Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why are some people not growing up?

• 22-04-2024 10:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I see it quiet a lot, people in their 20s and 30s going to watch cartoons in the cinema meant for children, obsessing over footballers and pop stars children love, making big deals of their birthday, getting tattoos of Disney characters, playing Pokemon, going to comic con etc etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Because being an adult is appalling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭skallywag

At what end of the 'growing up spectrum' would you put someone starting a thread such as this one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Shoog

If the prospects of owning your own home are vanishingly small, and you have decided not to have children as many have, where is the pressure and desire to become like your parents - slogging away for things you will never have.

Many young people simply see no future for themselves and are simply doing the best they can to stay happy.

Its sad but that the way the world has gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

The standard have a go at the OP for starting a thread 🥱, just go to another thread if you have an issue with this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Addmagnet

Shhh …

I see what you are saying but I just don't get how they enjoy watching kids cartoons as adults. I am not someone who is old before my time, or one who wants kids, marriage etc but I find it really bizarre when I see the above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I am putting "going for walks" and "reading books" for your etc's. Is that what you had in mind?

No, other childish hobbies was what I had in mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Thread title should be changed to "Why do people have hobbies I don't like?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Packrat

Because we've created a very easy soft society where they can.

I personally look forward to a massive worldwide shock like an EMP event, famine or total war to sort out the fit from the unfit.

As a species we desperately need it.

I'd be pleasantly surprised if some of the former 'hot pocket' gamers or reality TV celebs turned out to be survival wolves.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

Another aspect to this is that youth have the most disposable income with the highest potential for profit margins. The whole of the commercial industry has a vested interest in keeping people infantalized for as long as possible because that is where the money is. I ask you - as a person with responsibilities - would you consider spending over €200 on a pair of trainers or over a thousand on a phone ? You have more important things to spend money on - like food and a mortgage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Someone with a mortgage is more likely to be able to afford €200 runners than someone paying rent is.

A lot of young people are living at home with their parents.

You regard adults who have an interest in football as 'childish' yet you would not put your own actions down as such?

Even if I was a millionaire, I wouldn't spend 1000 euro on a phone. no need to spend 200 euro on trainers, 80 max usually is ok.

No, I love football myself but im talking about adults who if they saw a famous footballer walking down the street would run over begging for an autograph and behaving the way a child would or would be literally crying if he transferred from their club to another.

Not nearly as many as back in the day on average. The occupancy rate of houses used to be a lot higher. And single person households are a lot more common these days. Society demands more houses for any given number of people these day. Which puts a bigger demand on accommodation provision.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

People do grow up a bit more slowly than they once did. Maybe that's to be embraced, with longer life expectancy, opportunities to stay in education longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

An autograph? Who still asks for autographs?

You're showing your age here. Seems the issue is not with others, the issue is with you and your yelling at clouds!

• Advertisement

How many times have you seen an adult "run over begging for an autograph" or start "crying if he transferred from their club to another".

Be honest.

Have you really encountered this type of carry on quiet a lot? Or is it more something that you perceive to happen, but without any actual real life experience of the same?

Lads running around a field kicking a ball. Some of them don't grow out of it until they are nearly 40.

lads playing football? it is good exercise, that cant be a bad thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Most animated movies have got jokes that go way above the kids heads and can be enjoyed by adults. I watch the Muppets regularly, and even clips I watched as I kid I watch now, and they are obviously aimed at adults, not kids.

I was watching the new Muppet Show recently, and Kermit is trying to start a production meeting.

Kermit: OK everyone, the meeting is starting

Zoot(The older saxophone player): This is a meeting? OK[he stands up] Hi, my name is Zoot and I am an…

Kermit: No Zoot! Not that kind of meeting.

Kids wont get that kind of humour or the reference.

Who Framed Roger Rabbit is very much an adult movie with references to sex, alcoholism, corruption and fraud. Just because it has an animated cartoon character in it, does not mean it's aimed at kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Quags

I find in life that If its not affecting you personally then let them be.

getting a picture so. no, it doesn't bother me but it is just confusing to me. we are talking about things only small children should like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Autographs? Get with the times OP it's selfies now. As mentioned above age seems age is catching up with ya. Old man and clouds comes to mind😁

im not that old and when I was 25, I wasn't in cinemas watching kung fu panda.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

What exactly is growing up? Drinking myself to cirrhosis and a stroke shouting at millionaires kicking a ball around a field? Is it settling down with a partner and having children? Have you seen the cost of doing that, lately?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Yeah, because from the sounds of things you were 25 when they were releasing the original Snow White!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

Have a feeling the OP would have really enjoyed a thread we had here a few year ago about Adult Coloring Books. I remember at least one Boards user getting really worked up about them - and much like the OP thinking they were indicative of people having "arrested development".

The distinction I made at the time and would make again here is that adults doing things that children also do - does not mean the adults are behaving like children or are not developing or growing up. The false assumption in play is that anything children do must be childish and the sole purview of children. The fact however is that adults can often do the same things children do but with different incentives and benefits. An act or pursuit is not childish merely because children also do them.

What would be important in any judgementalism on the matter though is whether the adult in question is doing such things exclusively or as part of their otherwise adult life. "Growing up" often means adopting new incentives, agendas, pursuits and responsibilities into our lives. It does not have to mean getting rid of all of the old ones however. Whether someone is "grown up" or not therefore is dependent on whether they step up to do grown up things when required. If they do - then anything else they also happen to do is irrelevant. The most interesting and wonderful people I know are ones who added to their life as they grew into an adult - not replaced their previous self with a new adult persona.

The OP reminds me of a cranky little old lady who once came up to me in the park when I was rolling around and generally messing around with my kids. She informed me in her haughty and entirely uninvited way that I should not be acting like a child but an adult, because it is my role to by an adult role model and act my age rather than their age so they learn how to grow up.

To hell with that. I can be an adult role model when it is required. I can role around in the mud with my kids in a silly giggling mess of fun when it is required too. The two are not mutually exclusive in the same way as playing Pokemon or watching animations in the cinema is not mutually exclusive with being an adult when called upon to be an adult. I pity whatever childhood she had to grow up with that impression of what a parent needs to be.

As for media - many "cartoons" on TV and movie are written and designed with adults in mind. There are jokes and nuance and innuendo and nostalgia specifically built in for the adult viewer in a way that allows both children and adults to watch them and derive entirely personal experiences from them. Any one who thinks that Toy Story 3 for example was written and produced just for kids is an outright fool.

And as for Comic Con - I ambled along to one last year and got to meet and have a nice long conversation with Sylvester McCoy. That was a joy. Again I am seeing little to suggest such places are for children only. And many "comics" and graphic novels are not written for children or even sometimes Young Adults. They can be very adult themed and quite dark at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,323 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I don't see any issues tbh, people should be able to do what makes them happy and like what they like, they aren't harming anyone else.

I don't personally do any of the things OP listed bar happily going to see animated films in the cinema (robot dreams, the Spiderman ones), I am not talking about sitting in Kung Fu panda 4 with a load of screaming kids, but if that's somebody's thing who cares.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

Instead of this the same individuals should be like the young teens with anti social behaviour on the buses. And milling around outside Tesco.

Or maybe have their own cider parties in the park.

Or go into MacDonald's and one of the gang buys a bag of chips while the rest act up.

These adults are spending money.

And it's not on prostitution or drug.

Have you on ignore for a reason OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,766 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Indeed.

When you think that Orson Welles made Citizen Kane at age 26.

Just think about that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

I work hard, pay my bills on time, look after my family and try to be a good person. If I want to get up early on Saturday morning to watch Scooby Doo before the kids take the big telly that’s my business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,822 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Can i ask OP what do you expect people to be doing ? I'm in my 40's married with kids , i enjoy watching football & even playing 5 a side once a week, What else should i be doing ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

well you aren't doing a good job of ignoring me so. 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

As someone put it.

Realise that, as an adult with money, you can go out and buy a birthday cake anytime you want and then eat it by yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I'm far from being millionaire (very far), but I own a home, a holiday home, 2 nice cars and a yacht, but wouldn't dream of spending €80 on a pair of trainers… €40-€50 MAX…

I guess it's all about perspective…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,159 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Yeah animation can be quite wild at times as it doesn't need special effects/stunt doubles/health and safety and can just crank things to 11 quite easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭victor8600

Being an adult is to realise that you have responsibilities and then to act responsibly. That's it.

If an adult likes a Pokemon game and not playing it because they think it is inappropriate for adults, that has nothing to do with being adult. It is called being brainwashed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I don't know exactly what the OP thinks an adult should be doing, but it seems to involve a lot of watching First Dates Ireland, based on their posting history! 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

People raging about society becoming soft confuse me. Aren't things supposed to get easier for the next generation? Aren't we supposed to make progress? Wanting the young to suffer more reeks of begrudgery. I'm reminded of that type of person who frames everything they do as work and suffering. Being miserable becomes a virtue.

As for the OP, you can make any hobby seem childish if you're reductive enough. It's better to let people enjoy what they enjoy, life's too short to worry about others being judgemental.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I've raised this before and got a lot of older people saying that it's fine since they got theirs.

There's always a sense of projection in these sorts of threads. I'm not sure how an interest in say, Transformers is wrong but screaming racial abuse during a football match is fine.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

going through someone's posting history is creepy and sad in my opinion and your post isnt funny so well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭redoctober

The responses here reek of the usual hypocrisy when it comes to self-expression: everyone can express their opinion except anyone who questions the status quo. I think what the OP is saying is "why are people acting more immaturely than previous generations?" I think it's a valid question. Maturity has a lot to do with taking on responsibility. As you move through life and take on more responsibility you realise how little you had taken on earlier and how self-centred you were and naive too. In the past our parents and grandparents often had to work hard at jobs from a young age and understood the value of that so they appreciated more the things they had worked for. The opposite of this is the entitled spoilt brat who thinks everything should be given to them and right now or if possible, yesterday. I think the latter person doesn't create a better society but actually diminishes it. Wasn't that what HG Wells was getting at in the Time Machine? The ones who just lived for pleasure everyday had lost all deeper knowledge and meaning in life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭Hooked

Ok, I'll bite!

Young people nowadays have decided not to follow the status quo. And even if they did, it's more difficult to.

They've the world in their pocket. Travel, dating sites, the latest apps and they are living life - rather than trying to copy their parents. At 45, I'm one of a small few of my mates that got married later in life (36) and has no kids and no desire to.

We almost get judged (wife and I) for buying what we like, when we like. And we ain't rich. But not having kids (and the expense that comes with them) makes us feel like we are.

Today's 20/30 somethings are not thinking about marriage, retirement, pensions and the long game… they are living in the now. Pints, coke, sex… how can I earn more by doing less. F≈≈k mortgages. F≈≈k car loans, insurance. F≈≈k growing up!

And F≈≈k my health. Today is today. We'll worry about tomorrow, tomorrow…

BUT it has it's pitfalls. And they don't want to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭redoctober

So you've no opinion on things like murder, abuse, racism, war, etc.?

• Advertisement
Advertisement