Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Limerick Businesses Opening

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

the works is the pound shop equivalent of a book shop. Don’t know how much of a catch it is tbh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,168 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Cheap books for kids. Oh the horror 🤣

Joking aside though with the amount of empty units anything with the lights on is a win.

I don’t disagree with you on vacancy but it’d be nice to something better than a budget shop with gaudy signage and a ‘stack ‘em high, sell ‘em cheap’ model that will aim to undercut their competitors just a few doors up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Vanquished

It's just another indication of the unattractiveness of the city centre for retailers and the difficulties in attracting new businesses to set up inside there.

That unit was put up for rent 6 months before Compu b moved out to the crescent shopping centre. The owner of the building stated in documentation submitted with a planning application that they were having issues attracting new tenants to occupy the premises despite it being one of the larger and most modern open plan units on the street.

There are many other premises that have been vacant for 3/4 years: former clothing store beside Irish Handcrafts on Patrick Street, unit at Thomas Street/O'Connell Street corner, former Gasta/Kranks further up Thomas Street, former Xtravision, former shoe zone on William Street, unit beside Lily on Roches Street, former vape shop at Roches Street/O'Connell Street corner, former PTSB Sarsfield Street, to name but a few.

What was the last retailer of any significance or profile to open in Limerick? I'm not talking about low calibre businesses like vape shops, smartphone repair/cheap tat stores, charity shops, bookies etc. The fact that the city centre is so unattractive to even indigenous Irish retailers not to mind international retailers is a shocking indictment of the Council's management of the city centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭topcat72

Is it as good as, say , a Waterstones or Dubray? No, but that said ( from having been in their ILAC one, they do toys and stationery etc as much as books. The unit in question is probably the ideal size. And they are popular ( big on Tiktok, the young people tell me) . Plus, we need to start somewhere with getting 'critical mass' occupancy in Limerick retail . Anything that drives footfall in the short term.

Every city in Ireland has a Boards thread and all of them have the same complaints. The threads are almost identical in their complaints and their belief that it is a localised problem.

It's not even just an Irish problem so no it's not the councils management of the city centre (not that they are amazing or anything either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭LeoD

You're right that Limerick's city centre decline is no different to other towns & cities across Ireland and any other place in the world where transport and planning strategy is dominated by motor cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

I'm interested about the bottom point too - what was the most recent big retailer to open in Limerick City Centre? Dublin has New Balance opening soon, and Cork recently got Mango

Even outside of international brands, it would be good to see a store like Carrols open (already in Dublin everywhere, two in Cork and two in Galway) and Dubrary (all other cities with multiple in Dublin). It's great that The Crescent has stores like Butlers Chocolate, Gino's Gelato, H&M, Next, SuperDry, Tommy Hilfiger and Zara, but those stores should either be in the city centre instead or as well. Cruises Street, as discussed in another thread, is a good idea for that, but it's probably an outdated model. It would be great to see it flattened for larger modern stores and apartments like Opera Lane in Cork, but I think likes other said, it will still struggle as it doesn't lead you anywhere. Are there many large, empty stores that those retailers listed above could go in? It's great to want these retailers, but is there anywhere for them to actually go where they would want to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 704 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

If the ground floor of the old Debenhams (which I understand is to have retail while hotel accommodation is planned for the upper floors) does not get a major crowd puller retailer like Zara or H&M or even a JD Sports flagship store , then we know the city centre is truly doomed as a shopping location.

• Advertisement

I doubt we will ever get a Carroll's because we just don't have the tourist numbers. Something like the tourist shop under the rugby museum is as close as we will get.

Surprised we don't have a Butlers amongst all the other coffee shops. They would fit nice down Cruises St.

Those clothes shops probably don't care because they know people will go to the Crescent for them. It's a simple Google and bus/car/whatever to get there and we are not big enough I would imagine for multiple shops especially with the amount of online sales now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,880 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

The new JD Sports is opening in The Crescent on Saturday 16th.

Passed The Trading Post last night. I had assumed by the name that it was a second hand shop but it's actually a place to play board games and swap Pokémon cards and the likes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭rjoe90

Anyone else think that the ferris wheel is a nice addition to the city and looks really well. I know it wouldn’t generate a lot of money if it was kept year round, but I do think it adds to the aesthetic of the city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭lazyman

Does anyone know how much tickets are for the panaromic wheel? Can't find prices online, thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Think we paid €16 for two adults and two children yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭DT2016

I’d love a hillbillies in Limerick. Chicken hut is overrated salty rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭YTM

Hear hear.

Got chicken hut on Sunday and the chicken fillet burger was overcooked and looked like someone had punched it repeatedly. Gravy chip was beautiful though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭adaminho

Official opening on Thursday. Also has a gallery and t-shirts as well!

Bit of activity in a few units around town today. Work was going on in the former KBC bank outlet along with the old Compu b store. Hoarding has also been erected around the building that used to house 'Name it' on Thomas Street with work seemingly going on across all floors so hopefully a full refurbishment is underway.

I also spotted people in the Food Point on Rutland Street over the last few days, for the first time in months so maybe it's reopening under new management.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭DT2016

What’s opening in the old dunnes next to bank of Ireland? Is it still empty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Hadn't even noticed KBC was now "former" 🤣. Used never seen anyone go in or out of there or PTSB down the road.

On the city centre I always find it funny that Limerick people gush about restricted access city centres when on holidays. And before anyone says "quality public transport" Galway is also raved about and their transport is the same as Limericks.

Yep Roosters but it seems to be taking an age to get it kitted out. I assume it's a manpower problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Glenomra

Zambrero is opening in Castletroy in a few weeks. It’s much nicer than boojum!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

It looks like Rio's across the road is about to re-open too.

Also Poppadum (late of Cornmarket Square) seem to be now operating out of the Achari restaurant next door.

I'm not sure if they are about to take over but both websites seem to operating independently for now. Achari is a very mediocre Indian restaurant. It's a while since I tried them but whenever I did, it was always disappointing.....tasteless and forgettable.

I'm not sure what Poppadum is like but it's nice to see some more options.....though I'd probably still drive past them all to go to the Mogul..

The former Habit coffee shop on O'Connell Street reopened today. Didn't spot the new identity but the same guy is definitely running it anyhow. I saw him moving stock in there as I passed by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Coffee 43 is the new name, i think 43 is the number of people he owes…….*cough*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,865 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

By right it should be boycotted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭adaminho

Cornmarket car park is reopened today under Q park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Was in there this morning and it was dead. Maybe the word is out..

Who is actually running it? There is a barista there (who was actually working in Guji for the few weeks Habit was closed), he's sound, but not sure if he's the owner?

Passed it yesterday at lunch and decided to head in then today for a coffee. A couple of customers ahead of me and a few more came in as I was leaving.

It's a strange set up. The door is closed, the lights are off and there's no sandwich board outside like previously. It looks very dark from the street and it's hard to tell if it's actually open unless you peer in the window. Maybe they're trying to fly under the radar a bit.

There finally appears to be definite signs of work being carried in the former Gasta/Kranks premises on Thomas Street. Much of the interior fittings have been ripped out in the last few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,399 ✭✭✭✭phog

This unit looks like it's going to be a hairdressers or beauty salon

Tesco in Watchhouse Cross opened this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

If that dump finally opens again I will be so grateful I will take up vaping.

Maybe it will be a second branch of Coffee43 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,962 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Its quite a decent setup there. I was thinking that it would be sans off-license given that there is a Carry out off license in the vestibule. I was half right, it seems to be a wine only offering. Its a compact store but well laid out and carrying more stock lines than I'd expected, I expected a tesco-express setup, glad to see it's far more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,540 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

M&S Food is opening in Applegreen in Birdhill today (similar to the one on the Ennis Road).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I thought it was an Express but when I visited on Saturday I don't think it is a Tesco Express but rather a smaller Tesco store. It is way bigger than Tesco Express near Westbury. Looking at the Tesco website it refers to it as Tesco "Superstore", Limerick, Kileely. Regardless of how they define it is appears to be a nice store and a good addition to the area.

It probably falls more into the Metro size but this format was discontinued recently with smaller Metro stores become Express and the larger size becoming Superstores.

A similar sized store opened in Dublin 4 last year and is also a 'Superstore'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Variety Coffee, a coffee shop opening in Denmark Street, I think opposite the Story Café, with "good music and an artistic atmosphere". There had been a similar place there before.

Live95 News link

Duo who moved to Sarsfield St. were there first.

Any chance we could pedestrianise Denmark St. and put the road up shtty Cruises St. 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,969 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The one on the Ennis Road is a fridge with €7 for 2 small sausage rolls you have to cook yourself and other types of ripoff crap like that, absolute waste of time.

The Burger King has some decent offers in the app though.

• Advertisement

The only British food shops that are anyway decent are Waitrose and Morrisons and even they don't live up to Irish standards. They ain't perfect but I would have killed for a Centra over there for a sandwich or Dunnes for relatively fresh veg.

M&S is the biggest rip-off of them all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,540 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

We got an M&S meal deal in Birdhill last week after a long drive (pizza and side for €10).

I have never eaten a more bland pizza in my life. The chicken balls were all crunchy texture and no flavour too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Paddico

Good to see someone is seeing sense.

Lived in London for 20 years. M&S completely over rated. Their own brands for stuff is really poor.

People getting their knickers in a twist about them but give me Aldi any day

According to their website The Hub bike shop are moving from Coonagh Cross to the Jetland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭geotrig

noticed it was gone from coonagh this morning ,was wondering if it had closed !

• Advertisement
Advertisement