Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gigs for 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭T.V Eye

Jaysus, the Hives was proper fun.

Yeah, it's gimmicky but there's a self awareness to it and they really pull it off.

Not many bands of that era could fill a set with an album from 2023 and have people singing along to the songs. Bogus Operandi might be the best thing they ever wrote.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

Anyone on here going to the Adrianne Lenker (of Big Thief) gigs towards the end of the week?

Really looking forward to seeing her in Dublin on Sunday - new album is class.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Yeah, last minute ticket from the brother for Sunday. Loved Big Thief in the stadium, I'll have to get cracking on her solo stuff. Looking forward to it.

Thought Adrienne Lenker was spectacular tonight. Completely stripped back, just herself on a stool, alternating between 2 guitars, not so much as a tech to tune them. Really let you concentrate on the quality of the songs and her guitar playing. Great selection of her solo stuff and some Big Thief numbers. No idea she was so big with the young hip gender fluid crowd but certainly an adoring audience there, really respectful and loads knew every word, even the new album. I was reminded of Dylan at times, prime Conor Oberst, Elliot Smith but she's her own woman, beautiful lyricist singer and musician.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

Agreed @Stillill42, excellent summary. Adrianne Lenker played a special gig - so many beautiful songs. One of those rare nights where I felt I was in the presence of a truly great talent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Shakyfan

Great weekend of entertainment! Saturday was the penultimate show by Kevin McAleer at the Whitla Hall in Belfast. Hilarious as always.

Followed on Sunday by The Billy Joel Songbook at the Ulster Hall. Three hours of music performed magnificently by the hugely talented Elio Pace and his band. Heard several people afterwards who had never seen the show before saying they would be back next time. If you get the chance to see it go!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

New Purple Celebration (the Prince tribute band) last night at Button Factory were great. The gig coincided with the 8th anniversary of Prince's death, so a good occasion. They have been going for 20 years so a very tight band - 7 people in total, including trumpet, saxophone and trombone which gives a nice funky sound. Bold start with Housequake (from the Sign O The Times album) which set the evening nicely. They played Purple Rain in full (40 years from its release) and played a couple of deeper cuts. A good option since Prince isn't with us anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭mgkelly

Wow. That actually sounds really good. Been lucky enough to see him live, twice, & hear those tunes, but worth me looking out for these folks again. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

Problem Patterns in the Workmans Cellar last night was ok. Oddly, they sounded less noisy live than on record which was a minus for me. 30 minute set of punky tunes, the band swapping instruments and vocals, a few forays into the crowd. Two support acts each getting 30 minutes also; Baby Tears were first up. Played a 50s rocknroll/Ramones kinda thing. Best tune was Boy Pussy, a dirty surf-punk job that stood out against all their other songs. Next was Hotgirl; possibly the most musically interesting act of the night or at least the band that suggested the most potential. Typical Indie/Alt thing but there was something about them that makes me think they might be worth keeping an eye on. A few here would enjoy them i reckon.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

I did the two Kacey Musgraves shows, both excellent. The second was tonight, including a brand new song - Irish Goodbye - to conclude.

Other than this additional new song and different intro music, it was the same set both nights. Different costuming, though.

Post edited by delbertgrady on

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Granite Head

Excellent tonight. Not very familiar with her material but never a lull in the gig from beginning to end. Will definitely catch her again if she comes back.

2024 Gigs and Events: Jarlath Regan, Depeche Mode, Roisin Murphy, Pip Blom, Nouvelle Vogue, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Murder Capital, Pixies, The Stranglers, Liam Gallagher & John Squires, The Jesus & Mary Chain, DJ Shadow, Cam Cole, Fight Like Apes, The Hives, Somebody's Child, Kacey Musgraves, Sprints, Nadine Shah, Jane Weaver, Bob Log lll, Jimmy Carr, Richard Hawley, Beyond The Pale, LCD Sound System, Patti Smith, Night & Day Festival, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, The Beat, All Together Now, Electric Picnic, Bonny Prince Billy, Phospherescant, Ride, Dirt Birds, Arab Strap, Tommy Tiernan, The Last Dinner Party, John Grant, Iron & Wine x2, Therapy, Ezra Collective, Nick Cave, Peter Hook & The Light, Idles, Khruangbin, Lightning Seeds, Fontaines DC, Amble

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭ergo

Bluetones acoustic duo were excellent Saturday night in Whelan's. Vocals perfect and excellent guitar, good banter too. Back with full band October in Opium

• Registered Users Posts: 10,987 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I forgot all about Problem Patterns, I had been planning to go. Sounds like I didn't miss too much though 😕

Half hour is a very short set. Though I guess the album probably only comes in about that

Theatre of Hate won the Workmans Coin toss.

Stan Stammers is up there with the likes of Hooky, Les Pattinson and Gallup for me.

Nice gig.

Post edited by T.V Eye on

I went the other way and took in Snapped Ankles. Good gig, songs from all the albums as far as i could tell, an (eventually) up for it crowd of young and old. Good fun.

Another one for the "Acts that should play Irish festivals" list. I 100% refuse to believe that SA would not get a festival tent or the Croi mainstage hopping. Even moreso with most people in a festivalised state.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Wooderson

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Loved it. Couple of new tunes they played early? I didnt know them anyway, I dont think. Sounded great anyway.

Yeah theyre a super festival band. Dont really promote themselves though do they? No merch last night at all really.

Next week is a busy one; 4 gigs of which two nights have clashes. CLT DRP v Frances of Delirium on Wednesday. TV AM v Jane Weaver on Thursday. I'll be opting for CLT DRP and TV AM. I expect a few here would enjoy all four acts so maybe try to get to one if you've time on your hands.

Then Saturday and Sunday provide a lovely head crushing one - two punch of Godflesh and Acid Mothers Temple😁 Both highly recommended for those into the harder stuff. AMT especially, if you've never seen them before.

Edited to put in correct days.

Post edited by Dreamweapon on

Yeah, your weekend entertainment too much for me, Dreamweapon but the other 4 all look great. Keep the left field recommendations coming!

Looking forward to AMT! (not sure if there's a suffix these days)

Gonna head to Mitski tonight. Reckon I'm going to feel like Buscemi in 30 Rock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭fluke

Going to Mitski tonight also. Any idea on set times?

Support 8 (well worth seeing)

Mitski 9

(via 3arena x account)

I'm not sure how the youngsters will respond to Richard Dawson's esoteric folk. It's a strange pairing.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Beagslife

Well that's 3 boardsies going anyway! Passed by a while ago and queuing already. They do realise it's fully seated?

Made the Irish Times Ticket event of the week 😎

They're expecting the merchandise to be extremely busy, so they might be trying to get in early to ensure they get what they want before their sizes (or items of choice) sell out.

As expected, the Mitski gig has quite possibly the biggest queue for merchandise that I've ever seen in the 3Arena. They have barriers up to create a corral.

Nobody getting up to go to the bar, less chatting and phones than usual at the 3arena (the torches are just modern lighters)

Gotta go to more of these younger schewed gigs.

Fantastic Performance, great band and subtle but well thought out stage show even if air guitar is always a bad idea... despite playing the correct notes.

Great show. The kids are all-right.

A few images from tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Beagslife

Some show alright. Combined performance art, great music and a very talented performer. As for the musicians I'd pay to see them on their own again!

I think it being all seated added to the atmosphere. As for the crowd, noticed lots of big hair and that was the lads! The 80's have come back around again 😎

A week off and then back to Dublin for John Cooper Clarke, Clapton, Springsteen and Richard Hawley to close out a great May 🎸

• Advertisement

A few more...

Advertisement