Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First date guy being unreasonable?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭reclose

Block!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭HamSarris

If your long-term goal is a meaningful relationship then dating multiple guys at once is unlikely to be effective. Guys pick up on a casual approach to dating and the only guys happy to be one of your options will be men with no self-respect who you won’t be attracted to anyways.

The guy in question sounded emotionally immature. But an emotionally mature man looking for a relationship will also walk away. Men don’t take things seriously when dating a woman who is keeping an eye out for something better.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,137 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I didn't say to get the Guards involved immediately, but I'd definitely keep all communications involving this dude as it could escalate very quickly. I still feel the op should cut all ties and put it behind her.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

indeed- why “court” what looks like trouble - we’d be equally criticised if we said “nah I’m sure he’s grand”- the fact is none of us knows but we’ve enough cop on to know there’s a few “issues” there that indicate this may not turn out to be the healthiest of relationships - and after just one date, albeit quite a long date (nearly 24 hours??? What were they doing?🤪) - it’s probably best to heed one’s instinct and move on

there’s a significant difference between lining up a few dates to see how things go and “dating” multiple partners at the same time.

I think it’s generally accepted that people on dating sites will probably keep looking until they have found someone that they’re interested in getting to know - if you’ve lined up a few dates then fine- relax and take stock of your experiences in a few weeks and decide whom you might like to meet again - it’s hardly “dating multiple guys at once”

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Mod 
    Please bear in mind that PI is an advice forum, not a discussion forum, and posts should contain advice for the OP.

Thanks
    Hilda

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭mykrodot

I'd say its the length of the first date that has muddied the water here, I mean 24 hours is not just having a coffee and a chat! It's not even a quick shag. Plenty of talking must have also taken place. As a woman I guess I could only do that if I was really into someone, otherwise I'd be out the door fairly pronto. So some emotions were involved here and that is why OP is questioning this, and probably also why her date also reacted! I am very careful who I take things further with and its never quickly, its usually after meeting at least 3/4 times. That's because emotional attachment builds very quickly and can cloud perception of what someone is really like, if you wait until after a few meetings you have a better idea.

There could have been expectations on his part depending on what was discussed during this 24 hour date and subsequent texts/calls. And maybe in hindsight OP is considering seeing him again and giving him a 2nd chance. Don't.

This whole story reminds me of the most emotionally abusive relationship I was ever in, starting quickly with red flags which I ignored. I was constantly blamed for everything, which made me question myself. I always felt I could fix him, that I had done something wrong to upset him. He would declare his love then within an hour start telling me I was looking at other men. It was horrendous. Thankfully after 3 years I had the strength to leave him, God knows how as my confidence was on the floor. All the signs were in the OP's post. How quickly the mood changes, phone calls at 2am, messages all night long. Run and don't look back and also block his number. Like someone else said this guy sounds like he has stalker potential.

Post edited by mykrodot on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Hooked

First off… I'd be asking if the timing of his call and the instant question was coincidence… Seriously. Think about that.

Second. The fact you are on here asking for advice and didn't have that initial gut reaction to run for the hills is a sign that he must have been really REALLY 'good' on THAT date! I'm male, but in your shoes, I'd be thinking… chalk it up to a great sh@g, and on to the next date. No one needs someone that insecure (or possibly dangerous) in their life!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭BobMc

Red Flag, Run dont walk away

• Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Firstly he seen you on a date or someone he knows seen you no way the call came at that time by accident,

Secondly you meet him once ,so a normal person would still be there "best self " , Yes they would be themselves on a date but they would also be very aware of trying to hide there flaws,we are all human we have them ,Way too early for that carry on ,

I hate the saying but massive red flag to act like that after one date, You'd be trying to play it cool after one date, imagine how bad that oculd get down the line ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

That is way too much emotional overhead after 1 date, to the point that you're worried about him knowing where you work and coming on Boards for an independent opinion.

I can feel sorry for him: meeting someone he liked, spent a nice day with, and then see them dating someone else soon afterwards. It hurts, of course it would.

But if he has a condition, then it is on him to manage it. It shouldn't be your problem already to work around it.

If you want, send one final message in whatever medium & wording you're comfortable with, to say you had enjoyed meeting him, it was a lovely date but the pair of you hadn't agreed on exclusivity at the time, and that the follow-up messages were too much after one date, and for those reasons you wish him all the best and you're sorry, but you don't wish to move forward with any kind of relationship or friendship with him (because he'll probably ask to be friends in the hope you'll change your mind, need to close this right down).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I think you need to reduce contact with him and don't entertain any future dates. He's been love bombing you with texts and now that you've dated somebody else he's flow into a rage. This isn't healthy at all. For your own safety let him down as gently as possible and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Wow absolutely do not get involved with this guy, I'm similar age to him and it's giving me the "ick"

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭ElizaBennett

Thank you so much, everyone. I did feel very uncomfortable obviously or I wouldn't have come on here but the date was absolutely brilliant and he was so easy to be around and no red flags in person - the complete opposite. He was fun and easy going and no hints of wanting to know about my past etc etc. I do agree that he was very disappointed I went on the other date and I'm not entirely sure why I even did it - boredom and it was saturday night I guess, no other reason.

i don't think he was stalking me to find out I was on a date - it was literally only that I hadn't replied to his texts for hours and hours on a saturday night and that was uncharacteristic of our communication so far (we'd been in touch maybe a week before actually meeting for the first date too.) When I answered his call at 2am he asked straight out if I'd been on a date and it was beneath my dignity to lie - why would I, at my age etc. Would seem so silly. I absolutely did not expect him to react as he did.

I came on here because I'm very very disappointed that this isn't going to go further - and it absolutely can't for all the reasons outlined here by every single contributor. As has been said, it's good this happened actually as now I know. There were tiny red flags before we met as he was very very keen and did seem to require reassurance etc and I felt he might be a little insecure but now I know it's off the scale. I guess part of the reason the date was at least 20 hours long was that he didn't want it to end - I think I'd be living with him by now if I'd hadn't needed to leave when I did (And wanted to as, although we had an amazing time, I wanted to get back to my life and regroup.) He's not the kind of guy who would ever need to regroup I don't think - all just way too intense.

Appreciate it. I can see now reading through it that I was completely deluded and mad to even consider this might work out. Shame in many ways and I feel bad for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭LilacNails

U done the right thing OP. It all sounded too intense, for whatever reasons. Best to have cut ties now than 6months down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Kurooi

Dude is a psycho, count your blessings, run and don't look back.

You've done nothing wrong. No loyalty is owed until you both agree that you're in a relationship.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,750 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

He sounds like a textbook lovebomber, EB - I guarantee you that if you hadn't been "caught" going on the other date, this all would have run its course within about 6 weeks anyway. He'd have been super intense - showering you with affection, buying you gifts, perhaps even actually asking you to move in - and then it would have been over as fast as it started. I've seen it happen and it can be absolutely devastating for the love bomb-ee because they generally know better, want to trust their common sense and then get sucked in against their better judgement anyway, only to be left reeling when the inevitable happens, and the whole thing is actually made even harder to deal with because they feel like such a wally for not trusting their gut in the first place.

Believe me, this guy did you a favour by showing his hand early doors. Block, regroup and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Get out of Dodge, and BLOCK BLOCK BLOCK as Simon Harris would do.

you were never mad nor never deluded - you just had your radar on for potentially not nice people and it kicked in - I hope it always works for you - but maybe just check back with the crowd here ….just in case 😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

Ill be honest I'm more of the see how things go if I have had a good first date and don't bother with multi dating. I noticed a lot of people had started to go back to that over the the multi dating approach when I used do it.

In fact nearly every multi dater I ever knew always tended to be single. It like a mix of they always were looking for the better option and not taking time to get to know anyone. Some used be on date 3/4 with someone and still arranging 1st dates with others!!!

In saying that, RUN! This guy is way too sensitive at best. It's way too intense to get this upset especially at his age. I'd understand if he was 18. If I was in his shoes and thought I had one I really clicked well with and was disappointed felt they were off exploring other options which meant they probably didn't feel the same you'd just stop texting them and move on not this nonsense.

This sounds like the type of fella that would guilt you for a week if you cancelled cause you'd a dose of the shites and couldn't leave the toilet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

• Registered Users Posts: 13,180 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

The mistake was answering his call at 2am. That alone should have been the final red flag and you should have just left him stew.

Anyway, I concur with everything everyone has said. Be polite but firm with no ambiguity that you don't wish to pursue things. Wish him well.

If he persists contact after that, then ask him politely to leave you be as you are not a couple.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 19,826 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I don't see the issue. You met some fella that obviously really liked you (mental or not). You appear to have wanted to keep him as a backup. He found out. He lost the plot. That's the end of that. For better or for worse. He can move on and keep looking for someone else if he wants and you can do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭thereiver

He sounds like a stalker , a first date is not a big deal , he,s no right to feel annoyed , you are not in a relationship with anyone the whole point of apps is to test the water go out with many people you may have a good time on a date. But some expert said there,s 3 points in a positive romantic relationship,

Do you find him sexy attractive

Are your lifestyles ,political viewpoints , attitude to life in general compatible

Is he reliable and trustworthy in terms of a long term relationship do you really enjoy being with him he's not boring or overly possessive is there a real Emotional connection there

You,d need to go on maybe 5 dates to work this out

This bloke sounds like a nutter or a control freak with maybe some type of mental problem

I don't think it's normal at all

Its weird it's not your job to fix him

If I meet a woman on a dating app. I would presume she has other options other men lined up to meet ie keep your options open

He,s sending up red flags control freak insecure overly possessive

After a few weeks most people if things go well there is chemistry there is affection. There is physical chemistry attraction than maybe someone says

do you want to be my girlfriend, boyfriend

This post reminds me of the TV show baby reindeer

A man is nice to a woman once he buys her a cup of tea

A she becomes obsessed with him and ruins his life

my advice is break off all contact with him and meet other people that might act in a normal easygoing way

Its very unusual for people to fall in love on the first date

Or this sounds like a question from

Newstalk

So you think you,re an Adult ?

Calling you at 2am ,he sounds like a complete psycho have nothing to do with him

If he calls again say you are very busy at work and you are not looking for a serious relationship at the moment

People multi date maybe they meet the one maybe they don't ,some people expect to meet a rich man who looks like Brad Pitt and is kind and sensitive he probably does not exist

Open up a proton mail account use it to talk to potential dates wait at least 3 dates before before you go e them your phone no

Adk them their views on politics do they use drugs look for extremes do they spend most of their money on drugs drink clothes while living at home they save no money are they racist sexist

Its easy to be nice to someone on one date what is there life plan do they intend to buy a house and have kids

Are they obsessed with work or sport

Its not possible to find all this info on one date and theres no point in doing so if you don't like the man and also feel a deep attraction to him beyond a casual hookup

NoNo one says dating is easy date 2 or 3 men in one week

Maybe don't give out too much info on the first 2 dates where you work where you live your phone no

A man can be nice kind gentle well dressed while also having serious issues

II don't think it's possible for normal people to fall in love on a single date

If he continues to phone you block his no

or get a new sim card phone no

AA sim card is only 20 euros with 20 euros credit on it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭JayRoc

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

@nikiznb welcome to Personal Issues. This forum runs slightly differently to others on boards, as in posters are asked to offer advice to an OP when replying to their thread. Ther charter can be found here and if you take a look at it youll see it sets out all you need to know about posting here.

Thanks

HS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭rowantree18

Look - like it or not, we've now entered an era of American style dating "we're not exclusive until we decide that"....... I'm early 50s too so in my day it was called two-timing.....and frankly due to the apps most people have a few on the go. He sounds a bit nuts so just stay away.

Advertisement