Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

David Pecker was present at a meeting with TFG and Cohen where this plan was hatched. Pecker is the first prosecution witness today. It's an election interference case, not a "hush money" case. Cohen lied to Congress about this, and went to prison. TFG has lied identically about it, and if he lies again in court, it should be easy to convict

• Registered Users Posts: 33,607 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Trump's lawyers in his civil fraud case have agreed to the AG's demands regarding the bond. So another stay of execution in terms of seizing his assets.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/trumps-attorneys-argue-acceptance-175m-bond-civil-fraud/story?id=109475776

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

If Trump were to take the stand and dispute the things which Cohen has already been jailed for, would that be an automatic charge of lying in court and the judge has to send him down for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I had a read off of this guy's wikipedia page. No mention of him moving back to Australia (where he's originally from) nor his spinal condition. Both must have happened relatively recently. Interesting that…

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Trump…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,705 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Anyone heading to the fancy dinner to see Donalds favourite speaker tonight ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Whatever you say about Nancy, at least she was able to keep her conference together. A skill that's eluded the Republicans completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,415 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Time to see if the judge has some balls...

• Registered Users Posts: 82,420 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

he also complained about the heavy police presence (just days after someone lit themselves on fire) and the dearth of MAGA protestors present at the courthouse - why do there need to be fewer cops for MAGA protestors to show up, Don? 🤔 Could it be the majority leftovers of his support are still out wanted for January 6 crimes or do you just not have much diehard support left? Or maybe he doesn’t assume his base have jobs 😆

https://www.mediaite.com/trump/trump-melts-down-over-lack-of-supporters-protesting-his-new-york-trial/

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

Could have been a potentially good networking event for someone who is a running a successful business.

Of course it depends on what your business actually does and if it has any potential outside of its current existence to determine if it would be worth your while attending or not.

• Advertisement

Klepper's coverage of the trial scene last week and his commentary this afternoon on it

The hearing today should be interesting...

• Registered Users Posts: 60,555 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I just want the judge to take the great scene from Porky’s and ask Stormy which is Donald’s tallywhacker and have a tallywhacker line up.

NSFW clip from Porkys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

ladies and gentlemen of this jury this oaf read this placard then bluffed his way through a live television broadcast a few minutes later saying maybe we should shove sunlight up peoples butt and inject them with bleach

”OBJECTION! Your honor my client clearly said inject them with disinfectant, not bleach” a distinction without a difference your honor. “Overruled”

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

One of the key issues comes down to the fact that Trump is a mean , miserly git (who doesn't actually have anything like the money he claims).

There are various violations of accounting/reporting practices etc. that are the crimes that he is being charged for , but fundamentally it all comes do to the fact that he was trying to hide the payment as a business expense through he company so HE wouldn't have to pay for it personally.

A supposed "Billionaire" couldn't just give the ~$130k cash to her privately from his own funds (directly or indirectly) - No he had to try an hide them as a business expense so he could write it off and save the money.

His skinflint meanness is what has him here , followed by his innate corruption and apparent inability to do even the most basic things legally.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

It's not that simple. If he had given her the money from his own funds then that's a taxable benefit in kind. He'd have to declare it. I'm not sure what the rules are in America but certainly here if you want to give large sums of cash, as a gift, to a stranger then tax needs to be paid on that.

In short there's no legal way to give her that money without declaring it in one way or other.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Could've hired her to work in an office and paid her directly, normally, through the business. Or as special assistant for mushroom cultivation. Whatever. Perhaps Cohen's or Pecker's testimony will clear up how they came up with their ludicrous scheme.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

As others have said , he could have "hired" her for something and paid her that way - I mean Melania got paid $250k+ for "designing the table arrangements" at a Trump political event so there are any amount of bullsh!t things he could have hidden the payment behind.

But he wanted to keep it quiet AND he didn't want to have to pay it himself so he took company money and lied about its purpose. Because his first instinct is to see if he can find a way to get someone else to foot the bill for him.

And even if he had just written her a cheque and paid the BIK taxes etc. , proving that the payment was "election interference" would have been infinitely harder than proving the "illegal payment" stuff that he's facing now..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

A supposed "Billionaire" couldn't just give the ~$130k cash to her privately from his own funds (directly or indirectly) - No he had to try an hide them as a business expense so he could write it off and save the money.

Thats exactly it. There's a line from Frasier of all things, and the lawyer is shouting into the phone "Any idiot knows you pay a hooker in cash!".

By trying to not pay for it himself, he has created a paper trail which amounts to tax fraud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 TotesRandomer

World domination. Seriously. Soon he'll be leader of the biggest nuclear power on Earth and with a cult-like following he can do whatever the f0ck he likes.

Jack Smith filing reveals he has a witness, Person 16, who will testify Walt Nauta was promised a pardon in a 2nd Trump term if he lied to the FBI on the classified docs case

https://www.mediaite.com/news/witness-in-bombshell-new-trump-filing-says-trump-offered-pardon-to-co-defendant-in-2024-even-for-lying-to-fbi/

Exactly - He could have put it down as a "gambling loss" on his personal tax returns and said he'd "put it all on black" and lost..

I mean he's a high roller right???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

If he was married with a couple of kids, living in a two-up two-down, and didn't want the wife seeing the charge on the joint account to Stringfellows, so he used his corporate credit card, he would be fired. Many people have made that mistake in the past.

I really doubt he and Melania have a joint account. Or that she reviews his accounts in general.

Trump dealt with the problem the way he dealt with all his problems...

Bribe, threaten, cheat on his taxes.

His first thought when faced with any kind of bill is "How can I get away without paying this?" followed closely by "How can I get someone else to pay this?"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Hoop66

So, he's an insurance company?

Anyway, looks like he and his "best people" attorneys are digging themselves a massive hole in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,006 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I really doubt he and Melania have a joint account. Or that she reviews his accounts in general

I imagine at this stage Melania is being forced against her will to stay married to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Rawr

I suspect not as much «married against her will» but more «married until the point she’s exhausted any financial benefit for herself or Barron».

Trump has a pretty bad track record staying successfully married to the Easter European trophy wives he tends to go for, and I doubt Melania is any different. I fully suspect that the whole Stormy relevation was not news to her and that her tears when Trump won in 2016 were those of dispair. She could eventually slip away from a wannabe alt-right media mogul, but as First Lady she knew she had to endure 4 to 8 years more of him.

There is no love there, and I somewhat suspect there never really was any. Now Melania has to be paid off with oddly high «Table Arragement» fees or «stylist» fees. I suspect this is all just to keep her to agree to stayibg around.

She’s very likely going to leave him, and that’s likely on the day when he loses all his cash and refuses to pay her anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,288 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/23/nyregion/trump-trial-hush-money-prison.html?utm_source=sfmc&utm_medium=nypr-email&utm_campaign=Newsletter+-+Early+Addition+-+20240423&utm_term=how+they%26amp%3b%23x27%3bd+protect+Donald+Trump+if+he+gets+sent+to+Rikers+Island&utm_id=326263&sfmc_id=82405340&utm_content=2024423&nypr_member=Unknown

Interesting piece here about possibilities should trump face jail time

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement