Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why are some people not growing up?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Gary_dunne

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,250 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Anyway, I started this thread last year. Seems kinda apt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

49 here and still enjoy SpongeBob sometimes. Growing up is different for everybody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

I will be 47 next week and I'm delighted to still be 'immature' by many standards. I love jokes and messing and being honest, the day I start acting my age will be the day that I'm ready to check out.

There are way too many serious people around, who take everything so seriously and expect everyone and everything to be serious. It's like they feel the whole world is watching and they must act their part. They are about as much fun as ironing your nutsack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

It's something that annoys me a little.

A person of an age expects a stranger to have a conversation with them.

On a bus for example somebody sits next to you. You share Hello's, a small bit of small talk and make the odd question about a nice restaurant in the area.

However just because your lonely or can't sit in silence. They think the other person is the problem for not keeping them entertained.

*This isn't aimed at you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Have you ever seen a Studio Ghibli movie? Eg I watched Spirited Away recently and the amount of metaphors in it would go over a lot of adults heads, let alone children. The art and score is superb etc. I think it's a bit naive to discount animation just because you associate it with children. Plenty of animated material will continue to be viewed as art, centuries from now. The fact you don't understand it doesn't make the people who appreciate it immature.

Some people are just more open to enjoying life than other's it seems who have to like what some people deem suitable for different age demographics.

Cartoons = Bad

Soaps = Proper high brow "grown up" entertainment

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Each to their own in life, at 41 I would be considered a big child but I dont care what anyone thinks, I'm happy and thats all that matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,268 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

That kind of proves the point that some people don't grow up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,566 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Mmmmm…I've noticed this as well with a lot of the younger end of the Millennials and Gen Z'ers (if I can use those annoying terms). An awful lot of them are incapable of holding a conversation unless it's either about them or it's something they have a deep interest in. Coupled with that their attention span seems to be miniscule.

Now, obviously this isn't every single person in those generation brackets. But it's been an easy observation to make.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭89897

Come on, it might be meant as a question but its one loaded with judgment. You could have asked something along the lines of "adults who watch cartoon movies, what do you enjoy about them?" if it was the case of you being genuinely curious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Soaps = Proper high brow "grown up" entertainment

Think I'll never grow up in that case haha, hated them 35 years ago and hate them today too.

As you say some peeps are more open to enjoy life their own way.

I still do that and if anyone think I'm not grown up..well it's theirs own problem imo. I'm fine with my own way of living, think that's all what matters.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

This seems unfair.

What's the topic? Last time I went home, all anyone wanted to talk about was motor vehicles and English soccer. I know very little about either so I see no reason why I'd bother discussing either with anyone.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Packrat

Maybe if you did actually try to make polite conversation or ask a question you'd learn something about either which would broaden your mind and leave you in a better place to chat to the next person you meet who you feel is beneath you.

I've 0 interest in soccer but I've a peripheral knowledge of whats going on in that world because it's important to many people.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

See below

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

Possibly... I don't really consider myself a fascist, but it's a kinda topical dogwhistle to use on anyone you don't agree with and suspect to be older/wealthier/more square than you these days. That or 'boomer', and I'm not one of those either.

In fact I don't really hold that view, it's more of a daydream.

But, yes, an easier society allows people to avoid responsibility and be a child for longer. Whether that's a good thing or not is down to personal opinion.

What you and the OP are classifying as childish is art that invariably isn't made solely for children. My father is in his mid 80s, he literally kept his childhood meccano and rebuilt it a few years back, is he childish because of that too? This amounts to the OP complaining about interests that other people have that he doesn't have any familiarity with by the sounds of things.

It's nothing to do with the "softening" of people. "Maybe if you did actually try to make polite conversation or ask a question you'd learn something about cinema which would broaden your mind and leave you in a better place to chat to the next person you meet who you feel is beneath you." is plenty applicable to both you and the OP. 😂

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'm not interested in countering points I never made, particularly when they're made by someone who wants suffering and misery but only for other people.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Shoog

I always politely say I don't watch soccer and see if they want to carry on. Always interested to talk to anyone if they can get over this hurdle.

• Advertisement

Soccer is a lowest common denominator conversation starter, the problem is some people don't see it that way and cannot get past the gentle rebuttal. I respect their use of it as a conversation opener.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Such nonsense, is not being the adult the same for everyone, and only comprise of a few shared tenents?

• Self-responsibility: for yourself, your actions, your promises, actual responsibilities like a job, bills, cleaning. Kids if you have them
    • Emotional intelligence: How to exist with your fellow person with empathy and kindness. Patience and understanding, as well as a strong sense of self-awareness.

I think if you have the above nailed down then you're a decent person, and that's really all that is expected. Anything else after that is just opinion.

Really the OP fails at the last point very strongly, showing very little empathy and broader understanding that their viewpoint of the world is not how the world should be. Then not just that but the OP idea of an "adult" is childlike and puerile in its naivety.

What we all just sit around thinking about mortgage rates and current affairs.

Grow up OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I really do find myself bemused at the "kids these days have it easy" brigade.

1st off, isn't that what we want for our kids? To have it better than we did? That our graft can make their own lives a little easier? I know that for my lad, who's 20 now. I wouldn't wish my childhood on him.

As for the whys for some people not growing up? I know a couple of people my age who's childhoods were forestalled, a range of circumstances but common amongst them?

Being the eldest in big families, or just being unlucky enough to be poor during their childhoods. Now? They've done the hardwork of raising their families, and are embracing the things, toys and hobbies they never had in their adolescence.

Be it rediscovering transformer toys or travelling to football matches, they are enjoying moments long postponed and for the most case, hard earned. For me it's watches, for a good friend it's Manga. I reckon it makes us interesting 🤨

Similarly for those 20 & 30 something's still living at home. The cost to move out has rarely been higher. I know in my own case, whilst I did leave home at 17, it was to emigrate because, well it was the mid 90's and despite the current crop thinking emigration is new? It really isn't.

I enjoyed my time abroad, it went well enough for me to both look after a couple of brothers sent after me and to come home ready to at least catch a taste of the tiger.

Still, rather than keep rambling on in my dotage,I'll leave it at this 😉 since Socrates, it's always the younger, weaker, softer generation…

Same as it ever was🤷‍♂️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

ok, say you are 35, on a date and you start talking about the last film you saw in the cinema, would you really say Butterfly tale and expect a second date?

or would you be showing off your finding nemo tattoo to your girlfriends mother and father the first time you meet them? 😂

The thing is, that would just translate to people not being suited for each other. I'm 33, been on lots of dates with women that love the likes of Into The Spiderverse and Studio Ghibli. Equally plenty out there that still love Disney films etc. If anything, it sounds like you're a bit out of touch and have labeled something as childish as a result.

I love cinema btw so have watched a lot that most haven't. But women or men of all ages being fans of the likes of early Pixar or Miyazaki is pretty common.

Lol, - the ironing is delicious.

It seems there's a lot of topics and people who you aren't interested in discussing anything with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I wasn't trying to say any kind of challenge at all is suffering, more pointing out that there are some miserable people out there who like to frame everything they do as suffering and want everyone after them to suffer as much. Everyone knows one, they'd be the type who had to walk barefoot in the snow to get to school where they'd be beaten with a metre stick (but it did them no harm). For these people, the opposite of easy is suffering. Overcoming adversity isn't as important as being miserable in the process. I reckon everyone knows at least one of these types.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,159 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Be much more mature to talk about favourite "First Date" episodes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,266 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The cinema is for children. Do you sit there stuffing your face with a big bag of childish popcorn and kiddie fizzy drinks?

Grow up and start doing what real adults do, going to the theatre and drinking expensive red wine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

And it has to be proper adult wine, not children's wine like Lambrusco.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

"making big deals of their birthday"

What's wrong with celebrating your birthday?

• Advertisement

At least that show is for adults, not children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,159 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Adults?

I suppose it caters to some but its more entertainment for tweens a la Love Island and other reality shows rather than an actual R-Rated adult only production. But its good to know where your adult standard is set.

In fairness, plenty of animated films are intended for all ages and some aren't possible to fully appreciate until you're much older. It's a little bit telling of your own maturity that you are largely unwilling to have a discussion...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭nachouser

Old man shakes fist at stuff saved to the cloud.

Ideas unbound by physics - such is animation. The very cutting edge of the imagination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Birthdays are for kids...

To properly celebrate as an adult, without the OPs scorn...

Just relabel them as a chronological personal best, or annual high score 😁😉

OP if you like First Dates and enjoy it, happy days for you. If someone was to ask me the demographic the show was made for I wouldn't say "Grown Ups," the reality tv element and overall nature of it is designed for the teenage demographic.

Does you enjoying it make me think you haven't "grown up" because I feel you enjoy a tv show with a largely teenage audience? Of course it doesn't.

This is why so many are asking why are you being so judgemental, despite saying you're "just asking a question" you're consistently using words like childish or suggesting people should be embarrassed telling people that they saw an animated film in the cinema.

Stop shouting at the clouds because you don't like what others like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

They are known as 'soy boys', the feminisation of men is thought to be caused by estrogen in drinking water. The majority of men on Reddit are soy boys and they hate us blackpilled Incels even though they are often incel themselves. I am actually a bit of a soy boy myself but I am different to them as I am blackpilled rather than bluepilled. I am probably low T, not a high T alpha.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starterpacks/comments/7t6vbt/soy_boy_starterpack/

Fantastic gibberish. Maybe I was wrong about the youth of today ....

Master of the Universe

You heard it here folks, the reason I watch Studio Ghibli films and still play videogames as an adult is due to the esteogen in my drinking water.

Thanks for clearing that up, King of the Incels.

• Advertisement

Teenagers don't watch tv, they watch netflix, amazon prime etc not RTE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33 Bielsa2020

Do you support/follow the same team you did as a child? If they’re not you’re local team, I find that childish that you follow a club you have zero connection to

Master of the Universe

So is 'growing up' watching RTE then?

The most grown up people watch The Late Late Show?

A lot of triggered people on here today. 😂

Your whole life seems to be been a triggered person.

Oh no, that poster prides themself over being an incel. So they're legit. 🤔

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Why should only small children like them. What is wrong with enjoying music, or games or even cartoons. Why do you get to define that the audience is exclusively for children. The writers certainly didnt write them to be exclusively enjoyable to children.

You dont get them, fine. I'm fifty, i've a couple of kids and mortgage yadda yadda. I enjoy having fun and to me that means music, sports and even the odd board game.

Advertisement