Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I'd have little problem myself with he handball, very hard to avoid contact there. However, the interpretation of it has changed mid-season, early in the season I have no doubt that was a foul.

The other 2 were fouls. If we're now saying we're gonna penalize forwards in that position for exaggerating the level of contact then brilliant, do that, but be consistent. In numerous other examples penalties have been awarded for the first one this season. For the last one, it looked like the ref signalled that he got the ball. He didn't get the ball. That was a factual inaccuracy, that VAR should have intervened in, 'you said he got the ball cleanly there mate, you better have a look here again because he didn't' 'ok mate' 'good process' etc.....

Not a Forest fan at all, and they royally ficked up, like having a goalie that looked like his shoes were tied together for the 2 goals, but so did the referees fick up.

Fierce mess altogether.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Turns out Forest didn't actually officially contact PGMOL about Attwell either. They had Clattenburg ring up Howard Webb looking for a "quid pro quo" change which Webb dismissed completely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭golfball37

Forest are dead right. The officiating is farcical at times .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

The Champions League places look fairly set now. I reckon that it might only take 4 points from Villa's final 4 games for it to be secure. it would mean that Spurs would need 4 wins from their last 6 games to pass them out, and their fixtures are tricky playing the 3 teams going for the title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Not a good look with his tweet today either. He got away with 3 decisions and that's football, but the "Cry Me A River" tweet is pretty poor form.

• Advertisement

Going deep into cups has a big affect on scheduling.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

The standard of referees are incredibly poor in the PL & those same refs plus others that cover VAR are even worse.

However the PGMOL is a weird organisation; only a few years ago in the Merseyside derby Pickford assaulted VVD and nothing happened. David Coote was the VAR that day.

Guess who is VAR for this derby….the part I do not get is why does PGMOL put that person into that situation, there are several alternatives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Crap player and an idiot too. Can't wait until we boot him out the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Don't think any ref has ever been banned from a particular team.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

More games = less time between games…… Mind not exactly blown

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I am so pumped at the idea of being in the Champions League next season, I absolutely LOVE that competition and honestly while the Europa League standard is good and always playing on a Thursday and not switching between Tuesday and Wednesday is much better I think, it's still not the same when you get down to it

Qualifying for the Champions League was a goal at the start of the season but also a goal that not everybody would have predicted we could do, so to see us so close to confirming participation is HUGE

Not convinced yet on the new format and more games - but damn am I happy that we're likely to be there. Best competition by miles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭randd1

VAR overall is a good thing.

The problem with it is refs have become eunuchs with VAR in place. There's been a good few decisions made by refs this season that were probably the right call in the circumstances (such as ball to hand situations) where their natural instincts probably had made the right call, but once VAR got involved over-ruled themselves and gave penalties for next to nothing.

If refs stuck to their guns more often, it mightn't be as bad.

And surely at this stage the ref could have an on arm monitor, or use the big screen, rather than having to go to the half way line each time. Takes up too much time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Considering he has been in the Championship until 2 weeks ago he wasn't in charge of any Premier league games, would also cover him from any more mistakes of feeling the need to fix any mistakes.

100% disagree with VAR being a good thing. I think it's been awful for the sport and I'd bin it tomorrow if possible.

If you can automate anything objective, e.g. goal line technology, offsides etc then I'm for it. If you tell me you can extend goalline technology to everywhere on the pitch and can then accurately tell instantaneously where the ball has gone out of play (and even show where throw ins etc should be taken from as a result), or that they can tell which player touched the ball last to be sure of whether it's a corner or not, who's throw it is etc, then I'd be for that - not because I think it's particularly needed, but because if technology can do it accurately and instantly there's no need for officials to do it because it's an objective fact.

For anything that is subjective and down to opinion, this should be decided by the referee, that's it. They're not perfect but they're not assessing facts either it's judgement. Adding more referees into the decision making process doesnt make sense to me. The idea that the powers that be looked at the state of referees and said: "Hey do you know what would be good, if we got even more referees to weigh in on the same incidents" makes no sense to me and it hasn't worked. It wastes time, is inconsistently applied, and is terrible for fans. By knowing there's VAR in place, referees are more reluctant to make marginal calls on the pitch. Why? Because they have the safety blanket of knowing it's reviewed. But then what do the reviewers do? Defer to the on field decision because it's marginal. It's madness and should be stopped.

Go back to what we had before. No VAR. Automate offsides. Get on with it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

As a Leeds fans, I have really enjoyed watching matches this season with no VAR. It is a much better watch without the stoppages and constant chat about VAR and referee decisions. We've had terrible decisions go against us and some go for us (a clear offside goal last night for example). I'd agree with semi-automated offsides being standard in all matches but get rid of the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

VAR has just highlighted how poor referees actually are. They have access to more information but still manage to get things shockingly wrong.

Most other major sports in the world have some sort of implementation that works, football should be no different. I think if they were any good at following their own guidelines consistently the whole thing would be much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cmac2009

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

100%
    VAR is just a tool. The people using the tool are just not fit for the job.
    Just this weekend we seen Chelsea denied a penalty for the ball striking an arm in the box, fair enough.
    24hrs later and the same thing is given for Coventry. Why? What changed in 24hrs?

They can't seem to agree on their own rules. They hide behind saying these decisions are "subjective" as an excuse.
    What is or isn't a handball seems to change game to game.

They are let off far too easily. If almost anyone else here working a normal job was that incompetent in their role they would be removed. A serious lack of accountability.

I would assume that it was given on day 2 because it was not given on day 1, and the reaction to that decision. Which I could accept if that then became the new standard, but that is not what happens. We get stuck in a constant cycle instead of not given-given-not given-given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Which tells you everything about it.
    They aren't following rules, they are just applying an interpretation which is being influenced by external resources.

I'm nearly sure we had agreed at the start of the season that these would be given as penalties. Which is fine - I don't agree with it but at least it is the same rule for everyone.

But throughout the season we have seen some given and some waved away. How can they not get this sorted and stick to a set rule on it!

Exactly. If the one rule was just applied consistently throughout, it would be a lot easier to accept the decisions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Was only VAR, but still a dangerous precedent. it's like they still trust him with other teams games, just not Liverpool games.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

People have short memories refs were ****/dumb/incompetent/ before VAR and VAR would fix it. Now refs are ****/incompetent/ corrupt with VAR. Fans will always find a way to feel they've been robbed. There's a regular poster here talking about a criminal case against refs if his team don't win the league due to refs. It's paranoid fans sucking the life out of it not conspiracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Yes tend to agree there is a place for VAR but it should deal in absolutes. You can’t measure or apply science to intent and ‘clear and obvious error’ is just a coverall cop out which makes a mockery of the science and technology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

What you are looking for here is to go back to a situation where Thierry Henry gets away with his handball against Ireland. Because it's not one of the 'absolutes' that the poster you are replying to suggested. The ref has missed Henry's action on the pitch, it's a subjective matter etc, so therefore can't be looked at.

I'd humbly suggest if we went the way poster 8-10 suggested, then the first such Henry incident that happened would see us back to 'surely they could look at that, we have the technology, it would only take 10 seconds, no-one would complain about the correct decision being reached'. And eventually we'd be back we were are now arguing about why yesterdays marginal decision went different to todays marginal decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The offside thing is annoying, when you've got to the stage where something that's impossible to be sure about with your eyes as in less than six inches it's a bit ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Big game shortly for Arsenal - though perhaps less of a potential banana skin with Cole Palmer out, hard to see Chelsea mustering an upset without him. In general hard to see where Chelsea goals might come from - all that money spent, to end up starting three goal-shy lads in Madueke, Mudryk, and Jackson. Gallagher arriving late looks about the best/only bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

thats a lovely goal by arsenal after 5 mins. 1-0

Didn't take long. Chelsea parting like the red sea - or rather, just dropping off forever and refusing to engage in any way. Awful defending, and poor goalkeeping too, right through Petrović at the near post.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Without Palmer, is that game over already?

Keeper beaten at his near post - never good.

Fine finish by Trossard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭Xander10

Soft goal , keeper has to block on his near post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Chelsea not trying a leg here.…not even pretending.

• Advertisement

Christ, Jackson could've easily been off there too. Awful challenge. Looked worse than the Curtis Jones red earlier in the season, didn't get near the ball, planted right down into the players ankle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Jackson wanted to get so.e more time off it looks like

orange card there by jackson, surprised VAR didnt call over the ref to review it.

Chelsea starting to at least show a bit of spirit the last wee while… still not at much, but at least trying to put some things together. Not sure the quality is there in the final third though.

• Advertisement

Jackson's got some promise in some of the build up play, but christ he's so bad in front of goal.

Feels like another one of those Joelinton situations where maybe there's a player there, just not as a striker - or at least not as that lone-frontman role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

Jackson pulling out of that header in the front of goal was beyond embarrassing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,153 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

For the league you really want an Arsenal win...think they can run City close this season. Probably should be a couple up but as long as its only 1 Chelsea are well in it

Huge chance alright, have to just go for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

what the Christ has happened to the red card rule on high tackles?

Jackson's was textbook, and nothing?

it's just infuriating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Just watched the replay…how does VAR not flag that up?

it really is bizarre. seeing as the ref didnt even give a yellow, means he missed it altogether. how much more clear and obvious is there than actually missing it?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

They said at half time it got checked and cleared by VAR... So basically they can't recommend a yellow but didn't meet the threshold for a red... Which is completely bizarre he could have broken Tomiyasus ankle with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭cr-07

Ridiculous not to get the ref to come over and take a look at it. The only ‘reason’ I can think of is that they didn’t want to kill the game.

2-0 arsenal

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement