Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,375 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Is much Russian mail handled by An Post?

yet these same schools and ages are seen a fit time and place to learn about Hitler and the Holocaust. What’s the difference here?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,091 ✭✭✭Odhinn

A rather disgusting defence of people being beaten to death and others being killed by being deprived of their medication.

There are paralells with the Dunnes stores workers many years ago.

You may have missed this earlier in the thread -

"The Israeli military’s bombing campaign in Gaza used a previously undisclosed AI-powered database that at one stage
    identified 37,000 potential targets based on their apparent links to
    Hamas, according to intelligence sources involved in the war.

In addition to talking about their use of the AI system, called Lavender,
    the intelligence sources claim that Israeli military officials permitted
    large numbers of Palestinian civilians to be killed, particularly
    during the early weeks and months of the conflict."

"Two sources said that during the early weeks of the war they were
    permitted to kill 15 or 20 civilians during airstrikes on low-ranking
    militants
    . Attacks on such targets were typically carried out using
    unguided munitions known as “dumb bombs”, the sources said, destroying
    entire homes and killing all their occupants."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/apr/03/israel-gaza-ai-database-hamas-airstrikes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,199 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Here's a hot take: the number of civilians killed matters.

Let's go to the extremes. The most evil regimes in history are the ones that killed the most civilians. That's the benchmark for how evil a regime is. No-one ever looks at a government that committed no crimes and goes "they're really evil". We even use it for individuals. Mass murderers and serial killers are more evil because they kill more people.

Let's go to the other end then. If the number of civilians killed by Israel doesn't matter, then the crimes of hamas don't matter.

See how ridiculous that argument is? Civilian deaths matter. they are each innocent people killed. And the fact that you don't care of 10 or 100, or 1000, or 10,000 or 100,000 civilians are killed says everything we need to know about you.

BTW, they weren't prepared for a Hamas attack. It's been 6 months and Hamas are still there so they obviously weren't prepared to attack Hamas. As for equiped, I'll give you that. they have gone through billions and billions in weapons and they still ahven't won. And as for more motivated? Do you mean more motivated to kill civilians? Or do you mean the fact that they don't care about civilians means they're more motivated?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,912 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Cordell

Hot take? No, it's just ignorant, one sided and quite evil. Israel is not trying to kill more civilians and they are not to blame for the higher number of civilian casualties. Hamas is the one to blame, they are the ones hiding among civilians and using them as human shields.

White phosphorus is banned as a weapon, but not as a smoke screen.

So it's legal to drop it in a field to provide cover but it's illegal to drop on civilians or even soldiers with the intent to harm.

Now there is the question of whether it's legal to drop it on a densely populated area to use as a smoke screen since civilians will probably be hurt. I'm not a lawyer but I'd say it probably is. It's a war crime to perform an action that knowingly hurts civilians even if it's targeting the enemy.

It's back to the accusations that Hamas use human shields. That's illegal under international law. But if Israel bomb hamas when they're using human shields and they know the civilians are there, then Israel are committing a war crime.

So in the case of white phosphorus, I'd say there are definitely times Israel have used it and it's legal and almost certainly times they've used it when it's been illegal. Because let's face it, they don't seem to actually care about collateral damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,393 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Nonsense.

Is China under international sanctions for the way they treat millions of Ughyers?

But I never knew that one cannot receive or send a letter to Russia because of sanctions…

The fact is, people see the only Jewish state as 'different' to the rest and must be treated 'different' to the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Why should that information be discussed in schools? This wouldn't be the usual procedure would it? I don't recall discussions about the Gulf war when I was in primary school at the time, or the Iraq invasion after 9/11. No, we just followed the curriculum and got on with things. Why is this different?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Boycotting products is different from refusing to handling mail. It’s a country, not everyone there would even agree with the war or the government. It’s a basic service that everyone is entitled to. I find it more troubling that people think these types of things are acceptable.

Post edited by Potatoeman on

Hang on a second. I say that civilians shouldn't be killed and you're calling me evil? Really?

I am willing to condemn the killing of civilians and say it's bad. I don't care who does it.

You're only willing to condemn it if one side does it.

And I'm evil.

Jesus wept.

These people were already behind bars in many cases. You do realise that literally thousands of palestinians are detained without trial? A practice that well predates the Oct 7th attack.

why, yes, they are, why didn’t you check before flapping?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-56487162.amp

Quite the off topic whataboutery.

Is much Russian mail handled by An Post?

Yes.

yet these same schools and ages are seen a fit time and place to learn about Hitler and the Holocaust. What’s the difference here?

Isn't it obvious?

WWII happened more than 80 years ago and there has been plenty of time to come up and revise the content for an agreed-upon curriculum to be taught in schools.

This conflict is happening now and a bunch of people want to use it to push a political agenda in schools.

That is the difference.

….you don’t recall???? I certainly do. While it had not made it to the textbooks yet or by extension the curricula, there were indeed myriad discussions about it, Shiite Muslims, planes legging over in Shannon, etc etc.

Your poor memory or insular experience is noted I guess.

Do you mean they sanctioned a few individuals, not the entire country?

Not the same thing is it?

The sanctions, including travel bans and asset freezes, target senior officials in Xinjiang who have been accused of serious human rights violations against Uighur Muslims.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,912 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

About as bad as the way LGBT+ folks are treated by the palestinians so. No sympathy from here.

Bollocks. School is a grand place to discuss contemporary issues. Plenty of examples of it. Students aren’t oblivious to the world around them, just as in my day lessons were routinely contextualized with what was going on in Iraq and Afghanistan and Post 9/11

Please quantify how much Russian mail An Post handles vs. Russian mail. Justify this off topic whataboutery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,812 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

There's a difference between 'discussing contemporary issues' and the drive that flyer is pushing to promote a particular angle in schools throughout the country.

I didn't call you evil. Maybe I shouldn't have used it at all, but my point was that it is evil wrong to condemn a country that is just trying to prevent any more attacks on its civilians by any means necessary. Israel should not stop until its population is safe, and at the moment it isn't. Organizations like Hamas and Hezbollah are still active, and also hostile countries like Iran are still a threat. Hostages are still held by Palestinians. Hamas rockets are still flying - that became so normalized it's not even in the news anymore.

It is wrong to use any means necessary. It would be wrong to drop biological or chemical weapons. it would be wrong to drop a nuke. It would be wrong to starve millions.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Unfortunately I have not the slightest problem in comprehending Israel's actions. It's wanton killing for the sake of assuaging the blood lust of the settler factions Netenyahu needs onside to stay in power. Genocide, because we hate those inferior Palestinian scum. An accelleration of the kill them, or drive them out, and take their land and homes policy that has held sway since the state of Israel was formed.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭scottser

Well now. You might believe such utter lies but please don't assume the rest of us are as trenchantly ignorant of the basic facts of the situation as you are. The IDF has admitted that there are an acceptable number of civilian casualties when taking out a suspected Hamas target. It could be up to 1,000 to take out one suspect. Why do you think they were using 1,000 lb bombs? Civilian casualties don't mean anything to Israel, because Israel do not see Palestinians as human.

And while casualties are usually inevitable in war, protagonists on both sides are bound to do their utmost to limit civilian deaths. The people Israel weren't allowed to bomb or shoot, they are starving to death instead.

I don't know if you just don't see the lack of logic or you do see it but you're arguing in bad faith.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

That's just infantile logic tbh, 'by any means necessary', really?? You've just justified wiping out the state of Israel to make Palestinian lives safer, well done.

Its madness how many of the extreme Israel supporters have Hamas logic in their heads, they just happen to be on the other side. Like the other guy sayings it's fine that Palestinian detainees were beaten to death, sickening.

So how does Israel using blackmail to turn gay Palestinian into informers sit with you?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

No, it's not. It is lawful to use WP against personnel and equipment both. It's extremely unpleasant, and so most Western nations tend to restrict its use as a matter of general policy for political purposes and its unlawfulness has turned into something of a common myth as a result, but there is no convention which prohibits its use in such a manner.

There may have been times Israel used it unlawfully, but no more or less so than any potentially unlawful use on any other weapon such as bombs which fall under generally the same rules of responsibility to minimise civilian casualties. The one exception is the use of air delivered incendiaries on military targets within concentrations of civilians, those are blanket prohibited under protocol III of the Convention on Certain Conventional Weapons (same convention which covers booby traps, coincidentally). Since I haven't seen a single reference, however, to WP being delivered by any form of Israeli aircraft, that specific prohibition does not apply.

• Advertisement

define safe. Until everyone else is dead? Half? 100,000? A million?

Advertisement