-10 will be tantamount to a death sentence for the pilots. Don’t get me wrong, the A-10 is still a fearsome weapons platform and is designed to take one hell of a beating, but most of her combat has taken place in uncontested airspace. Russia may not have air superiority over the front lines and combat area, but neither does Ukraine.

Focus should be on getting those 61 pledged F-16s operational first, followed then by finding out if the rumours about Ukrainian pilots being trained on the Mirage 2000 that were mentioned a few hundred pages back in this thread are indeed true. Personally, I hope they are, the Mirage 2000, even in its older versions, is still a fearsome beast, but I won’t be holding my breath on that.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Economics101

Is someone confusing this guy with Jeffrey Sacks?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

David Sacks seems to be a different, less eminent, Russia-sympathetic American with a similar last name.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_O._Sacks#Russian_Invasion_of_Ukraine

I suppose there are a good few of these people on likes of Twitter/X.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

Apparently, Kommuna. Which is a bit of a shame, really. Fortunately, as a catamaran she's really tough to sink, and is mainly gantries, so maybe she'll survive.

Not that I'm against lobbing missiles at Russian ships, but Kommuna was launched by the Tsar's navy and has no offensive capabilities, so gets a bit of an exception from the historian in me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭zerosquared

What’s the alternative? When are you gonna ask for your wages and pension in yuan or … lol … rouble?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭aidanodr

This paragraph from Jax may come in very useful for us all over the next while .. copy paste

If you had actually read the bill,you’d know most of the money in the bill goes to U.S. weapons manufacturers to build back depleted U.S. weapons supplies. Only about 20% of it goes directly to the country, and that’s in the form of a loan.

Stop trying to manufacture outrage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭rogber

Let's hope so. It's been a very difficult start to the year for Ukraine and at the very least this buys them time. Importantly it also buys the EU time to finally get its act together because the US might not deliver a package like this again.

And with every passing year scumbag Putin gets a bit older and more vulnerable and maybe more fractures will appear internally in Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Read what he said. Basically any western jet around the world which is due to be scrapped (many are yearly) give them to Ukraine.

They'll load them with explosives and use them as a high powered one way kamikaze drone. So they'll scrap them for the west end no pilot's will be hurt.

They've already converted small civilian planes to drones. So it's a tactic they are familiar with.

• Advertisement

Still not worth the effort, if not even crazier. The reason those converted sports planes are getting through is because, apart from a few structural beams and the engine, there’s next to no metal involved in their construction and as a result, their radar cross section is pretty much as small as you can go. Also, they’re relatively quiet and the engine noise can easily be confused with a moped or something similar.

Compare that to an A-10, or indeed any combat aircraft approaching retirement in the west, which is an all-metal design and has a correspondingly massive radar cross section that will show up clearly on any air defence radar. Also, anyone who hears such a thing go by will know that that was a combat aircraft that just passed by. Besides, you’d be throwing away an aircraft that, despite its flaws and age, is still a highly capable combat platform in the right environment, with a ton of weapons hard points.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Polar101

Feels like if it were a worthwhile tactic, Russia would be using old MiGs and the like in a similar fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭macraignil

I agree the A10 converted to a drone would not be very suitable to a role as a deep penetration stealth drone application for the reasons you point out, but it is heavily armoured and if converted to operate without a pilot or piloted remotely as the Ukrainians seem to be capable of engineering then I don't see it as being that crazy to take a plane that would otherwise be scrapped and put into service in the front line air space where it could still be of use for its effective ground attack weapons and even just flushing out the positions of putin's air defense systems. Ukraine's armed forces claims to have already eliminated 767 of putin's anti aircraft systems so in my opinion taking some scrap and using it to help eliminate a few more could make life for Ukrainian pilots easier and help turn the tide on the front lines in Ukraine's favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭smokingman

I say we just nuke Moscow from orbit...only way to be sure.

