Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Yes it's true, they could of course go ahead and incinerate them. However to me it would be a massive waste to have put so much effort into the collection to then not recycle them.

I think it's logical to assume they will eventually be recycled

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭bog master

Let's not forget our waste providers collecting less full recycling bins while ReTurn sends out another fleet of lorries to collect from the machines. What is that extra carbon footprint costing?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭esker72

I'm estimating there's about €350million euro being collected yearly in deposits. If the powers that be had just come out and said we're sticking 15c on each bottle as a recycling tax would there have been huge uproar? They could have used some of that money to incentivise the waste companies who collect the green bins to make sure the plastics and cans are separated out and recycled properly. The waste companies could incentivise users to recycle more through their pricing plans - eg subsidised credits if your green bin usage is higher than black bin etc. The remainder of the money could have been given to the county councils to fund better recycling such as green bins on streets or near shops.

I'd love to see how much of that €350 million is being used to run this return scheme which looks like it is so bad that it's in danger of making things worse through some people giving up on recycling. Not to mention the energy and fuel used by the machines and servicing them.

We seem to have put in a brand new system when there was a decent system (green bins) in place already and just expected the whole population to buy into something that really inconveniences them. The Irish public are pretty good at taking to new inititiatives (the smoking ban, plastic bags etc) but there's a point where people look at this scheme and say "that just doesn't make sense, I'm out".

• Registered Users Posts: 29,367 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

What you have expressed is an aspiration / probability only.

So there is no guarantee they will be recycled. Especially for the PET items.

They may eventually be recycled but it depends on demand and market value and shipping costs etc. They could end up being incinerated if the numbers dont stack up.

So we cant say they will be recycled for sure.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭JayRoc

I am one hundred per cent sure that if they had simply put on a 15c tax on each can (included in the price, not this nonsense of calculating your own total at the checkout) by now we would have all accepted it. They could have ringfenced the tax take for recycling, and some good might actually have come of all this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,996 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Recycling plastic is expensive and the process is a heavy pollutant. So it would be the opposite of logic.

The majority will still be incinerated (down cycled - turned into electricity) or exported for marginal amounts of recycling, then pellets will be sold back to manufacturers who get to display some bullshít recycling logo on their bottle to pretend they are environmental.

That product only has to be made from 25% recycled material as per the directive.

It's Green Theatre pure and simple, looking to do something without actually doing it and according to Green Peace making things worse.

This scheme does nothing to reduce use, and in the countries that have it, the use of single use plastic has never been higher.

But we will all be told this in 10 years time, when again we will be punished for being forced to do what the Green Man said.

But next time it will be different. Pinky Promise.

It would be far more environmental if every home in the state was provided with a burn barrel for plastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭Archeron

And were it not for greed and greenbeanery this was the perfect opportunity to do just that. I would have fully supported this scheme at four times the deposit IF it had only been only the actual problem items, small plastic bottles. They could have left the option to choose a can over a bottle and consumer habit could have brought a massive change if manufacturers saw a decline in plastic sales, but that option is gone now. I know it was mentioned that return said they needed the cans to fund the scam, another example of them making their problem our problem.

Some questions I'd love to ask return.

Why did they go on national media and tell us to contact them if we have any problems, yet totally ignore any communication?

Why are they deleting negative comments on social media? Or indeed fairly asked genuine questions.

Why the big charge on large bottles which were never a litter problem and which people need to avoid sickness from poor water supplies?

Why have they STILL made no comment on house bound or disabled people despite numerous questions and requests?

How much have they taken from the people of ireland in deposits that cannot be got back? In other words how much have they stolen from us?

I love this statement on their website too:

"The management and operation of the Deposit Return Scheme does not cost the public or government any money at all. '

Really? So the diesel costs to go back and forth to non working machines was just my imagination was it? Of all the deposits I've paid so far, I've got back 15c in three five cent coins. This has cost me money in both dodgy return fees and price increases.

I am doing everything possible to avoid taking part in their crap games, and no longer buy any cans or bottles on the go. Even though i really like pepsi max now and then with lunch, it's ribena for me now. I truly hope the manufacturers see a sharp decline in sales and support consumers in fighting against this scam.

A perfect chance to give the option to totally remove the plastic problem, but green greed fcuked that up totally.

All about the environment my arse, they couldn't have made a bigger balls of this if they'd tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,580 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

It has nothing to do with either green greed or even a green agenda. This scheme is set and run by the producers and retailers, for the sole purpose of trying to avoid any regulations that may have come in had we not hit our targets.

It is aimed solely at placing the burden on the consumers. They know that a certain % of deposits will never be reclaimed, that will more than pay for the scheme and it completely avoid the producers having to implement any changes to their products.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,875 ✭✭✭✭elperello

In my opinion, once the shop is open and deposit items are being sold the machines should be operational.

Shop open, machine open is the baseline for uptime.

Of course allowances must be made for breakdowns.

In the event of a breakdown it really doesn't matter whether the machine is shuttered or not.

It might even be better so that people can clearly see it's not available.

It could also prevent any further damage being caused until it's repaired.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭Tow

They don't fit in the machines is the real reason.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Advertisement

In the event of a breakdown it really doesn't matter whether the machine is shuttered or not.

Of course it does. If the machine is turned off, it can neither collect or relay data.

I think you also have to remember that Ireland's got a rather serious issue recruiting retail staff. There aren't a lot of people in most of those stores and when a machine breakdown happens, as it's not generating revenue, it's not going to be high priority.

I'm not convinced that closing a shutter in front of an RVM would affect those functions.

I never suggested it would.

I said when the machine is switched off.

These things are not shuttered because of a simple fixable flaw, keeping them on would just be a waste of money and again bad for the environment.

The couple I have seen shuttered have been that way now for over 3 weeks. I have also seen machines inoperable but not shuttered. In fact it's in the minority when I see a machine that actually looks like it may work. I have also seen one machine that isn't behind shuttering just plugged out, which seem to be it's permanent state.

If a machine is not on, it cannot collect and relay data, that is a simple fact.

Sorry, I thought you were referring to it being shuttered.

We are at cross purposes, no harm done.

Definitely not acceptable to have one down for three weeks.

Was there even another one working at the same place ?

Was there even another one working at the same place ?

No, big hand says no.

There were people there looking to use the bin though. I also did notice quite a few bags of rubbish beside the machines, which should be a clue.

Who would have thought we could go so drastically backwards when it came to something so simple.

The good news is the CEO of Re-Chit-Ching has assured us all these problems will be solved in a couple of weeks.

He didn't specify how, I presume the same way he was going sort out people who can't use the bins.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I'm also not very knowledgeable to the exact ins and outs but that is what the green party and many others say will happen. Thinking about it logically I'm not sure Eamon Ryan etc would be this excited about a scheme that incinerates returned materials

Recycling plastic is expensive and the process is a heavy pollutant. So it would be the opposite of logic.

Is the process of creating new plastic not also just as expensive and pouting?

The majority will still be incinerated (down cycled - turned into electricity) or exported for marginal amounts of recycling, then pellets will be sold back to manufacturers who get to display some bullshít recycling logo on their bottle to pretend they are environmental.

That's obviously auful if true but is there any proof of this actually happening to what we are putting into the RVMs?

That product only has to be made from 25% recycled material as per the directive.

That's still 25% more than what is recycled when a bottle is made from raw plastic. If they said it had to be 100% from the get go it would be completely unachievable

It would be far more environmental if every home in the state was provided with a burn barrel for plastic.

More environmentally friendly for us to burn plastic in our homes than to recycle 25% of it? Can you explain that logic?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,367 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

They "say" it will happen. So it's just an aspiration. We've been told a lot of stuff about recycling & this scheme that has turned out to be dubious \ misinformation or just plain lies. The Green Party got excited about diesel, remember how that turned out. They get "excited" about a lot of things that don't pan out the way they thought it would. How "excited" a politician gets about a scheme and whether the scheme will actually deliver on that are often strangers. Thinking about it "logically" there's no direct connection between the two.

Didn't the Green Party get excited, encouraging us to put cans and bottles in the green bin so that could be recycled? Well, how did that work out?

Remember the head of Re-turn telling people to contact him (!) if they had trouble with returns, or home deliveries.

Now, if you believed those spoofers would it be thinking "logically"?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

I have a cloud based digital clock on my wall but its stuck on the same time. It shows the correct time only twice a day, but according to the server stats it has 100% uptime.

So that's pretty good right?

Didn't the Green Party get excited, encouraging us to put cans and bottles in the green bin so that could be recycled? Well, how did that work out?

As it happens, really really well.

But now they changed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭jj880

Thread title should be amended to:

Deposit return scheme (Greenbeanery)

Encapsulates Re-Turn perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,309 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I just hope "The Green Police" can do an audit of all the emissions this scheme has created in new truck movements, machine manufacture, paper waste generated and electricity consumed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Excess profits made from this scheme, and they are profits, should be ring fenced and put towards initiatives that reduce waste..for example water fountains in public spaces where we csn fill reusable bottles with water on the go rather than buying bottled water.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

It was, is, and will continue to be nothing more than yet another "green" tax dressed up as a "good thing" and the "right thing".

As with all this Green nonsense, it's entirely ideologically driven with little consideration to how it would actually work in the real world - hence this mess of broken/unreliable machines, some stores participating and some not, having to look up barcodes on a website, and all the rest!

Meanwhile answers to questions like the actual figures or where the unclaimed money is going remain vague or unanswered - why? Because it's nothing to do with saving the planet and everything to do with enriching this latest quango. It's another Irish Water.. Force everyone to engage with it (in this case through the deposit charges) while those involved make money!

It's a scam. Pure and simple. It's been deliberately setup to be as inconvenient and opaque as possible.

My advice is that anyone annoyed about it stop wasting your time with it. Accept it for what it is - another stealth tax and profiteering exercise. Then continue as you always have. It's a lot less stressful.

My advice is that anyone annoyed about it stop wasting your time with it. Accept it for what it is - another stealth tax and profiteering exercise. Then continue as you always have. It's a lot less stressful.

Good advice. I have given up on it. Continue as you always have… not quite. I just bought a tub of Gatorade powder. It feels expensive at 45 euro, but if it gives me the equivalent of 20 bottles of gatorade, it will be 2.10 per 500ml, plus 20 deposits of 15 cent which would have been 3 euros. Plus I can feel smug that I have saved the environment 20 plastic bottles.

Now if only Irn Bru could be powdered!

Double post.

It's great they have ironed out all the bugs on the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭jj880

I go through phases of "not caring / moving on" to "if nothing is said now the next scam will be the same / worse"

Where you getting that price?

Recently got 5 ice stick trays to add to bottles of filtered water. Wouldn't mind some flavours now though.

There is a good deal of logic to your Gatorade workaround.

The way things are at the moment I wouldn't be surprised to learn that you are not alone.

With all the uncertainty changes in consumer preferences are likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

yesterday I had a BIG accumulation of plastic bottles to return, all my sparking mineral water. I had ‘em all “blown up” to go through, and it worked. As soon as I was through next person got the STOP sign as I had effectively filled the machine. They are effectively “too small” to be effective, or emptied too infrequently, trajectory pick. ALDI Nutgrove

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭vafankillar

still can't stand this entire scheme, both as a customer & a retail worker.

i dont drive, & my shopping i get on the way home form work (often work 6 days & get home too late to return to shop). so i either have to bring with me on the way to work or do on my day off. brought a fairly big bag of cans/bottles to get rid of on my way to work yesterday and of course, one place, emptying machine, other place was broken. ended up carrying around the bag on the train to work like a dope. (only cos i had quite a lot of a build up, otherwise would have dumped it, and wont do that again for sure).

then i get to work & our machine is finally getting installed, took the lads all day to install it, finally up & running today & caused lots of problems, for various reasons. also means there's extra paper/till work to fill out every night. along with emptying it etc. pain in the hole.

genuinely dont think there's ever been policy thats created so much issues/nuisance for such little reward.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement