Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why are some people not growing up?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Shoog

And yet you declare someone watch a cartoon as been immature.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• If you have a 51-year old man at home, who has never moved out, and watches Teletubbies or Peppa Pig in their spare time — then yes, at the very least there is a problem.

I don't believe in the theory of "live and let live". If someone is doing the above, something has seriously gone wrong with their emotional and personal development over time.

But it does nothing and is not constructive. Its a "game", no different to tiddly winks, a thing who's only purpose is to entertain. How is that different to a movie or cartoon.

People maybe heavily invested in sport but that doesn't imbue it with meaning.

I have never encountered such a fictional shibboleth of a man, and I guarantee that neither have you.

Straw man again.

If you are going to be judgemental of either (which I ain't) then they are equally childish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

4 or 5 I reckon but who is counting really? But yes isn't it mystifying and strange that something that is very current and very active in my life might somehow make its way frequently into things I write about? Mad. Clearly that never happens to anyone but me :)

I would say it can be as you describe above but like many things in life it does not have to be. In that it is not a given pursuit in and of itself that is mature or immature - or a good or bad investment of ones time - but what you specifically derive from it.

There is absolutely a mindless thoughtless time sink way of watching any sport from which you get nothing more than the rush of dopamine associated with becoming emotionally invested and therefore vicariously stimulated by the successes and failures of your chosen athlete(s).

But there are ways to watch sports that are inspirational, unifying, educational, stimulating and nourishing too. When a nation unites behind a team on the world stage for example - and through that represents their country - it can be moving and unifying and more.

Or when I watch certain events in MMA or jujitsu or judo or the Olympics I can find in it both inspiration and education. I see the limits of what human achievement and dedication is capable of at the upper tiers of discipline and training and effort. As a practitioner myself I can learn from watching the experts and see moves and nuances I can apply to my own game and my own growth. It's inspiring.

It is so easy to point at anything and dismiss it or laud it as a good or bad investment of time or maturity/immaturity. The reality is more nuanced however and it is not WHAT you engage with but HOW and WHY you engage with it that really defines the utility and worth.

All that said though I would not be so quick to deride the wasting of time in "useless" fashion. We do not have to be switched on 24/7. Pursuing meaningless waste of time can be a worthy end in itself for many reasons. Especially if it's part of an otherwise balanced and examined life and existence.

That is hilarious. I would genuinely love to hear your reasoning on that one :)

• You asked me whether I thought watching cartoons in adulthood is childish. I don't have to meet that person or know he exists to demonstrate my point.

There is such a group as furry fandom, where people — who on average are around 25 - 30 years old — dress up as cartoon animals (see below). Judging from that photo, it seems many are much older than that.

I would make the argument that if all adults ended up like this, society would very quickly collapse.

Your very heavily invested in this notion of society under threat. Which says far more about your psychology than it does about society.

And again how is what you pointed to materially different from a bunch of lads putting on the green jersey and shouting for Ireland.

• Oh don't get me wrong, I don't think furry fandom is a threat to society.

Mercifully, we are talking about a tiny, tiny group of harmless people who just never grew up, and who don't want to. They want to live as children for the rest of their lives.

I don't fear them, I pity them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

At some point we all have to stand on our own two feet. There's nothing that makes someone grow up quicker than leaving the family home and making their own way in the world.

Some may think folks are coddling their children more these days, others might think they're just being more caring and affording them things they didn't have themselves.

Either way, the vast majority of people cut the apron strings at some point and fend for themselves. That's growing up.

A person who can do that while still watching Pokemon or building Lego is far more interesting IMO than average Dan who watches the footie every Saturday with the lads down the boozer and puts 'Golf' as one of his hobbies/interests on CVs.

• than average Dan who watches the footie every Saturday with the lads down the boozer 

As it happens, I don't have any time for that kind either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Gary_dunne

The RTE player so they can watch a few episodes instead of weekly. Point being they and their friends love that type of show. Gogglebox too, watching other people reacting to watching tv.

That's on terrestrial tv too, is that a grown up concept that's purely for adults?

Post edited by Gary_dunne on

Which is scarier would you say? The idea that "Furries" are people who never grew up. Or they are people who have grown up and that is what they grew up into?

I do not think I fear OR pity such people though. I more take the approach of Mic Christopher's "Kid's Song" which is to feel that as long as such people remain a minority - they color and add to the world by existing. I hope they never go away as much as I hope they never become 5% of our population :)

The overarching desire to impose conformity is the single greatest threat that the average person faces - because ultimately none of us is truly "normal" and one day they will come for you and your little quirk.

• Advertisement

• I don't think encouraging young people to adopt responsibility, to grow up maturely and to contribute productively to society is "imposing conformity".

Difference is fine, within reasonable boundaries.

It reminds me of some people who choose to stay on the Dole in perpetuity. Some of them would argue that society is "imposing conformity" upon them by asking them to adopt responsibility and find a job.

You always extrapolate way beyond what people say to unreasonable conclusions about what they mean - which is very interesting.

We're not talking about people not adopting responsibility, most here have stated that they have mortgages, kids, partners, full time jobs, all of these require a level of responsibility and are contributing in their way productively to society.

You agree that "difference is fine" so why are people getting irritated because someone likes a cartoon or in your case think it's wrong for an adult to be passionate in their support of a football team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭yagan

The whole concept of "growing up" is very unspecific.

The lad who played sport, and then when they no longer participated continued to spend all their free time following and attending sport could be thought of as having never grown up. But professional sport is a paid profession? It is, but only for a few and only possible because of the money paid by those who don't want to grow up.

"do not let daily to-ing and fro-ing to earn what we need to keep going prevent what you once felt when wee, hopeful and free."

• Advertisement

• I don't think being passionate about a football team is bad, as long as you have some connection to that team.

Even as a teenager, it never made sense to me that it was split into Manchester United and Liverpool supporters mostly. Almost none of them had any connection to either team, yet they'd fight to the bitter end the importance of it.

Now that's not a major issue in adolescence. I don't give a damn what teenagers do or think.

But when they carry that weird obsession into their adulthood — 30s, 40s, 50s — and screaming at the TV when a player misses — then that's a different kettle of fish.

Moreover, this is often the same cohort that talks about people being "West Brits" and supporters of Sinn Fein, yet they don't see the irony that they're obsessed with UK football teams when they could, for example, watch or support their local Gaelic football team which, funny enough, most of them don't.

Irish people supporting Ireland makes sense, and I get the enthusiasm and the passion.

But not for the group, attitude, and behaviour I described above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

I'm not that young anymore. Love everything from Spiderverse to Miyazaki. Enjoy dipping into comic books and even doing some gaming. I'm also a home owner and have been in consistent employment for nearly a decade. I'm lost on how my movie taste etc negatively impacts my contributions to society.

Honestly, you seem more intent to drag culture war nonsense in.

I'm Irish, I have no real interest in watching GAA, it just doesn't appeal to me. I played it as a kid because there was no football club around me. I support Manchester United and would actively watch 99% of matches. I got to supporting them from my Grandad when I was 4 years old and that was over 25 years ago now.

I may not have a geographical connection with them but I have an ingrained connection that I can't just turn off and decide that I now support St Pats or Shamrock Rovers. I've been to LOI matches but I don't get a tenth of the feeling I do when I walk up to Old Trafford.

I would definitely consider myself to have grown up, the team losing doesn't ruin my weekend like it did when I was a child/teenager but I definitely would scream at the tv with a last minute winner. It's passion not immaturity.

Whats annoying is to equate maturity to one utterly trivial pursuit and immaturity to another equally trivial pursuit. Now that really points to intellectual immaturity.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Indeed. I only post disparaging comments about soccer and alcoholism because those seem to be perfectly acceptable but reading comic books and enjoying modern versions of childhood cartoons are bad for society because reasons…

It seems to be almost voyeuristic in some ways. I remember being on the Manchester Metrolink once and there was a ComicCon type event on. One of the typical soccer-watching and hard-drinking types nudged his friend and offered his scintillating insight on how pathetic the ComicCon people were with zero self-awareness whatsoever.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

I find it strange how you think sport is for children. was it not invented to replace war? war isn't for children is it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Why do you think war is for children? What an odd thing to come out with.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Master of the Universe

Lots of child soldiers around the world would disagree.

Yes.

war isn't for children is it?

That's what you wrote. I can only work with what I'm given.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Where did this notion spring from.

A natural part of growing up is to play games - it's part of learning. That is where sports came from.

The history of sports extends back to the Ancient world in 7000 BCE. The physical activity that developed into sports had early links with warfare and entertainment.[1

Im saying war is not for children. I hope you actually know what im saying for your own sake.

It wasn't created to replace war... And your Wikipedia one liner doesn't say it was.… 😂

So, can we accept sport wasn't created to "replace war"?

I literally quoted you. I know full well what you said and it's, frankly one of the stupidest things I've ever read.

Maybe we should just leave it there. I'm not sure this is going to go anywhere constructive.

Master of the Universe

From 'Pokémon is for children' to defining whether or not sports were created to replace war. This thread has it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I love threads where the OP just refuses to stop digging. Always a wild ride.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,272 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Musicrules

Why hasn't this thread been closed for heightism?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,566 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

It could get mysteriously swept away in the vanilla update tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭megaten

I am not going to read this threa dbecuase its obviosuly bad but I just want to applaud OP for including sports to get the full wind up going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Ironic coming from one of the most perpetually enraged posters on this site who almost certainly has a gammony complexion as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

It's no different than watching any other TV show or live entertainment.

And you can make a reasonable argument that it has the indirect benefit of inspiring people to take up the sport themselves thus improving their health.

I ain't complaining about sports, I am not a fan but they mostly are harmless past times.

What I am objecting to is a man who watches sports complaining about other peoples harmless past times.

The lack of self analysis is staggering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭briany

@[Deleted User]

There is such a group as furry fandom, where people — who on average are around 25 - 30 years old — dress up as cartoon animals (see below). Judging from that photo, it seems many are much older than that.

I would make the argument that if all adults ended up like this, society would very quickly collapse.

You'd need some statistics to back up with you're saying. At the moment, you're sort of relying on the assumption that anyone who wears a cartoon animal costume to a convention cannot possibly be an otherwise functional adult.

As far as society collapsing due to a proliferation of adult infantilism, it's not nearly as much a concern as society collapsing due to spiralling inflation, energy prices and global warming forcing massive migration and wars over dwindling resources.

Master of the Universe

It's the usual 'the generation after my one is full of degenerates' argument.

For previous generations it was homosexuality. The generation before I haven't a clue, potentially ankle exposure? 😂

It goes in loops though, go back to Ancient Greece and they were riding everything that moved.

• Advertisement
Advertisement