Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sepsis deaths in hospitals.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

To ignore the abortion segment is rather cliched, as to ignore the deaths it has caused to the unborn is myopic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭crusd

100% agree. There does seem to be a suggestion from some commenters that mortality from sepsis is entirely preventable. Better systems will improve your chances, but your chances are not great to begin with if you are unlucky enough to develop. A 2022 report identified a 45% mortality rate for Irish hospitals. Globally the WHO says the hospital death rate from Sepsis is 27%. So we do appear to perform poorly relative to others on this measure, however the profile of the patient being a key factor. Sepsis is often ultimately the cause of death in many elderly people and people with certain cancers.

Post edited by crusd on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭volchitsa

It’s true that blood poisoning is another name for septicaemia/sepsis, but what I remember my mother calling blood poisoning (exactly what you describe) wasn’t full blown sepsis because I never had a fever or felt unwell with it.

I suspect that the explanation is that back then, there was almost no bacterial resistance to antibiotics, so that careful cleaning and disinfection was usually sufficient, and when it wasn’t, then the penicillin you’d get from the doctor as a second line of treatment was enough to fix your incipient blood poisoning.

IOW I think the present problem is greatly exacerbated by bacterial resistance to antibiotics. We had an absolute wonder drug and we carelessly wasted it.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭mykrodot

the family and the other sick people in A&E were begging staff to attend Aoife before them! The Dad said she had signs of sepsis and they mentioned that and that's why they brought her to A&E! He was ignored by the staff, the very ones that were supposed to be helping!

Pat Kenny on Newstalk is talking to someone later this morning about sepsis in hospitals and what to do (I think a Pediatric consultant). The clip they played said its important for people to recognise the signs of sepsis and get help immediately! This is exactly what Aoife's parents did! They were failed by the medical professionals, who's job it is to save lives! What a shocking waste of a beautiful young life and I say this as someone who also lost a child (unpreventable and not sepsis in my case).

Post edited by mykrodot on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,125 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Probably she was worried about tetanus aka lockjaw, which is a different disease.

Most people are now vaccinated as children, and people in at risk jobs get boosters as adults, so there's a lot less of it. But it was a big problem in my parents generation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

so difficult in this case that a GP managed to figure it out

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Not speaking about this particular case, as would be clear from the "even in the best hospital environment" qualifier.

that is because it often happens in patients who are very ill and this is a progression of the illness, the final stages

some times it is plain as day, like this case

like any illness really its guessing game until confirmed by the scientists and in this case, because it multiple things, theres no real test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

And of course other countries don't have old people or people with cancer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,836 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

It's shocking that when the ED in Limerick was so busy, two consultants refused to come to work to help.

We pay these people huge money, more than other countries, and they won't work.

https://www.thejournal.ie/aoife-johnston-death-inquest-6361296-Apr2024/?utm_source=shortlink

"She said Aoife Johnston and these 66 other seriously ill patients were waiting more than ten hours to see a doctor when the recommend standard waiting time for Category Two patients was “15 minutes”.

She said she telephoned an on-call consultant and told him of the risks to patients and asked him to come to the emergency department, but she said, “he declined my request”.

Another consultant initially declined to come to the ED but arrived later on."

Earning up to 240k, on-call, simply refuses to work.

yeah but you don't need a consultant necessarily to treat everyone in the ED

• Registered Users Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Nobody wants to turn up at A&E if they can help it, you make it sound like people are doing it for the craic. Who are these people you're referring to as having an air of self importance, and 'forcing' their way into A&E?

How you can be so dismissive of someone seeking emergency treatment because they are genuinely scared, when this young woman is in the news for being the victim of gross negligence, is truly perplexing. I'm guessing you must be a front line worker to which you have my sympathy, but you're blaming the wrong people for what's currently happening in our health system.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

drink and drugs a major factor in the ED problem. Anywhere you can wander on foot to the hospital its an issue

james for example is like a zombie film at the weekends

in many ways its worse than the ludicrous wait times

injury units are a great idea and concentrating the EDs in the big hospitals make sense, but they are closed when you need them

so everyone ends up in ED

if you are lucky to break your arm or get stabbed at 10am its grand, but it never seems to work out that way

• Advertisement

It seems the figures I had for 2022 were incorrect. Mortality rates below WHO rates and comparable with similar countries

have you first hand experience that EDs are full up with old people in need of palliative care?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭political analyst

Surely, a case that has signs of possible sepsis or meningitis would have to be prioritised over someone only has a broken bone or a slipped disc or some other injury as a result of slipping on ice - one of the reasons for the overcrowding at the time of Aoife's death.

From what I read in the Sunday Indo recently, a consultant who refused to come in at the time wasn't told that there was a possible case of sepsis in the ED.

He wasn't told at the time that there was a possible case of sepsis in the hospital.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

Is s/he your chosen scape goat?

From the initial report:

"Overcrowding was now effectively endemic at UHL’s emergency department.

Further, there was only one emergency department consultant on call over the weekend that Ms Johnston was brought for treatment.

It also found that, over that weekend, there were not enough nurses and medical staff on roster to cater for the large number of patients seeking treatment."

So it seems that one consultant covered the ED over the entire weekend - you cannot expect them to be there uninterrupted over the full 48 hours - if only to give them a break to eat and use the toilet. Hardly refusing to work

Was the consultant that the CNM called even an ED consultant? (It appears she called 2, there was only 1 on call, so at least one of them wasn't required to be available)

But if we can blame an individual doctor (or nurse) then we can safely ignore the systemic (and it seems endemic) issues at play.

66 other patients we all triaged as category 2 - Emergency (to be seen within 15 minutes). The only higher level is category 1, which which Immediate (eg someone in cardiac or respiratory arrest). Slipped discs and uncomplicated broken bones would have been triaged lower and all 67 category 2 patients would be prioritised over them.

In category 2, what could possibly be more serious than a suspected case of either sepsis or meningitis?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,868 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

My mother was meant to be getting a transfer to another hospital a few weeks ago. Expecting a taxpayer funded ambulance but a charity (which I will not name) showed up to do the transfer. Apparently it's the done thing from time to time for our HSE to rely on charities to do their work, which in itself is an absolute disgrace. Top notch work by the charity I should add

Given the numbers in the ED, he should have helped out.

https://www.irishtimes.com/crime-law/courts/2024/04/23/aoife-johnston-inquest-limerick-hospital-was-not-a-safe-environment-for-patients-on-night-teen-died/

There were 191 patients in the emergency department

15 nurses on duty along with three doctors - one SHO and two registrars.

Category Two patients that weekend were waiting upto 19 hours.

A less-ill Category Three Patient faced a wait time of up to 39 hours.

Sounds like a situation that would warrant an emergency response plan to be activated - except it seems that the situation was also not exceptional at UHL

This is a massive failure at the highest levels of management in UHL and the HSE. Individual doctors and nurses are overwhelmed and working in a toxic environment. They don't deserve to be blamed, even if, as I'm sure the inquest will show, there were shortcomings in their management.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I survived sepsis a few years , I went to my GP with what I thought was a bad flu , after a preliminary test I was given a letter and told to go to AE .

Within two minutes if arriving in hospital I was admitted and placed in resus. Couldn’t tell about the first 24 hrs , other than I woke up with drips in both arms.

I was lucky , spending only a shot time in hospital however have damage to my liver and there was concerns over my kidneys and heart.

My GP said she reckoned I was within 12 hours of dying if I hadn’t seen her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

The more I hear reported on this case, the more shocking it gets. A major failure of our health system. You'd really feel for the parents, stuck in there with their very sick daughter, asking for help and getting little response. Blaming themselves when blameless, for not shouting louder - trusting a system which was failing miserably. And the staff who were deeply affected and left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭thomas 123

UHL will never change, they seem to love having 1 doctor on over the weekend in the ED.

I attended a night there was a terrible car accident(Involving 2 people) out in west limerick as I was directed to by my doctor. Nobody, out of 4 of us in ED were seen that night(7pm - 4am(I left at 4am)). There was one elderly lady awaiting seeing the doctor at that time also.

I said at the time, what in the name of god would happen if an actual serious incident occurred, eg a mass casualty event or even a car crash involving 4 people who needed urgent care. Its a farce.

Its bizarre to me that such a large building, with such a large catchment area can be dependent on so few staff all of the time. Of course the HSE will paint this as not the norm, but I am sure we will have enough anecdotes here to prove otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭thomas 123

This Facebook page, among others, proves that Limerick A&E loves operating the way it does for whatever reason.

https://www.facebook.com/MidWestHospitalCampaign

EG:
    "

𝑻𝒉𝒊𝒔 𝒘𝒆𝒆𝒌𝒔 𝒕𝒓𝒐𝒍𝒍𝒆𝒚 𝒘𝒂𝒕𝒄𝒉 𝒇𝒊𝒈𝒖𝒓𝒆𝒔

𝙏𝙝𝙞𝙨 𝘾𝙖𝙢𝙥𝙖𝙞𝙜𝙣 𝙩𝙖𝙠𝙚𝙨 𝙖𝙣 𝙖𝙫𝙚𝙧𝙖𝙜𝙚 𝙤𝙛 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙬𝙚𝙚𝙠𝙡𝙮 𝙩𝙤𝙩𝙖𝙡 𝙩𝙤 𝙚𝙨𝙩𝙞𝙢𝙖𝙩𝙚 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙎𝙖𝙩𝙪𝙧𝙙𝙖𝙮 𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝙎𝙪𝙣𝙙𝙖𝙮 𝙛𝙞𝙜𝙪𝙧𝙚𝙨.Figures have been counted by Irish Nurses and Midwives Organisation (INMO) who count Monday - Friday. INMO have been counting trolley figures since 2004 and have been universally accepted. "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

My wife nearly died from sepsis 3 yrs ago, she went in for a hysterectomy and came home after a day recovering. She started feeling sick so we went back in to hospital. It was during covid so I was sent home again. I thought she was dehydrated and a night with a drip would sort it out.

I got a phone call in the morning to come in quickly to see her as she was being rushed in for a emergency operation. They had to put a colostomy on to save her life. She was mere hrs from death, if we left it any longer when we went back in she would have died. When we looked for answers they circled the wagons and tried to say she had the infection before the hysterectomy.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭tarvis

having spent time with ill people in A&E there is something I can’t figure out. On entry to the area one gives all details to the receptionist name address age et etc and pays the required fee . The paperwork is thus done and dusted.

However if one gets a trolley near the nurses station office one can watch what’s going on. Many staff - doctors and nurses glued to a line of computer screens - what exactly are they filling in?
    Are bureaucratic tick boxes taking up their time and attention?

Are they looking up a disease on DrGoogle

It seems the bureaucracy has achieved supremacy over sick people and I’s must be dotted and T’s must be crossed before something as mundane as temperatures, blood pressures and patients voices are sought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭csirl

The 191 patients waiting = €19,100 in additional income for the hospital for a single night. Surely they could afford the additional staff? Especially given that the rostered staff are paid by the HSE?

Crowded A&E = more income, which should translate into more doctors on duty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Reviewing and updating patient records perhaps.

It's the sort of accurate, up to date information that is vital to being able to properly manage patient care and prioritise patients who need to be prioritised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,731 ✭✭✭✭L1011

A huge % of those attending A&E are either not required to pay (GP referral, medical card) or just don't pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Anytime I've been the ER I've thought the same.

I remember another time a nurse kept filling out something on the door. Then I realised they were filling out that the patient in the room was checked, when they never ever entered the room..

I don't buy that. You don't need to see a patient for 5 mins and spend hours doing paperwork. Something wrong if that's the case.

On that day in December 2022, why did UHL not tell Dr James Gray that there was a suspected case of sepsis in the ED?

It being that busy in ED wasn't enough of a justification for him to go in because it was always busy - he's not Superman!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I think this situation is very nuanced and I imagine there is similar risk every week in UHL and beyond. I was in A&E Galway recently and it was absolutely chaotic with a severe shortage of beds and staff. We were in the A&E for over a week and my relation never got to a ward bed even though we were officially "admitted".

Lack of bed capacity and medical staff is a major factor.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2024/0425/1445591-johnston-inquest/

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

Writing clinical notes, booking/reviewing scans and bloods, reviewing previous patient letters, contacting relevant teams, prescriptions etc. A doctor will have multiple active patients on their caseload and doing all the above in between seeing patients while awaiting investigations.

As a doctor who covers ED any of my non-patient facing tasks are generally all related to the care of the patients on my caseload. Just because we're not standing in front of a patient does not mean we aren't carrying out tasks relevant to their care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,113 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

There are about 3,000 deaths per year from sepsis in Ireland, population 5m. In Australia there are 5,000 deaths for a Population of 26.4m, not 15,000 which would be the case if it was a medical hell-hole like Ireland. Ireland is very far away from having a 'best' or remotely adequate hospital environment.

Stop trying to make out that the death rate is anything remotely normal just because the condition is deadly, when the death rate shows that the way the health system operates in this coauntry is appalling, like so many things.

A clear case of taking one dataset telling one thing and another telling a different thing and saying they are comparable.

When you google deaths in Australia due to sepsis the first report is on 5,000 deaths from 18,000 admissions to ICU, a mortality rate of 28%

For Ireland when you have a cursory look at the sepsis reports you see 3,000 deaths and you conclude "Ireland bad".

But when you actually look at the Sepsis reports you see in 2022 Ireland had 3,718 people admitted to critical care with sepsis and a mortality rate of 34.9% equating to 1,298 deaths. The total figure of 3,000 includes those not admitted to ICU.

The total deaths in Australia due to sepsis seems hard to find, probably due to sepsis often being the ultimate cause of death in cancers and other diseases. Its likely far higher than 5,000 though. A data set I did find had it at 12,000 in 2018

So, stop cheery picking "Ireland Bad" data without making any effort to see is what you are asserting actually matches reality.

Ireland's record is not great in this respect and improvements could definitely be made, but our hospital mortality rates are comparable with similar countries contrary to the "Ireland is a third world country brigade"

Great unless it's time critical. Which is often the case in A&E

I'm not blaming the staff. I'm saying the process is broken, under resourced etc.

I agree with you on the latter point, however patients often take issue with seeing me or my colleagues sitting at a computer inferring that we're doing nothing when in fact we're doing tasks relevant to the care of our patients. That includes time-critical tasks (for eg getting an urgent chest x ray for a patient in respiratory distress, ordering cultures for a suspected sepsis, reading previous letters to identify necessary information for this critically unwell patient with a complex medical background that I've never met before).

Two weeks ago I had a call put through to my personal phone number by the hospital at 2AM while covering both ED and the wards. "Hi I'm looking for the doctor". I replied "Yes that's me" to which the person said "Just checking to see if there's actually a doctor there" and then hung-up. It was the relative of a patient in the ED waiting room.

I was 17 hours into a 24h shift with no sleep, I hadn't eaten since 11am the day before and had a full emergency department under my care as well as 2 wards juggling everything. The narrative that the doctor on-call is sitting around doing nothing when in actual fact they are drowning in work and clinical risk is soul-destroying when you are that doctor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭tarvis

Surely something is seriously wrong if on one hand a doctor works 17 hrs without rest , is unable to take meals and juggles a full emergency Dept plus 2 wards while on the other hand seriously ill people referred to hospital by their GPS and deemed emergencies at triage are not even seen by a doctor for more than 12 hours.
    Isn’t it obvious that something is very wrong with the paper trail/ computer system within which they are expected to work.
    Something is very wrong when the most important piece of information - sepsis- doesn’t seem to get past the hallway much less onto a computer screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭csirl

This is poor management. 3 x doctors for 180+ patients? Even with half the number of patients is still too few. Do the maths on each doctor spending at least 15min per patient.

At some stage there needs to be some accountability for hospital managers for poor planning/staff allocation. Especially considering the amount of money hospitals are given by the exchequer to deliver these services - there's no shortage of funds. €1m, which is small change for a hospital of this size, would get them 4 x consultants.

You're correct there is something wrong- staffing. No amount of IT streamlining or work process improvements is going to get around the fact we simply do not have enough staff. The result of this systemic failure is that individual clinicians are forced to bear excessive clinical risk and will be hung out to dry when error happens as a result of that inadequate staffing.

Without knowing the specifics from this case, my experience is that consultants are typically on a 1 in 3ish rota, which means they work a full 9-5 followed then by 16h off-site call into the next morning where they they continue their next 9-5 shift. On weekends they will typically be on-call for the entire weekend. During this time the expectation is they come in for an emergency/complex case and that they're available for telephone advice (which is frequent).

In this case the consultant was asked to come in due to the volume of patients in the ED and declined. There was subsequently an avoidable bad outcome. On the surface I think it's easy to blame the consultant but that ignores the systemic issues at play. If the consultant in UHL was expected to come in and work 36h on site every 3 days because the ED consistently has a high volume of patients they would make many more fatigue-induced errors, would be utterly useless in a critical emergency (like team-leading an arrest or major trauma) and quickly would be off on long-term sick or quit due to having no semblance of a life by working such hours. In this case the consultant has borne an unfair degree of clinical risk due to systemic short staffing and a system which will not provide enough staff to safely manage their ED 24/7 but will hang them out to dry when an inevitable bad outcome occurs.

I suppose I'm just coming at this from the opposite end because I read the excerpts from the staff accounts that night and see that it could very easily be me. I'm a good doctor but even the best doctor in the world is just one person and cannot work safely and prevent avoidable harm if you're one of 3 people staffing an ED overnight with 190 patients and 60 category 2 patients which are meant to be seen within 30 min.

Like I said my issue is not the staff.

But the fact remains of not seeing a doc for 12 hrs and being seen 2-3 times in 24 hrs, while people moving paper means the system is not fit for purpose. I've spent days in A&E either myself or with family members sometimes in life and death situations.

I think people have forgotten how it's meant to work. But this isn't it.

My question is not that consultants refuse to come in. But what has happened before this to cause them to refuse. There are systemic issues here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement