Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,984 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

De Zerbi reminds me a lot of Eddie Howe at Bournemouth. Plays one way no matter the opposition or personnel available to him and gets praised for "giving it a go" even when a more pragmatic approach may have been more successful.

That being said I admire his style and think he could do a lot better if given a better squad than Brighton's (though I'd rather another team take a punt on him than us)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,546 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Getting a manager in without having to pay a 17m buyout would be an Edwards thing to do, but sometimes being the Moneyball King backfires, especially when it's a manager, not a player. When a whole season is accounted for, and it comes in at a 9m loss, one can see why you'd try to get in the black the next season with shrewd dealings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,306 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Don't we do the same under klopp? Plan A is plan A.2

His midfield was gutted, no real replacements and he's managed to drop only a couple places. Look at the squad like, it's fairly poor.

Your getting less and less of these pragmatic managerial types, these days. They have a style of play and stick with it.

I wouldn't be disappointed with him, but everything will feel like a downgrade whoever we hire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,597 ✭✭✭brevity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

”Feel like”? It will be a downgrade. Unless it’s Pep or Ancelotti it’s a step downwards, to some extent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Adidas > Nike for quality I reckon, so I would prefer them 100%.

Whichever pays the club the most money will get the big and most important thing there really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,984 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

As long as it's red I'm good.

I do miss the hideous Warrior away kits though; tribal tats, wetsuits

And whatever the hell these were

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Jota out for another 2 weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭jones

FFS the Jota news is exactly what we didn't need. He really is injury prone isn't he.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

At what point do we just lose all patience with Jota and sell?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭McFly85

Probably when we have other strikers who can actually finish

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

Felt it was unlikely he’d start again tomorrow after Fulham and just coming back from injury but the fact Jota injured again is unbelievable.

Thats now Salah, Szobo, Jota, Trent who returned from injury and almost immediately injured again. You can argue Trent’s was unlucky and he’s foot stuck in ground but there’s pattern evident now we are not properly managing the recovery of these players.

Both Salah and Szobo were looking sharp even in the first game back from injury but have looked way off form since they have the 2nd injury soon after having lost all rhythm. Jota was just back in goals and out again for 2 weeks is 3 of 5 remaining games .

I'll flip this around and ask will we see a different Jota if the new manager does not have a high emphasis on pressing, running & transitions? Maybe he, and others, are breaking down because of the training style. It's not something we really like to hear but with the incoming change it can probably be said more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,411 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

@_pauljoyce

Feyenoord coach Arne Slot interesting Liverpool.

The Feyenoord head coach Arne Slot has emerged as a leading candidate in Liverpool’s search for a replacement for Jürgen Klopp.

The 45-year-old led Feyenoord to success in the KNVB Cup final last weekend and has compiled a strong body of work in the Netherlands, having led the club to their first Eredivisie title in six years in the 2022-23 season.

In addition, Slot’s ability to improve players and his aggressive, high-octane playing style are attributes that would appeal to Liverpool’s kingmakers.

His Anfield ascension is far from a done deal and Liverpool are continuing to discuss other contenders as well, while managerial vacancies at Bayern Munich, Barcelona and AC Milan this summer complicate matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I think there will be a huge over hall this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

If it is him I just hope he's not as useless as the ETH and is actually able for the step up in demands.

There is one paragraph in that Joyce article that stood out to me;

"Hughes remains in situ at Bournemouth as technical director and will move to Merseyside at the end of the season. He has followed Feyenoord’s progress, having signed Marcos Senesi from them for £12million in August 2022. Hughes also signed Luis Sinisterra on loan from Leeds United last summer, with the winger previously coming to prominence at Feyenoord."

Does Joyce have direct info (which to be fair, he usually does) or is he trying to create a stir based on just these few facts. Is this a case of mis-direction from the club to have everyone looking this way while they work in the background on someone else? Which has happened in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,990 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Jota FFS

Its a disaster.

Huge overhauls are not very regular occurances. Especially for a club who have performed better in the previous season and on the way up. The midfield was overhauled last summer, because midfield was ignored for so long in previous years with only one midfielder signed in 7 or 8 transfer windows or whatever it was. There doesn't need to be a huge overhaul in defence or attack this summer, just tweaks.

And before someone jumps in with the usual Nunez shite, or saying Gakpo, Diaz, Jota aint good enough or reliable enough. Liverpool have scored more goals than Man City this season, and over 30 more goals than each of Arsenal & Aston Villa. There is enough goals in the team at the moment. The idea would be to get those goals scored again, but better timed and spread out throughout the season. But that is not possible. It's theoretical.

The ETH comparison is actually a very worrying one for me. At least ETH had a few title wins under his belt and did well in Europe with Ajax. He had some sort of credentials behind him but couldn't step up to a bigger club and league. Similar to Frank de Boer. Arne Slot doesn't really have the same credentials behind him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭klose

From a brief look from chatter online he seems to have got Feyenoord back challenging for honours, a league, a cup last weekend and got them to the europa conference final in its inaugural year. But he’s bald and Dutch so he’s obviously gonna be compared to ETH.

I imagine it’s a fairly data driven appointment process, perhaps how he plays with them suits the players we have here and coming through? Who knows. Klopps successor is always going to be a big downgrade in any case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭fyfe79

I heard the Jota news at the same time I heard that Cole Palmer is likely to miss Chelsea's game against Arsenal tonight with illness. It's been the story of our season, really - our players dropping like flies, while Arsenal and City have very few injuries, while Arsenal especially seem to play every team while that team is missing their best player(s) either through illness, suspension, missed the bus etc. It's a bit comical at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,306 ✭✭✭✭rob316

From what I read of Slot he is nothing like ten hag. Totally transformed feyenoord on a tiny budget, plays a very similar style of football to us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,808 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I have no clue on which manager would suit us best, so will not try to predict or get excited or upset when we are linked with managers I did not know existed before Klopp announced he is leaving. It is interesting that we were quite good at controlling the flow of information from within the club the past few years with a settled team and very little leaking from them. But with a new manager search all of a sudden it opens up so many more new sources that these new candidates have that may leak news.

Add in journalists that will speak among themselves and look at 2 and 2 and get to 8, it will be tiring I suspect for the next few months. Still don't know who you can trust in England for Liverpool news, seems like you still have a few chancers with their exclusives that you don't know where it came from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Jota was eased back and still broke down.

Scores 72nd minute and taken off in the 74th? He didn't look injured tbf

Major concern.

There's question marks around every single one of our front 5 at the moment

3 Massive games out of 5 he'll miss then.

Everything seems to be against us atm

Just seen the team news for match tonight . That’s a depleted Chelsea side missing their star man so any upset looks massively unlikely. This was one top 2 games I saw arsenal dropping points but I’d expect them to turn that Chelsea team handy .

Similar to Villa fielding a complete B team Vs City , these crucial game keep falling favourably for City/Arsenal in terms of injuries and player availability. Arsenal get over tonight we are really running out games where they were slip up now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,146 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

It's just a thing that happens really… any time a player is out for a prolonged period of time, they're always very likely to pick up little niggles as they go back to peak work-load - and usually not on the area that was previously injured. It's all the other muscles and ligaments that are more at risk.

In this case it's his hip that's causing a problem, whereas what kept him out the past few months was a knee injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I'm terms of journalists to trust, I think Paul Joyce, Neil Jones, James Pearce, David Ornstein and Chris Bascombe are all pretty reliable

Ornstein is a little keen on an "exclusive" so may jump the gun a little. Pearce used to basically be an unofficial mouthpiece for the club so anything he says is, I think, half approved by them. Joyce is probably the best, doesn't say a lot but it's normally well informed when he does

But all are likely to run a story the club ask them to, and I'm sure the club have their own agenda at play sometimes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭decies

Games are running out we need to start seeing arsenal tonight and CIty soon to drop points .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,633 ✭✭✭Damien360

Arsenal going to batter Chelsea tonight. First goal and Rice made that goal. He really is the key for them. City will win the league, I think third is the best we get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Chelsea not trying a leg... Derby game my ae5e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,597 ✭✭✭brevity

Random comment from a Feyenoord fan on a Reddit thread:

"Condition and stamina is key, very high pressure, high backline, he used both normal wingbacks and inverted wingbacks, cdm drops down in possesion, wingers usually lefty on the right and a righty on the left. His biggest ability imo is he can read games like no other. Players always praise him that everything he prepares before a game with what the opposition is going to do comes true. I'll add on to this comment later, need to reevaluate my life without him for a bit.

Edit: the amount of times we turned a game around is mental. Also incredible at keeping the whole squad happy, cant remember ever hearing anyone complain in 3 years. He's amazing with the media never heard him say anything weird or strange. A few weeks ago he was at Rondo a football program in The Netherlands with the likes of Ruud Gullit and Marco van Basten. Slot gave a masterclass about some subjects and they both were looking at Slot like he's their teacher. Man i hope he doesn't go but if it's any other club I would' ve chosen Liverpool its a perfect fit imo.

here's some Slotball"

Other comments suggest he's really good with the press, is popular with the fans and is an all round decent person.

I'm waiting for more YouTube analysis videos. Because I'm weird.

In a cruel irony, Feyenoord could actually finish this year on more points than the year they won the league. So he will have experience of having an excellent season but still come second 👀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

I think arsenal really deserve to win this lge wether they do or not is another thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭giveitholly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I hope they don't win it on goal difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 785 ✭✭✭patsy sally

Just in from training not a bit surprised to see arsenal are battering chelsea,here's hoping we can do similar tomorrow night but at least get the 3 points

Unfortunately that Chelsea lineup was never getting anything out of this game. People saying Arsenal will definitely going to drop points but just dont see it myself now they don’t have CL to contend with. They not conceding , scoring plenty.

City still don’t look 100% like the relentless machine in the past so Arsenal have a real shout. I just dread the possibility of losing the league on GD if we manage to win all our games too.

• Advertisement

if we don’t win it I rather the cheaters win it won’t feel so bad then . But at least let us win out .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Huge biunce back by Arsenal to the Villa defeat and CL knockout. They have a lot of self-belief. I also think that City will drop points (as will we). I'm tilting towards Arsenal winning the league. Chelsea are a shambles of a club. Think they'll probably get rid of Poch at the end of the season.

'Deserve' is always a weird thing to argue, but I do think they've played the best and most exciting football this season. Far more entertaining to watch than Man City. Have also scored the most goals, and conceded the fewest, which is usually the mark of a deserving champion.

Yeah, fair enough, but that's obviously not a thing that can be determined until the season is over. So in talking about where the league is right now we obviously have to pick from criteria other than 'winner'. (and of course as well as being top scorers, best defenders, and most exciting to watch, they are also currently top).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Chelsea were never going to do it tonight.

It was always Spurs or United who had any chance. And it's unlikely.

Oof, I can't bring myself to hold out any hope for United getting anything… away to Spurs is my one real - and still unlikely - hope.

Arsenal will finish below City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Probably, in yet another stolid display from a bloody horrible to watch crunching machine of cheating domination.

Tbh the fact we're still in the conversation at this stage is nuts considering the quality of the other two, and where we were a year ago.

• Advertisement
Advertisement