Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Good to see Niall O'Donnell and Caolan McColgan back. And a good spread of scorers again. Hopefully nothing serious for Ryan and Paddy.

Hard to know how much we will have learned from this campaign but good to get promoted, good to be unbeaten and good to get some new faces in and see some more experienced heads back.

Any time we have played in Division 2 Finals in the past, Jim has taken them pretty seriously. Although, more time before Championship then.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,224 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Any manager would want to keep a winning sequence going, especially with championship just around the corner, and we are not so high and mighty to turn our noses up a Div 2 trophy. On the other hand we have Derry 3 weeks afterwards, still a fair number out from injury and two more picking up injuries in what was a dead rubber yesterday. Armagh are in a much better position in that going into next weeks final, even if the pick up a few knocks, it would still be difficult not to see them making the Ulster Final from their from their group.

Personally I would be happy to see league trophies just given to the top team where nowadays there are so many championship games coming thick and fast on top of each other. Whatever Jim decides to do next week I`m not going to knock it one way or the other. He has certainly brought on lads, and we now have a much greater number of scorers that need watching. I still have doubts about our defense, but I look on it as a work in practice and no better man to fine tune it than Jim.

The extra game would help by having some of those younger lads playing in Croke Park in a winner takes all game as well as maybe getting game time into some of the walking wounded. Good to see O`Donnell and McColgan back and both looking sharp and hopefully the two injuries yesterday were not too serious. I have knocked Ryan in the past, more for where he was being played rather than for his abilities, but he has been very good this year and the bit of a break looks to have re-energised him.

From the 1-15, not sure Caulfield will start. Assume either McMenamin or MacCeallbhui (or both) will come in.

Good to see Jason McGee among the subs.

Feels like we are missing too many to get the win today. Hope we give it a go and no more injuries. And when they start the usual fight, we don't get too involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Superb resilience today. Thought that they had thrown it away. Have to say that the defence put in a great shift. The softness of old gone I hope. Great scores in the end. Some poor shot selection at times shooting with right on right side and visa versa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭overshoot

agreed, we look much better defensively and the improvement in the tackle is massive.

Hopefully we get the few injuries clear up in time for Derry. Not sure we are at Derrys level but would always back jim to have a plan, going to be a hell of a game

Watching the Derry-Dublin game I'd say were one or two years away from that level. If we can keep it tight until the last 15 you never know.

When you look at the 15 on the field at the end, what a win. Ciaran Moore, what an addition.

Derry though, it will be a massive proposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭dog_pig

The Uachtarán seemed a wee bit disappointed that Armagh lost when he was presenting the cup.

Well folks, 2 requests re tickets for Saturday

I have a seat but would happily swap for standing if anyone interested

And, if anyone has any ticket to sell, I know if someone looking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

I would also take 3 tickets, if anyone has the ear of someone important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

from McDanger on the other thread

Assuming that the remaining provincial matches proceed according to
    the bookies' odds, this is roughly what the seeding will look like:

1st seeds:
    Derry
    Dublin
    Kerry
    Galway

2nd seeds:
    Armagh
    Louth
    Clare
    Mayo

3rd seeds:
    Tyrone
    Donegal
    Roscommon
    Monaghan

4th seeds:
    Meath
    Cavan
    Cork
    Westmeath

If defeated at the weekend, Donegal will not be in a group with Derry, so one of the Kerry, Dublin or Galway. They could be in with Armagh or Mayo, but also a 50/50 chance of Louth or Clare which would be less intimidating. Then one of the 4th seeds, I'd expect Donegal to beat any of them easily, except perhaps Cork might rise their game.

So a preliminary quarter final is pretty much guaranteed, then it depends on who you draw. If Donegal ended up with Galway, Clare and Westmeath then they could top the round robin and go straight into the QFs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,486 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Nothing to stop any Seed 3 and 4 being drawn with Derry. If Derry finish up as a Seed 1 or 2. Like last year it could be a group with 3 from Ulster. Derry, Clare, Monaghan and Donegal. Derry had already beaten Monaghan at the Semi Final stage in Ulster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

No EBG or McColgan in the 26.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

I have a feeling we may see some changes between now and throw-in.

J McGee and B McCole for the 2 Dohertys

Hopefully McColgan for McGuinness in the subs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

Looking forward to the game, also looking forward to the Derry v Tyrone semi final next sunday in Armagh I assume. It actually takes me longer to get to Celtic Park than it does to the Athletic grounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 708 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

can't see it, it'll be Derry v Cavan i think. more than likley played Omagh

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭dog_pig

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

Comical performance. I just had to sit back and laugh near the end. Does winning an All Ireland even mean as much if you aren't Ulster champions? Mickey Harte would know.

Been a long time since I enjoyed a game as much as that one. Derry might yet go further than we will, but no 3 in a row for them anyway.

Mighty Donegal support. Great to see it.

The Kinnegar tasting extra good tonight. Not the perfect performance but so much to be happy with.

Up Donegal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭overshoot

properly surprised lynch was never moved from his position for our kickouts. Expected McGuinness to have a trick or 2 for the game but once exploited you’d think Harte would have sat him deeper at least. Seen clerkins/times headline of “lynch embarrassed” but for me it’s absolute management there, he stood where he was told second half. How do you not half that talk half time?

Was the difference in the game in the end. Don’t think Harte will be too worried of a few weeks off though. His focus wasn’t Ulster. We had that intensity of tackle, defence, counter that you’d expect from a McGuinness team… see how all goes now next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Murphy14

Brilliant performance & result on Saturday evening back to Celtic Park to face the old enemy.. Hard to judge were Tyrone are at… hopefully no injury concerns on our side.

When you see the efforts year after year Harte has put into winning the McKenna Cup and Derry`s quick collection of the Division One League trophy to head to the dressing rooms and home for me made the three in a row Ulster title very much a focus for him and Derry.

That would have them 1st seeded team, whereas now they are on the backroad of qualifiers needing to change their tactics or face the risk of another side shreeding them as we did at the weekend. It`s not where Harte or Derry wanted to be after the first round of the championship. They are still good enough to make the final stages, but after sweeping all before them this year, Saturday will have done there confidence no good.

We put a lot of energy into beating Derry and Tyrone being mindful of that seemed to take their foot off the gas against Cavan and ended up expending as much if not more energy than we did and with a day less to prepare. We will go in as the bookies favourites, but this is championship and as Saturday showed means nothing. Baring injuries I would see it as a 50/50 game that we should hopefully edge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭sob1467

Donegal Tyrone confirmed for Celtic Park in Derry again on Sunday at 2pm. Would Clones not have made more sense? A lot of us couldn't get tickets for last Saturday and will probably be in the same boat next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

any word on Eoin Ban? And what’s the story with Conor o Donnell this year? He gone travelling?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 708 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

Have a stand adult and juvenile for Sunday's game to sell for face value if anyone looking. Send me a PM today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭Jizique

Can't see Jim being impressed with that level of dedication

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭sob1467

There are a few available here: https://www.ticketmaster.ie/ulster-senior-football-championship-semi-final-donegal-v-tyrone-derry-28-04-2024/event/3800609692FD0B49

• Advertisement

No surprises in the team named, although not sure Paddy will start?

No McColgan anywhere.

Hope no complacency after last weekend. Hard to see it given the history and McGuinness. But if it's in supporters it can seep into team. At least the short turnaround and so many other matches means less time for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 FreeChocco

Whatever happened to Conor O Donnell from last year? Has he been injured or does he not get into the team anymore

Poorest first half of football by Donegal this year. Tyrone have their number so far. McBrearty not at the races. So much poor decision making. Not looking good. McGuinness needs to work his magic now. We never play well with a wet ball.

Hugely improved second half. Thought O'Donnell played really well and McGee with the two points. Energy levels are incredible. Roll on Ulster final.

Well that was some game.

Thought we were done for more than once. But opposition did not have the energy or courage to put us out of our misery.

Back in the days of the 1st McGuinness era, few, if any, teams could kick some of the frees that were kicked against us today. Those frees, coupled with our poor shooting/decision making (under a lot of defensive pressure in fairness) was the difference. And facing a keeper who could kick the ball as well as Patten can. 1, 3, 4 and 6 on the other side were the outstanding players, but, overall we had strong contributions all over the pitch. Although before he kicked that point in extra time Paddy's value was in doubt. Gallen was very well marked.

But the way we hung in there and finished the stronger was excellent. In many ways, it was the perfect way to win. Plenty to work on and will dampen down some of the loose talk after the Derry game.

Ulster Final is a 50/50 game on the pitch. Had to laugh when Michael Murphy said Armagh were 10 years into their project and Donegal are 10 minutes (or months) into theirs. Says it all about what's on the sideline.

Up Donegal

I got a good laugh from Michael Murphy`s 10 years versus 10 months but I doubt Kieran McGeeney did.

As I said earlier in the week little or noyhing should have been talen from the Derry game as regards this one. I thought we were gone a few times. Epecially 2nd half when we brought it back from 3 down to go level for them then to go three up again. At that stage I could only see a goal saving us, but luckly Jim McGuinness is the manager and not me, and the team really showed great calm, skill, awareness and no shotage of guts not to panic and reel them in.

Some good scores and a good spread of scores, but some terrible wides. We need to sharpen up in that area. 3 dropped short by my count which were cardinal sins in McGuinness`s last reign. Especially with their keeper, and like Patton, what he can do in situations like that. Like last week we had free moved foeward to scoreable areas due to mouthing at the ref. Not only are they stupid they can be disheartening to the rest of the team. I don`t like criticising a player, especially after the shift they all put in today, but in extra time Paddy McBrearty kicked a scoreable wide from a free that to me was a kick for a right footed player. In fairness he later made up for it big time, so perhaps as captain he believed with the pressure at the time he should take the responsibility.

The real joy for me with this game, (and I could not give a rat`s arse if neutrals didn`t find it entertaining), is that we are not a one trick pony team and management that some were suggesting we were after the Derry game. We were in a totally different game today under serious pressure at times and both thought and fought our way to win. Especially after half time by the players themselves on the pitch. It`s a long time since we have done that.

Yeah, could not understand why Paddy took that free unless Oisin turned it down (hopefully not injured....).

In fairness to Paddy, he's not a confidence player. Whatever has gone before the final shot seems to be irrelevant.

oisin gone off at that stage. It started as a right footers free but by the time paddy was finished moving it it was in front of the posts😀. Still didn’t fancy it. Fair play to the lads they dug deep today and gradually wore them down. I didn’t see us winning it until extra time when I thought we’d have the legs on them as Tyrone seemed to be able to pick off scores much easier than us. In fairness that Hampsey black card last week was worth a few scores to us. In a game like today’s we’d need the likes of Thompson and langan kicking a couple of points from distance but that’s easier said than done under pressure. Anyway great win and the fact it was such a war of attrition should calm the hype a bit as well

someone told me he was in Australia? He would add a lot. Fine player. Eoin Bans pace would be a big help if Armagh go with the same tactics

• Advertisement

Aye, just seeing now Oisin went off. I wasn't there and BBC weren't great at showing the subs but there was a lot of it going on. Maybe I remember him coming off but the tension was too much for me!

Now that you mention it I saw Oisin walking close behind Jim leaving the pithch start of the 2nd period of extra time, but thought nothing more off it seeing as the commentators made no mention of him gone. I was criticising Paddy in the wrong so, but it might be an idea to have someone else right footed to kick frees Thompson is a lefty, but Langan perhaps.

Bit like royalty where even when they have an heir they like to have a spare. 😎

That was a vital win in the evolution of this team. The Derry game was vindication of Jim’s decision to return. This vindicates the players asking Jim back.
    Too often this group of players have been brittle when the heat came on. Yesterday they showed the resilience you associate with a McGuinness team.
    It was far from perfect. We were ill disciplined in our shot selection and with greater composure and patience we could have won the game earlier. For the first fifty minutes our transition was laboured. Once we injected pace into the game we created opportunities.
    This should quell some of the nonsense spoken last week. We are far from the finished article but we are on an upward trajectory.
    You can see the individual improvements in players. Defensively we have shape and structure. Players know their roles and are displaying a trust in those around them.
    McGonagle is now a key player for us. His strength and athleticism are being utilised in his new role. Jason is becoming the player we believed he could be. Ryan is rejuvenated.
    The attack still has room for improvement. Individually they are very talented but their decision making was poor at times yesterday.
    They will learn more from this than they did from the Derry game.
    A word of credit for Cawley too. I haven’t always been impressed by him but I thought he had a very good game yesterday.

You mean the ref? You must be joking.

I wasn`t impressed with him yesterday. I thought he gave some very easy frees to Tyrone that caused a lot of frustration for our lads, But that is no excuse for us making them more scoreable by back chatting to the ref and them being moved forward. For the foul on Gallen in the last few minutes before we equalised he must have been the only person watching that game that missed it, and it`s not as if he was in a poor position to not see it. He also played the advantage rule on a Tyrone free which went on for a lot longer than 5 seconds before calling it back after Tyrone had played on and kicked wide.

What you are saying is his decision making was better than the Donegal forwards 😉

Any ref will get a few calls wrong over 90 minutes in an intense game. He was pretty consistent in his calls and kept the game moving, something that suited us.

• Advertisement

If he was holding his arm up for the legth of time that Tyrone played on to kick that wide before he called it back for the free the lack of blood going up to his hand must have affected his decision making because it was well past 5 seconds.😎 For the foul on Gallen even the Tyrone players looked as if they Couldn`t understand why it wasn`t given.

I don`t think our decision making was that bad. It was more to do with our shooting in the first half where we didn`t want to get caught in posession by Tyrone`s packed defense. That left us with no options other that take on their defense after that. With Tyrone getting in a few interceptions inside the 21 that were as much to do with good luck as good guidance and the ball ending up with a player that wasn`t a shooter for points rather than goals we looked much more likely to score a goal or two than they did.

So two major decisions you feel he got wrong. I would add the advantage he called over when Daire O'Baoill shot wide in extra time. There have been times in games where you could call three mistakes made in a minute by a ref. It's a tough job they do. I would certainly feel that he performed above the level some of the high profile Ulster refs have shown in recent times.

With regards to our forwards the number of wides, and balls dropped short, is reflective of taking on shots when it was the wrong option. A number of our attempts were clearly not playing the percentages and gifted possession back to Tyrone. We were swinging a leg at it from distance and hoping for the best. As the game developed we started to break down the Tyrone defence with better movement and more pace and were popping over scores from much closer to goal. I would expect us to be more clinical against Armagh.

I do appreciate it is a tough job. I did a bit of it myself in days gone bye at club level and I don`t believe I was being over harsh on him. Every ref has his/her own style as to what they let go and what they don`t. County seniors should know what that is, but the long 5 seconds on the Tryone free and the foul on Gallen was very clear cut and could very easily have cost us the game.

I felt in the first half that a lot of the shots from distance were to from instuctions to draw the Tyrone defense out from sitting deep, as well as a bit of a fear of losing possesion and Tyrone countering. Either way some of those misses at that level were poor, but for me dropping 3 by my count short in the first half was much worse. Espcially with Morgan in goal. At least with a wide you have a chance to reset. Agree that when we went with movement and pace that is what won it for use. Hopefully against Armagh our conversion rate improves, and from looking at them against Down they did not look comfortable when Down ran at them. If Down had of kept doing it rather than trying to defend a lead and run down the clock, it could easily be them rather than Armagh we are meeting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭henke

Winning Ulster is massive with the way the AI draw has panned out. We cannot avoid a repeat of one of Tyrone/Derry but certainly the Ulster winner route looks less daunting where they should win 2 from 3 and face a likely battle for top with Tyrone.

The Ulster runner-up route on the other hand is a lot harder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

anyone mention where EBG is, was he the fella on the stag someone said, or is he injured?

Anyone else to come back in?

• Advertisement
Advertisement