Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2024 Irish EV Sales

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

My first car was a 1996 ford fiesta. It was a good old endura badged kent engined 1.3 petrol. And I loved that yoke. Its range on a good day was 350km. Another favorite car of mine over the years was my GMC sierra 1500. 5.7 v8 petrol. Its range on a good day was about 400km. One of my current EVs, a base model Tesla, can exceed both of those without charging, or at worst, a 10 minute stop if it's all motorway.

We're already past the point of per tank range, it's now back to the fuel up time.

(PS, I have 3 EVs but for fun I drive my w210 6 cylinder petrol merc, I play both sides of this debate)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Ive owned 2 EVs over the past 10 years and still driving them. They suit me, but I honestly believe most EV drivers are like Trump supporters. They just cant see past their own nose on the subject. One woman tried to convince me that she had never ever had to queue at a charger. While she was telling me this she was 4th in the queue behind me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭sk8board

I know what you’re saying and I agree - but again yours is a very specific case, and those are two classic cars. My son has a new fiesta and does 650km of non-motorway driving. Individual examples have no real bearing on the debate

Irish drivers are buying tiguans and Tuscans and whatever - that’s who you need to change to an EV - and the medium EV market is pretty narrow right now

• Registered Users Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

What you're demonstrating is you can make an EV it work depending on your priorities and needs.

If someone decides it's not for them, they don't want to make it work. That's ok, it's right for them.

I don't think every EV thread should be drowning in all this trolling, it's just spam. I suggest people put the repeat offenders on ignore.

That's feels like how long is a piece of string. It's just constantly moving goal posts.

• Advertisement

company car BIK makes an EV a no-brainer if you can make it work at all. Those people are happy to shoe-horn the car into their needs, which is fair.
    im surrounded by that type of EV driver in my commuter area. One person uses a pool car for a regular ish Dublin-Cork return drive, and ID4 for everything else.

It's impossible to educate when we are being bombarded by fud.

I know what you mean, but dismissing something you disagree with as ‘fud’, even if you’re correct in that assertion, is never going to win any argument.
    personally I think the wider makes just doesn’t care about cars and/or EVs.
    it’s the future, so everyone will get there eventually, but the product offering needs to continue iterating for a few years more for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭pah

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,058 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

i was quoting a post where you said if an ev could do 400km at motorway speeds in the winter at an affordable price then people would buy, im asking whats affordable, what is the ICE car that you would point to and say emulate this (form factor, price, performance) with 400km of winter motor way range and people will buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,058 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

thats horse manure to be fair, as i said EV drivers have experience of both sides of the debate, most of the naysayers dont. Anecdotes dont change that.

Personally i have never queued at a charger in 4 years of ev driving, im sure others have but the reality for me is 95% of our charging is at night at home and the odd fast charge we have needed has been painless (and fast).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I used to drive from Limerick to Dublin and back again to transport my son and his stuff to college, several times a year, on one tank of petrol. That's about 400km.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

loads of words. Nothing meaningful.
    Few will turn straight around. Instead they’ll be onsite for several hours purchase nowhere to charge.
    20 minute chargers aren’t really a thing. There’s often Q’s and they charging takes longer.
    Last thing people want is to stop off for 20-40 minutes for a charge. Especially ever day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭halkar

It's may be easy and convenient for home owners to switch to EVs but reality we have millions living in apartments, flats, rented houses which have no cheap and convenient ways of powering their vehicles. If one has no ability to charge at home with night rates or discounted rates there is no financial benefit of owning an EV with current rates at charging stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Millions? As of the last census we had over 2.1 million private dwellings of which 200k were apartments.

Does that include flats? Some people in flats and apartments have 2-3 cars especially if they are shared. Also a lot in rented house which landlords not always willing to install chargers. Yes possible millions instantly out of EV market.

Not much point in engaging with fud if being correct is is irrelevant. They aren't interested in being informed.

That car would be useless today. People need 700-1000+ on one tank of fuel. Even if they only do it once, or never do it. They want a car that can do 1000k even in they never do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

From the same census we know that there were ~400k (not including local authority which are mostly single houses) rented from that 2.1 million. Unless the occupancy rate is »=5, you won't have millions. And if that's the average occupancy rate, then our population would be > 10 million. Which it's not.

• Advertisement

Personally I wouldn't buy an EV without a home charger. But others on these forums have and made it work.

Include local authority and you get the picture. Go to any flats in Dublin and they are full of cars and rarely you will see an EV. Same in housing estates owned by local authorities. Unless government address the charging issues moving to EVs with the rates they are expecting will not happen any time soon.

Same here, unless I can charge at work or without home charger EVs makes very little if any financial sense. I don't think many buys EVs to save the world :D

I'd have bought an EV even if it cost similar as petrol. Just suits my use better.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

There are a few things that will hold up EV transition. First and most talked about is charging. Its all good if you have a driveway and can charge your car. There was supposed to legislation passed so apartment owners can get an individual chager installed. I dont know where that is. You also then have houses with no driveway. How are they supposed to charge. Are they expected to pay for far more expensive public charging while someone with their own home charger gets to charge at upto a 5th of the price. Or will the local councils allow them to intall home charging polls to the side of their house so they can charge on the public road. Doubt it.

A bigger issue imo is the availability and pricing of secondhand EV in the next 6 years. If only people with home charging are going to buy them then the second hand market demand if there cannot be met. I am not well knowledged on the esecond hand ice car market. How many are sold each year and what is the average price paid. A lot of people wont buy new or nearly new cars. They buy older cheap cars. So when will a EV become viable for them to buy.

Personally I am in favour of EV particularly in cities. But i see this all ending in a mess. CEO of toyota has stated that he sees EVs only making up 30% of market share and i can see that being true.

I personally drive a diesel ATM. I have no intention changing my car now as I have other things i want to spend my money on. My car suits me as i need to drive long distance every 2 weeks. When i fill my tank i get 900km. If i was to change i would definatly look at the likes of a BYD Seal as it might work for me. I was listening to a dealer lately from the USA and he was saying that his clients are turning away from EVs due to lack of chargers available and not the lenght of time to charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭thebiglad

I live in a private estate with 300 units - mix of houses and duplexes, we don't have designated parking but Management Company will install chargers in a space on request (obviously install must be fully paid and approved contractor etc) - problem is, if everyone decided now, or at some point in the future to take up a charger install our wiring and substation could not cope - so, as well as installing the wiring etc the wiring and sub station needs to be upgraded and that cost will fall on the residents as a whole plus, none of the chargers will be attached to my private meter so I would not get the benefit of cheap overnight electricity (the spaces are not adjacent to units and as stated already, there is no specific allocation anyhow).

So, yes technically all 300 units could go EV but to install infrastructure is not going to be anywhere near straightforward and I am sure that will apply in many other of our estates.

Sure we can say it's not millions without access but scratch below the surface of any property without a private driveway and you very quickly run into various issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭electricus

A typical home charging point delivers 7.2kW, around the same as consumed by an electric oven + hob or electric shower. Also, charging mostly happens at night when other appliances are not in use and wind generation is at its highest. Why would that require a sub station upgrade?

I can only repeat what we have been told by the Managing Agent - perhaps they are wrong, perhaps you are - time will tell on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭electricus

I’m just surprised it’s an issue, maybe the sub station is already at capacity due to other pressures.

• Advertisement

Would not suprise me if the builder put in the minimum KW they could get away with - they cut every other corner (early 2000's build).

Advertisement