Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion part 2 , No Purple Jumpers Allowed !!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭biglad40

Loser could be out next week and my patio furniture and bbq still in the shed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,027 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

no both teams will still be alive regardless who wins or loses next week , if cork lose they will have to go the thurles and win followed by a win at home to limerick , if cork win we will have to beat waterford and tipperary to get out of the group , scoring difference is key if teams are a few level at the end which they probably will be

cancel the barbeque its going to be a long summer yet …

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭spurshero

only once has a team who has lost there first 2 games in Munster qualified . So it’s pretty long odds on whoever loses next week is really up against it . They mightn’t be out but they will have to win there last 2 and probaly rely on other results going there way .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Yeah exactly.

O’Donnell in the backs was when I knew we were screwed and in panic.

Taking off Rogers was also odd.

Also surprised Flanagan came on for R.Hayes when the other two in that line were on yellows. I thought Hayes was doing fine. And soon after Hegarty got through for that easy 3rd goal.

Quilligan didn’t come out of it looking too good, but he does have some credit in the bank. Foudy wasn’t even among the subs today , so I doubt we’ll see him brought in. It would be a bit of a risk to start Broderick for such a big game.

And I wonder if Tony Kelly can play a greater role next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭Gael85

Would like to see David Mc at centre back. Could have done with John Conlon presence in the forwards in second half when needed a bit of leadership.

• Advertisement

davey mc was 40 yards away from his man for the 3rd goal and 35 year old john conlon trying to plug the gap , i have huge hope in john conneally to be our next center back if someone is brave enough to pick him next year in the league , lean will be a top class wing or corner back yet , for all donal og cusacks nonsense tonight after highlighting two square balls and having a pop at clare supporters he never opened his mouth about his own county dont buy into the negativity there the future is bright this year included ,

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭farmerval

I thought in the first half Clare's best tactic was isolating McCarthy and O Donnell inside and getting early ball in. Then in the second half Clare lamp the ball as far as their able and completely crowd out the space that they were so effective in for the first half. Limerick are so comfortable defending that long ball how anyone plays t against them amazes me (Note; Tipp probably will try the same thing next week. Liam Cahill seems to love nothing better than 5 passes around the defence then close your eyes and let go)

Clare's half backline appeared to be out to tea in the second half, has no-one told them you could stay back and close off space as a defensive option? You'd really have to wonder about Clare's tactical acumen, particularly obvious against the most tactically aware team probably ever seen.

Will Munster Football Final Venue be a toss of a coin? Great Limerick Run fixed for that day so Gaelic Grounds is unavailable.

talk is toss of a coin , i would happily play in killarney this year ,we should have done last year , we are seeded again next year and will have cleary back and maybe even the fugitive from KIB if the NYPD dont get their hands on him 🤣 if you havent heard that story its a good one 😁

the problem is limerick withdrew men back into the middle 3rd which stopped any runs through midfield , look at the last ten minutes , david fitzgerld and peter duggan are spent , its the 11th round and they are on the ropes and limerick are only getting started ,

we had a tactic of aiming for them all game and withdrawing rodgers , o donnell out for the breaks , again barry nash , o'neill cian lynch were super fast to any breaks and our backs coped well with the delivery's from the limerick half backline up until that five minute spell after the 61st minute , taking off rodgers was stupid , and not bringing on shanagher was also stupid , but the same thing happened in the league final where we had to settle for 2 points every ten minutes for the last 20 minutes in that game too

the real problem is both ryan taylor and kelly are not fully fit yet and we had no one to give us a bit of direction , probing runs through the middle and separate that limerick wall in the half back line , taylor is only a few weeks away kelly will feature a little more promantly and the world wont look so flat next week regardless of the result , 4 points from a possible 6 is the target now

• Advertisement

KS? Haven't heard anything. Will be Malone be back next year? I see O'Dea and Lillis togged for New York last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Astartes

Absolute banger of a game on the cards next week

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭KIB4Life

Yeah Keelan, supposed to be a piss take, but not something you want going about whether true or not. Actually Keelan’s grandmother passed away this morning as well.

jamie is in dubai teaching , i think pearse is back next year , after his exploits in NY he plans on going on a 6 month holiday before returning home or at least that was his plan going out ,

if you happen to be in the Brooklyn area of new york at the moment , apparently every lamppost subway station has his face on it from some burn your bra femminast bar maid that he got pregnant and now not happy about it , i need to find the exact twitter page but it had 11 million views last friday and about 2000 components underneath , most to the tune of , he ugly gurl or you got to looose that zero and get yourself a hero , apparently no one knows where he has gone

the kilmurry ibrickane lads are furious that no one over in new york knows who he is as they taught he was a house hold name world wide 🙄

it appears to been deleted anyway but it was looking bad for him 😂

yeah it was a load of rubbish , but the comments were funny ,

sorry to hear about her , he had huge time for both grandparents ,his grandfather could be slightly controversial at times 😂 and a funny man

no fear of the man he will be back this year for ye and for clare next year , i am not sure if he is related to young burke on the minor team but the two of them will make some forward line in a few years time

….

bring it on , and waterford in ennis two weeks later , the championship only begins now !!

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Glenomra

Don't like admitting it but while I don't think clare were trying to embarass limerick we did get over excited too early. Our supporters thought that the introduction of Tony Kelly was putting the seal on our victory but all our cheering did, was motivate limerick.

Some detail. Thanks. But if we have a six foot plus wing forward who will kit put his hand up to contest a puck out what choice is there but yo puck it down on peter Duggan. Now if shanagher had been introduced at wing forward but we bring in another small player in Shane meehan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Tony Kelly should be put in goal to bring abit of confidence to the team. That Quilligan is a disaster and Foudy before him. Youre going no where without a goalie. I was chatting to my father today. The man was at 11 or 12 losing under 21 finals and suffered all of the losses from 1965 onwards. Missed no games of note. He said yesterday was among the worst losses given the position they were in and the blame lies with the players and not lohan this time. A capitulation. I find it hard to say this but Clare lack abit of game smarts ,onfield intelligence and cuteness. Lohan is poor to make a switch ingame ..too slow to throw a man on or takes off the wrong man. Mark my words Alan Connolly will go to town on Cleary on Sunday. We ll reignite Corks summer like we've lit up Limericks. A terrible 2024 for Clare.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

i have to say this summary which is a popular theme from clare supporters since yesterday is way off the mark , everyone building up yesterday as an important game , why ? we beat limerick last April and we all taught we were the **** , when it mattered we failed only to blame a referee for us losing

limerick are the best team in munster and in the country by a considerable distance ,

lets start with the keeper situation , it is a well known fact that foudy has the best puck out by a mile in the county and what quilligan done yesterday was no worse then the tipp game last year fair enough

conor cleary ? what did he do wrong , his man scored 1-0 from play and i dont think he gave away any scorable free , he slipped for o dalaighs goal who was supposed to be marked by adam hogan , i get the feeling that there wouldnt be as much criticism of the man had he no been from miltown malbay , maybe i am wrong

i dont see or hear any criticism aimed at david reidy who was dreadful yesterday , not just from you but in general

lohans calls on the line were also dreadful raking off rodgers leaving reidy on and brining on meehan was a serious bad call

but the hard fact is , this was a far faster far more higher standard and much tougher game then what we will get from here on out , walsh park is a small pitch , the amount of space offered up by both teams yesterday was poles apart form the game in ennis , what ever good aaron connolly looked like against that waterford defence yesterday he wont get the same space next week

the time to beat limerick is when it matters , and it will only happen with a fit tony kelly and better decisions on the sideline

the reality is on other years , usually waterford in particular struggled in the group stage and lost most of there games meaning that it was usually 4 teams fighting for 3 positions , that has changed this year , waterford have improved by the looks of it and do look like they will win again , i think its going to be a case of a number of teams on 4 points at the end of the group with limerick unbeaten on 8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Reidy was awful. It's a disgrace he missed that goal chance in the first half. He never performs against Limerick.

The goalie should be gone. End of story. Get Broderick on. That's why he's sub goalie.It's his time. Foudy will feel rightly aggrieved if the sauce for the Goose isn't the same as the sauce for the Gander.

Cleary was partly at fault for the long range goal. Backing in ontop of the keeper. You keep Gillane away from the keeper with strength and the butt of the hurley if your not going to go for the catch which Cleary never does. It's rule 101 . Let's be honest and I ll be brutally honest. Cleary doesn't have the hurling ,simple as that. He got caught rotten twice by TJ 2 years ago .. He gets caught too often. Where he's from doesn't matter. Clancy was another West Clare fella who had no hurling but by God he was effective and could catch a ball. Cleary actually gets a get out of jail card because he's from the Badlands . He would be dropped if he was from Sixmilebridge...but we'd never let a fella up through our underage with as little hurling as him

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

i am sorry but that is nonsense , cleary is there to do a job keep his man to score as little as possible which he dose , the same as malone , cork have loads of lovely hurlers in their back line but ironically they concede much more then us generally its one of the main areas of concern every year with them

as for the goal , the parallelogram is the keepers , its his call , he should have attacked the ball full stop

i would also be slow in brining in broadrick , he has only played one or two games in the league and has no experience whatsoever

i generally dont get the mad anger people have from yesterday , there was more made of this game then the league final , which was important for this to get a few monkeys off the back , this game yesterday was the first round of the munster championship and everyone saying it was the worst result in clare hurling history ect is nonsense , what happened last year against tipperary was far worse then yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭supernova5

if its Conor Clancy you are referring to he is from Kilmaley, mid Clare, and a major hurling heartland

The 'mad anger' is because we were 8 points up and the game in its concluding stage. We had introduced, possibly ourall time great, Tony Kelly to a rapturous welcome to see the victory accomplished. Supporters were actually euphoric as we were about to beat our greatest rivals, the winners of 5 of the last 6 all Irelands. This was dreamland stuff. Then we collapsed, quite simply collapsed and allowed a mediocre Limerick team an unexpected and undeserved victory. Mad anger is an opposite of euphoria. I have been watching Clare play Munster championship since we beat a highly fancied Limerick team in Cusack Park in 1972, a game marked by several 'schemozzles'. In my experience last Sunday's defeat was disastrous, arguably the worst of my lifetime.

Mediocre Limerick team? The worst defeat in your lifetime, this is exactly the type of hyperbolic stuff that for years follows up Clare hurling defeats

1 , Limerick got a huge break, when there was 6 points in the game with ten minutes to go

2 our greatest hurler of all time is only back from injury and hasn't pucked a ball all year

3 anyone that has been following hurling over the last 10 years should know by now that a 10 point lead with 25 or 30 minutes to go is as useful as a one point lead

4 it was the 21st of April not the middle of July people in this county got far too carried away with this fixture in the lead up to the game

• Interesting post.

Not sure Limerick could be categorised as mediocre. Don’t think the stats would agree.

On the topic of your greatest hurler, surely S'OD is a better player overall. He's good in the air, extremely skillful, great feet and delivers in Croke Park. TK is a great ball striker no doubt and always scores a hatfull against Limerick as we don't assign a man-marker to him. But as Mikey Butler has shown, once marked, he can be very anonymous.

Certainly if there was 1 Clare player I'd have to pick for our mediocre team, it would be S'OD all day long

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭High bike

100% agree sod is a one off can do it all unmarkable on his day

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Advertisement