Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

At this stage?!?!?!

You think there was some point she married him or stayed with him because she liked him?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The relationship is transactional , nothing more nothing less.

She is just as transactional as Trump in her thinking , as evidenced by the multiple updates to the pre-nup that have been reported as she has angled for a better "deal" for herself every time she has leverage - Like when he wants to run for President and needs a "first lady" or when he plays offside etc. etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭combat14

looks like prosecution think trump wants to go to jail for breaking political gag order

the question is why is new york state investigating federal election fraud when the matter has already been declined at federal level

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Things are going well for Donny boy today lol

Fyi - lawfare are doing a daily pod reviewing what happened that day in court

• Registered Users Posts: 82,426 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Not really 'the question.' State-level violations are prosecuted by states, which is what this is about. The Federal authorities have him up on the documents charge and the insurrection, both of which were federal level.

He might be looking for a ratings boost due to a couple nights in the pokey. Be interesting what he looks like after a couple days without his bronzer spray.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

They aren't investigating "Federal Election Fraud" , they are investigating fraudulent payments and illegal company accounting that took place in New York using a New York registered business. The fact that the purpose of the payment was to potentially influence the outcome of a Federal Election is secondary and not part of the charges being brought.

Also - It hasn't been "declined at Federal level" , no attempt has been made to bring those charges - yet.

I would suspect that if Trump is found guilty here it opens up the possibility of charges relating to the Election but the specifics make it a harder case to prove (although the reports that Trump wanted to renege on the payments after he won in 2016 makes his argument that the payment was to keep it secret from his wife and nothing to do with the election a difficult sell).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,361 ✭✭✭✭looksee

He might think he wants to be a martyr but it would come as an overwhelming shock to him to actually be in prison. Its not as though he has ever done any military service to have had a taste of obeying orders.

Some of the testimony is pretty devastating.

This is in relation to a story from a Doorman on Trumps building where he alleged he had information about Trump fathering a child and getting the woman to have an abortion, there was never any proof found that this was true but Pecker still paid the doorman $30k to "catch & kill the story"

David Pecker testified that if the story was true, "it would be probably the biggest sale of the National Enquirer since the death of Elvis Presley."

Pecker said if the story was verified he would have published it after the election, based on a conversation he had with Michael Cohen.

"If the story came back true, I would have published the story shortly after it was verified," Pecker said.

But Pecker said he would've held the story until after the presidential election, even if he verified it before then.

"That was the conversation I had with Michael Cohen and that’s what we agreed to," Pecker said.

That him admitting right there that Trump was actively working on buying off people to keep bad news out of the public eye before the election. In this case , Pecker spent the money but the outcome is still the same.

David Pecker testified that he asked former National Enquirer editor in chief Dylan Howard “to negotiate a number, a price to buy the story and take it off the market," in regard to the doorman selling a story that Donald Trump allegedly fathered a child.

Pecker said Howard negotiated to pay $30,000 to buy the story. He called Michael Cohen to tell him, and Cohen asked who would pay for it.

Pecker says that when he agreed to buy the story, Cohen told him, "The boss will be very pleased."

Prosecutor Joshua Steinglass asked him to specify who the boss was. “The boss would be Donald Trump,” Pecker replied.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭combat14

trump could be looking to go to prison the ratings boost or certainly the publicity would be unreal a bit like johnny cash going to folsom prison stylie, he may even get a sympathy vote

the logistics would certainly be interesting with secret service detail effectively imprisoned too

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/23/nyregion/trump-trial-hush-money-prison.html

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Why would the secret service detail need to be imprisoned too? They don't have to literally follow him everywhere, they just need to be sure of where he is and any place he enters is secure.

A prison is perfect for him. They aren't going to be putting him in with the general population regardless of secret service detail or not. He'd be in a seperate section and limited prison officers dealing with him, an zero prisoners anywhere near him.

The secret service guys can sit in the carpark for the night eating donuts, or take the night off and go to a bar before picking him up again the next morning. If he does get locked up it's only likely to be a very short stint and mostly ceremonial so that justice can be shown to have been carried out and that nobody is exempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Stanley 1

Send him to Epstein's cell for a couple of nights with plenty of spare linenware, might help to concentrate his mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,715 ✭✭✭✭briany

If he were dropped into a regular prison, he would absolutely be bricking himself, deep down, but it's been extensively debated what kind of custody he'd actually be put in. If it were house arrest with limited access to Truth Social, he'd probably be happy with it as he could claim political martyrdom without any particular dangers to himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Rep Bennie Thompson who chaired the Jan 6th committee is currently pushing a bill to see Secret Service protection for convicted felons removed. I particularly like his effort at backronym-ing the Act's name.

"Dubbed the “Denying Infinite Security and Government Resources Allocated toward Convicted and Extremely Dishonorable (DISGRACED) Former Protectees Act,” the legislation from Rep. Bennie Thompson (D-Miss.) would nix the lifelong protection given to former presidents if they are convicted and sentenced for a felony that carries a year or more in prison time.

“Unfortunately, current law doesn’t anticipate how Secret Service protection would impact the felony prison sentence of a protectee — even a former President,” Thompson said in a statement."

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4605774-former-jan-6-panel-chair-bill-secret-service-protection-felons/

I wasn't expecting Pecker's testimony to be quite so damning. Whilst this is on its surface a record-keeping case, the prosecution are laying the groundwork for the purported conspiracy that drove the record falsification. Which, would be great if there were a conspiracy charge in play for this trial.
    Perhaps a little bit of foundation laying and distant cooperation with the Smith case by exposing a propensity for conspiratorial acts. If not refuted by Trump counsel's cross examination, could it perhaps have evidential value in the other criminal cases as "anything you say may be used in evidence!".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Epstein would probably be found dead the next morning, poisoned by noxious gases from The Chump's arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

From Frasier, when Niles has to sleep on Frasier's sofa:

Frasier: and I've given you my cashmere throw in case it gets chilly during the night.

Niles: i appreciate that. You're a good brother.

Martin: I still say a spell in the army would have done you two the world of good.

Victimhood victimhood victimhood. Where was Jesse for Kalief Browder?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,133 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Practically speaking, Trump will not be put in jail for contempt or prison if convicted of a felony. If contempt, he will be placed in his Trump tower 3 story penthouse, with servants satisfying his every need. Then limousine driven to court 4 days a week. If convicted he will be put in his Maralago Club and residence. That’s my legally uneducated guess.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Could just be sent down to the courts holding cell for a night.

• Advertisement

Nah he's not your cousin vinnie in a backwater town.

https://www.mediaite.com/trump/wolf-blitzer-asks-former-judge-at-what-point-would-you-be-prepared-to-actually-jail-trump/

“I would expect him initially to impose fines. I don’t think he’s going to go right to incarceration. I don’t think any judge would do that. He’s going to impose fines, and he’s going to give him a stern warning saying, ‘Now, look, I have fined you and I can fine you again. But if you don’t stop this, I have the power to incarcerate you and that’s what’s going to happen if you violate my court orders.’ So I think he’s going to give him a stern talking to and I think he’s going to impose these fairly minimal fines of $1,000 per violation. That’s what I would expect.”

Blitzer then reported that CNN had learned that “the U.S. Secret Service, court officers, and even the New York City Department of Corrections have been quietly discussing what to do if Trump does end up being jailed for contempt of court.”

“If you are presiding over this case,” the anchor asked Scheindlin, “at what point would you be prepared to actually jail the former President of the United States?”

“I wouldn’t be anxious to do that,” she said. “I think it makes him appear to be a victim. It only helps his narrative of this being a witch hunt. I would try to do everything I could not to incarcerate him.”

Scheindlin added that the logistics of jailing a former president would be “difficult,” needing 24/7 Secret Service protection, and said she read somewhere he could be sent to Riker’s, “which would be a terrible environment, so I would hope that it never came to that, and I don’t expect it to.”

• Registered Users Posts: 13,442 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

….

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,133 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

The judge could, but other than sabre rattling in court, doubtful.

Although Trump continues to complain about being singled out and unfairly treated by the justice system, he has been treated with kid gloves exemplifying a double standard between the ultra rich and the rest of us. Besides, how many of us have $100 million plus in pocket change for legal fees? Or millions of poor folks that will send their last $5 to their poor old billionaire cult leader?

Consensus appears to be, this is kind of important...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Wonder if she'll go again, didn't she say she was only suspending her campaign?

She won't , but it's a really strong indicator that there is a large swathe of GOP voters that do not want to vote for Trump.

I saw recent polling that was showing the RFK Jr. was pulling way more votes from Trump than Biden despite the concerns from Democrats.

Biden leads Trump by two points when Kennedy Jr., Green Party candidate Jill Stein and independent Cornel West are on the ballot, but he trails Trump by two points in a head-to-head matchup, according to an April 12-16 NBC poll of 1,000 registered voters, though the shift is within the poll’s 3.1-point margin of error.

The poll found 15% of voters who would cast their ballots for Trump in a two-way race would switch their vote to Kennedy Jr. in a five-way contest, compared to 7% of Biden voters.

More Republicans (40%) also view Kennedy Jr. favorably compared to Democrats (16%).

• Registered Users Posts: 33,607 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Not unless Trump has to drop out completely. She still lost the majority of primaries to him, some to a large degree, and Pennsylvania is a blue-leaning state so the fact the Republicans in that state still put in votes for Haley doesn't mean a lot for Haley herself. It's just far more impactful that GOP voters still voting for Haley a month after she suspended her campaign shows that most of them are anti-Trump and he's unlikely to be able to garner enough support for that State, especially as he won the state in 2016 for the GOP for the first time in over 20 years, but lost it in 2020.

The votes for Haley shows he's likely going to lose it by even more in 2024. The primary results display a heavy anti-Trump vote rather than a pro-Haley vote.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It is partly a double standard between the ultra rich, but also partly a rather unprecedented position with regards his status as a former and potential future president. A different standard for that is rather inevitable - most defendants don't have round the clock secret service protection for one.

• Advertisement

Another stark reminder of what an egregious, barefaced and shameless liar he is, or the ramblings of an utter lunatic.

Either way, wtf is he doing anywhere near a position of power in the US?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement