Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord - New Entrant Qs

Options
  • 22-04-2024 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭

Afternoon all

I appreciate the majority of threads appear to focus on reasons why it's never a good idea to be a landlord, but our circumstances are we have an apartment (mortgage nearly paid) that we want to keep. Currently being used, but it will be available later this year. We're looking at renting it out for a number of years, but in time intend leaving it to one of our children. Long story but that's the plan. I will do my homework re: RTB and IPOA…and both websites appear to provide loads of info and we do understand there are many obligations on us etc. There are two things I'd like to ask here:

1. From people's experience what are the must dos/donts ?.
    2. I'm exploring the Letting Agent route. We're not letting professionals, this is just one apartment…and I think we would be keen to pay a fee for someone to manage the letting etc. A bit late in our day to be dealing with routine issues. Is this something others would recommend ?

We're not looking to invest in property etc. We have somewhere…and think it can help our retirement and do want it to be available for one of our children when the time comes. Any advice or recommendations appreciated.

Many thanks, K

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

The reason that most of the focus is on reasons why it's never a good idea to be a landlord is because it's true. I did it once and I'll never do it again - just not worth the hassle/stress and one bad tenant could destroy your investment and cost you 000s of euro.

If the mortgage is nearly paid then why not sell it and invest the money in a diversified portfolio - way less risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,487 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

When you say “being used”, are you living there?

Property prices have probably never been higher and there is always a risk they will drop. It may be worth considering selling and leaving the money aside for your child.

If you think you might want possession of your apartment in future, perhaps consider signing up to house Ukrainians, it is €800 pm tax free and as there is no tenancy, no RTB registration etc, you can end the agreement when you wish.

Knowing that there are huge challenges, and risks to being a LL, and bear in mind that if SF get elected to Government, those risks are going to greatly increase if there is a total ban on no fault evictions, do you really need the hassle at your stage of life?

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Q&A

I would crunch the numbers under the worst case scenario.

If you can afford your current lifestyle (e.g., paying your mortgage, paying into a proper pension, paying for holidays while saving for kids university fees and expenses) while paying all costs associated with maintaining the apartment, as well as the letting costs and no rental income. Add on margin to cover future unknowns and if it's still not impacting you lifestyle then maybe just maybe it might be worth some consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

There is nothing wrong with letting an apartment and it might bring in money. The first thing is to know the target market. The tenant profile is crucial. the quality of the furniture and decor can be important. A good letting agent, if you can find one is helpful. If the agent tells you that your colour scheme sucks, they are right. If the agent tells you to put in a dishwasher, put one in. A property will generally attract tenants at its own level. You won't get the dream tenant with a grubby apartment.

Let no tenant in without all paperwork in order. Check references.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Tenancies become part4 (unlimited) after 6 months occupancy and a fixed term lease eg. one year, (which used to be a typical lease) doesn't mean the tenancy will automatically end after one year. The part4 kicks in during the fixed term.

I know one owner who will only give a six month lease and he issues a 90 day termination notice before six months is up. His tenants are there for about nine months but don't get part4 rights because the NoT is served. It works for him but wouldn't suit everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭3DataModem

You are going to get a lot of advice not to do this; the main reasons people give is

(1) prices are high and will drop

(2) landlording is a lot of hassle

(3) the laws in Ireland make landlording risky

Re: 1

The fact is that compared to most western cities, the rentail yeilds on Irish residential property are extremely high. You can get a place for 300k that will give over 2000k per month easily, about 6% yield AFTER management fees and agency fees, with very little long-term capital risk. Compare this to the 2-3% you get in other major european cities, or less in Australian cities, and it is very attractive. Hence why REITs exist. If your intent is to keep the pace fairly long term, then you can deal with any drops pretty well, and with no gearing (i.e. debt) you are getting the full benefit without exposure to interest rate jeopardy.

Re: 2

The simple answer to this is GET A GOOD AGENT. By good I mean someone who will find the tenants and do all maintenence. Ideally you want a situation where a tenant doesn't have your contact details at all, and everything is done through the agent. You'll pay 8-10% of your rent (plus VAT) for this service. I strongly recommend a local agent with a physical office, and a fairly sizeable book of tenants, and hence a large stable of repairmen etc. Ideally don't pay them for each tenancy, but a flat % of all income, so they are incentivised to get good tenants. Give them a threshold for all repairs (e.g. "don't call me for anything less than 300") and you'll never have to worry about it. Anyone who tells you this is wasted money is either a terrible landlord or doesn't know what they are talking about.

Re: 3

Overholding happens, no doubt. This is the big risk. The horror stories about overholders staying a year paying nothing and the laws protecting them are true, but in my experience are much rarer than you think. Some tenants are at a higher risk of overholding than others, and a good agent can help filter them out.

Also final tip; you need to write off every stick of furniture, appliance, carpet, etc when you rent a place out. Don't expect anything to be the way you want it. Get good solid furniture that you can replace easily (my agent uses Bargaintown, solid stuff, well made, cost effective) and comfortable mattresses (so tenants are less likely to want them replaced).

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Raven_k42

Thanks guys for all the responses - and I am listening to you all. We're close to retirement and would plan to hold it - mortgage will be cleared in 15 months as we retire. This may be the only chance one of our children ever gets to have a home - thus plan to keep it. Think the good agent will be key - and understand the overholding issue (plus change of govt possibility).

Thanks, K

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭3DataModem

I've studied the manifesto of Sinn Fein pretty well in terms of their plans for property, and frankly nothing they are proposing will harm the investment any more than recent government have done with RPZs, poor enforcement, etc.

They know that more aggressive rent controls (e.g. "a one bedroom apartment must be capped at 800 per month") are probably impossible in Ireland without constitutional challenge, and are in fact aware that the RPZ are probably unconstitutional already.

Sinn Fein are basically saying four things to add to stock:

1. Vacant and derelict properties to be added to the housing stock.
    2. Forward purchasing of private sector developments which would not otherwise get built.
    3. Purchase of second-hand homes either with a HAP/RAS/RS tenant-in-situ (or vacant homes)
    4. New Building Technologies

As well as that adding rentals via "Cost rental homes" (local authorities borrowing to build / acquire)

They are proposing rent freezes for 3 years, but that's not much worse than the 2% we have now. They are then proposing index linking of all rent increases, which is reasonably fair for long-term landlords, and similar to what we have now.

They are also saying "Banning rent increases does nothing to reduce the cost of renting for tens of thousands of tenants who are paying 40% and in some cases 50% of their net disposable income on rent." hence they are proposing a 2000 per annum rent rebate for tenants, exchequer funded.

So all in all, it seems that Sinn Fein are not especially landlord-unfriendly, despite the rhetoric.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭DubCount

OP, the first question I would ask is, do you really want to become a landlord? It seems like you are just sleepwalking into the business. You say you might want the property in a few years for the kids, but is this really going to happen. Would they not need a deposit for them in stead? I would consult an independent financial advisor to see what your options to achieve your goals are - it will be the best money you ever spend.

If you are going ahead with landlording, get an agent. You dont know anything about the regulations in the business, and there are lots. Its possible to make very expensive mistakes, and an agent is not a guarantee of having no issues, but its a good start. Also, dont be the nice guy. Charge maximum rent on day 1 and any arears should be met with immediate notices - this is no industry for a soft touch.

Also consider CGT on your existing property, if you have been living in it you will get PPR relief which might be diluted after a period of rental.

Finally, beware of "temporary" measures you hear some politicians talking about. Many of these have a habit of becoming permanent. RPZ's were meant to be temporary, and do you think they will end any time soon? The same will be true of "temporary eviction bans", and "temporary rent freezes" etc. These things are easier to bring in than to abolish.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

OP i am in a similar situation to you but probably a few more years down the line. I will use my current property to retire to a place i have abroad. More than likely i will rent it out as i want to have a property here if i ever want to return. The first thing you should do is ask your children if they ever want to live in the property. I think thats the first thing you need to establish. As others have said talk to a financial advisor and a good letting agent to completely manage the property.

• Advertisement
Advertisement