Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

Looks like pochs rally cry to show Chelsea are more than just Cole Palmer has fallen on deaf ears

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

3-0. what a pass by odegard!

Lol cucerella tripping up himself for the 3rd

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

60 million down the drain…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah, at very least they should've gotten the ref to go take a look, even just so he could have that in mind for how he refs Jackson for the rest of the game. Like, if you get away with that one you really shouldn't be able to get away with much more, whereas the way it's played out he's come out of it with clean slate.

<edit>

3-0, and another bit of VAR controversy ignoring what looked a foul in the build up. Feels like they're just reffing with a coin toss this season.

Yeah it's definitely a foul by Gabriel in the build up tbh. He's clever enough about it but it's still a foul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭mobydopy

Jackson lol he’s so so bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Nicolas Jackson.

He's not a footballer.

I don't know what he is, but he's not that.

what can you say about nick jackson at this stage 🙈

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Jackson is comically funny - not related to a forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

will Poch get another season?

Fcuking hell this is embarrassing from Chelsea

4-0

4. Excellent finish in fairness, though Chelsea making it so so easy for them.

Poor showing from keeper again - he probably still couldn't reach it, but he definitely had time to try. On replay, he has time to turn and look round at the corner and back at the ball - just move.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Chelsea have seiously folded tonight. They've so many players that are expensive but not good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭IrishOwl...

Chelsea and UTD should play each other every week. Both teams are bananas, you never know what you're going to get. But it would be tremendous fun for us neutrals..

Arsenal have really put that Champions League disappointment behind them in short order.

Whatever about the first half where they've had a go at least, they've collapsed like soggy cardboard in the second.

5-0! WTF?!?!

• Advertisement

Tan-from-a-can Ben White in on the action now. 5-0. Boah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Have to figure Poch is in a bit of trouble come seasons end. They had a little slightly improved run, but that feels more down to Cole Palmer DIY'ing everything rather than a cohesive team improvement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

so it really is Cole Palmer or bust for Chelsea.

Is there any hope for Todd Boehlys youthful inexperienced extravaganza of players to come good? Essentially a team of nobodies bar Palmer. One for the history books when people talk about regimes as things stand.

Feels like what hope they had individually of coming good, is significantly diminished from being part of a youthful inexperienced collective. Who are they meant to be learning from, and looking up to? A real lack of experience there - especially anyone with any roots in the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

I don't think there is a manager out there who could get any better out of that team tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

It's great to see them struggling. Bohleys coming in and acting like billy big balls and now they are stuck with a load of young lads who haven't performed on 8 years contracts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

One thing about this season is the sheer amount of goals, and crazy results. The likes of Chelsea, United, Arsenal, Fulham, West Ham and Brighton seem to be involved in a mad scoreline every other week (with Arsenal generally winning comfortably in that instant).

Most entertaining season in a long time in that regard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭Xander10

THe only way we will see any fight from these Chelsea players tonight is if they are awarded a penalty

• Advertisement

I must say Declan Rice I underestimated, lad has a bit of everything about him in midfield.

Certainly some talented individuals but like you say, who’s there to help take the pressure off them with some experience? I can’t imagine they have as much financial wiggle room this summer after their recent splurges, interesting times ahead, happy to see em flounder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

No Palmer, no party!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

In fact, I just went back over the season, and there have been only five gameweeks so far where at least one team didn't score at least four goals.

This week alone there has been a 4-0, 5-0, 5-1 and a 5-2, and other highlights include gameweek 25 (a pair of 4-1s and 5-0s) and gameweek 23 (4-1, 4-4, 5-0, 4-2).

Lapping it all up

And FFP has now caught up with them so they can't keep spending their way out of trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Nah they'll be fine, they just sold two hotels to themselves, nothing to see here....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭Officer999

Incredible to think Chelsea won the Champions League only 3 seasons ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

I think the thing that Todd (or whoever he has in charge) really underestimated is just how hard it is to identify who is going to go from highly rated young player to superstar.

Think about all the players over the years who were hyped up to be the next Ronaldo, the next Zidane, the next Henry so on. And then think about where the vast majority of those players ended up.

They tried to pick up as many of the highly rate players in the age bracket as they could but that's was always gonna lump them with some duds statically.

Then you look at some of the players signed and you'd have to question how much info they actually had on them before moving on them.

Delighted to see a club like Chelsea get it so wrong I have to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I saw him in some of their preseason games last year and he looked great playing alongside Nkunku.

• Advertisement

Preseason can be awful that way sometimes… you think you've a serious player on your hands, but ultimately get fooled by just how low and lax the preseason level really is. I remember the summer Voronin and Torres joined Liverpool, and Voronin thoroughly outshone Torres in preseason - looked like an absolute superstar in that relaxed low-pressure environment.

Jackson looks the sort where the technical ability is there, but just not the head for the pressure. Falls apart in front of goal with the simplest of finishes in front of him. Could see him being alright as a second-striker with a partner who takes all the goalscoring responsibility though. Still not good enough i think, but could at least carve out a viable role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Last night was a real statement win for Arsenal. Obviously Chelsea are in disarray at the moment but to smash a local rival by 5 and keep a clean sheet is superb. City have a kinder run in and if they beat Brighton you'd expect them to win the remaining fixtures but it would be brilliant if Arsenal could at least push them all the way. Odegaard is some baller too.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Lauras Law

Arsenal are a fantastic team and I don't think Arteta gets enough credit for what he's done at the club. Weren't they something like 8th in the league when he took over? He's transformed the squad, got them playing excellent football, is challenging City in the title race for the 2nd year in a row. But you never really hear Arteta being talked about as one of the top managers in the league. Arsenal's faith in him after some difficult early seasons is certainly paying off now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,341 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

You ABSOLUTELY hear Arteta being mentioned as one of the best managers in the league. But until he wins something with his own team I don't think people will look at him as a Klopp or Pep. He needs to win a league or CL to get to their bracket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,153 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

If he wins a league I think he could be compared to a Klopp needs to do a lot more to be compared to Pep though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Surely Palmer is the "Primary Forward" so you can't really criticise the "Secondary Forward" for pìss poor finishing. Been throught this a few days ago.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,341 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Over the breath of their career yeah, but if Arteta wins the league he will absolutely be spoken of as an elite manager in that bracket.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭al87987

Jackson's getting a lot of stick but I thought he was one of Chelsea's bright spots yesterday, yes the finishing leaves a lot to be desired but his all around play, especially in the 1st half, was pretty good.

Before Chelsea conceded the 2nd and the heads dropped, he was running the channels, holding the ball up and bringing others into play well.

His goalscoring has been erratic but I would be encouraged by the sheer amount of chances he gets. Similar to Nunez.

He looks a better prospect for me than Hojlund who is a similar age and was bought for more than twice as much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Arteta is 42, still a relatively young manager. He needs a league or ECL title to be talked about as an elite coach but he could win a lot over the next decade. Arsenal might not do it this year but they are a young team and you'd expect them to improve again next year. I don't know what the average age of the squad is but I'd be surprised if it's higher than 24.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭djan

I don't think titles or cups are the sole basis of a managers ability considering it's a team game with a lot of staff in the background. However, a big competition win would immediately place him on Klopp level but as regard to Pep, he can't really be compared with anyone given the unlimited funds at his disposal. While maybe not as charismatic and frank as Klopp, Arteta is quite likeable and has a good image which always helps in this.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement