Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

**** things about the 70s,80s,90s...that don't happen now!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,565 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Watching movies on something like this…

Then the pipe goes and you end up with this…

Listening to music on something like this…

Which had to use these…

Recording songs off the radio and standing by with your finger on the pause button on the "Cassette Radio" so you can get as much of the song recorded after some twat DJ stopped talking over it…

Playing computer games on something like this…

Which looked like this…

Heating one room in the house with this thing, cos there was no central heating…

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Duke of Schomberg

So . . .

Still get milk delivered in bottles, but can't remember the last time the birds pecked the lids (early 1980s?)

Children in callipers.

As has been mentioned, dogs roaming freely (and to be avoided!) - I must have walked loads of extra miles as a child just to avoid the local roaming dogs.

Somebody mentioned "ply tyres" - yes, and the consequences of when idiots mixed cross-ply and radial tyres rear/front or same-axle . . . "screech, BANG".

Shop assistants in Britain saying "no!" as they passed an Eire 10p back to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Having to wear your itchy Sunday clothes to be dragged down to mass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭thereiver

One pc in one room in the house if you wanted to use the internet that was your only option.

do jumble sales still exist. There would be tables covered with clothes books box's of vinyl records everything would be cheap money goes to a local charity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I saw a lad smoking a pipe a few weeks ago, walking down clarendon st in Dublin. He was in his 30s, didnt seem outwardly hipstery, just a guy coming from work in a shirt and trousers, puffing away Must be the first time in about 25 years ive seen an old fashioned pipe being used, was wondering where you'd even get pipe tobacco nowadays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,294 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

James J Fox opposite Trinity College sell pipes and I assume tobacco for them. Cigars also. Ive only bought whiskey in there myself.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,777 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

A posh jumble sale used to be called a "Sale Of Work". These were normally held in aid of some Catholic church project. The Protestant version was the Garden Fete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Trampas

Waiting at the newsagents on a Saturday for late evening herald that would have the football scores from 3pm games

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭PP Lee

Thankfully we don’t see free roaming dogs anymore. I remember one time being chased by an entire pack of dogs while cycling to college in the late 90’s. About ten of them of assorted sizes all shot out of a back alley at once and started chasing my bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

There was only two kinds of cheese: orange and yellow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Not just roads, on the railway lines the sheer amount of litter people threw out of windows you could open. That and the sh1t from toilets that just emptied out on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭tom23

we use to toast bread of one of those gas fires in my nannie’s back in the 80’s. used a a fork hold it. no fancy toasters back then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Underage drinking in pubs seems to have disapered also where have all the with night clubs gone.

Was that printed on pink paper?

They'd have someone at every game, who'd phone in a detailed report at half time, and with the team sheets etc and then for the end it would just be the final score update, then boom ready to print.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

When it rains, the kids don't race lollipop sticks down the stream on the side of the road. Another lost art.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

And the Vespas that would bring them around Dublin City centre newsagents at breakneck speed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Trampas

yes. Pink paper. Use to be loads of men waiting for it to arrive. Might get the odd result of L-L as to injury time meant it was to late for the print

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭blackbox

You're obviously not a Protestant!

Jumble sale = second hand stuff

Sale of work = hand crafted knitwear, home made cakes , etc

Garden Fete = various stalls including entertainment such as tombola, lucky dip, throwing rings and horseshoes as well as some stuff for sale. In rural areas you might be able to win a piglet by guessing its weight.

a sale of work was nearly always about cakes and knitting 😀

I don’t think I’ve ever attended a garden fete - it’s more an English thing isn’t it? Would Protestants in Eire have had fetes the way you describe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭csirl

My school had an indoor smoking room that students could use during breaks or free classes.

• Advertisement

Not sure if it was official or unofficial but mine had one too up until the late 70s or early 80s- it was for 6th year students only-.i was still a kid but remember passing it one day and when the door opened a cloud of smoke came out 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,777 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

My local Protestants had a spin the wheel thingy and a brass band at their garden fete. All the rest of their stalls were just selling second hand books, clothes etc.

The three Catholic Sales of work only had jumble. Two of them ran separate "cake sales".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭Ted222

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

Mobile AIB and BOI Banks in the form of lorries. Parents used them when were non holidays in Sligo.

Mind you many modern day older AIB and BOI are in $hit condition.

Still have sales of work … kinda rebranded as 'country market'. But to benefit the producers rather than a charity cause.

This one in Raheny once a month.

https://www.facebook.com/rahenycountrymarket/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

when the doorbell rang you had to actually open the door to see who it was……unbelievable…

Why did you only just recently get a front window on your house? 🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭I told ya

That way you had eg an 86 car rather than an 85 car, when you went to sell it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭tom23

Indeed… or swings out of lampposts. No kick the can… bulldog. Marbles. lost arts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭yagan

Just had a flashback to a summer I luckily got the student office job (mostly filing and messages) in the county council and the had ladies and gents break rooms.

The men's room was in the basement and was mostly everyone gathered around the table playing 25s and smoking.

I had to take a message up to the ladies break room once, knocked on door and when it opened nearly half of the women were knitting!!!

Edit to add, late 80s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭randd1

No going to the local mechanics and getting a few patched up tractor tyre blown up and using it to go down a nearby weir and float off down the river for a mile or so in a summer flood, and then bringing back the tractor tyre through the fields so he'll give it to you again tomorrow.

I say a lot of the safety awareness stuff now is overkill pushed by parents who know they're lucky they're still alive after the stuff we got up to when children were expendable.

We used to do our own demolishing of old crumbling buildings as kids. I still remember the rush of running away from a collapsing wall!

Remember the "where's grandad?" Safety ad?

There was the one about a young lad drowning in a water barrel too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The whole "we had common sense not elf'n'safety" thing that seems to be a common line amongst English people particularly forgets just how many deaths there used to be.

Even when I started school there'd probably be one kid a year that didn't come back in September, cause they'd died in some summer misadventure or working on a relatives farm. I did go to a big enough school in a town surrounded by farms though.

Everyone having phones to call for help has probably made more of an impact there than the safety ads tbh.

Workplace deaths were horrendous back then also; any large building project would have a death toll.

Absolutely.

In my school it was usually a slurry pit accident. Tractors didn't have rollover protection, I think a cousin nearly got killed off one when he was driving at 8 years old!

Plus infant mortality was high until maternity care improvements. There were no counselling services for my parents when they lost kids.

It did feel like we were expendable, kinda of like the way in the US they can't link mass shootings in schools to the easy availability of guns.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

No priest at the teenage discos now making sure there's a bit of space between couples dancing the slow set.

Funnier now since I found out said priest had an affair with a local mother and was moved to another parish lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,565 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Town being an absolute dead wasteland on a Sunday. Seriously, nothing was open.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Needmoretea

And two types of coffee: black or white. Extra posh places would have cappuccino

That reminds me-pubs closing for holy hour and earlier closing on Sundays

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,997 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Saving up the Maxwell house/Nescafe jar labels and sending them back to manufacturer to get free gifts!

or the Lyon’s tea labels to enter a draw for a car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Statoil Premium Club.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭I.am.Putins.raging.bile.duct

The bags of Nenagh milk tokens we'd save all year to get something nice from the catalogue

Green shield saving stamps.

Rented tv and couch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭standardg60

Drinks promos in pubs, where you could win free pints or merchandise, sadly killed off by the PC brigade.

Anyone remember the 1p pints of Guinness they had on some anniversary of the brewery?

Edit, you got a scratch card and paid whatever the cost of the pint was in the year you revealed.

• Advertisement

• Rice Krispie Buns!

These were a major feature of all of my childhood parties, school events, any event at all really just get a big bar of cooking chocolate, melt it and mix in the Rice Krispies …

That and over diluted orange squash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Female Gardaí officially referred to as "Bán Garda" or WPC if they were serving in the North or Britain. Edit: corporal punishment handed out by clergy with celibacy frustration, hospitals staffed by nuns and monks who had taken a vow of poverty and probably saved the government health coffers millions but didn’t do much in way of actually caring.

Post edited by flazio on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Capital punishment handed out by clergy with celibacy frustration

Even back then, the Church didn't have the power to carry out capital punishment. I think you meant corporal punishment.😉

I think it was more a business than charity when you consider their baby export model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Bedsits. And for those of us that were particularly skint - sharing a bedsit designed for 1 person with 2 or 3 others.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bedsit

• Advertisement
Advertisement