Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut Megathread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

No but get calls from "revolut" for a charge press 1 to get a refund at least once per week.

Revolut basically do not have customer care as said by numerous people above.

What worse each time you contact them the case bounces to a new agent that starts all over again to get to know case it's non functional "support". Each time I've contacted them it's resulted in me giving up and opening formal complaints. AI chat bots have more intelligence than that lot and I wouldn't be surprised if it is AI with goal of making people give up and close cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,284 ✭✭✭markpb

Revolut - yes.
    Revolut’s customer care - absolutely not.

See my post eight above this one.

FWIW there’s a generation who much prefer web chat to phone calls and Revolut definitely ain’t themselves at that generation. However Revolut’s implementation of web chat is awful and it’s not a technology problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

AIB and PTSB are just as bad, except sometimes they tell you to call into a branch where they also won't be able to fix problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,717 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Perceived poor customer service? Their customer service is abysmal. If you are in any sort of emergency you're screwed. Set up a proper Irish call centre and have a telephone line where you can speak to a real person and then it can move from actual poor service to a possible perception...

Having said that, I'm a big fan of the Revolut service itself and I also do find it odd when people talk about "Revolut scams" when it's just a scam same as any other bank scam...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭bren2001

I am that generation. When it comes to banking, while I hate phone calls, dealing with a person on the phone is better.

Of course, if they drastically improved their chat, I'd consider switching fully. Until they fix their customer service, they'll never be my main bank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

I think I would be like most people; Revolut is grand for small amounts, but for anything somewhat large, say >€100, I wouldn't be going near it.

They also really need to clamp down on the top-ups via card and Apple Pay, massive fraud potential through them both but that's a wider issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,717 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

What's the fraud potential of topping up with apple pay or card?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

There was a few investigations done by the WSJ, basically all around the PIN of smart devices, being able to use that PIN to get into smart devices etc. People having their phones stolen, top ups done via revolut, money sent off never to be seen again. Not Revolut’s fault really, just a convenient crack in digital banking.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭timetogo1

Same. Having dealt with Revolut support / N26 support and Open24 support only the latter actually dealt with me as a human.

Revolut gave me their scripted answers for the issue I had with them. Took weeks to resolve.

N26 couldn't help at all and I can't open an account with them.

Open24 is actually people. They investigated the issue I had at the time and returned phone calls. Took a couple of days but I didn't feel like it was going into a black hole.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

So it seems it's a toss up between a Neobank with great tech but no personal help or a legacy bank with a call centre but **** tech.

Lovely.

Cant see Revolut opening a call centre, maybe as a percentage of their customers it's only very small who have an issue although it must be putting off some people from becoming their main bank?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,895 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

As someone who used to work in Revolut (not CS related role), I use them for their convenience, but never leave more than I would be not bothered if I lost, as an account balance.

They are so dodgy, treading a fine line with the regulator.

Having seen being the smokescreen, I know it's all monitoring and automation written by overworked and underpaid coders who would be better off elsewhere. The only ones who stay there a long time are those who drank the kool-aid. I know the guy featured in the article and he's a kool-aid drinker.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

One of the selling points is top up by card or Apple Pay. If they got rid of that, they lose practically all their convenience

They would become pretty much useless to me

• Subscribers Posts: 16,580 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I read that business post article also, dreamworld stuff from revolut. I actually needed a 20k loan in last month, tried their ‘easy loan’ process. Refused loan, no reason given. Same loan approved by both credit union and boi in less than a day.

I love revolut for day to day. but they’ve locked by money up 5 times now in as many years, non existent customer service, good basic tech but very ropey around anything ‘intelligent’ ‘ai’ etc. I’d never pay my salary in to them, pay DD bills from them, or leave a high balance for more than a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

For the folks complaining about Revolut customer service versus other banks, it's worth remembering that the brick and mortar banks charge considerably more for their services

I'm willing to bet that 90% of Revolut customers are on the free plan or the cheapest paid plan which is something like €4 per month

Whereas the cheapest Irish banks charge €6 for the most basic services and often lump transaction fees on top

My point is that you get what you pay for to a large degree. Noticeably the higher plans get priority customer support and Ultra gets callback phone support

I agree with others that customer service in branches has become truly abysmal lately. The branches are now glorified ATM shops with at most one teller

Funnily enough, my best in branch experience was always with KBC. Yeah they didn't have "real" branches and a lot of the time when you asked them to do something, they just requested head office to do it. But they actually helped get it done rather than just fobbing you off to someone else

In general, my experiences with phone support have been good for UB and PTSB, don't know about the others

It would be good if Revolut started including fraud insurance in their paid plans and extended the phone support (for whatever use it is)

I think people need to be aware of the risks associated with any bank and behave accordingly

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Withdrawing a large enough State Savings account into Revolut.

Anyone ever had any issues with it? The 'statement' State Savings gave me is very basic in-case Revolut ask for proof of course of funds.

Your data was probably not liked by the loan algorithm. Remember in Revolut no human is making a decision, and the staff can't even override one if they wanted, so if computer says no, its computer says no. When I worked there I couldnt get a loan. When I left and worked somewhere else, I took out a loan at revolut because the interest rate was the lowest compared to others!

How many folks only bank at Revolut though. I know many that use revolut for their day to day spending (like me) but would never close their AIB, BOI etc, and they get paid into that normal bank. People don't trust challenger banks, people don't trust online only banks, and Revolut is both.

The challenge for revolut is to not only acquire customers, but acquire profitable ones. The ones that only use free banking actually lose them money. This is why they and their auditors have to fiddle their accounts to make them look profitable and they still don't have a UK banking licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭bren2001

My point wasn't to complain for complainings sake. I think Revolut offer a great service. I've yoyo'd around a few of their plans.

However, Revoluts support is very bad. For that reason, they would never become my main bank. I would never get my wages paid into them for example. I can go to a PTSB branch or call Open24 if I am locked out of my account. There are countless (extreme) examples on Reddit of people being locked out of their account for weeks/months on Revolut.

I've had minor issues with Revolut and PTSB. I gave up with Revolut and just let the money go. With PTSB, I've never had to call Open24 more than twice.

Ive closed all my legacy accounts with the exception of mortgage (I wish!) and credit card, I left that with BOI so I still have somewhere to lodge a cheque of I ever get one.

Salary and DDs are all with Revolut.

On a side note is the only totally free free legacy place left ESB, **** tech but at least bricks and mortar?

As I said, I worked there, I see the data, there are folks (like you) who are willing to do that. I'm not saying it's zero. But before, during, and after working there I was not willing to move solely to revolut.

They want the users to move salary to Revolut, as it gives more data, and more monetizing opportunities

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭torrevieja

Has anybody heard or know of people who have had money withdrawls from their revolut accounts that they havent sanctioned

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭crinkley

I had to do a source of funds which included the help to buy from revenue - it was beyond basic and thought no way it could pass and how long would it take me to get something more official from revenue - no they accepted the screenshots of the online letter from revenue

there are people on legacy accounts in PTSB (inc me) who don’t pay any fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭wassie

We have an AIB current accounts that basically gets used to receive salary, 2 direct debits and then transfers out. I pay generally between €11-12 in fees every quarter, so no more than €4/month. The key is to minimise transactions in this account.

Most of our daily spend is then on AIB c/c that has cashback which also covers the stamp duty.

Use Revolut mainly for the security of online purchases using virtual cards - the disposable card for single transactions and setup others for recurring payments. I setup a card for each individual subscription. Its a great way to ensure that when you cancel a sub that no further payments can be 'accidentally' taken. Also handy payments for buying off Adverts & Donedeal when meeting in person so I dont need cash.

I've gone back to using N26 for all overseas transactions (including Amazon) because of Revoluts free account exchange limit of €1000 and additional exchange costs on weekends.

If I need to top up N26, I first topup Revolut by AIB card instantly. Then can do a transfer Revolut —> N26, again instantly, avoiding any fees.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,580 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

yeah, I’m assuming they ignore what you say your take home pay is and actually look at incoming, ignoring say deductions pre this, savings schemes, loans paid from salary etc. so they don’t get an actual picture. It’s a quite a big hole in their algorithm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭Sono

I am a long term revolut account holder and would echo what others have said about holding large amounts of cash in it, just wouldn't feel comfortable with it especially given the poor customer service. It is great for going away for a few days for FX or paying people for different things but generally it is transfer in and used within a few days or transferred to someone else straight away.

I too hold an irish bank account purely for salary purposes, N26 is my main account and use their 2.8% savings account which I find excellent and interest is paid monthly, only thing is DIRT is not deducted at source but you can manage it yourself at the end of year and pay the revenue. I find N26 very reliable and have never had any issues where I could not access funds, had a couple of minor issues with revolut down through the years but overall I would be a fan and find it very good for what I need it for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

• Advertisement

Well you didn't actually, legacy ptsb accounts are not an option currently available to people.

Anyway...

Advertisement