Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Criminal Justice (Incitement to Violence or Hatred and Hate Offences) Bill 2022 - Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭tom23

Where did he state this? Edit:I found the article.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭concerned_tenant

Actually, what he said was a lot more nuanced.

So we will pass the Bill.

The Bill will be amended and the Bill will seek to address significant concerns that have been made.

When enough people are saying ‘there’s a problem here’, [it’s] not putting your fingers in your ears and saying ‘la la la’ but actually trying to engage with people on the issue. That’s what we’ll try to do.

I do think there have been legitimate issues, or at least legitimate questions raised, in relation to freedom of speech, in relation to definitions, clarifications and the likes.

And if Harris seeks to legitimately clarify these concerns and address them, then it will be interesting to see what the final bill looks like.

What we can say for certain is that the bill in its current form is not going to be passed.

That's an initial, good concession.

Yes, it's not incitement to hatred under the proposed legislation.

That's my whole point — namely, that if a priest can stand up in a church and declare homosexuality to be a sin in front of 300 people and not be prosecuted under this legislation, then this legislation is bunkum to begin with.

If it cannot prosecute this clear case of hate, then the legislation fails itself by its own intended standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,581 ✭✭✭suvigirl

So freedom of religion and freedom of expression and people's personal opinions mean nothing to You and are not worth Protection. Your posts seem all over the place and quite hypocritical.

I honestly have no idea what your issue is unless you believe the legislation should just state what you think it should.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,345 ✭✭✭volchitsa

so does that mean that hate speech is grand as long as it’s committed by protected people like priests? Or when it’s validated because it’s an official teaching by a religion?

I don’t see the point of banning hate speech for some but not for all. Shouldn’t the law be the same for everyone?

• Advertisement

Noo. Priests can indeed be charged with incitement to hatred. They are not protected from prosecution. What is protected is merely religion.

Shouldn’t the law be the same for everyone?

That's what it boils down to.

Ultimately, the legislation forbids "hate speech" yet at the same time offers protection for certain groups to engage in hate speech without risk of prosecution i.e. the religious example I cited.

It's laughable.

If a radical cleric says from a lectern to 300+ people in a church that, "homosexuality is an abomination, a sin; an affront to the natural order"; that's "freedom of expression and opinion", in your case. This person cannot be prosecuted under the legislation due to religious belief.

Yet if someone speaks in public to 300+ people condemning gender identity on the same kind of hateful basis, he can be prosecuted and the same people saying "freedom of expression / belief" in the example above, then switch to "hate speech / must prosecute mode" in the second.

It's hypocrisy, and it's not ok.

You are now doing exactly what you were complaining about earlier in the thread. Just because someone thinks something doesn't make it incitement to hatred.

You believe calling homosexuality a sin, is incitement to hatred, that doesn't mean it is.

And why would you believe that just because someone says they believe gender identity is a sin, that would be incitement to hatred? There is no reason to believe that.

Freedom of expression and personal opinions are not incitement to hatred.

• Advertisement

I never argued that what someone "thinks" is prosecutable under this legislation.

I never argued that "personal opinions" are incitement to hatred, either.

In fact, I never argued anything in the litany of misrepresentations in that post, yet there all the straw men lay.

I'll leave it to others to come to their own conclusions regarding the specific point I made.

You didn't make a point, except to prove mine.

Just because someone thinks or believes something is a crime, doesn't make it so.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

So long as perceptions and feelings remain the basis of criminal prosecution then this Bill will remain fundamentally and irrevocably flawed and dangerous from the outset.

Lowering legal requirements and society in general to the level of pandering to the types who are generally either looking to be offended (even more ridiculous when it's offence based on how they perceive someone else might feel), or who are shouting about hurt feelings or "attacks" to deflect from the legitimate criticism of their own community/identity/group/agenda is never going to make for good law or good outcomes.

This entire notion should be scrapped entirely. We already have laws that deal with actual offences in this area.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭US3

Harris says that "woke" is an offensive term..will this mean you could have your house raided by gaurdai for calling someone woke under this legislation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭lmao10

I don't know about that but I do know that a lot of the far right scum in the country will be getting lifted, as well as their supporters.

I think the bigger problem is that some folk have bought into this notion of "far right scum" everywhere - it's very much reminiscent of the Reds Under the Bed anti-Communism thing of 1950s America, ie: largely fantasy!

It's a convenient distraction and boogeyman for those who need/are led by such things I suppose, and prevents focus on the real issues caused by/failings of those peddling such paranoid nonsense.

This is an overwhelmingly tolerant, relaxed and even politically apathetic country as a rule. I will keep saying this as even a cursory look at the policies and social reforms/changes of the last 30 years will show how ridiculous it is to suggest that we're harbouring a dangerous dissident element determined to destroy it all.

What we have is a small, very small number of extreme idiots - on both "sides" - but to suggest it's anything more than that is naive at best, disingenuous at worst.

As I've also repeatedly said, this is not America where such claims may have more legitimacy because of the extremely polarised and divisive nature of their politics and society in general - but that goes back generations and has factors like actual, real racism (not the offence-crying attention seeking dramatics we see a lot of here and which undermines and discourages the reporting of actual incidents) and discrimination as a cause.

America is a country tearing itself apart, but we're nothing like that - but certain social media obsessed elements are certainly trying their best through the attempts to import their ideologies and conflicts into our society where they have no place, no basis, and no real support.

What you are referring to as "far right" is in fact an increasing number of ordinary people who have had enough of this. Who are tired of being told what to think about things they know to be false, or to be told to shut up or risk being labelled some -ist or -phobe.... In other words : a resurgence of common sense and reality based thinking pushing back against ideology and divisive agendas.

Not many are buying this nonsense anymore and we'll all be the better for it when the shift back is complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,919 ✭✭✭Shoog

I think the campaign of arson and calls for immigrants to be killed and driven out of the country puts paid to the notion that there aren't any right wing scum in the country who will be impacted by this bill.

I think that some people need to stop relying on social media as the barometer for truth and look around themselves in the real world more.

In that real world no one condones arson or advocates for anyone to be murdered or driven out. You're confusing social media idiocy for reality. You're assuming statistical outliers (small numbers of idiots who will cause trouble regardless) as representing the behavior of the majority which is just flatly wrong.

But there is nothing at all wrong with people expressing concern, asking questions, or expecting their views to be heard and represented by politicians they've elected. That's as it should be. Not everyone is able to express themselves as smoothly as a politician or legal expert, but it doesn't mean that their opinion isn't important and shouldn't be heard.

To suggest that only views and opinions that are "approved" / an unknown "consensus" agree with is to go down a very dark path in a democratic society - which we certainly still claim to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,319 ✭✭✭prunudo

I think that some people need to stop relying on social media as the barometer for truth and look around themselves in the real world more.

Equally, I think some people need to stop believing everything the likes of RTE report. 10 days ago, there was an attempt to burn down a building on a site proposed for Ipa's. There was minimal damage yet RTE reported it as extensive damage for days afterwards.

RTE are showing what the government wants people to see. So the more I hear about them trying to rush through bills such as the hate speach etc, the more weary I become. The state and politicians do not care about its citizens.

Wow, just minor damage caused by deliberate arson for a building to house foreigners? Well, that's ok. Sure barely even a crime at all 🙄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,756 ✭✭✭buried

Sure 48 Irish people were unlawfully killed by flames in another function venue over 40 years ago and nobody in the establishment gave a f**k about it until last week

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 7,319 ✭✭✭prunudo

far more to this than you realise or what I am willing to put here on a public forum.

But a false narrative was put out in the public domain, which then set in motion events that followed.

As I said, people need to stop believing everything RTE report.

If you have some information that it wasn't arson, then you really should bring that to the relevant authorities.

Social media is a cesspit of ignorance and exaggeration; it acts as an amplifier of everything, often wrongly.

That has led to a situation where many people rely on social media as their sole news source, and so the "problem" they look into becomes exaggerated and sensationalized.

It has absolutely featured into much of the base support for this legislation i.e. the idea that Ireland is under attack and that many people need to be protected against a phantom "far-right" threat.

Nobody said there aren't "any" far-right scum. Of course there is; this is a straw man.

What we're saying is the "threat" is exaggerated, often knowingly — sometimes not.

This is the kind of disingenuous misrepresentation that many people are fed up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭toothy

Is that because they are not defined in legislation perhaps ? ? ?

NNo. It's because those offences were repealed and don't exist now🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 4,919 ✭✭✭Shoog

There are far right scum running wild in this country at the moment and they are spreading their hate through the social media you rail against. People who spread hate against minorities through social media need to be dealt with and this is exactly the function of this legislation.

There is also far-left scum in this country that spread hate through social media against people they don't like.

This legislation is not needed to address either group, period.

Incitement to violence — for sure, let's proceed with updating that legislation.

• Advertisement

We can't update incitement to violence, it doesn't exist.

What type of far left hate? All types of extremism should be unwelcome in decent democratic society, but I haven't seen much of this far left scum, you speak of

Advertisement