Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭siyo

Read an interview with Davy on the 42, he mentioned Shane Bennett having a freak accident during the week. Fairly sure I seen him just after half time with the rest of the lads on the extended panel walking down behind the country end goal, any idea how serious it is and will he be available for tipp?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,384 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Heard he was out in ardkeen after getting a bad hit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

His brother said he had to get surgery on a TV interview after the game. Kind of laughed about it though so can't be too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭decies

I was in middle of new stand and I couldn’t read it , not sure if the sun made it worse or too small . I had to check twitter a few times to see the score .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

well done today lads mighty win , i didn't see it coming but what infuriates me about fitz is , if interchanges his tactics more like he done today he is a fine coach but playing a sweeper for a full game even 5 or ten points down makes no sense

i heard lads talking in dungarvin saturday night that the squad was flying , and why wouldn't they and they being let hurl for the first time all year , every team has a sweeper at times in a game but not all the time , he won an all ireland with clare when he allowed his sides play that open and free like today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Have never been so thrilled to be proven so wrong, that was the performance and result I think we all deep down felt was possible but recent history suggested it just wasn't likely hence the negative predictions before throw in. The lads were fantastic, all put in a great shift especially Barron, Tadgh, Dessie and the two Lyons's.

It's a strange feeling to actually win a meaningful championship game, something we've rarely tasted in the last few years. Badly owed Cork one as well given their dominance over us in that time.

Also great to see (as far as I know anyway) no injuries that could rule anyone out for two weeks time as in years gone by this was exactly the type of game we'd lose a key player or two for the rest of the championship. Onto prepare for Tipp in two weeks time, confidence will be now up and expectations will also be higher. Hopefully Tipp empty the tank next week v Limerick and we're there to take advantage of that six days later. Couldn't ask for it to be better set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

The other very nice thing is knowing that one team's championship hopes will likely be hanging by a thread by the time we puck a ball next. The loser of Cork v Clare at PUC next weekend (if not a draw of course) will be in a very bad spot with 2/2 losses - a situation we found ourselves in many times the last few years.

What's the best set of results for us there? I guess Limerick to take care of Tipp and possibly Clare to beat Cork? That way Cork would be as good as gone knowing they'd still have to face Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Limerick to beat Tipp definitely. There's no greater reward for first place over second place so it's in the interest of every other county for Limerick to keep winning aside from when they play them themselves. You'd also think it would might be harder for Tipp to play a week after losing than winning. But if I was a Tipp fan I think I'd be happy with both results yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Glenomra

Well done to Waterford from a disconsolate Clare supporter. Great to see ye back hurling with the traditional dash, sometimes a bit too extravagant, of previous years. Great for Munster hurling to have all 5 teams competitive and even better to have the two royalties of cork and tipperary struggling to compete. Meanwhile we had limerick well beaten, only to collapse giving them an undeserved win and a great boost. That's hurling I suppose. But we'll done to the Decies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,547 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Saw a post on twitter that yesterday was the first time since 2011 Waterford have won back to back games in the Munster championship. Mental stat

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭dilinja1

NIce to wake up on a monday after a championship Sunday with a huge win on the board. Let's hope we can kick on against Tipp and we get a better turnout from the waterford public. The fact we got over the line and kept the heads when Cork came back at us will hopefully stand to us down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

I actually thought there was a good Waterford crowd considering the talk in the lead up.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭waterfordgirl

So did i to be honest!

If anyone has a spare ticket for Tipp game let me know, i suspect it'll be a little harder to get one this time!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭decies

Thought it was a bit embarrassing to be outnumbered so much by cork lads in our new stadium in our first round of the championship. You can make up a 1000 excuses but the optics were terrible . Had a good seat in section 118 was surrounded by cork I might as well be in cork or limerick in their stands .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

The team set up/tactics and results since Davy came back and the very poor league campaign are the probably the reasons the ‘Fans’ stayed away…..yesterday finally he seems to have abandoned some of the insane 1 man full forward line etc stuff……hopefully it will continue and I’d say very quickly the fans will return….!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 McBurgermacs

Same, I was effectively in a cork section as well.

Massive credit to the team as well, cork got level a few times and I feared the momentum would see us bet. We stood up well to get back ahead.

It would have been better for my nerves if they saw out the last 10-15 a little more comfortably tho

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Gluteus_Maximus

I actually had to walk away from laptop in injury time. The thought of Cork getting a goal was making me sick with nerves

Have to remember Cork lost there first 2 games in 2022 but still got through

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Just like the sun comes out and banishes 6 months of miserable weather, so too does a proper display of skilful, tough, but most important of all, intelligent hurling banish all those dreary miserable performances that went before it. Measured balls in front of the full forward line, mixed up with some great fielding by Kiely and Pendergast in particular. It was born again stuff for the team and especially us fans. One of the great days.

Let’s not get carried away though. Cork had some atrocious misses and their insistence on constant niggle in defence blew up in their faces (and hooray for that) but we still only won by three points in a game where we had near total dominance.

We should enjoy it though! No matter what happens we will at least be in with a shout going to Clare, hard and all as that will be.

The years were rolled back with fabulous performances from Barron, TdB, the two Lyons and Monty playing his best match in a Deise shirt on my opinion. The full back line were also commanding and there wasn’t a substandard performance anywhere.

Special mention must go the TdB, coming back from his third awful injury and looking like he was never away. Also Stephen Bennett was clearly struggling physically from the throw in and got the Aussie treatment throughout from Cahalalane but lasted the match taking a couple of beautiful points and an unstoppable penalty.

Onwards and upwards. We are not hiding in the long grass now though. Let’s hope Davy doesn’t try to “surprise “ Tipp by going back to a sweeper.

Happy Monday everyone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭thesultan

It was free, that's all a flick across trying to get the ball. Referee should have given him the benefit of the doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Any other player yes. Cahalane no. He might think his constant niggle is keeping him just on the right side of the ref but he is a fool if he doesn’t realize they know his form and want to catch him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭thesultan

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Alf Tupper

No way, it was a filthy flick from behind on his hand, typical of him and no accident. He had no hope of getting that ball. Anyone else would have shepherd fitzy out towards the sideline. He's filthy and always has been. Got away with hitting Stephen Bennett off the ball throughout the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Brilliant to see such a good performance .

Was in the uncovered stand across from the main stand. Didn't look like there was any way of moving to a different section. There was two portaloos between 2500 people. There was men urinating against a wall as the queue for the two portaloos was ridiculous. How much has been spent here without basic stuff being done. It's embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

The ladies loo at city end was locked and out of action as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭914

I'd imagine when the Keane's road end is complete and the dressing rooms are relocated, that proper toilets will be built where the current dressing rooms are.

Again the same for the town end, toilets will be built etc

I agree it's not great at present but it's still a work in progress and a far improvement to previous.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

I said here after the teams were named on Friday that I was fearful of this one and unfortunately from a Cork perspective I was right. Congrats to Waterford, fully deserved your win and in truth the 3 point defeat probably flattered us.

I read a few articles and listened to podcasts and I tend to stay away from contributors whose county are involved as we all have our biases. Nearly all of the neutrals suggested that Cork were hard done by with the red card. But I disagree, you could argue that the first yellow was soft, but when you swing your hurley like that when you're already on a yellow you're asking for trouble so I don't think we can complain about the outcome.

Most of the talk here in Cork is that we have too many old-timers, especially having 3 in the forwards so I think we'll see some changes there for next week. But ironically it was Waterfords most experienced players who won the game for them.

A word on TDB, if it wasn't against my own county I'd have been delighted for him especially. Smashing player who this time last year I wasn't so sure would make it back to this level.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Pudz2180

Jesus that winning feeling is nice especially when we haven’t experienced it much in the last few years. Well done to the team and management on yesterday’s uplifting performance. The pressure was on yesterday and to a man they all stood up and delivered. Tadgh makes such a difference to this team especially the full back line with his calming presence, he’s reading of the game is unreal. It was great to see him back and make such an impact, what a man to keep coming back after all the setbacks. Callum Lyons was excellent and monty and darragh who I wasn’t sure if they should be starting had their best games in a Waterford jersey. Jamie looks back to his best and Mickey kiely also had his best game at this level. Something we have been missing badly is a target man in the air. Jack p also excellent under the high ball. Also fair play to dessie for a fella who seemingly never took frees before did brilliantly after a shaky start. Hope the players enjoyed yesterday and last night. We are lucky with the two week break as I think it would have been tough to go again next weekend. Yesterday was great but the job is only half done lose against Tipp and yesterday will be for nothing. Anyway that’s for another day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JD. 60

Here's wishing Shane Bennett a speedy recovery ; will be out for a while, by all accounts. He was showing up well in the league, so it's a big loss. If only Aussie could make a dramatic return to the fold.

Advertisement