Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

This Is A Squad Suited to Arne Slot

Albeit the truth is, almost anyone worth his salt could make a good go of it with these players, minus a few outgoings and with a few additions.

Will Arne Slot be the new Liverpool manager? It seems quite likely at this point.

But anyone who plays the right brand of football has a great squad from which to pick and choose.

*Note: the ZenDen is additional content separate from the TTT Main Hub. Rather than seek to write freelance work for other outlets, to supplement my income and keep TTT running (as everything gets more expensive), I write paywalled, zen-like material on the ZenDen. The ZenDen is a quiet space with no commenting – just articles to read. The community remains on the Main Hub, and its where I interact with subscribers, write different articles, and provide post-match analysis.*

While it’s not really a Zen issue, I keep hearing about formations and playing styles, and how they may not suit the Liverpool squad.

And as I keep saying, the only lacking area is having too few centre-backs to play a back three (and to then have three as cover), but most managers use at least one full-back as part of the back three.

Then, how teams switch formations constantly in games, and how the lineup on paper is not how a team plays the game, like fußball.

And, formations change; Liverpool need a manager wedded to a philosophy and a brand of football (high possession, hard-pressing, aggressive attacking, etc.), but whether that’s 4-3-3, 3-4-3 or 4-2-3-1, I don’t see the problem. That has to evolve to find the space, as teams evolve to deny the space.

At the very least, a manager should work around varieties on a theme, not just one hard-and-fast rule.

I don’t pretend to understand the finest tactical intricacies, but I can tell where a player can thrive on any part of the pitch and why.

Slot apparently likes a 4-2-3-1, in which case, the back four is already an established concept.

Two no.6s could help each other; Wataru Endo (if retained) wouldn’t be as exposed, nor would Alexis Mac Allister. The current system is not kind on the Reds’ no.6, as it’s a solo gig.

Or it could be Tyler Morton, or Stefan Bajcetic. Both have huge futures.

Or Trent Alexander-Arnold, who often moves to be a double-pivot in his roving role anyway. Curtis Jones and Dominik Szoboszlai could also do the role.

The three no.10s would suit Cody Gakpo, Luis Díaz, Harvey Elliott, Jones and Szoboszlai, and even Mo Salah, with his take-on success rate having halved over the last seven years and his shooting from wider areas declining badly, is better suited to playing deep (if he stays). He’s no longer a great wide attacking forward.

Liverpool have lots of these “in between” players, who thrive as no.8s and would thrive as no.10s.

Fabio Carvalho, revived at Hull, is another, who didn’t fit the system before, and is another year older, and a bit stronger and faster, as well as wiser. Ditto Bobby Clark and Trey Nyoni.

Diogo Jota is perhaps better further forward, but he’s great at picking the ball up deep and breaking the lines.

I’m not sure Darwin Núñez suits the role of a no.9 in this system, but he’s an enigma.

Someone like Dominic Solanke, if the definitely-included buyback is still active (and the two men who brokered it are now Liverpool’s director of football, and his boss Michael Edwards at FSG), may be worth looking at, to link the attack, as Núñez’s touch and his finishing is too erratic, as is his thinking; but on his day he’s a joy to behold.

Solanke is now a proper hard-pressing, close-controlling target man, with speed to match Núñez according to the stats. He’s English, and meets the homegrown criteria; and like a lot of similar players, he’s coming into his own in the second half of his 20s, as I always feel is possible. I wouldn’t break the bank for him, but he could be a bargain if the buyback hasn’t expired.

Viktor Gyökeres at Sporting is another example. Núñez is about to turn 25, so is he going to mature like they did, or remain too hot-headed and erratic?

(And Liverpool have several super-fast, proper wingers coming through, but if you don’t play with those from the start, they can be bench players to maybe change the game.)

The benefit of buying and developing versatile players is that they can slot (no pun) in to almost any system. And the 15 first team players who visited the Academy this week show the quality that has emerged from there, with much of it still forming.

Even Núñez initially looked like he could play wide, but it would be in a 4-3-3. Of course, any new manager has to work out what to keep in terms of how the team already functions.

There’s a lot of talk about Díaz leaving, and he’s been one of the best players this season.

But in the age of PSR, it won’t be easy to get big money for players (and there won’t be any kind of Philippe Coutinho madness), beyond clubs like PSG; so many mid-tier clubs can no longer afford £50m players, unlike a few years ago. And Díaz would be worth at least £70m in a normal market. Equally, would the club get as much for Núñez to make him worth selling, if they decided it was time to cut their losses?

If Díaz wants to go to Spain or even to PSG (as has been mooted), that’s fine, as it’ll bring in good money. Liverpool don’t have to sell.

Ditto with Mo Salah and maybe a £70m bid from the Saudi league; if he wants to go, great, as that’s a lot of money for a man of his age, with his fading powers (if it’s decided that his improving areas – creating from deep – aren’t needed).

You also feel that Michael Edwards knows what to do about situations like this. And another benefit of Edwards returning is that he knows virtually all the players from his time up to 2022; he knows the youngsters and their potential, as knowledge is handed over to the new manager.

Liverpool can also sell a few squad players for £10m-£20m, maybe up to £30m (Caoimhín Kelleher with a buyback) and loan others out, to finance a mini rebuild; for what will inevitably be called Slotball.

Slot seems like Xabi Alonso, Rúben Amorim and Roberto De Zerbi in his teams playing lots of fast, shorter passing; but if you have elite longer passers at the back (Trent Alexander-Arnold and Virgil van Dijk), you use the long diagonals.

Slot is not opposed to those passes.

“Before playing Marseille (in the Europa Conference League semi-finals in 2022), during training he told his midfielders to play long balls out to the wingers, over the top,” explains Krabbendam. “(Orkun) Kokcu, the midfielder, was so tired of it — he asked: ‘Why do we have to keep playing these long balls?’. Slot said he would explain later.

“In 20 minutes, Feyenoord were up 2-0 and both goals came from long balls behind the Marseille defence. He knew that was a weakness of Marseille. If you speak to the Feyenoord players — and it doesn’t matter which players — they will tell you that whatever this coach says, it happens. It’s remarkable. They have blind confidence in him because what he says comes true.”

Equally, while Feyenoord work high-xG chances, I don’t think you can ignore the shooting potential of Szoboszlai, Mac Allister, Alexander-Arnold, Elliott and others from distance, but I would limit the players who can take those shots, and the number.

So I don’t think he’d try to make Liverpool a Feyenoord MKII, but will tweak things, to get the best out of what he inherits.

This graphic (below) from The Athletic shows how rounded his team’s style is, but like Liverpool, it’s not high on “patient buildup”.

The ability to boss the ball but also press hard and go at teams relentlessly, without the desire to over-pass, is perhaps the closest similarity. At Feyenoord it’s been done with outstanding defensive metrics, too.

(The ultra-high line at Liverpool is slightly tougher now that van Dijk is only very fast, and not über-fast; ditto Joe Gomez after his injuries, and Ibrahima Konaté. None are now amongst the fastest defenders around – similar to Alexander-Arnold if he stays at right-back. But they’re not slow, and have other qualities.)

Above all else, Slot is a great communicator in English, and that’s what Liverpool need. Selling the vision to the players and the fans is a big part of modern management. Being positive, bullish, optimistic – it works. As long as it’s natural and not forced.

He knows how to win things against the odds, albeit in a lesser league with lesser players, but the ideas scale up. He’s done so with two outsider clubs, and while he will face challenges, he seems ideally suited to the challenge (amongst those who are available).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭dogbert27

His clause is 10 million, why are we haggling for 1 million?!

I forgot, Edwards is back! 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭dogbert27

He won the domestic cup at the weekend as well

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭WealthyB

Good God what an underwhelming candidate. I can't think of a single manager from the Dutch league who's done well in the Prem.

Put it like this, if United announced tomorrow they were sacking TenHag and getting this lad instead, I wouldn't lose any sleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,572 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Flawed logic. Can you name a manager from the German league who did well in the Prem before Klopp?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,530 ✭✭✭ronjo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,984 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Thud

he suits our style but do we want to continue with a style that breaks players and leaves us threadbare every year.