Get that reference and see what Russians are to humanity now

I vehemently disagree with that comparison…

…the xenomorphs were competent at what they did…

I see where you’re coming from, but there’s a difference between remote controlling an FPV drone and doing the same with an aircraft that has multiple different electrical, hydraulics, fuel and electronic systems, and is not designed to be remotely piloted. Now don’t get me wrong, I do believe that the A-10, as a manned aircraft, could be a very useful tool for the Ukrainian Air Force, much more effective than their current ground attack aircraft, the Su-25. But it needs the proper environment to operate in, and right now, that environment does not exist. As I said before, get the F-16s into Ukraine first, see how well they are able to seal off the airspace over the front, and then we can talk about strike or ground attack aircraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Any "peace treaty" not guaranteeing post war borders & Ukrainian territory by NATO forces won't be viable as Russia won't be stopped from tearing up such an agreement at a future date & invading the rest of Ukraine. The tankies & useful idiots, far right & hard left vermin won't want this as they demand total Ukrainian surrender as always, whilst "calling for peace", then demanding NATO be abolished.

Ukraine giving away the currently occupied lands to Russia means it would not be a viable state without proper defensive access to the Black Sea. Whilst parts of Donbas region could be handed over, both the south coast & Azov sea region & Crimea being also given to Russia would never happen unless Ukraine is totally conquered.

Maybe parts of Crimea & the Azov south coastal region could be a United Nations demilitarised zone, ensuring Ukrainian access to the inland sea coast after a peace treaty. That's all Russia will potentially get, Donbas & a bit more if Ukraine decides to do a deal IF NATO agrees to secure Ukraine's borders. To do so would require having defendable territories against a future Russian invasion.

I don't see any future peace treaty for another 2 or 3 years, even then there might be a ceasefire & no peace settlement, with Ukraine being in limbo, similar to the Korean peninsula. Until then the war will continue as both sides are essentially not beaten in a military capacity for a long time yet.

The EU & Western European governments now need to properly step up & ensure more substantial aid arrives in Ukraine by the end of the year. Everything Ukraine needs should be supplied unless Europe wants to deal with 10 million refugees displaced by a Russian victory, which would cost every European citizen much more in financial costs than giving Ukraine proper military & civil aid & assistance.

It does a bit more than that, though. For example, this appears to be going to be done without Ukraine having to pay>

A good chunk of the money for 'Ukraine aid' which is staying in the US is going to improve the defense industrial base. i..e to help the manufacturers make munitions faster, which I think is going to have knock-on effects for Ukraine. Some of the dollars also are going to US military operations in support of Ukraine: The US may not be fighting, but I'll defy anyone to say they're not conducting supporting operations like passing intelligence or repairing things.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Poon Tang

What do you think would be Trump's approach to ending the conflict? He has stated that he will bring it to an end.

Are Europe really as hawkish politically as the Americans, when it comes to backing these sort of military engagements? The yanks certainly seem to think we're lacking in that department.

Personally, I would take that as a compliment coming from some of the neo-cons in Washington, who seem eerily calm about the possibility of a third world war breaking out. We seem a bit more sensible over here in Europe. (hopefully anyway)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

What do you think would be Trump's approach to ending the conflict? He has stated that he will bring it to an end.

Something monumentally stupid, like bending over to Putin, or escalating even further. Depends on which way the wind is blowing. Only last week he called what Russia is doing a "holocaust".

Are Europe really as hawkish politically as the Americans, when it comes to backing these sort of military engagements? The yanks certainly seem to think we're lacking in that department.

Ah the old clumsy divide and conquer approach eh? The problem for Putin is Europe has become more "hawkish" by the month. If the US decide to go isolationist under Trump(imho I think that ship has sailed) expect Europe to go even more all in.

Personally, I would take that as a compliment coming from some of the neo-cons in Washington, who seem eerily calm about the possibility of a third world war breaking out. We seem a bit more sensible over here in Europe. (hopefully anyway)

Annnnnd, we're back to waving nukes around. That never gets old. Remind me again who invaded whom? Who is responsible for insane destruction, millions displaced and hundreds of thousands of lives destroyed?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement