Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why are some people not growing up?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Shoog

I think every indication is that this generation have managed to avoid the sort of hard man/women attitude which was so emotionally crippling to my generation and my parent generation. The sort of damages which saw toxic masculinity and alcoholism as the norm rather than the exception. The current generation of young people have some of the lowest drink and drug consumption rates ever seen in this country.

I think their doing fine - and if we could only work out a way of getting them affordable housing they would be doing even better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

That is exactly what I was asking, im not judging these people, im just fascinated by them, I cant get my head around the fact they enjoy things designed for children. what is next playing with toy soldiers at age 40? ok if that is what they want but the reason I started the thread was because im interested in the topic, if someone told me they loved cartoons meant for toddlers I wouldn't judge them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Quags

Of course, but the thread is "Why are some people not growing up?" not what you mentioned so I gave my opinion on this topic 👍️

I wonder were the Ukrainians in a similar situation and how are them people doing now fighting a war?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

It seems that they have stepped up to the plate and done what is necessary. Starting out in life as an emotional cripple certainly isn't going to enhance your ability as a soldier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Gary_dunne

It's completely different and I think you know that it is.

We're talking about a grown man getting annoyed and complaining about other adults for liking cartoons or wanting a photo with a footballer they like.

im not in the least bit annoyed by them doing those things. Don't put words in my mouth.

Have they? maybe the fled the Country the minute it started. or do you know if the cartoon watching crowd stayed by choice and fought in the war?

• Advertisement

I've worked consistently since the age of 14 (local shop), I'm now 31 and I still love football, enjoy some animation films and shows (not one's like Peppa Pig that are 100% designed for children) but the likes of Into The Spiderverse etc. This one will really annoy the OP but I still love watching WWE. What has any of that got to do with me not "growing up"?

I've rented for nearly a decade, obtained a degree as a mature student, live with my partner now, in the process of mortgage approval, can run a household and have plenty of responsibility. Does me liking WWE or some animation mean that I'm not a grown up?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Why not do your own research? What has Ukraine to do with the thread topic?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,275 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Is it that people grow up more slowly, or that people in the "olden days" stopped growing earlier in life?

Back in the day, the average person's lifestyle and routine was probably fixed from 25 (or earlier) until they died.

It kind of does, I think the younger generation are a bit soft, and wonder how they would react to life getting harder, like a war. that is why I mentioned Ukraine.

How have you managed to bring a Russian invasion into Ukraine into your own thread about Adults enjoying things that you think should only be for children? 🤦‍♂️

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

How are they soft? That sounds like a lazy generalisation to me and nothing more.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,252 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

In general I think they are, a someone said our parents were out doing adult jobs at 14, a 14 year old these days would be doing well to be able to make themselves a sandwich.

There are lots of people aged around 22 these days that never even had a summer job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭eggy81

I’d say a lot of them would choke us auld lads out on the floor no problem. They’re fitter, stronger and more into looking after themselves on average than us in our 40s were once junior c football became too hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

So just because you don't enjoy them, means others shouldn't watch them?

I don't enjoy football but doesn't mean I think people shouldn't watch it.

Look growing up & being an adult is hard! There is nothing wrong with enjoying some of the more simple things in life. I colour as a hobby. Not fancy, intricate stuff but basic pictures that are quick & easy & yes, probably childish. But it makes dealing with some of the not so great stresses in life a little easier. And simple cartoons too - yet to meet someone who doesn't like Bluey after watching it.

There's also a thing where people essentially do age regression because they are dealing with a trauma in life so some interests regress to a safer time for them - for most when they were a child. Or that due to trauma as a child, they missed some essential parts of childhood & are now, as adults with means, reliving those missed areas.

At the end of the day, if it isn't hurting anyone, what's the problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

Actually playing with "toy soldiers" in your 40s is far from unheard of. Have a quick google of "Warhammer" the game for example - or next time you are in Dublin have a browse around Forbidden Planet or the shop which is also called "Warhammer" on Lower Liffey Street. And I myself recently had a wonderful time building a rather complex model warship and painting it. Very Zen and Mindful and stimulating and challenging.

Again I think where you are falling over yourself - and the user who was bothered by Adult Coloring Books on another thread - is the assumption of as you just put it above "Designed for Children". They aren't. They are things designed for adults that parallel in many ways things designed for children.

Kids play Soccer. So do adults. The adults are not playing a game "designed for children". They are playing an adult game for adults that is the equivalent of the children's game for children. There are coloring books designed for children. There are also coloring books designed for adults. The latter is not magically a "childish activity" solely because the former do it too.

And many things are designed to be enjoyed by both but in different ways. Again if you go watch Toy Story 3 or - random example - cartoons like Johnny Bravo - you very quickly see that the product is nuanced and aspects of it are targeted at children and other aspects targeted at adults. Anyone who watched either of these things and comes away thinking it was just made for children - has deeply fooled themselves. When Johnny Bravo makes a sexual innuendo joke about blindfolds - it is quite the stretch to assume this was targeted at pre teen children.

The computer game industry too is massive if you look at the turnovers and figures. And it is far from children only pushing those values.

At the end of the day I think you appear to be operating under a different notion of what "Growing up" means or requires. I can't be sure of course because you have not defined what you think "Growing up" entails or requires. But judging solely on what you have written in the thread so far - you appear to have very different notions of it than I would have.

But as another user pointed out - if growing up entails for example sitting for hours on end watching Reality Dating shows or Soap operas - you can keep it. I think I would personally find more depth, nuance, art, character philosophy, maturity and stimulation in an Anime cartoon like "My Neighbour Totoro" or "The Boy and Heron" than I imagine you will ever find in "First Dates Ireland" or Eastenders or "Operation Transformation".

• Advertisement

So, nothing but lazy generalisations.

I've seen way too many old racists whine and moan when they see someone from a different background to believe the myth that young people are soft.

Surely it's a good thing that 14 year old children are not being made go out and get full time adult jobs and they get to enjoy their childhood.

I'd be encouraging my children to look for a Summer job at 16 or 17 so they can have some of their own money and some financial independence but not at 14, let them enjoy their Summer's off. This is coming from someone who had an after school job from 14.

Our parents were heroic in what they achieved but stunted individuals.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,252 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

are there enough casual jobs for 15 year olds to work at during the summer? what happens during the summer when all those 50k or 60k students go looking for work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,852 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I know members of the older generation and the fella's can't do washing or cook a simple meal and the women can't do a simple bit of DIY/painting.

If we're going to go down that line.

stunted how?

what about the generation now, a lot of them are afraid to talk on the phone, or look someone in the eyes while talking to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

This thread kinda of reminds me of asking my younger by-a-decade sister-in-law about my nephew, general oldies chit-chat after the bit about how his job was working out, I asked if he had a girlfriend, she replied the dating scene is so different nowadays you wouldn't understand it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

And I have met some 40 year olds who can barely change a light bulb or a fuse. There are people who are absolutely lost when it comes to changing a tyre on their car. I have stopped on the road quite a few times to help people do this. And contrary to stereotypes it was not predominantly women.

As kowloon says though - a motivation we often work under is to make things "easier" for our children in many ways than it was for us. As GaryDunne says above it's a better world if our kids can enjoy their childhood longer before they need to be made go out and earn a wage.

But where I would drift a little away from Kowloon's post above is to suggest - even a little - that the opposite of "easier" is "suffering" and "misery". I think there are many aspects of life we can and absolutely should make easier for our children. But some hardship, adversity, and pursuits that are difficult for no other reason than they are difficult, are not to be sneezed at. These things are not suffering and misery just because they are not easy.

Losing is not easy for example. But it is not suffering and misery either. Yet for whatever reasons I personally have yet to fathom - my kids (10m, 13f) keep having "participation medals" pushed on them every time they compete and do not win. They refuse them for a few reasons - mostly their own reasons and not because of me. And actually when they told me their reasons they were reasonably astute and thought out. I was quite impressed for their age at some of the reasoning and was even surprised at one of the reasons.

But on more than one occasion they got berated or trouble for refusing them. And by "refusing" I do not mean making a scene or a big point of refusing. They simply did not bother to go collect them or take them when offered. And when I got into discussions with the organizers I was told the medals were because they did not want any kids who lost to go away empty handed because it might make them sad. Oh the horror. Sadness. Oh the humanity.

This is not the kind of "easier" I think we need much focus on myself. YMMV :)

But to pgj's point above I guess it entirely depends on the 14 year olds in question. Maybe some 14 year olds can not make a sandwich. I have not met them. My daughter has made a mean ham cheese chilli toastie since she was 6 :) But if such 14 year old's exist I wonder if it is because the parents have this other idea of "easier" that I myself do not share.

My own daugther at 13 - having recently acquired a bully at school who is focusing on her a bit in an attempt to make her miserable (which is amusing to her for a few reasons) - and having noticed the bully reminded her of a bully in a book we read a couple of years ago - has started a project with some of her friends. They are taking piles of old discarded bikes. Striping them down into parts which they are individually cleaning and oiling and restoring - and then building entirely new bikes out of the workable and salvageable part. These bikes they will donate to children in need. But the best of the bikes she plans to give to her bully.

Yet I have a cousin in his 40s who comes to me to change his flat bike tyre when he gets one because he has not the first notion of how to do it. These 13 year old girls could school him on a few things I reckon.

I stopped caring about the dating thing a long time ago. Apps are just soul-sucking abominations IME. I'd quite happily be single for the rest of my days.

• Advertisement

A lot of them choose not to use the phone, which is fine.

The worst people I know for their phones are older people. Like, no consideration or self-awareness at all.

Not really, when it is part of their job to talk on the phone.

I think a lot of them cant do it, they do something where they have all calls sent to their voicemail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,567 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Yep, this is pretty much it.

Adulthood is being "postponed" for a lot of people and they're making do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

I'm nearly 33, single and a home owner. I still read comics but in general I tend to read pretty broadly. I do sometimes watch animated movies such as Studio Ghibli and Spiderverse. Both are critically acclaimed cinematically speaking and Ghibli is as artistic as any Fellini or Scorcese movie.

None of the above makes me "soft" or immature. Also I'd say ignorance plays a part if you're getting upset about what movies people are seeing in the cinema. 😂

The only thing I find a bit annoying about youngish people is that they seem incapable of talking to anyone but their friends or immediate family. I put this down to the parochial nature of Irish society more than anything else. The famed grageriousness of the Irish is a bit of a myth and the reality is that most are very insular looking.

Once again I am not upset about what they watch.

• Advertisement

I still watch studio Ghibli, and manga in general, and I am in my 50s. Art is a better description than anything and both the Japanese and French fully understand the distinction.

My daughter complains I deprived her of Disney as a child (totally untrue) because we always watched Ghibli.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Irish society has decided to make it incredibly expensive and risky to raise a family. Also, society is selfish. So, people are not having children. So, they never grow up. It's a vicious circle. Who the **** wants to have kids to be slaves for the **** show created by the previous generations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭CWMMC

Why cant people enjoy themselves? Does it have any affect on your life?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

So he looks down on me building Lego sets and watching the Muppets but he's an avid First Dates fan?

OK, well I'll not be losing any sleep over his opinion of me any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Sort of a fascist viewpoint though isnt it? The 'unfit' need sorting out.

If it was meant tongue in cheek I will counter saying what we need is a Golgafrincham event. But it really didn't come across as tongue in cheek tbh.

It is just a QUESTION, like a lot of threads on boards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Fair enough, so would you say it's immature for someone to go to a studio Ghibli movie or a Spiderverse movie?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Eclectic Econometrics

Firstly, kids are back at the coalface - https://www.thenation.com/article/economy/child-labor-industrial-capitalism/

Secondly, humans are very adaptable. Everyone thinks they are person who will survive a zombie apocalypse. It is always people who cannot run a mile without having a heart attack who think they have a better chance than the naive kids. Those kids are in their absolute prime and filled with testosterone. They're the ones who will be eating your fat ass when the tin goods run out.

It's comical how every older generation looks down on the next. I remember how we were talked about when we were young. That said, it was nowhere near as bad as today. The last ten years have been a bombardment of this type of rhetoric, non-stop "in my day" crap. The Gen Z, X etc. garbage is so pervasive that I have genuinely started to make a concise effort not to engage in it, lest I sound like everyone else that does, a right c***.

Studio Ghibli movies are works of art (even though I've only seen a few)

You wouldn't say someone who is watching Hollyoaks, for example, is being childish, not sure how you could square that with saying someone watching a studio Ghibli movie is childish.

People got old quickly back in the 70s and 80s too. Maybe it was partly to do with the economic state the country was in, they were less able to pander to their extra curricular interests?

• Advertisement
Advertisement