Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shortage of Catholic priests.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my nephew had his confirmation recently; i overheard that the priest who performed it now covers four churches.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,803 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Churches are already consolidating. It was announced back in 2018 that Limerick churches would be sharing priests.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭yagan

Lets be clear here, if followers are ok with the way the RCC moved known abusers onto unsuspecting communities then they do not have my respect.

I have zero respect for people who hide behind religion to excuse personal failings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭randd1

It's the same with the vast majority of the bible bashers in America.

Give them a quote about peace and respecting all people. The response is "that's just woke crap". Tell them it's a direct quote from Jesus in the Bible. Watch their heads do several turns, before they say "I don't think that's true, I'll have to check it out".

Religion for them is not about faith, it's simply a tool to help them pretend they're better than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,679 ✭✭✭✭L1011

My local parish has dropped one also recently, but they still do 5 (4, was 5, in one church, 1 in another) with two priests; of of which is a retired parish priest from somewhere else so rather elderly.

They've also recently lost one of their choirs. Definitely some decline but still a massive setup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,400 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Within rural Dublin Diocese, our parish is sharing a priest with at 3 parishes, covering 5 churches.

How did she react when you told her she was essentially Anglican? Although, "come up last if you require gluten free" has been going on a while…

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

She wouldn't believe me. I think she googled it afterwards though.

I've a friend who thought the RCC had a vow of poverty, how I laughed.

She also had no idea the Dominicans were essentially stormtroopers of their age.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭csirl

Is it a shortage of priests? The decline reflects the decline in demand for the RCC. Just that the RCC is slow in reorganising to reflect the lower demand i.e. less churches covering bigger geographic areas.

Aside from obviously providing the sacraments to those who expect them what is there for a priest to do?

I had a school friend train in a seminary for two years in the late 80s. He said an awful lot of their time was spent discussing how to negotiate civil law. He vocation was driven from the outset by a desire to serve community, but the primary emphasis on combatting the law over pastoral care left him disillusioned. Too much politics was his summation.

The RCC was most probably too concentrated on coverups to miss their core mission.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,179 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The church are still impossible to deal with when it comes to child abuse. Getting information from them is like getting blood out of a stone.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

They did get treated with kids gloves though. I'll never understand how there wasn't protests on the streets in 2002 for the government cap on compensation the RCC had to pay. People were probably too busy buying houses off eachother to give a fig.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

I don't know the details without looking it up, but there were Diocesan changes made recently where Bishops are now covering two Diocese due to a shortage of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Jesus said this about money

“If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me” (Matthew 19:21).

“No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money” (Matthew 6:24).

This is why Christianity is not very popular in Ireland. Lots of other more obvious ones but the difficult aspects of Christianity are too hard to fathom and follow in our wealth and greed worshipping society.

Communion and confirmation are popular because you get to flaunt wealth and give money to your dependents and relatives. I.e. not very Christian.

😁😁😁

Disclaimer: not a practicing Christian, but just calling it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭dublin49

personally I believe all religion is a cod but I am seriously impressed by the marketing achievements of the elders of the main religions in Brand development and product placement over the centuries.With regard to priests,their previously exalted position within their community has been destroyed by the actions of some of their colleagues and the subsequent disastrous handing of the scandal by the their management. I have not seen a priest walking around Dublin in maybe 10 years and never see them calling to houses anymore.They killed their golden goose and theres no going back .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭downtheroad

They're probably basing their numbers and requirements off the census, rather than attendance at mass, and convincing themselves that 69% of the population are catholic.

+1

Diocese's still try to detach themselves from child abuse situations. Funny how they dont have any role in the running of schools they are patrons of when abuse is uncovered, but they're quite happy to be in charge of the schools when it comes to selling off football pitches to property developers.

There were some serious child protection issues uncovered in a dioceses school I had two kids in (no longer there). When it was pointed out that the school was not following the Dept of Education child protection guidelines, the legalistic response to parents was "they're only guidelines, so its not mandatory to follow them....".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

We do need to pray for more priests

ah no, god will make them, just like he made adam and eve

• Advertisement

But would you financially support them?

If people were tithed via their tax like in Germany I wonder how people would tick the RCC box on the census.

Don't be giving Revenue ideas

LPT - local priest tax

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

This makes no sense, whatsoever. People are leaving the church or eschewing religion because it doesn't resonate with them due to the Church's behaviour, the behaviour of Christians, the existence of God or whatever.

Money's got nothing to do with it.

Here in the UK, the Church of England got stinking rich off the back of colonialism. Christians have no issue picking and choosing which parts of their faith to defer to when there's money to be made.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

All Henry viii did was privatise the franchise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Catholic Ireland.

Get baptised. First Holy communion. Confirmation.

Then become an adult who hates the church.

Then at 37 get married in a Catholic church because you don't want to upset your mammy or because you want a traditional wedding.

Then have a kid via IVF and sent them to a Catholic school because you don't want your brat sitting beside a foreigner in an educated together school.

The easy solution is for the Catholic Church to cater for the true believers and reduce its services.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

What I'm trying to say is that being a Christian and raising a family is very hard in a capitalist consumerist society. It's dog eat dog. Survival of the richest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

And I'm saying it's nonsense. Non-Christians don't get discounts at the supermarket.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

If any of the abuse survivors heard about proposals about a tax to support an institution that gave them so much suffering in the past; Could you imagine the amount of anger coming from the abuse survivors themselves if they heard about them on a public forum. The level of anger will still be quite severe towards them who supports such a proposal.

The survivors wouldn't tolerate people who live in this country giving state enforced financial support to an institution that gave them so much pain & suffering in the past. They might call it an enforced act of hypocrisy; especially when some of the remaining abusers in the church from that horrific period of abuse are still present in parishes all around the country.

I don't think we have heard more stories from any of the remaining abuse survivors either.

The feelings of anger are still quite raw among those who have not got any form of proper justice from the state in how they dealt with their pain from the abuse. The scandals surrounding what happened within the Mother and Baby homes and the Bethany homes have still not been fully resolved to this day. And all of those faults from those scandals still lay unresolved within the hands of the state in how they kept it away from us behind closed doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

this is good news.
    the only ones this will effect are the beer catholics who get their children baptised/comuned/confirmed ETC, who get married in a church because.
    time these people had the ground pulled from under them as they are responsible for keeping the catholic church as relevant as it still is when it should be an irrelevant small church with a core of genuine believers.
    most people in ireland are not catholic, ticking a box does not make you a religion.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement

It would certainly separate the sheep from the citizens.

As I understand it I think adherents of established churches like Anglican, Methodist and Presbyterian can divert some of their tax to their churches, I don't think it's a huge amount, but in principle all taxpayers burdened with the 2002 cap on RCC liabilities should have the right for a refund.

Advertisement