Maybe it's time for a change of style, wouldn't be against a less exciting style that delivered results without the player attrition

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

I'll probably wait until

a) he takes over;and

b) has a full season done.

before writing him off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

That's nice of you, the usual lads will be writing him off after the first loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭jones

This appointment is definitely underwhelming from a name point of view. I mean ten hag is a busted flush but he had a decent record in the Dutch league and did well in champions League so on paper he looks better than our apparent new man.

The comparisons to klopp are very flattering IMO klopp won German league and got to final in champions League (if I'm remembering correctly). No real comparison to what the new man has done. Are we getting to replace klopp with klopp-lite?

Luckily football isn't played on paper. Let's see how it goes.

Post edited by Necro on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

We can't replace Klopp with a like for like, he does not exist. The name maybe underwhelming to some, but the reality is, every candidate available is going to be a level or more below Klopp. I'm not sure what the alternatives for the club are?

Point remains regardless. No manager from the Dutch league has done well with an English team. In fact all have been nothing short of disastrous. Using Klopp, one of the highest sought after managers in the world of the last decade as a comparison will only lead to nonsense like the above.

This fella (who most football fans knew little to nothing about until this week) has no experience whatsoever in managing top players; his most expensive signing cost €3.5m. He doesn't have a glittering career working under the best like Alonso had, he has nothing that would inspire the current crop bar an Eredivise. Something Steve McLaren also has. I see mass transfer requests in the summer, Alisson and VVD among them.

As for incomings, we can't compete financially with City (or even Arsenal) so we previously relied on Klopp being a huge pull factor. That's gone now. I'd remind people Brendan Rodgers had Steven Gerrard sending texts to Toni Kroos sounding out a move. That's what we're back to under this lad. And don't pretend the club name is a massive pull factor, one season out of the CL and we're no more attractive a destination than Spurs or United.

This as an appointment is not only underwhelming, it's a gigantic gamble at best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

No manager is going to be a good enough name to take over from Klopp and people are in far better positions then us to make these appointments

Is "before Klopp" too difficult to understand?

Like most here, I know very little about Slot, and even Amorim. I'm just going to trust the paid professionals at the club on this one and trust their due diligence, systems and processes.

Not that many top level managers out there, all about finding the next one who could be elite potential and he seems to fit the bill.

We celebrate Edwards return and then bemoan his first decision

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭fyfe79

On the surface, yes, but if a manager doesn't work out (which is quite often), the club needs to pay out the sacked managers contract. Throw in a high fee for him and it would get very expensive very quickly if it didn't work out. A bench player would never need to be sacked, and if he's out of favour and wants to leave, the club would likely get a decent fee for him and get their wages immediately off the books. So it's a very different dynamic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,597 ✭✭✭brevity

Interesting video here from David Lynch

It sounds like we are getting a version of Klopp that left Mainz for Dortmund.

Statically he looks the business but it's skewed because the league is not one of the bigger ones.

It's also seems as though Edwards and co. want someone who can slot (😉) in without too much upheaval and change of styles.

Ah yes, the "trust the club" fallback when it's as obvious to all the massive gamble this is. I suppose you equally trusted them when they whittled their previous shortlist down to two of the biggest spoofers in the game, Brendan Rodgers and Roberto Martinez..

Just imagine the WhatsApp group chats between the players right now, they'll be as underwhelmed as most of the rest of us. Few I imagine will be saying "I trust the club to get it right".

Following Klopp is nigh on impossible, and yes I agree it's a bad summer to be looking for a new manager. Personally I'd be happy with someone keeping the seat warm if it meant we went all out for Alonso next summer but we both know he'll go to Real, a club that will match his ambition.

As I said at the start, if he was announced as Utd manager tomorrow I'd lose no sleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,306 ✭✭✭✭rob316

No one is going to be good enough to replace Klopp, he's a once in a 20/30 year manager.

Club is in a good place though, were not sacking our manager, proper sporting structure in place. I'm cautiously optimistic but there will be a lot of change, I do see key older players leaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

What are you saying though?

Who?

Who for a year in particular?

Why a year of Alonso is off to Madrid?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Has any bald manager ever won the Premier League without financial doping?

