Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Spirit Radio in serious breach of their licence ?

Options

Comments

Yes, they are in very serious breach of contract and if the year was 2002 the licence would be terminated (like radio Limerick one) but nowadays nobody wants to rock the boat, the industry can continue to slap themselves on the back on the jnlr day when they are all number one. Sure isn't everyone still listening to the radio like it were 1997 according to them but we can't have any new competition in the market just the same

• Registered Users Posts: 20,976 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The JNLR shows that a lot more people were listening to the radio 20 years ago. Anyone paying attention to the figures over the years will have noticed the gradual decline.

"The figures gauge numbers of listeners over the age of 15 from July 2002 to June 2003, and show that radio listenership is at 86% - down 2% on the same period last year."

"The latest JNLR/Ipsos report into radio listening is published today (10th November 2022). It covers the period from October 2021 to September 2022.  The latest results show 3,182 million listeners (15+) tune into radio every weekday – that is daily radio listening at 78.3% of all adults."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Antenna

The "CB" spectrum concerned 27.6-28MHz was NEVER legal for CB use in ROI so a consultation would have been nonsensical from their point of view. This encompassed the original (1981) UK legal CB band, the UK decided to come up with a different unique CB band (with Narrow Band FM/ NBFM) rather than adopt the original American 40 channels CB band on lower '27MHz' frequencies, as some other countries in Europe had done. Part of the reasons may have been done to try and stimulate UK manufacturing of CBs ? Eventually, years later, the UK also allowed the 'international' 40 channels band too. Using 27.6-28MHz meant UK CB gear could easily be adapted to this licensed Irish church radio system (and was to an extent already in use for that purpose without licences)

the 27MHz Church Radio licensing system introduced in Ireland in 2006 was referred to by comreg as Wireless Public Address System (WPAS) , however very few churches nationwide using radio actually got these licences.

A much better dedicated system for Church Radio would have been to give a small bit of the 76-87 MHz spectrum for 'Church Broadcasts' using high quality regular FM radio band deviation, but no need for stereo. This bit of spectrum had a massive decline and exit of business 2-way radio users due to switching to mobile phone providers instead. So it could have easily been worked around without affecting the few remaining users. Due to just localized VHF coverage and good capture effect with mono FM, only a small pool of frequencies would have done fine and would have been a worthwhile new use of spectrum abandoned by other users.

Obviously a ready made cheap source of suitable receivers from variety of manufacturers would have been any radio capable of receiving the Japanese FM band.

The audio quality would have been much better than 27MHz NBFM, which would have also helped elderly users who may also have been hard of hearing.

However this is probably academic/historic now with streaming of church services taking off in such a big way during 'Covid'

Post edited by Antenna on

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

We have our Mass on 99.9 MHZ, great job, the CB version was poor and have been discontinued.

I wonder why 2rn went to the effort of scrapping the transmitters rather than just leaving them alone in the transmitter hall ? Scrap metal money?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Possibly, would be the same reason why abandoned railway lines were mostly just lifted and not left in the ground. Also, the transmitter at Tullamore can't have been cheap to run. The Continental Electronics 317C 50 kW transmitter, the same type used at Athlone for the 612 kHz 2FM service, was rated for the following.

Power consumption: 82 kw @ 0% mod.
    92 kw @ 30% mod.
    120 kw @ 100% mod.

And Athlone had two of them! Tullamore could easily have pulled a megawatt at full power.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,112 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Some parts went to replace bits and pieces on the old 252 units; itself has been replaced with a more modern unit. I believe that some components were sold on to other MW users to keep them on the road; most of the rest has since been dispensed with and scrapped. There's a huge amount of scrap metal involved in these transmissers; they are pretty much warehouse sized units.

Spirit show do a fund raising drive to broadcast from summerhill, 50kw from summerhill retuned to 612 would be perfect for them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭turbocab

Yes it is, and that's what I hope they go for, apart from that, why don't Spirit radio go on saorview?

• Advertisement

I wonder is the Carrigroe mast for Spirit AM Radio still standing? its been off for months now. I'm sure this service have also been discontinued.

I'd say it's still there but they're probably just hoping that nobody will notice that it's off. It shows how laughable this licence was; it was supposed to be primarily AM with FM fillers but now the AM is gone and they have a lot of FMs around the country. Waste of FM bandwidth if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,732 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

It's meets the needs of the audience of which you don't seem to be one.

But that’s the thing, I can’t see there being many evangelicals in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭rathfarnhamlad

There are plenty of evangelicals in Ireland. They may be a minority but they do exist and have been here for many generations, centuries in fact (I'm RC, just to clear thing up).

I haven't listened to Spirit in a while, I got fed up with the constant skipping of the audio.

I do know that Premier Christian Radio in the UK (nationwide on DAB, also on AM in the Greater London Area) sell airtime to like-minded US-based stations who are of course well-familiar with AM but haven't the vaguest idea what DAB even is. So it may be possible that Spirit is doing something similar by having a presence on AM if only on paper. Not that I heard any US preachers on the station in recent times...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,369 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

• Registered Users Posts: 6,732 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

There are quiet a few but their audience would also include some from the main denominations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭tinytobe

So, Spirit Radio is now completely gone from AM? At least I haven't noticed them on AM for more than a while? Will they get more FM transmitters in the future to cover the whole of the Republic of Ireland?

Yes 549kHz is gone it seems, and I don't think all of the FM transmitters are working either, one example where I live is the 88.00 MHZ Castleisland and Tralee area. I feel that frequently is supposed to be blank anyway, there's nothing on it anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭tinytobe

Didn't know that. I guess none of us have the insight into the reaons why. I would be guessing the financial cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 siezetheday

Wasn't there an alternative bidder for this licence?

Is there a process that allows the licence to be withdrawn and re advertised?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Micheal Varadkar

Spirit Radio are now off AM for over a year but only "temporary due to a technical issue " is what they've told CNAM 🙄

I doubt Ofcom would have been so lenient here.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Micheal Varadkar

True but also in the UK there is a process in which a radio station can apply to drop AM and Ofcom can grant permission after a public consultation. Here all the independent radio stations are still licensed and underpinned by 1988 legislation was is realistically pretty outdated today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Chitty Bakg

Carrickroe is STILL OFF ? Two years and counting? It's still listed on their website, I guess they are probably waiting for Lecky prices to fall further.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭waywill1966

Are they still on 93.4 FM in Sligo?

There were off in mid Kerry 88.0 FM, the signal was so weak it wasn't worth it, you have to be 1km radius of the transmission site.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,691 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

So who is bankrolling this propaganda outlet anyway?

All of these religious stations should be banned from the air as none of them meet the requirements for fairness, balance, and transparency in their finanaces.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,683 ✭✭✭✭L1011

US fundamentalists. There was a charity called something along the lines of "towers for christ" that raised funds to pay for proselytising radio stations outside the US; and they'd get direct donations too.

I suspect they're getting their studio facilities FOC and likely don't pay m/any of the staff either; so its just transmission costs that need to be covered (those are definitely not donated by the operators)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Actually the presenters get paid a decent rate all things considered. One position was advertised a couple of years back and I think it was €32k. Certainly some volunteers but the key people are paid.

Advertisement