Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why wont die hard GAA fans admit football these days is muck?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭Jizique

Not much wrong with Derry v Donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭megadodge

Wait for Brendan on a Bender to come back with the repetitive drunken rant about all the handpasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,180 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Delighted to see the Derry goalkeeper caught out 3 times 😂 its about time this fade of the outfield goalkeeper was targeted. will it stop him coming out I wonder. There is no need for the goalkeeper to be playing out the field but the consequences of getting caught up the field are serious and not worth the risk in my opinion.

Watching Roscommon v Mayo 🤦‍♂️ it is more like Rugby these days, rubbish, turning it off now after only a couple of minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

football is muck.

Everyone knows it.

left wing, backwards to goalie, to the right wing , handpass, handpass, to the corner, backwards again, To the middle , back to the left , a one two, shoooot! No, handpass backwards to the middle, to the right again, shoot , wide

short kickout

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Piskin

It's the blanket defence that is the main problem. It has destroyed the game!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,399 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Plenty of clipboard merchants who think the way football is played these days is an entertaining experience.

Hopefully Jim Gavin and his panel can rescue the game from the depts.

Urgent action needed Not an entertaining spectacle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭shockframe

3 enjoyable games yesterday.

Watchable game in roscommon

Epic game in ulster today.

Not bad going.

your view of watchable is very different to mine. This is the first year where I have zero interest in Gaelic football, I wont even watch the all Ireland final this year.

I think I will go watch a hurling semi final in Croke park this year instead of a Football semi and I was never even at a hurling match before.

Imagine a ball going in to a forward where he is only marked by 3 defenders

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,745 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Derry v Donegal was a great watch.

Cavan v Tyrone was a great watch too.

Maybe Ulster is where the excitement is at?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Supposed to be four steps before kicking or bouncing the ball… seven or eight when he caught the ball and five or six subsequently

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭flasher0030

What are you talking about. Been a great weekend of GAA football. Saw the Derry Donegal game. Was at Mayo v Roscommon. Entertaining match. Cavan Tyrone game yesterday was some entertainment. Galway Sligo game on a knife-edge to the final whistle.

Zero interest just this year. On a thread you started over 12 months ago.

And zero interest but you were watching Mayo Roscommon yesterday😁

12 months ago I would watch maybe 10% of games, now I have no interest in watching any gaelic football game.

I watched around 1 minute of Roscommon V mayo, no exaggeration there, 1 minute, that was enough for me.

Hopefully Ja and the lads will take the game out of the hands of the clipboard crowd and rescue it.

Time is running out I fear, it’s staring people in the face but they won’t admit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭randd1

Football is a damn fine sport, and a thrilling watch when both sides simply go for it.

But far too often goes into boring lulls based on keep ball. Yes, possession gives you a better chance of creating space getting a score, which is why teams do it, but it is a boring watch. For every Dublin/Derry league final, there's 5 games that would bore paint as it's drying. Even in some games, you'd have 20 minutes of quality football, 50 minutes of slow fare, but the 20 minutes would mask the poor stuff.

I don't know what you can do to liven it up a bit, but whatever it is, base it around forcing teams to attack more. The more teams go for it in football, the less focus on possession, the more focus on taking on the man and beating him, the better the game of football. It can be an outstanding watch at times when teams simply play a natural attacking game, the likes of the Derry/Dublin league final stands up to and surpasses a lot of great hurling games of recent times.

How you get teams to attack more, I simply don't know (though I reckon a designated forwards approach could work), but the sport is fine in terms of the basics, it just needs a prod into unleashing itself.

Correct and right, excellent post with a very good synopsis of what's not entertaining about a lot of football .

I would have faith in Jim Gavin and the new President to have the vision to see that Gaelic football is in need

of a boost and take the steps to remedy a game, which, left to fester and languish in the swamps of

turgidity will surely descend into non events in the future.

The signs are all there…… they need to wrest the control of the game from the clipboard merchants and make it

a spectacle worth watching and attending.

maybe force teams to keep 6 men in the opposition half at all times

But would the teams keep the 6 men just inside the opposition half?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭rrs

Down v Armagh has awful so far. 2 pts to 1 with 25 minutes played

• Registered Users Posts: 23,507 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

They need to bring in a shot clock or a rule like Ice Hockey once the ball crosses the 65 and or 45 it can't be brought back out over it by the attacking team.

Teams have to be forced to actually shoot.

The clipboard statisticians have seriously damaged the game… even the commentators mentioned the crowd on their phones .

Come in Jim… the game needs you.

Gonna be lost in the GaaGo controversy and the Limerick Cork excitement but one of the first few years in a while that the 4 Provincial football finals were entertaining in their own right.

Been a good championship so far.

An enjoyable under 20 final today.

Anyone counting the handpassing?!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 King Power Fox

Football is a simple game. First pass in a move can be with the hand. Every subsequent pass with the foot. No going backwards into your own half. Forwards have to stay in their own half of the field. Force long kicking with lots of 1 on 1 competition all over the field. Risk of losing possession is too great. Its horrible to see teams like Donegal retreating on mass. Jim McGuinness is the ultimate pragmatist. Low risk football with very good players.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭flasher0030

You obviously have not been watching Donegal this year. If they continue the progress that they have shown so far, they may be the only team to give Dublin/Kerry a challenge. The football they have played and the scores they got are a delight to witness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

• Registered Users Posts: 41 King Power Fox

Fair enough how would you make football more attractive. Players have never been more skillful or fitter. Football can be a great game - how do you reward progressive teams. If two teams sit back and rely on breaking in numbers on a turnover I think it turns into a pass the parcel spectacle. A few top teams can just about carry it off but division 3 and 4 teams at it!

• Advertisement

Jim Gavin and a group are having a look at football with a view to improving it as a game.

I'm hoping they come up with some innovations which liven up the game.

Advertisement