No.

Case closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭klose

Every manager bar Pep/Ancellotti is a risk / gamble / downgrade so people ought to get used to this for now as the speculation kicks up as nobody else out there is really an outstanding potential candidate bar Alonso and he’s staying put (he will be at Madrid next summer)

He’s underwhelming in as much as Andy Robertson was an underwhelming signing for lowly Hull City, worked out alright in the end.

The pool of actual experienced winning managers is very small now, all managers linked are the next generation of managers, so we are naturally going to be making a gamble.

If we could hire an experienced winning manager I'd pick Luis Enrique but I never saw the club going down that route.

Slot seems to tick alot of boxes but lacks top level experience, but he has to get that somewhere. Maybe he goes to Bayern next, is a success and then out of our reach. Arsenal pulled the number 2 from City, gave him time and its working out.

Everyone is trying to find the next best thing in management, that could be Slot, Amorim, you just don't know until they are given a chance at a top job.

Off the top of my head Inzaghi, Nagelsmann, Tuchel, Zidane and even Emery have more prestige and experience in managing top players at the highest level and crucially, are less of a risk than Slot. Trouble is they'd all cost a fortune and we know FSG won't sanction that.

So instead LFC, a club with supposedly Title and European Cup ambitions, is now instead shopping once again in the lower tier. You'd think they'd have learned their lesson with Rodgers and then Klopp. Night and Day.

As for the Andy Robbo comparison, it's never correct to use an outlier to compare against the norm. I can't think of any other relegated fullbacks that went on to be regarded as one of the best in the world.

Fact is, and there's no getting away from this no matter how it's spun, this is a massive massive gamble. I'll be the first to say how wrong I was if Slot proves me wrong, but again, I, and I'd be fairly sure most of the players, are currently feeling very underwhelmed by this potential appointment.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,168 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Just imagine the WhatsApp group chats between the players right now, they'll be as underwhelmed as most of the rest of us.

In all seriousness, who really cares if they are underwhelmed?

It's not their job to pick the manager and the manager position is more important than any single one of them. What would any of them know about picking the right man for the job?

If this hypothetical scenario of yours was true and the players were whinging about it before the new guy is even in the door then it would display a pretty big attitude problem and anyone whinging should be told where to go.

It's the players job to do what they're told and play football. When they get ideas above their station, and the tail starts wagging the dog, that's when things start to unravel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

And all maybe don't want to follow Klopp as they know they will be up against it right away and risk ruining any reputation they have. Where as as you say an underwhelming name will be up for the challenge.

We wanted Edwards back, he's done his thing, this is his pick. The man who spotted undervalued potential throughout his previous tenure at Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Lads, we have what, 5 gsmes and about 2 weeks left with the best manager we've had in modern times, while still involved in a title race.

Can we just enjoy the ride for a few weeks, there'll be time enough to worry about replacements and what not soon enough. Edwards and Co are paid millions to worry about these things so we don't have to.

Enjoy this moment, 'someday soon these will be the good old days "

Up the Reds!

Tuchel couldn't even win a one team league with a world class striker, wouldn't see zidane fitting us or would he even want to manage in England, Nagelsmann is german coach, Emery is brilliant but I have doubts on wether he can truly make the jump to the elite he's just a bit below. So your options are taking a gamble on potential.

So instead of hiring someone who's never managed a top club we should look at some guys who have been sacked by multiple top clubs?

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

I came into threads wondering how people felt on this appointment and this did make me laugh.

I can support the appointment but can’t say I’m not concerned. No experience in the Prem, of global fan bases, top tier CL exposure or managing star players/egos.

Despite all that, it’s the fact it keeps getting mentioned how similar his style in to Klopp both in terms of formation, pressing etc . I’m sad for Klopp to leave but ready fresh ideas in terms of tactics and approaches to games. Trying to follow Klopp seems destined to fail and what is needed is exactly what Klopp brought. A man with his own philosophy that transformed the club and not sure Slot is man to do that.

If it does work out then Edwards will truly be GOAT as this is be biggest money move ever if it works.

From reading what Feyenoord fans have to say he's "similar to Klopp" in that he likes to press high and aggressively, but he doesn't exactly play the same system. Biggest difference is that he tends to play with a 10 behind the striker in a 4231 (that being said, Klopp didn't bring his Dortmund formation to Liverpool so who knows)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I don't think you actually have ownership of the prescient points if the next manager isn't as good as Klopp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭garra

I'm OK with a "Night Watchman" type of appointment if we have a particular target in mind who will definitely be available in 2025, which may be the case here.

It could be the right time for some players to move on, however I don't see us spending big to replace them, with the caretaker in charge.

Which of our current squad is capable of, and wants to part of, the Slot machine is the question.

• Advertisement

Tuchel, the man who has famously fallen out with every club he has ever been involved with within 18 months and is on-track to somehow prevent Munich from winning a title. First time in 11 seasons.

Zidane hasn't managed in years and had a world class Madrid team under him when he was in charge of a team. He could be as big a fraud as any of them, we know absolutely nothing of his capabilities.

Emery has committed to Villa until 2027, and also failed miserably at a top club when he was in charge of Arsenal.

Nagelsmann has confirmed he is staying with Germany until after the world cup in 2026.

The truth is none of these guys are fit to tie Klopps boots. No matter who we go for is a risk and on a hiding to noting. So I'm not exactly sure what more you expect from the club on this one..

Post edited by Ottoman_1000 on

Not on the same scale but some of the reaction reminds me of the Ange appointment at Celtic, with fans saying they'd rather Roy Keane in charge!!

Rodgers had never won anything when we signed him.

Inzaghi has already said he's not leaving, so has Alonso. Zidane has had plenty of chances to manage teams in England and elsewhere but never has, same as when he was a player I just don't see him ever moving to the PL.

Emery is at the right level at his currrent club, same as with Sevilla before, to succeed. I honestly don't think he's the answer.

Tuchel and Nagelsmann would likely be on our list somewhere I reckon. Personally I wouldn't take either but you are right they have decent records and aren't that much of a risk. I think Nagelsmann signed a new contract this week though?

But you can't really hold the Dutch league against him as he hasn't yet managed (or played) outside of it.

Tuchel has the most undeserving reputation around as a "top coach". Awful football, falls out with everyone, failing to win the league at bayern is the ultimate black mark against him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

To be fair to him, even the likes of Mourinho and Conte couldn't win a league title with Harry Kane in the team, seems unfair to blame Tuchel 🤣

Club was run very differently back in 2012 compared to now.

FSG were still learning football and Michael Edwards was not sporting director then.

We've moved on, got Michael Edward's back at the club in this is his call and we have to trust him on this,

Also, you know nothing about Slot, and basing your opinion on that instead of researching him and seeing why Liverpool have made him their choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Hard to see us win the league now, looking at our remaining fixtures, I don't see us winning all 5, can see us dropping points either tonight or against Villa or Spurs. Even if we do somehow manage to win all our games, we need both Arsenal and City to drop points. I can see City dropping points, but, Arsenal look like they could win all their remaining fixtures, realistically Spurs are the only ones likely to take points off them. Had we managed a draw against Palace, we'd be in a great position, as it stands we are the outsiders of the 3.

Can't see United getting anything off Arsenal, their form is terrible, they haven't really anything to play for, won't want to do City or ourselves a favour and will be saving themselves for the FA Cup final. Arsenal also have Everton on the last day of the season, Everton will likely have nothing to play for, and if we're still in with a chance they won't try a leg in case they do us a favour, so can expect the floodgates to open early and often there.

Obviously we have to do our part by winning all our remaining matches, but, our hopes of winning the league hinge on Spurs, yes Spurs, so no hope 🤦‍♂️😱

League is gone, the loss to Palace confirmed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,808 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I understand the apprehension people will have with Slot, but how many had actually heard of him or considered him before his name popped up via journalists? Much like some of our signings this one has come out of left field and it is in the news now because it is being reported we are close to seemingly wrapping it up.

Just like every transfer window when we don't sign the name player, people seemingly just want a name as a manager and not what could be the best for the club. If whoever takes over does not win it will be a disaster, no matter their name.

Advertisement