Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukranians returning home for holidays etc

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

As opposed to doing what?

We are lucky they still have an opportunity to see their family in person.

Also, if there is any problem, it's with our refugee system, not the refugees as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,139 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

War needs an off ramp, where both sides won't be happy, Russia will not be taking over Ukraine, and Ukraine will need to accept Crimea is gone. As for Donbass, that too will be Russian, and as for rest of Ukraine, Nato membership a must for its safety going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭burtner

Not sure what you are suggesting here. is it that Only people from the war areas should be taken into Ireland OR that there is plenty of safe places in Ukraine for them to be housed there ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

I have no way of knowing if what the OP says is true or is just someone trying to stir up negative sentiment.

Returning to a region of conflict, war and death for a holiday is not my idea of R&R and brings a whole new meaning the phrase 'Dying for a holiday'

Most people would not take that chance/risk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

People who thought the war would be over in a few months?

Listen, the Russians are not going to stop. Their armed forces outnumber by 10 to 1.

I expect Kiev to fall and the rest of Ukraine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Most likely. So anyone with any sense would probably be looking at getting their family the f**k out of there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,814 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

People are not going to Ukraine 'on holiday'. They are returning to see their family members in a country that is at war and with the grim prospect that this war could could go on for several more years, with no sense of normality in their country. This is probably a stressful experience for them, definitely not a relaxing break.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

They did themselves no favours by leaving safe countries that surround Ukraine and coming here when they found out over 200 quid, free healthcare, accommodation and food was on offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,713 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Well I would assume their family would be with them here not left in a war zone or if there then fighting

Ukraine is coming up on holiday sites

Sorry if I sound cruel and harsh but some are abusing the system

• Registered Users Posts: 17,584 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

If you think the OPs story is real, I've got some magic beans to sell you.

Strange how this story appeared barely a day after the latest aid package from the US has passed the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

youre either fleeing seeking refuge or you arent….. we provide everything to genuine refugees. if you are happy to go back on holiday, did you ever need to leave? why cant you go back fulltime? should you really be a refugee living on other peoples dime……

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Someone quoted holidays, but you are correct it's not a good situation. The OP said "Business" without going into what that was.

Whatever the reasons, I would not be returning to a war zone I had fled from on "business" or to see family. War breaks up families and low cost travel is no reason to go home. If I had the means, I would pay for others to visit me, and thus get them out of the stess and grind of daily struggles in Ukraine. Going back to war and suffering…no!

Post edited by Kaisr Sose on

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭gerogerigegege

Of course they did themselves favours by going somewhere where they'd be looked after, it's not rocket science

• Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

They were being looked after but came here for better money and health care putting pressure on services that are already stretched to the limit.

Its not rocket science.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,713 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Even the government brought in restrictions for Christmas holidays for them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭20silkcut

guess what even on the front lines in Eastern Ukraine there are many places where there is little going on and are basically safe but that can change in an instant. Russia can hit any square inch of Ukraine with impunity at anytime. I once heard an account of a soldier who fought in Northern France during world war 2. He said you could be sleeping in a field with your colleagues completely and blissfully undisturbed while just over the hill your comrades are being massacred mercilessly. War is not constant bombing and fire and death over every square inch of the war zone. It comes and goes and fights are generally in pockets and salients etc. This should not have to be explained. A basic understanding of war would explain this. Every square inch of Ukraine is at war. Every square inch is legitimate target for the Russians. While the war is ongoing Ukraine is seriously compromised and vulnerable. It is common for people to flee war zones until the war is over. This has happened countless times throughout history. It just in the jet age they are fleeing further distances in greater numbers. British country dwellers were very put out taking city kids during the blitz in WW2 so this Ukranian bashing we see in Ireland is nothing new or unusual either in relation to war refugees.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Are their big cars checked for tax, insurance and valid NCTs like the rest of us taxpayers?

Just wondering in case I have ever have the misfortune to be involved in an accident with a Ukrainian BMW.

I doubt it as there were 200,000 uninsured drivers on the roads in Ireland before the war

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭suvigirl

You hear about Irish begrudgery, but it's got really bad when begrudging people, who through no fault of their own, had their country invaded, their men conscripted, their homelands a war zone, Had to flee because Russia invaded theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭SteM

Would be a drop in the ocean, completely wasted money. Russias economy is completely geared towards war now. Sanctions are not working, they have as much hardware as they require and a ridiculous amount of manpower.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,488 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

We do not need another refugee thread. Particularly one that only exists to post and discuss anecdotes

Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement