Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship 2024 (Munster And Leinster Championships,Liam McCarthy Cup)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Definitely wasn't a joke. Professional sport is, you interview for jobs, you get jobs, and you get paid. Different world. The point is about ambition, never mind anything else. Big difference between living and managing your local sides in an amateur sport v going around the world, changing your sport in the middle of your life, and taking on professional jobs against other professional outfits.
    If you don't understand the difference between McGuinness and every other manager in the GAA, I can't help you understand that. You can compare Kiely, another manager with McGuinness, but I don't think Kiely is going to get his UEFA Badges any time soon and enter the world of professional soccer. Kinnerk hasn't even taken on the hotseat in the GAA yet.

McGuinness took a team with one all ireland in their history and won an all ireland - only team to beat Dublin in championship in Gavin's time, I think. That would be like someone taking over London or Laois and winning the all-ireland and beating a team like Limerick with massive budget advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,627 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Kinnerk won't "take the hot seat" because it's not his area of expertise, he is not a team manager. He is highly regarded in sports science and is much more than an assistant manager or whatever.

I think it was the 23 All Ireland final Hurling Podcast where Skehill goes into Kinnerk's professional life. It's worth a listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭Rosita

I would consider McGuinness's achievement with Donegal the greatest single achievement in Gaelic Games in my limited time following. So would give him all due credit.

But......…I'd not be sure Donegal winning the 2012 All Ireland was really a longer shot than Limerick winning the hurling in 2018. Donegal were Ulster Champions and All Ireland semi-finalists in 2011. Not a bad starting point. In 2017 Limerick lost to Clare and in Nowlan Park to Kilkenny team that had scored just 1-4 from play in 70+ minutes against Wexford.

I will admit I did know one good judge who could not, for some reason, see beyond Limerick at the start of the 2018 championship so maybe it was my own unlimited heartbreak affecting my thinking.

But McGuinness must get a lot of credit for his achievement. As regards his professional sports life, really and truly getting those positions in sports where he was up against professionals with experience was his achievement and was fair going. Lots of good managers have gotten the boot in professional sports. I wouldn't judge him too harshly on that.

Post edited by Rosita on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭shockframe

I would if you were using September 2010 as the starting point.

Going into 2011 I doubt anyone even in Donegal outside of Mcguinness would have believed you if you said the current Donegal team would win an All Ireland. They weren't on anyones radar at the time.

I wouldn't have had Limerick as All Ireland winners in 2018 but there was 2 Minor Final appearances and 2 Under 21 All Irelands won by September 2017. Limerick didn't really come out of nowhere like Donegal.

And the top teams (Kilkenny,Tipp,Galways) were nearing the end when they made the breakthrough. Dublin, Mayo had just 'arrived' for Donegal.

No doubting Limericks achievements but Donegal 2012 was astonishing.

Post edited by shockframe on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,154 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Just after seeing that Clare vs Cork will be on GAA Go, Surely that's the best hurling game of the weekend, Kilkenny and Galway will probably meet again in the Leinster Final and it's very unlikely Tipp beat Limerick. Pity the game likely to be the best is behind the paywall.

• Advertisement

But is that not the whole point of the pay wall? Put the one people will pay to watch behind it?

Yes, that's a fair comment. From his original starting point McGuinness's All Ireland win is unrivalled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

The eulogising of this kinnerk guy is becoming nauseating……he is part of a back room team of an amateur sport suggesting he gets a big ‘gig’ at some other international sport is totally delusional

• Registered Users Posts: 14,559 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,271 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Think we're getting a 'shock or 2' this weekend

Munster could be open even further

What would constitute 2 shocks?

The only possible one in Munster would be Tipp beating Limerick

Or are you saying Carlow/Antrim could beat Dublin/Wexford?

Could see Antrim beating Wexford before I'd see Carlow beating Dublin

That's possible in Munster but I wouldn't rule out 2 draws

I really think those are pie-in-the-sky hopes in Leinster

2 draws wouldn’t be shocking in Munster in fairness

Antrim should have to play in a bigger stadium instead of a glorified club ground

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭C4000

6 changes to the Cork team. Seems a bit chaotic and that management are just taking a punt. Cant see anything other than a Clare win.

That’s exactly what it feels like alright, a punt.

I suppose if Ryan stuck with relatively the same team and the result wasn’t good he’d be fairly slated, whereas at least he can say he gave the others a chance now.

This match is huge for Cork. A loss and they’ll HAVE to beat Limerick and Tipp which is a brutal ask of them. Clare could lose and quite conceivably beat Tipp and Waterford and still go through pending on the amount of teams on 4 points and then score difference etc. (Obviously if just them and Cork on 4 points then it’s down to H2H).

Should be a great match

• Registered Users Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭kksaints

Antrim were seriously bad in Nowlan Park on Sunday. Even with home advantage and a motivation to redeem themselves it is still hard to see them finishing within 5 of Wexford this weekend.

A load of Antrim players were off the Antrim panel for most of the league for a host of different reasons. A star player retired. Now, a rake of players have come back into the panel just in the nick of time for championship. That just can't be good for squad morale and for consistency of training and getting the balance of a team right.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,627 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I wonder how much the weaker teams even bother to target Kilkenny and Galway.

I think we will see a better Antrim but still not good enough to win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

Still haven't seen last weeks games. Could only listen to first half of Clare v Limeeick had to head off then.

Can't really comment on either game but it was good to see Waterford win sets things up nicely going forward.

For this weekend interesting Cork have made 6 changes but Ryan had to take action as a lot of anger in Cork after last week. Clare coming off a loss two so two teams desperate for a win. With home advantage i expect Cork to win.

Tipp will be flying fit, fresh and mad for road you'd expect but that's a basic requirement at this level. Hard to see Limerick losing at home to Tipp. As John Doyle once said of a young flying fit Cork team 'they can do all the running, we'll do the hurling'. Do Tipp have the hurling to beat Limerick? No i dont think they do.

The dress rehearsal for the Leinster final should see Galway get the win at home to Kilkenny. It's time for Henry to deliver some silverware. Leinster the mimimum requirement. Last years last gasp loss to Kilkenny will give them the extra drive to exact some revenge. Kilkenny always tough to beat but Galway to win on Sunday and win Leinster this year.

Carlow could be a potential bananna skin for Dublin. They will have targeted this game as as a bit of a scalp. If Dubs aren't tuned in and are in anyway complacent it could be a tough day at the office.

Antrim seem all at sea. Hard to see much hope for them this year. Some of the progress made over last couple years seems to have fallen away. Wexford should have far too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I think I read on another forum that this is Gleeson's last year. Not sure if it is true.

I did think that Antrim were doing well and making good strides, but they have regressed.

Wexford for the win.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Butterbeans

Yeah, Gleeson had them ticking along nicely for a few years there. McMaunus played a huge part in that too. They were always going to struggle once he retired

• Registered Users Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

He's a massive loss. Genuinely would have started for pretty much all senior teams in the country. It was always going to be an issue when he quit.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Montys return

I think Cork will win, they've made a few positive changes I think and are at home. They were not as bad as people think, and I recall a similar reaction to an unexpected defeat in 2020 to Waterford who went on to make the all ireland final. Cork made it themselves the following year, and both sides competed in the league final in 2022.

You'd swear that was 10 years ago reading some of the commentary the past two weeks, rather than 3-4 years ago.

Tipp will have a right rattle off Limerick I would say too. Depends on where Limerick are really at but I do think it will be tough.

You could be right on Antrim. Point ahead 5 mins left!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Great game between Antrim and Wexford. A real shame this was not on TV for all to see. Ref had a few strange calls I thought. Great entertainment by both teams though

• Advertisement

That's a desperate result for Wexford and opens the door for Dublin to get that third place. Well done Antrim and Gleeson who will be eyeing up the Dubs for another scalp.

Advertisement